Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton and Hove Albion (A) League 1 Saturday 8/8/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Re: Brighton and Hove Albion (A) League 1 Saturday 8/8/09.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Fine day, Played really well first half, and clung on in the second. Pretty much the perfect away smash and grab.

Firt time I'd seen any of the new signings and although I was pleased with all of them, I thought Hughes was fantastic.

Nice start to the season, and as others have said, Gillingham away in 1998 did cross my mind. Thats my straw and I'm going to clutch at it :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Ever so well done the lads - isn't it nice that we can be somebody else's "bogey team" for once? Brighton must hate playing against us!!!

One note of caution - I was a bit concerned to see that we had three players booked - at least one being for dissent, which is a bit stupid. In view of our still thin-ish squad it's not going to be too long at that rate before the apprentices will get games under their belt - the trouble is that Sod's Law will decree that some of our most influential players will get suspended under the totting-up rules just before we have to take on the likes of Leeds, Charlton, Colchester (!!!) et al.

Bookings were for Deeney, Richards and Parkin by the way. UTS...UTS...UTS :D

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:07 am

Just back.

First half is one of the most organised performances ive seen from a Walsall side. It was awesome to watch and I dont remember Ince doing anything all half. Most Brighton attacks were squashed before they were even in our half. Everyone knew what they were doing, and more importantly, what everybody else should be doing.

Second half was slightly worrying. Mark Wright was finding acres of space and Cox was having a go at cutting us open. In the second half I'd honestly say they lost it as much as we won it. They had 2 or 3 chances they really should have done better with (the ball that flashed across the top of the goal, that header that somehow went over the bar when it was easier to hit the target, Mark Wrights weak shot after his mazy run).

I stuck my headphones in at half time and the local moron pundits were saying Brighton lost the whole game with negative tactics rather than us winning. Thats very harsh (id say its only true of a couple of minutes in the 2nd half) as we played so well in the first half, but then these are the goons that, when a Brighton player tripped over the ball, made out he was so good at stepovers he even confused himself :roll:

Till was my MOTM. He ran them ragged and always seemed to have a fresh idea. He always seemed to be in the right place and wasnt scared to run with the ball.

Was it me or was it the most muted opening day ever? Not really too many songs.

Spoke to 2 Huddersfield fans on the train who'd been to Southend. They said watch out for the shrimpers right winger on sat as hes a fast ******

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:09 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Ever so well done the lads - isn't it nice that we can be somebody else's "bogey team" for once? Brighton must hate playing against us!!!

I brought a copy of 'When Saturday Comes' on the way down and it had a season preview. The Brighton fan said the team they hatemost is us after the 9 men fiasco then the mullering at Bescot. They must hate us more now! :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 am

very pleasing start .can't wait till saturday .

set the beers up Asps :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:00 am

Superb result. Everything in the world is so much better when the lads win.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:21 am

Very happy with the result yesterday.

We looked dangerous going forward and solid at the back. We got men forward, Till was superb on the ball. Always looked to take on his man with confidence and succeeded most the time.

When brighton attacked we got men behind the ball. Sometimes as many as 10. This made it hard for Brighton to break us down, limiting their chances to mostly long range.

The ones who played very well yesterday were Deeney, Till & Manny. All were fantastic throughout and it would difficult to chose which one deserved man of the match.

Great result to start off with, roll on Accy Stanley!

EDIT: and for what it's worth. We did sort of have 7 subs, O'Keefe and Westlake were there, but they were sitting outside the makeshift dressing rooms in the sun.

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 pm

enjoyable day out, a win few beers with brighton fans good weather too..!!

first half played really well , Parkin lead the line well ad Till murdered the left back , second half all brighton to be fair they should have scored Forster headed over when it looked easier to score , Ince dropped the ball from a cross from Cox but again they shot wide,

for reasons that puzzled most people Slade took off Dickinson ? he caused problems all the second half , but Hughes and Smith both looked solid to me.

MOM for me Manny Smith

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Great day out, good result. Also as an added bonus the blonde female steward also managed to fondle my right testicle :D

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:41 pm

tape66 wrote:Great day out, good result. Also as an added bonus the blonde female steward also managed to fondle my right testicle :D

I trust you reported this act of gross indecency.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:15 pm

very pleased with the result , hopefully we can build on this

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Till cold be the find of the season if yesterdays anything to go by, felt so good to actually have a proper right winger for a change, i personally thought steve jones played well on the left too, was abit suprised when he was subbed.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Exile wrote:Happy with that (and why shouldn't I be?). :D

Agreed .................Walsall, Bournemouth ,Rovrum and Luton all won.

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Luton drew 1-1. :)

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:31 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Till cold be the find of the season if yesterdays anything to go by, felt so good to actually have a proper right winger for a change, i personally thought steve jones played well on the left too, was abit suprised when he was subbed.

Have to agree with you there. Till was fantastic, never looked shy and always tried to beat his man when possible. If he can continue this form, he will be a bargain!

As for Jones, first half he looked dangerous, but seemed to fade out in the second half.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Bernie wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Very strange - why didn't we name two youngsters (Grigg, Adkins etc) on the bench for the experience ????

Perhaps unused substitutes cost a bit more money, or maybe it was just to save two bus fares down to Brighton. :)

Apparently, we travelled down on Friday afternoon and stayed overnight in a hotel, so I guess that your suggestion of an economy measure was very near the truth, Bernie. :D
Actually, I think that it was a very reasonable economy measure, given seaside hotel costs at this time of the year.

They stayed Friday night at the Thistle on the sea front. A twin room is circa £100 a night.
Last edited by Asps on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 pm

yoda wrote:Just back.

First half is one of the most organised performances ive seen from a Walsall side. It was awesome to watch and I dont remember Ince doing anything all half. Most Brighton attacks were squashed before they were even in our half. Everyone knew what they were doing, and more importantly, what everybody else should be doing.

Second half was slightly worrying. Mark Wright was finding acres of space and Cox was having a go at cutting us open. In the second half I'd honestly say they lost it as much as we won it. They had 2 or 3 chances they really should have done better with (the ball that flashed across the top of the goal, that header that somehow went over the bar when it was easier to hit the target, Mark Wrights weak shot after his mazy run).

I stuck my headphones in at half time and the local moron pundits were saying Brighton lost the whole game with negative tactics rather than us winning. Thats very harsh (id say its only true of a couple of minutes in the 2nd half) as we played so well in the first half, but then these are the goons that, when a Brighton player tripped over the ball, made out he was so good at stepovers he even confused himself :roll:

Till was my MOTM. He ran them ragged and always seemed to have a fresh idea. He always seemed to be in the right place and wasnt scared to run with the ball.

Was it me or was it the most muted opening day ever? Not really too many songs.

Spoke to 2 Huddersfield fans on the train who'd been to Southend. They said watch out for the shrimpers right winger on sat as hes a fast ******

That about sums it up for me also.

Special mention for the carvery in the Sportsman Pub next to the ground - £3.50 for a fine feast comparable to the Broadway & waiter service at the table so need need to wait 20 minutes to get served at he bar :P

Top weekend - Brighton is a great place, ideal for a short break, stag/hen do.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:57 pm

Been out of circulation, dedicated to working all weekend, so this is my first chance to post this weekend. :?

Totally pleased with three points in the first game of the season - didn't expect them so it's doubly superbly satisfying. :D

Sounded like a good first half but a struggle in the second. We did that too much last season, hope we get out of that habit double quick.

Otherwise, you can't do better than win away - so it's ACE!

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:35 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:

EDIT: and for what it's worth. We did sort of have 7 subs, O'Keefe and Westlake were there, but they were sitting outside the makeshift dressing rooms in the sun.

Correct - Win or draw bonuses have to be paid to all subs as well as the starting XI and so it probably has something to do with this. We must be being optimistic this season!!

Limits the exposure the younger lads are likely to have though if we only use 5 subs instead of the 7 most will be using.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 am

Great result!! Well done the lads. Sounds like Hutch might be making strides.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:37 am

Got train to Brighton from London at 11:30.
Spent and enjoyable 2 hours in the Morning Star pub.
Got stung on the neck by a wasp as I approached the ground.
Was then told I could not buy a ticket on the day, therefore missed the game.
Got train back to London.

To round off a miserable weekend, I got a third ball duck, yesterday :(

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:53 am

Duke wrote:very pleasing start .can't wait till saturday .

set the beers up Asps :wink:

What about Tuesday? :wink:

Yard of Ale for Saturday it is then :mrgreen:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Well what a weekend that was!!

Im still trying to recover. I think thats what happens when you try to out drink Asps :mrgreen:

The match itself wasnt too great to be fair, although the way we passed the ball around in the first half can only give us some optimism for the season ahead. I would be concerned as a Brighton fan because I thought they were woeful and will need to sign a few loans if they are to challenge near the top.

One word for the Walsall team......SHOOT. Too many times we tried walking the ball into the net.

Ince- Made a few dodgy attempts at punching the ball but made up for it with some cracking saves. 8
Weston- Every kick was a long hoof upfield only for the ball to go out for a goal kick/throw in. Was steady at right back but never ventured forward 6
Smith- Was it just me or was Manny out of position far too many times?? Hughes was always covering 6
Hughes- Probably my MOTM. Very composed and great tackler. 9
Vincent- Did ok on his debut but I do want him to get forward more and support Jones. 7
Till- Was a live wire all afternoon and the fullback couldnt stop him. I was impressed by him. 8
Richards & Mattis - Both were solid enough. 7
Jones- Wasnt given the ball that often, most of the play was to Till. 7
Parkin- Now...I hope that was a one off. How can someone that tall lose out to the centre backs so easily??? He did have a chance to score but fluffed it. I hope to see more from him 6
Deeney- Typical Deeney performance 7

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:59 pm

I have no reason to doubt your judgement as you went to the game, but if he 'never ventured forward' how did we score?

Other than that thanks, it's mainly positives so that's most pleasing.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:12 pm

What's with all the positive comments about Till? I thought he was a useless waster rejected by Grimsby? I'm not buying these comments judging him after people have seen him play.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:13 pm

yoda wrote:Mark Wright was finding acres of space

It must have been his excellent movement and running that created the space for himself, rather than slack marking.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:15 pm

TimWilkes wrote:To round off a miserable weekend, I got a third ball duck, yesterday :(

Quick, fire an e-mail off to the England selectors, you sound ideal for the next test line up. Three balls? Just the kind of stamina we need in the team.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
yoda wrote:Mark Wright was finding acres of space

It must have been his excellent movement and running that created the space for himself, rather than slack marking.

No need to mark him when all he does with the ball is run around like a headless chicken before delivering an awful ball behind the box. :mrgreen:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:What's with all the positive comments about Till? I thought he was a useless waster rejected by Grimsby? I'm not buying these comments judging him after people have seen him play.

Judge for yourself when Walsall play a little closer and you can be arsed to go :mrgreen:

addo
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 pm

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season