Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Mansfield Town v. Walsall - Friendly 28/7/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
danksy9
UTS Regular

Re: Mansfield Town v. Walsall - Friendly 28/7/09

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Just got back from the game at Mansfield and what a joke it was to say the least! For the people that say its a young side , congratulations for pointing out the obvious! But the fact is other than the lads on the bench this is the first team for this season!

Gilmartin - No communication for the first goal to tell Hughes he had time! second goal was a set piece that really he should have come for in his 6 yard box and never did! Kicking again was awful.

Hughes - Looked very shakey and uncomfortable wasn't commanding , poor tackling and his passing was awful! Can see now why Northampton were relagated if this was the type of performances he puts in! Not a replacement for Gerrard at all.

O'Keefe - Out of his depth completely , he looked lost for most of the game , gave the ball up very cheaply and very easily and looked un-interested with anything. Also didn't seem to have a clue positionaly where to go or what to do! Didn't look like a player who'd been playing/training at a premierleague club at all.

Till - Drifted in and out of the game , done well for the goal but he couldn't really miss from 8 yards out with an open goal in front of him.

Parkin - Being played as a support striker and never really got going , never won a ball all match in the air and the guy marking him was a good 4-5 inches shorter than him. Continually tried to do a silly star flick header which never came off and also tried the round the corner ball to nobody to many times.

Jones - I have said it before and i'll say it again he's not a striker and if he is then im Adolf Hitler. Lets play him on the wing where he should be playing anyway and lets see what he can do then! Id also just like to say to Jones to concentrate more on playing for Walsall than for Northen Ireland as i don't think he'd get into a San Marino starting 11 never mind Northen Ireland

Watching what was on show tonight again seemed very much like putting square pegs in round holes , the calibre of players that have been brought in are no better than what we already have or had.

Yes before people jump on the band wagon and say its only a friendly ( And yes i agree friendlys don't really matter) Its these games that show you what your missing and what needs adjusting and adding to the squad. And on reflection i really wouldn't know where to start and don't envy O'conner or Hutchings with the impossible job in hand.

May i also point out that former Chasetown player Kyle Perry was one of the main threats for Mansfield and neither Hughes or Smith could handle him. I have lost track how many times we had him on trial with Walsall and nothing ever came of it. On his showing tonight he looked 10 times the player Sam Parkin is and would have been a good gamble. Also Mansfield had a guy playing on the wing called Ryan Williams who totally made us look stupid. He was quick , direct and got a really good cross on him. Between him and Perry they really put Walsall to the sword and Mansfield looked more like the league club than Walsall did

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:32 pm

scott_powell wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Oh for god sake this is pathetic. Its a friendly. It means nothing.

Exactly

The squad was pretty young anyway

It is a pre season friendly, and as such it means nothing, but in all honesty it's pretty embarrassing. It may be a young team, it was made up of a fair bit of our first team. It's not good , it's never good to lose to mansfield, although we are pretty good at it.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks Danksy9 for the report albeit grim reading.

danksy9
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Asps wrote:Thanks Danksy9 for the report albeit grim reading.

Its ok mate , unfortunatly you got the nice part of just reading it , i had to sit and indure watching it. And it really was bad!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:54 pm

Hmm 7 possible first teamers and we lose to a conference side..shocking.

We need to be breeding a winning mentality. I think the Hereford game is very important, we have to play well and win so we can hit the season running against Brighton.

Gilmartin is cack.

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Hmm 7 possible first teamers and we lose to a conference side..shocking.

We need to be breeding a winning mentality. I think the Hereford game is very important, we have to play well and win so we can hit the season running against Brighton.

Gilmartin is cack.

Gilmartin is utter cack.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:58 pm

caught_u_red_handed wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Hmm 7 possible first teamers and we lose to a conference side..shocking.

Gilmartin is cack.

Gilmartin is otter cack.[/quote]

That get's my seal of approval

danksy9
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Gilmartin isn't even a goalkeeper he's tommy tank. Told him on his facebook page to give me his bloody shirt and i'll show what a proper goal keeper is

Scooby
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 pm

I was another of the fool-hardy few at Field Mill. 'Deep breath'. . . . where do I start. . . .yes I know it was a friendly but my god it showed a few weaknesses. First half we were a shambles, second half we improved to a competitive non-league side!

GILMARTIN-god help us if Clayton gets injured or suspended, awful kicking, absmyl decision making and communication
WESTLAKE was given a torrid time first half, improved second half but nowhere near good enough for league one.
VINCENT-steady but did not really impress enough for me, average at best.
HUGHES-good on the deck and in the challenge but is way to slow and can't head it.
SMITH-committed but not good enough, his distribution was poor and his marking even worse. A sub for me at best.
TILL-he did ok, did'nt give it away and looked our most attacking player.
ADKINS-too much for the lad, needs a stint on loan somewhere.
O'KEEFE-too lightweight and probably the worst player on the field. Passing poor. Headless chicken.
BRADLEY-probably M.O.M, kept wanting the ball and generally used it well.
JONES-he aint a striker, showed some nice touches but on the whole was poor
PARKIN-thought he did ok, missed a chance he created for himself and did try and link the play, but he aint a patch on Ibhere or Ricketts.

CONCLUSIONS
We are desperate for a ball-winning centre half with a bit of experience (no Roberts is not the answer)
We need a creative centre midfielder, Bradley and Mattis are ok but they don't exactly 'split' defences. O'Keefe on that evidence would struggle in the stiffs!
We need a centre forward to push Parkin and Deeney-Jones is a winger!(Nicholls aint the answer)

S44stag

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 am

Mansfield fan in peace here!

Tonight was a good result for us however wasn't sure whether that was your first team or a bunch of reserves (only really noticeable one is Sam Parkin for obvious reasons) so came on here to check, feel sorry for you if they are first teamers and that's not meant in a nasty manner.

I thought you played some nice football at times but were a little slow on the ball which we punished you on a lot of times with our fiery players; Briscoe for example the lad on the wing often went flying in and won the ball back. Your defence looked like they didn't know each other one bit and there was a serious lack of communication from where I was sitting, I'm sure given a bit of time to gel they could get better but without blowing our own trumpet our defence (which is the best it's been in years) was a lot better than yours tonight.

For those who didn't go tonight 3 of the goals were defensive errors. I wouldn't be too harsh on the defender Hughes as he had to do something as Duffy was right behind him to poke home but maybe a shout from the keeper would've helped... The free kick was put in a great area but it's always a defences job to get rid, I thought your keeper should've collected that and for your goal our defence went crazy for 10 seconds which left Till to slot it home.

As someone has mentioned a few of our players gave your defence the runaround tonight, Kyle Perry was excellent again and shown he is a big lad who can still play it about on the floor. I also thought Briscoe (Young bald lad on the right wing) terrorized your players at times with his strength and pace, he was vital in us winning tonight and it showed when he got took off after about an hour, he'll be knocking on the Championship door in a years time anyway.

Don't be too disheartened, you showed you can play IMO just need to tighten up at the back going by that performance. Best of luck.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:10 am

I suppose Arsenal are bricking it after drawing with Barnet last week? I doubt it.

The usual suspects ignore the fact our first team competed well against Wolves and Albion (probably cos they weren't there) and choose to focus on our youth team losing to Mansfield.

In all honesty none of these scores will tell us how we will do this season but are an opportunity for Hutch to see which players are ready and where he needs to strengthen and spend his remaining budget so last nights game is very beneficial to him.

Sorry not to be suicidally negative.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am

Mate, that isn't our youth team, only Westlake and Adkins who wont be in and around the first team. It is only a friendly, but it is a bit worrying to get dicked so easily by Mansfield. I'm not ready to jump off a cliff or anything. You can't make everything in to a positive though.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Mate, that isn't our youth team, only Westlake and Adkins who wont be in and around the first team. It is only a friendly, but it is a bit worrying to get dicked so easily by Mansfield. I'm not ready to jump off a cliff or anything. You can't make everything in to a positive though.

To be honest, I'd suggest Mansfield were just 'up for it' and we werent, no biggy, but it would be nice to get a win at Hereford before the season starts

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:The usual suspects ignore the fact that our first team competed well against Wolves and Albion (probably cos they weren't there) and choose to focus on our youth team losing to Mansfield.

In all honesty, none of these scores will tell us how we will do this season but are an opportunity for Hutch to see which players are ready and where he needs to strengthen and spend his remaining budget; so last nights game is very beneficial to him.

Good response, MMF. I can remember us beating the Villa at the start of the season in which we were relegated!

Small point - it wasn't our youth team. 6 or 7 of last night's squad are likely to be in the starting line-up at Brighton, with a further 3 on the bench.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:26 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Mate, that isn't our youth team, only Westlake and Adkins who wont be in and around the first team. It is only a friendly, but it is a bit worrying to get dicked so easily by Mansfield. I'm not ready to jump off a cliff or anything. You can't make everything in to a positive though.

To be honest, I'd suggest Mansfield were just 'up for it' and we werent, no biggy, but it would be nice to get a win at Hereford before the season starts

Then I would suggest that Hutch pulls his finger out and gets them "Up for it" Winning is a habit "Chris Nicholl" and many other great managers I'm sure.

Insane Saddler!

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:15 am

The 'Slit your wrists brigade' are at it again! Some of the Walsall fans are a joke on here... we lose a pre-season friendly and its time to slate all the new signings, kill the kids off as no-hopers, and tell Hutch and O'C something that they don't already know in that there's work to be done!!

Lads and lasses, you cannot tell anything much from a pre-season friendly, enough said.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:The usual suspects ignore the fact that our first team competed well against Wolves and Albion (probably cos they weren't there) and choose to focus on our youth team losing to Mansfield.

In all honesty, none of these scores will tell us how we will do this season but are an opportunity for Hutch to see which players are ready and where he needs to strengthen and spend his remaining budget; so last nights game is very beneficial to him.

Good response, MMF. I can remember us beating the Villa at the start of the season in which we were relegated!

Small point - it wasn't our youth team. 6 or 7 of last night's squad are likely to be in the starting line-up at Brighton, with a further 3 on the bench.

OK but the goals where defensive errors, right? We will have Clayton back in goal and Vincent, Hughes, Roberts, Weston across the back for the start of the season (and Hutch has said he is looking for another defender) which although isn't as good as Fox, Dann, Gerrard, Weston is by no means the worst defense in the world...

And with regard to the rest of the squad, over the last few seasons, we have not had extravagant strength in depth anyway. We have a decent/average starting 11 so the suicidally negative fans need a massive reality check! I'm not suggesting or expecting a promotion push this year to be honest but it never seems to amaze me when people on this board wildly over-react to a pre-season friendly!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:51 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:I suppose Arsenal are bricking it after drawing with Barnet last week? I doubt it.

The usual suspects ignore the fact our first team competed well against Wolves and Albion (probably cos they weren't there) and choose to focus on our youth team losing to Mansfield.

In all honesty none of these scores will tell us how we will do this season but are an opportunity for Hutch to see which players are ready and where he needs to strengthen and spend his remaining budget so last nights game is very beneficial to him.

I was just going to post something similar to this.

Completly agree

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 pm

It never ceases to astonish me that anyone reads anything positive or negative into pre season games. Didn't Newcastle win all of theirs last year? Remind me what happened to them again?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Based purely on second-hand feedback from preseason and a bit of guesswork, my team for Brighton would currently be:
Ince
Weston, Roberts, Hughes, AN OTHER (Vincent, Richards, depending who we sign)
Taundry, R Davies, Mattis, Jones
Parkin, Deeney
Bench: Gilmartin, Smith, Westlake, Nicholls, Bradley, Grigg, Till

So potentially as many as eight changes to the starting XI from last night.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Based purely on second-hand feedback from pre-season and a bit of guesswork, my team for Brighton would currently be:

Ince
Weston, Roberts, Hughes, AN OTHER (Vincent, Richards, depending who we sign)
Taundry, R Davies, Mattis, Jones
Parkin, Deeney
Bench: Gilmartin, Smith, Westlake, Nicholls, Bradley, Grigg, Till

I think that you will be close to the mark there but I suspect that Smith will be preferred to Roberts and Bradley over Davies (much as I rate the latter).

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:36 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I suppose Arsenal are bricking it after drawing with Barnet last week? I doubt it.

Completly agree

Especially as our first team are playing a closed doors friendly against Bristol City today. But still let’s not miss an opportunity to have a go at the team.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Completly agree

Especially as our first team are playing a closed doors friendly against Bristol City today. But still let’s not miss an opportunity to have a go at the team.

You'll find that some of our possible first team played last night - possibly 6 or 7 of them, to be precise. Comfort yourself if you wish that it was only 'a scratch team', but IMO it was more than that, which is why it is worrying. Friendlies don't count, we all know that, and if it had have been a squad of youngsters with a handful of first team appearances between them, I would have just ignored it. The fact that this was not the case is the reason to be concerned and it tends to reinforce a view that we have one of the weakest squads in the division at the moment.

One other thing - my hopes for this season are not very high, if we avoid relegation or a relegation scrap then we will do well. But those low expectations do not prevent me being concerned about what went on at Field Mill last night.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:01 pm

I agree with mmf

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:05 pm

so you would not find a place on the bench for okeefe then rs

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:13 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Completly agree

It isn't an opportunity to have a go at the team at all. Not from me anyway. I just find it a little concerning we got turned over so easily. It wasn't a youth team out there, which is what some are trying to suggest. Less than 2 weeks before the season kicks off, I find it quite disturbing, even if it was a friendly.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:09 pm

windowman wrote:so you would not find a place on the bench for okeefe then rs

Only because I haven't seen him play, and I've seen all the others. So far no one has come away from a friendly singing his praises so by that reckoning he's 4th out of our midfield 4. Hopefully he's just settling in and will be pushing for a first team starting place soon, otherwise there was no point in signing him.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 pm

You'll find that some of our possible first team played last night - possibly 6 or 7 of them, to be precise. Comfort yourself if you wish that it was only 'a scratch team', but IMO it was more than that, which is why it is worrying. Friendlies don't count, we all know that, and if it had have been a squad of youngsters with a handful of first team appearances between them, I would have just ignored it. The fact that this was not the case is the reason to be concerned and it tends to reinforce a view that we have one of the weakest squads in the division at the moment.

One other thing - my hopes for this season are not very high, if we avoid relegation or a relegation scrap then we will do well. But those low expectations do not prevent me being concerned about what went on at Field Mill last night.

I think the key words here are possible first team.

I was the 40th fan last night but went in the main stand as it was a much better view. It wasn't great by any means and the first half was awful but it was far from our strongest team and I thought it was pretty obvious that some of the "possible first team" were there for fitness first and football second.

Add to that, Mansfield were a big, physical side and certainly far more 'up for it' than we were. I think Hutchings was probably suprised by how much and it showed in the second half when they made about 7 substitutions and we made none. The really young lads would have struggled - as did Westlake and Adkins for the first hour - if they had come on in such a game.

To suggest 6-7 of the team last night will start at Brighton is pushing it a bit. That would mean that some of Ince, Weston, Richards (hopefully), Roberts, Mattis, Nicholls and Deeney plus at least one, possibly two new signings won't start which I find hard to believe. The aforementioned were being held back for Bristol City today and it sounds like they did well so perhaps there is a little room for optimism.

We are still IMO a long way from challenging for promotion with even the PO looking a big stretch. But there was enough last night to suggest that Jones, Parkin, O'Keefe (although he was poor for large parts) and especially Till will add a lot more when they are fully fit. Adding them to the ones who beat Bristol would give me a lot more confidence and in the end, fitness and sharpness is what these friendlies are all about.

I was surprised at the suggestion that Bradley was MOM. In my eyes, he is the one youngster who has gone backwards in the last couple of years and apart from a 20 min spell at the start of the second half, I thought he was poor both in his passing and more obviously, his sharpness. Lets hope it comes back because he has potential and two seasons ago looked the next installment to Bonsor's retirement fund. But he was a million miles from that form last night.

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
windowman wrote:so you would not find a place on the bench for okeefe then rs

Only because I haven't seen him play, and I've seen all the others. So far no one has come away from a friendly singing his praises so by that reckoning he's 4th out of our midfield 4. Hopefully he's just settling in and will be pushing for a first team starting place soon, otherwise there was no point in signing him.

saw him against wolves and baggies,not fantastic but sure there is plenty to come from the kid over the coming months

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season