Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford United v. Walsall - Friendly - 1/8/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Hereford United v. Walsall - Friendly - 1/8/09

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Comments and predictions here.

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Hereford United v. Walsall - Friendly - 1/8/09

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 pm

I predict Duke will not be happy. :mrgreen:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Comments and predictions here.

I predict that WFC will get off scott free without a single murmur of dissatisfaction or critisism from anyone, despite promising Rushall that they would send a strong side this year, and then going back on their word and arranging the Hereford friendly!

Scumbags

WS1
UTS Regular

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:26 am

swiftyboy wrote:

I predict that WFC will get off scott free without a single murmur of dissatisfaction or critisism from anyone, despite promising Rushall that they would send a strong side this year, and then going back on their word and arranging the Hereford friendly!

Scumbags

YAWN.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:38 am

swiftyboy wrote:

Scumbags

No one cares about Rushall, other than the filth that inhabits it, including my mother. Dirty hole.
I like the sound of our new signing though... Scott Free :mrgreen:
Edit* The above quote was said tongue in cheek. I know there are some very nice people in Rushall , most of my family live there*

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 am

swiftyboy wrote:

Scumbags

Whatever we'd said to Rushall about sending a stronger side, it would have been totally wrong to have played our final friendly of pre-season against a side who have just been promoted to the NPL Division 1 (8th tier) side. That game needs to be against a side of comparable quality to ourselves: either a Football League side or a strong Conference side. It was Port Vale last season and I think that it's been the Villa and Manchester United XI games in other recent seasons.

If Rushall want to play a full strength Walsall side then the game needs to be at least a couple of weekends earlier. Playing such a weak side at the stage of pre-season when you're putting the finishing touches to things and looking to get a game that's maybe a bit more competitive than a normal friendly (and playing rivals like Vale and Hereford ought to give us that) would have been criminal. WFC need to look out for their own interests first, not Rushall's.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:36 am

WS1 wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Scumbags

YAWN.

Yes WS1, thats how boring you are

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:40 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Scumbags

Whatever we'd said to Rushall about sending a stronger side, it would have been totally wrong to have played our final friendly of pre-season against a side who have just been promoted to the NPL Division 1 (8th tier) side. That game needs to be against a side of comparable quality to ourselves: either a Football League side or a strong Conference side. It was Port Vale last season and I think that it's been the Villa and Manchester United XI games in other recent seasons.

If Rushall want to play a full strength Walsall side then the game needs to be at least a couple of weekends earlier. Playing such a weak side at the stage of pre-season when you're putting the finishing touches to things and looking to get a game that's maybe a bit more competitive than a normal friendly (and playing rivals like Vale and Hereford ought to give us that) would have been criminal. WFC need to look out for their own interests first, not Rushall's.

Its the way its handled though PH! WFC not giving a toss about anyone but themselves! The game is a big deal to Rushall. If WFC had any decency, they would at least have made the effort to re-arrange, and apologise, and to my knowledge they have done neither!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 am

swiftyboy wrote:The game is a big deal to Rushall. If WFC had any decency, they would at least have made the effort to re-arrange, and apologise, and to my knowledge they have done neither!

Is it such a big deal? No. If Rushall cared one iota they'd not have arranged a game this year, against Walsall (wait for it....) Youth! :roll:

Anyway, this is about the Hereford game.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:54 am

Exile wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:The game is a big deal to Rushall. If WFC had any decency, they would at least have made the effort to re-arrange, and apologise, and to my knowledge they have done neither!

Is it such a big deal? No. If Rushall cared one iota they'd not have arranged a game this year, against Walsall (wait for it....) Youth! :roll:

Anyway, this is about the Hereford game.

Hang on Exile! The point of my post is that WFC promised they would send a strong team this year, which in turn would attract a bigger crowd (mainly Walsall fans) but it will probably only be the youth team again now, as WFC changed the friendly to the Hereford one!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 am

swiftyboy wrote:Its the way its handled though PH! WFC not giving a toss about anyone but themselves! The game is a big deal to Rushall. If WFC had any decency, they would at least have made the effort to re-arrange, and apologise, and to my knowledge they have done neither!

It's difficult to comment on that score without knowing all the details. How much say did WFC have in the date of the game? I really don't see that we'd have agreed to send a full strength side (or even a stronger one than last season - which isn't necessarily the same thing) in the full knowledge that the game would be on the last Saturday before the season started. It doesn't fit with the way that we (or any other side) have prepared for any season in the recent past.

Has there been a disagreement over dates between the two clubs? Maybe because the NPL season starts a week later than the FL and Rushall don't want to play what's likely to be their most attractive friendly close to a month before their league season starts. If so, then WFC may feel that they're doing ROFC a favour by sending any team at all on that weekend rather than insisting on playing the game in mid-July (possibly midweek also). Indeed, ROFC may feel that too - although obviously they'd prefer a full strength side and a Saturday in August it's possible that given the choice of one or the other they'd prefer the Saturday to the full team.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Scumbags

It worries me to read someone as knowledgeable as your good self, PH, stating that "That game needs to be against a side of comparable quality to ourselves: either ........................... or a strong Conference side".

Blimey, are you expecting us to be comparable with the top of the Conference? Sounds less than promising :? :)

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:21 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Scumbags

It worries me to read someone as knowledgeable as your good self, PH, stating that "That game needs to be against a side of comparable quality to ourselves: either ........................... or a strong Conference side".

Blimey, are you expecting us to be comparable with the top of the Conference? Sounds less than promising :? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As comparable as we are with someone like Villa, who we've also played in late friendlies recently. Burton beat us two weeks before the start of the season last year. The comparison only needs to be pretty vague, so that the game is competitive and we have to work (even if the final result ends up 2 or 3 nil either way). ROFC wouldn't provide that - they could only compete by being more physical than is desirable in pre-season (and even then they'd almost certainly be woefully short so much earlier in their part-time pre-season). It's probably unlikely to be a good idea to play another League 1 side also.

In any event, we're playing what ought to be a strong League 2 side. I'd rather play a middling Championship side, but Hereford's not a bad call to give us a workout - especially away. :wink: :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:54 am

Exile wrote:I predict Duke will not be happy. :mrgreen:

:twisted: :wink:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am

The uts charasmatic engima and uts icon Big Baz 1 shall be attending this match. Then after the game i shall be heading straight to the uts pool tournament.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:01 pm

big baz 1 wrote:The uts charasmatic engima and uts icon Big Baz 1 shall be attending this match. Then after the game i shall be heading straight to the uts pool tournament.

I see you still haven't sought counselling, regarding your masochistic tendencies ?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:42 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:The uts charasmatic engima and uts icon Big Baz 1 shall be attending this match. Then after the game i shall be heading straight to the uts pool tournament.

I see you still haven't sought counselling, regarding your masochistic tendencies ?

I'm sure Bazz would prefer to call his little issue a matter of resilience and fortitude in the face of overwhelming odds. :D

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:

It's even worse for me. Me, the missus and the kids are going down to meet a couple we recently met on holiday. As they're entertaining us all day at their gaff and the fact that he's a Hereford season ticket holder I think it only polite to watch the game from the home end. So if you see someone jump up if/when Walsall score and then get a good beating from the locals please feel free to wave a cheery hello :shock: :wink:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Tinned if you get battered by hereford fans because you jumped and cheered when walsall scored . I shall help out by dishing out big baz beatings to the hereford fans

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:57 pm

big baz 1 wrote:Tinned if you get battered by hereford fans because you jumped and cheered when walsall scored . I shall help out by dishing out big baz beatings to the hereford fans

You silly boy.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:36 am

I shall be at Hereford, and I even have 'er indoors' permission to say that....... I'll be the grumpy old dodgy-looking bloke with a red and white scarf!!! Oh, and I should (if I remember to take it) be carrying a notebook and pen so I can post a report early Sunday morning after belting round Port Talbot with the taxi Saturday night!!!

Last time I went to Hereford it was very very very cold - should be better than that mow, just very very wet...

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Hereford 0-1 Walsall

Super Sammy Parkin gets his first goal

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Jockey wrote:Hereford 0-1 Walsall

WM are saying its Roberts.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:20 pm

what's the team?

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:22 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

Ive had two texts from the ground saying it was Parkin??

We're winning 1-0 from a goal by a baldie, just dont know which one :mrgreen:

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:27 pm

WM said Roberts initially but during the half time updates they said it was Parkin. Deeney came on for Nicholls at HT.

Anyone know why Richards is in the centre when we have Mattis, Bradley, Taundry, O'Keefe and Davies who play there?

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:40 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

Don't trust WM with anything. These are the same people who said that we were gonna be sold and that were in talks with Lee Naylor.

Anyway i don't care who scored, as long as we win. :mrgreen:

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:43 pm

60 odd Saddlers, amongst a crowd ( or is that a gathering ? ) of 590.

WFC performance " not very encouraging " - WM.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:46 pm

CocaCola_Saddlers wrote:
Anyone know why Richards is in the centre when we have Mattis, Bradley, Taundry, O'Keefe and Davies who play there?

I expect the managment want another good look at him, prior to a deciding
whether or not he deserves a deal.

coventriansaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:47 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Scumbags

Its the way its handled though PH! WFC not giving a toss about anyone but themselves! The game is a big deal to Rushall. If WFC had any decency, they would at least have made the effort to re-arrange, and apologise, and to my knowledge they have done neither!

Another weak and to be honest pointless swipe at the club! Why bother? you spend more time slagging the club off than breathing it seems. But do you have to drag every thread into it. Yes, you dont like Walsall football club, we all get it. I came on here to read/talk about the Hereford game, not about hope hard done by Rushall are. And by the way, have they actually complained? No is the answer!

Next
Return to 2009-10 Season