Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Saddlers v. the Dirty Dingles - 21/7/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Saddlers v. the Dirty Dingles - 21/7/09

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:04 pm

1-0 to the Dingles after quarter of an hour.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Pedagogue wrote:1-0 to the Dingles after quarter of an hour.

Andy Surman with the goal.

To be honest until I saw the team tonight it makes you realise that we are still 5/6 players short of competing towards the top of league 1

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Still 0-1, early in the second half (62 minutes). Scrappy game according to BBC Radio Dingle. Precious little goalmouth action.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Quote from the Radio Dingle commentator, with about 10 minutes left "Wolves are about to make their first substitution. Most of the Walsall bench are up, so I won't bother with them. Oh, Grigg's coming on for Parkin.".

Still 0-1, by the way.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Final Score:-

Saddlers 0 1 Dingles

Surman (16 mins.)

Taundry was the pick of the Walsall side, according to Radio Dingle. Mick Kearns said that it was a good work-out for both teams and Will Grigg looked better than Nicholls and Parkin. Sansara injured (not too serious, apparently).

Attendance:- nearly 6,000 (mostly Dingles)

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Attendance:- nearly 6,000 (mostly Dingles)

Nice that they happily paid 12 quid to see their team take on the mighty Saddlers.
:D

no d dosh

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:03 pm

just shows what a small club we are! why didnt my dad take me to watch a big club with real fans and not let this mickey mouse club get in my veins

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:11 pm

My thoughts on the game...Hughes looks a decent player, the kind thatll throw himself in front of anything.

Rene started the game, don't know if we should read anything in to that.

Sansara doesn't look good enough IMO, Vincent, when he came on, showed much more composure, and as we know from our experience with Palmer last season, composure is more important than just hoofing it away and losing possession.

Manny Smith looked his usual self, I hope he gains a bit more composure and decisiveness as he plays more games.

O'Keefe was a bit disappointing to be honest, didnt really get in to the game much, and he looks like he could do with a bit of strength training.

Peter Till played most of the match, and look OK, didnt set the world alight.

Richard Taundry looked excellent, looked like he'd lost a bit of weight, and played more attacking than he did last season. In the first half, he was the source of everything decent we did.

Sam Parkin looked OK, but its hard to judge a target man when the service to him was poor. He had a decent touch and linked up well.

Deeney battled hard when he game on, but still lacks that extra yard of pace that would make a real difference.

Sam Adkins looked like a boy in a mans game.

Will Grigg looks a real, real prospect. He's got a good touch, good leap, a bit of pace, vision...certainly one who will break through this season.

Still no sign of Steve Jones.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:17 pm

Didn't go, for all the same well-known reasons as before, but I honestly can't understand all the moaning about the admission fee. £12 to see Walsall take on Wolves seems fine to me, so that's one thing I won't be criticising JB or the club for. :?

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:29 pm

Just came back and was impressed with the second half, where as the first i thought we were very poor.

Some of the key players.

Hughes- i was impressed by him seemed to want to win the ball at all times and looked alert at the back
Parkin- Brilliant tonight was always at the heart of the action and looks like a qaulity signing. Deserved MOM
Deeney- played well and had the best chances
Ggg- came on and looked lively
Gilmartin- Very dodgey kicking
Tll? - looked ok and had a few decent runs
Vncent- OK didnt really do anything.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:32 pm

On that perfomance i would get Till & Vincent in, but still feel we need another winger, a proper finisher infront of goal, another center half and some sort of play maker, we still look deviod of ideas IMO, no one with any real spark, like what Zaaboub gave us when Hutchings took over, I must say that footballing wise i thought we played some nice stuff, some nice one touch passing and Wolves are a prem side ....... How did Ebanks-Blake score so many last year!?!?!? He has no pace, smaller than Taundry and looks like he's sampled far too many balti pies.
Last edited by bleed_red_n_white on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Gilmartin - Didn't have to do much
Ince - Did ok. Came out when he had to
weston - All he does is hoof it and he doesn't go forward enough. We played far better without him
Westlake - Looks a good prospect. I like the fact he gets forward a lot. Put one superb ball in!
Smith - Didn't put a foot wrong. Solid performance
Hughes - Good replacement for gerrard. He looks solid
Roberts - Solid
Sansara - I wasn't too impressed
Vincent - Very composed player. I like the look of him
taundry - Our best player i thought. Looked such a threat down the wing. Looked a lot quicker too
adkins - Looked ok. You could tell he hasn't got much experiance
O keef - I was a little disapointed. Wasn't awful but i had higher expectations
bradley - Looked very composed and played well
Mattis - Battled well and got stuck in. A good solid performance
till - I like the look of him. Good movement and has a few tricks up his sleeve
Geades - Didn't really get the ball much and didnt have much time to impress
Parkin - Great at bringing players into play. Worked hard too. I like the look of him
Nicholls - Wasnt to impressed with him. Didn't really get into the game but he didn't do anything wrong
Deeney - I thought he played really well. Was strong and linked up really well with others
Grigg - Very exciting prospect!! One to watch out for next season. I just hope he gets the chance

Overall a good performance against a strong wolves side. Some of the football in the second half was really nice to watch. Slick passing and good movement :)

Insane Saddler!

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Went to the game tonight and on the whole we looked quite promising.

Its hard to tell anything much from a pre-season friendly but I thought it was a good workout for the lads. It was also good to see what some of the youngsters can do, at the same time give them some experience. We looked quite good in the second half in particular, and could have easily scored two. Parkin hitting the post with one effort and the young lad Will Grigg, who does look a real prospect, having another really good effort, where he showed good pace to get through the centre of the Dingles defence and couldn't quite finish.

I like the way we try to play football under 'Hutch and O'C' and with a bit more experience I think we could be in for an interesting season.

Wolves didn't look much considering they're 'Premier League', we played the better football on the whole, and Ebanks-Blake needs to lose some weight if he's going to cut it in the top-flight!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Attendance tonight: 5,867, including 3,390 away fans.

coventriansaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:48 pm

didnt make the game, but I think Till should get the "derisory" offer that was there for Palmer and from what I've read we should give Vincent a year and then maybe have a little look for another midfielder? and save some for loans.

laurenwfc

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Thoughts on some of the players from tonight;

Sam Parkin - I thought Parkin played well and deserved his MOM as he seemed to be bossing things up front, had a couple of ok shots on goal. Fairly promising.
Mark Hughes - Hughes was good, seemed to put himself in front of anything, looks promising.
Will Grigg - I think Grigg has real prospect,seemed to have good touch and good pace. Definitley one to break through this season.
Sam Adkins - I thought when he first came on, he tried hard but the longer he was on his youth seemed to show.
Troy Deeney - Deeney seemed to try hard when he came on, seeming very determined to prove himself, although he lacked the pace that would make a real difference to his play.

Was suprised not to see Steve Jones playing.

:)

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Was a decent performance and we were certainly brighter second half, and gave the Dingles very little by way of chances after the goal, the stand out players for me were (both good and bad)

Mark Hughes - committed, and reads the game well, looks to be a good replacement for Antnee.

Netan Sansara - One good run, then lost the ball, dived in rashly and was given the run around

Jamie Vincent - Neat and tidy and capable of doing a job

Richard Taundry - Full of heart and running,looked a yard quicker and a stone lighter, not afraid to do the dirty work either

Peter Till - Some potential, but failed to get the ball across very often, and was sometimes a bit static, could be a handful against lesser defences though

Sam Parkin - Worked hard, won headers, looked like a younger Tommy Mooney. Played better alongside Deeney. Must be good, they've named the hotel after him (Park Inn)

Troy Deeney - Game came alive when he came on, a willing runner and carried the ball well, looked hungry

Will Grigg - I dont want to count chickens, but he looked special, good in the air, a bit of pace, strength and liked to get stuck in, expect to see him figure more as the season progresses. Just needs a little composure in the box, but that will come with experience, but I have not seen a youngter come through that impressed me as much as he did tonight since Scott Dann.

addo
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:19 pm

scott_powell wrote:Gilmartin - Didn't have to do much
Ince - Did ok. Came out when he had to
weston - All he does is hoof it and he doesn't go forward enough. We played far better without him
Westlake - Looks a good prospect. I like the fact he gets forward a lot. Put one superb ball in!
Smith - Didn't put a foot wrong. Solid performance
Hughes - Good replacement for gerrard. He looks solid
Roberts - Solid
Sansara - I wasn't too impressed
Vincent - Very composed player. I like the look of him
taundry - Our best player i thought. Looked such a threat down the wing. Looked a lot quicker too
adkins - Looked ok. You could tell he hasn't got much experiance
O keef - I was a little disapointed. Wasn't awful but i had higher expectations
bradley - Looked very composed and played well
Mattis - Battled well and got stuck in. A good solid performance
till - I like the look of him. Good movement and has a few tricks up his sleeve
Geades - Didn't really get the ball much and didnt have much time to impress
Parkin - Great at bringing players into play. Worked hard too. I like the look of him
Nicholls - Wasnt to impressed with him. Didn't really get into the game but he didn't do anything wrong
Deeney - I thought he played really well. Was strong and linked up really well with others
Grigg - Very exciting prospect!! One to watch out for next season. I just hope he gets the chance

Overall a good performance against a strong wolves side. Some of the football in the second half was really nice to watch. Slick passing and good movement :)

I agree with most of that, though not sure about Till though.
Not too much came from his wing.

Also a worthy mention for Richard Davies who I really like the look of as a player.

Wolves scored for fun last season.
We didnt allow them an effort on target tonight.
Even their goal was going wide until it defelected off Manny Smith.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Well took my boy for the first time and he's said he wants to go again so couldn't have been that bad :)

Thought Hughes looked solid and Grigg really impressed me. Second half was much better performance than the first

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 pm

First half crap. Second half better.

Taundry, Deeney, Smith , Hughes & Grigg were all excellent.

Nicholls worked very hard & looked asif he's gained a yard again.

Mattis & Weston were good & very solid.

Vincent looks calm & composed but lacks pace.

Down points :

Parkin didnt win a header in the first half & lacks pace which means he generally has to start play instead of moving it on.
O'Keefe struggled majorly to get into the game.
Till looked pretty crap to be honest, lacked pace & is very one footed.
Bradley hasn't improved & cannot pass.
Sansara is still awful also.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 pm

i agree Grigg looked good when he came on, looked as if he's got abit of everything in his locker, touch , pace, skill, looks abit like a young Aranalde from the stands LOL

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Ive never been so happy about missing a game

Pre season dross against the orange brigade

Fair play you loyal loyal lot

DIRE

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:37 pm

saddlerken wrote:Ive never been so happy about missing a game

DIRE

Dont go to Walsall matches.
Harp on about Premiership.

Perhaps you should stick to netball, you boring old fart!

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 pm

DIRE

we need more upbeat fans like you... :shock:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:40 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

DIRE

Dont go to Walsall matches.
Harp on about Premiership.

Perhaps you should stick to netball, you boring old fart!

Here he is, Mr Souless himself

I have a season ticket at my Division 3 club and you shall be watching fake premier football

laters you disloyal lazy 'fan'

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:50 pm

First half unimpressive, second half much better, some intricate play at times, but as always little craft or creativity in the final third.

No one really stood out head and shoulders to be fair... But no one was awful either. Sansara and Manny Smith where the ones who i thought looked out of their depth, certainly not good enough to be anything but backups this year IF tonights performances are anything to go on.

From tonight i think we need at least one more striker, a left/right winger (possibly Till, who was much better on the right but is certainly not a world beater...) and a left back as a bear minimum.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:56 pm

stefano123 wrote:First half unimpressive, second half much better, some intricate play at times, but as always little craft or creativity in the final third.

No one really stood out head and shoulders to be fair... But no one was awful either. Sansara and Manny Smith where the ones who i thought looked out of their depth, certainly not good enough to be anything but backups this year IF tonights performances are anything to go on.

From tonight i think we need at least one more striker, a left/right winger (possibly Till, who was much better on the right but is certainly not a world beater...) and a left back as a bear minimum.

ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS ABOUT MANNY SMITH!!!

He was solid tonight and didn't put a foot wrong!!

I think your a bit mixed up mate

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:32 pm

scott_powell wrote:
stefano123 wrote:First half unimpressive, second half much better, some intricate play at times, but as always little craft or creativity in the final third.

ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS ABOUT MANNY SMITH!!!

He was solid tonight and didn't put a foot wrong!!

I think your a bit mixed up mate

I like Manny Smith, but he was a mixed bag tonight, he looked uncomfortable against the high ball, but other than that generally neat and tidy, he certainly grew in stature as the game went on. I think as we saw when he broke into the side, he's a player that needs games, and needs to get up to pace. A few more pre season matches under his belt will do him good

Mozza_saddler

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:23 am

i dunno why everyone is going on about a new striker so much, i didnt go tonight but im sure parkin will be decent for us in league 1 and we're yet to see steve jones even play. Lets not forget deeney and grigg aswell, i think we need to concentrate on our defence and maybe another midfielder more than our attack at this moment in time personally.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:33 am

MANNY SMITH WAS EXCELLENT TONIGHT. SOME PEOPLE SERIOUSLY NEED A VISIT TO SPECSAVERS. IMO.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season