Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/5/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/5/09.

Sat May 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Thank god this seasons over.
From the minute Jimmy Muppet walked in as manager we were deemed to boring mid-table football.
Come on Hutch, get some quality in where we need it (CM and CD and maybe a Striker..oh and a RM whilst you have all money...)
Only ones worth keeping are Ince, Jabo, Deeney, Bradley, Weston and Boertien.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Just got in, and that was one of the worst walsall perfromances ive ever seen, even by usual last game standards.

The players simply couldnt be bothered, Too busy thinking of their holidays. Seeing as some of them are playing for contracts it was shocking. Get rid of Boertien, Palmer, Hughes(pay him off).

Boertien was utter drivel, i dont understand why people rate him so highly, palmer was doing far better. Was weston injured? I saw no reason to stick Boertien on.

Hughes lol, the man can only look backwards. Cant run, awful. Bradley serves no purpose to a football match, he is a statue.

When we took zabouub off we had no shape whatsoever.

How did Taundry win MOTM, other than a few bright runs, he was sh***.

Nicholls was alright till he went to the wing, he's still powderpuff, would like to see him play of Jabo or Ricketts though.

Tactically we were also shocking, mainly after Zabouub went off, crap hoofball. Just like to add Sean Gregan is a c***.

Everything about Walsall Fc was summed up today, players didnt care, fans didnt care, the only people on the pitch were the chavs with 3 braincells. Everybody else went home.

Only good performances today were from Gerrard and Smith.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Seems the things Bonser has done over the past year are still at the forefront of peoples minds. The apathy is at an all time high.

Im just so worried that next season will be no different!

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat May 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Useless today - everything was lacklustre.
Too many Players just turn up and do not perform - the so called experienced professionals do not deliver and the likes of Bradley etc who should have progressed this season have not.
This season has been a complete waste of time and the last match perfectly encapsulated how we have played - passionless,lacklustre and directionless.
A massive job to do in the Summer.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat May 02, 2009 4:33 pm

How many were there?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Jorge14 wrote:How many were there?

4400 odd.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 4:56 pm

GASH

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat May 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Just about sums up this disappointing season, I reckon. Nicholls's pace sets up a goal for Deeney after only 30 seconds. I thought "At last - a midfield even worse than ours" - but it was not to be. Gradually, normal service was resumed and we spinelessly capitulated - AGAIN! :evil:

Ince - apart from a couple of fumbles, he was fine. Could not be faulted for either Oldham goal.
Weston - this guy couldn't pass water, let alone the ball. At fault with their first goal, when he was injured (replaced by Boertien)
Smith - the pick of the defence - must be Young Player of the Season in tomorrow's awards.
Gerrard - just about adequate
Palmer - passing skills as bad as Weston - we played in white shirts, Chris.
Taundry - shuffled about to different positions, following a couple of the substitutions, but never stopping working. Deservedly MoTM, imo.
Mattis - started brightly but then lapsed into his usual anonymity
Hughes - see Mattis. These two just can't play together. (replaced by Craddock)
Zaaboub - well below his recent performances (replaced by Bradley)
Nicholls - showed early promise in a central rôle (at last) when his pace caused their defence a lot of problems but he faded as the game wore on.
Deeney - the Deeney of old, i.e. bags of effort but little skill and end product (he nearly missed the header that Nicholls set up "on a plate" for him)

Boertien came on at half-time but he was poor. He has really deteriorated under Mullen and H & O have not been able to revive him. At fault with their second goal. Bradley contributed little when he came on and Craddock just looked another Nicholls/Deeney clone.

What a depressing afternoon. I blame Geoff Whiting!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:07 pm

cack game

nicholls did well for the goal, that wouldnt of happened if ricketts was playin!
there goal offside, maybe, maybe not, who cares
weston is annoying the hell out of me
smith is just solid and i cant wait to see him next season
im not sure about cradock, hes young but i think he tried too hard and didnt get in the game, also i think he lacks pace for his age

overall i think they deserved the win!

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat May 02, 2009 6:20 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:How many were there?

4400 odd.

4806 actually...

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Well what can I say?

My first and last game of the season and at least I got to see the fastest goal of the season at The Banks's, and I even began to think we'd be OK. Then it all slipped into the same as (I imagine) a lot of games have been like at home this season, then I told Chris that although Oldham were junk it looked like we were giving them so much encouragement to come at us that they were bound to score, then they DID, then it all went from bad to worse, and I couldn't wait to get it over with.

One move at the start, an awful mistake by the Oldham defence, good cross, well taken goal by Deeney, 1-0 and we're on our way. I sat down expecting us to press home the early advantage, but no. After that, one speculative effort out of the blue from Deeney that slapped against the bar, and an inevitable daft equaliser. A half time Kit Kat chunky to raise the spirits, and a second half that the Insomniacs Society would have fully appreciated. A daft mistake by Boertien that gifted their winner, and a moment of magic from Taundry when their defence opened up and he hit an absolute screamer that dipped and swerved and had "goal" written all over it, but their keeper made a fine, yet at the same time very fortuitous, save - the rebound off him could have gone anywhere but he luckily got it safe.

Overall, there was absolutely no real quality at all, nothing remotely to encourage me back - far from it in fact - and we got what we deserved for a mainly pathetic display that showed me just what I haven't been missing! Quite honestly it was embarrassing at times, and if that's the sort of stuff you guys 'n gals have been paying to watch, then I can't imagine why a crowd of over 4,800 bothered to turn up.

Why our only player with any skill or quality on the ball, Zaaboub of course, got taken off I just can't imagine - unless someone spotted an injury that I didn't. We could have kept him on and taken almost any other TWO off to make way for Craddock, and we'd still have been better with Zaaboub on the pitch.

I've been hearing that Deeney has massively improved - well sorry, yes he's better but he still looks to have the class of a League Two player (at best) to me.

I could go on, but I'd better not, it's depressing, and we need such a clear-out of dross over the close season that I can't imagine Bonser will be anywhere near to financing it. Make no mistake, that was a relegation team's performance out there for most of today, and although some will say it was a nothing match with nowt to play for, there's always supposed to be pride, and I think the fans all spent enough to deserve a bloody good deal better than that trash!

On a positive note, the pre-match Chicken Balti Pie was fresh, piping hot and delicious, and if that idiot who has slated Walsall FC for their pies had been there, I might have been tempted to stick a boiling hot one up his a**e, the fool! Over the next few weeks I shall miss those pies, but as for the rest ............................. !!!!

ws3
Glitterati

Sat May 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Anyone know why there was such a large police presense? There were dog units hurtling towards the ground at about 5 o clock.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Exile wrote:1-2 Oldham after a goal in the first 60 seconds. Really poor second half let us down after we squandered our first half dominance.

There you go again, commenting on games when you weren't even there. I dunno!!

:lol:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:29 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Well what can I say?

My first and last game of the season and at least I got to see the fastest goal of the season at The Banks's, and I even began to think we'd be OK. Then it all slipped into the same as (I imagine) a lot of games have been like at home this season, then I told Chris that although Oldham were junk it looked like we were giving them so much encouragement to come at us that they were bound to score, then they DID, then it all went from bad to worse, and I couldn't wait to get it over with.

One move at the start, an awful mistake by the Oldham defence, good cross, well taken goal by Deeney, 1-0 and we're on our way. I sat down expecting us to press home the early advantage, but no. After that, one speculative effort out of the blue from Deeney that slapped against the bar, and an inevitable daft equaliser. A half time Kit Kat chunky to raise the spirits, and a second half that the Insomniacs Society would have fully appreciated. A daft mistake by Boertien that gifted their winner, and a moment of magic from Taundry when their defence opened up and he hit an absolute screamer that dipped and swerved and had "goal" written all over it, but their keeper made a fine, yet at the same time very fortuitous, save - the rebound off him could have gone anywhere but he luckily got it safe.

Overall, there was absolutely no real quality at all, nothing remotely to encourage me back - far from it in fact - and we got what we deserved for a mainly pathetic display that showed me just what I haven't been missing! Quite honestly it was embarrassing at times, and if that's the sort of stuff you guys 'n gals have been paying to watch, then I can't imagine why a crowd of over 4,800 bothered to turn up.

Why our only player with any skill or quality on the ball, Zaaboub of course, got taken off I just can't imagine - unless someone spotted an injury that I didn't. We could have kept him on and taken almost any other TWO off to make way for Craddock, and we'd still have been better with Zaaboub on the pitch.

I've been hearing that Deeney has massively improved - well sorry, yes he's better but he still looks to have the class of a League Two player (at best) to me.

I could go on, but I'd better not, it's depressing, and we need such a clear-out of dross over the close season that I can't imagine Bonser will be anywhere near to financing it. Make no mistake, that was a relegation team's performance out there for most of today, and although some will say it was a nothing match with nowt to play for, there's always supposed to be pride, and I think the fans all spent enough to deserve a bloody good deal better than that trash!

On a positive note, the pre-match Chicken Balti Pie was fresh, piping hot and delicious, and if that idiot who has slated Walsall FC for their pies had been there, I might have been tempted to stick a boiling hot one up his a**e, the fool! Over the next few weeks I shall miss those pies, but as for the rest ............................. !!!!

No need to miss the pies Geoff! The exact same pies are sold in Morrisons!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:31 pm

ws3 wrote:Anyone know why there was such a large police presense? There were dog units hurtling towards the ground at about 5 o clock.

Trouble at the King George in Wallows Lane. Chris and I walked past there on the way back to the car, and had to walk in the road to go around them. I haven't seen so many police at a footie incident since God knows when, although when I asked one copper, he just said there was "a bit of trouble" so it didn't sound too serious really.

There were certainly quite a few more police than there were fans outside the pub, that's for sure, and a fair few police dogs too.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Just about sums up this disappointing season, I reckon. Nicholls's pace sets up a goal for Deeney after only 30 seconds. I thought "At last - a midfield even worse than ours" - but it was not to be. Gradually, normal service was resumed and we spinelessly capitulated - AGAIN! :evil:

Ince - apart from a couple of fumbles, he was fine. Could not be faulted for either Oldham goal.
Weston - this guy couldn't pass water, let alone the ball. At fault with their first goal, when he was injured (replaced by Boertien)
Smith - the pick of the defence - must be Young Player of the Season in tomorrow's awards.
Gerrard - just about adequate
Palmer - passing skills as bad as Weston - we played in white shirts, Chris.
Taundry - shuffled about to different positions, following a couple of the substitutions, but never stopping working. Deservedly MoTM, imo.
Mattis - started brightly but then lapsed into his usual anonymity
Hughes - see Mattis. These two just can't play together. (replaced by Craddock)
Zaaboub - well below his recent performances (replaced by Bradley)
Nicholls - showed early promise in a central rôle (at last) when his pace caused their defence a lot of problems but he faded as the game wore on.
Deeney - the Deeney of old, i.e. bags of effort but little skill and end product (he nearly missed the header that Nicholls set up "on a plate" for him)

Boertien came on at half-time but he was poor. He has really deteriorated under Mullen and H & O have not been able to revive him. At fault with their second goal. Bradley contributed little when he came on and Craddock just looked another Nicholls/Deeney clone.

What a depressing afternoon. I blame Geoff Whiting!

I accept ! :?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:33 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

Oh thanks mate.They used to have 'em in Tesco's in Brownhills, but stopped havin' 'em. Morrison's for me very soon then! Ta muchly for that. :D (are there three s's in Morrisson's :? )

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 6:56 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Oh thanks mate.They used to have 'em in Tesco's in Brownhills, but stopped havin' 'em. Morrison's for me very soon then! Ta muchly for that. :D (are there three s's in Morrisson's :? )

Just in case you dont fancy the search for them, they are in a shelf fridge directly opposite the butchers counter

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat May 02, 2009 7:03 pm

That was this season over and over. Zaaboub was man marked with 2 players & was therefore almost anonymous all afternoon and without nicholl's pace on the wing we struggled to create much. Weston i though did well today before he went off, did one crunching tackle that went for a throw in & put a goal saving tackle in just as whitaker was about to score at the backpost. Smith & gerrard were solid, as were ince,mattis and nicholls. Hughes is crap & along with roberts would be my first on the let go list. Palmer is absolutely shocking & cant defend for toffee & his lump ball is repetative. Taundry works hard, but generally lacks quality. Zaaboub was anonymous. Thought depsite a well taken header deeney was slow,his control was poor & he still looks like the same troy as he did before,except for now he seems to geet more chances. It felt more than 4,800 in there today & after this season, i think bonser will be lucky to see 4,800 at many points next season. Enjoy your summer & i'll see you for our frindly at burton!.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat May 02, 2009 10:04 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Exile wrote:1-2 Oldham after a goal in the first 60 seconds. Really poor second half let us down after we squandered our first half dominance.

I saw it all - through the eyes of Mick Kearns. It's as if I was there!

First half:
Kick off was delayed as some Northerner got injured. probably too ashamed to play in that godawful away kit
We lose possession from the kick off, only to win it back, and all of a sudden Hughes, with a tackle and some vision, picks out Nicholls, who spots Taundry screaming in, and they all combine for a brilliant goal - gone in sixty seconds all right!
Nicholls goes close
Taundry got steamrolled
Smith thwarts an attack / gives away a corner (depending on your point of view on a youngster and whether or not they should be booed for not being old enough/good enough)
Oldham really look as if they've sent some ringers and are all on holiday
We're speculating on a top ten finish after whipping Oldham's sorry asses.
Hughes and Gerrard both launch raids that come to nothing
Oldham fans do a conga which isn't as gfood as ours last week, although they do have a rubik's cube
Oldham get their first proper shot after half an hour. Up till this point they've done a passable imitation of Walsall this season - no attack, no menace, no threat, no result.
Oldham score just before half time, after my blog comment "Oldham ain't at the game. We'll lose the points here only by shooting ourselves in the foot ". We duly did.

Second half:
I spent more time listening to nothing as the game went awol.

:mrgreen:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 pm

Exile wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

I saw it all - through the eyes of Mick Kearns. It's as if I was there!

First half:
Kick off was delayed as some Northerner got injured. probably too ashamed to play in that godawful away kit
We lose possession from the kick off, only to win it back, and all of a sudden Hughes, with a tackle and some vision, picks out Nicholls, who spots Taundry screaming in, and they all combine for a brilliant goal - gone in sixty seconds all right!
Nicholls goes close
Taundry got steamrolled
Smith thwarts an attack / gives away a corner (depending on your point of view on a youngster and whether or not they should be booed for not being old enough/good enough)
Oldham really look as if they've sent some ringers and are all on holiday
We're speculating on a top ten finish after whipping Oldham's sorry asses.
Hughes and Gerrard both launch raids that come to nothing
Oldham fans do a conga which isn't as gfood as ours last week, although they do have a rubik's cube
Oldham get their first proper shot after half an hour. Up till this point they've done a passable imitation of Walsall this season - no attack, no menace, no threat, no result.
Oldham score just before half time, after my blog comment "Oldham ain't at the game. We'll lose the points here only by shooting ourselves in the foot ". We duly did.

Second half:
I spent more time listening to nothing as the game went awol.

:mrgreen:

For Oldham, say Huddersfield, roughly same time for the opposition's goal, followed by a second-half of capitulation. I'm trying to remember now, did we come out for the second-half or not? :?

yoda
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Ive not seen it mentioned anywhere else but I'd like to express absolute disgust at the Oldham fans behind the F2G at 3.02pm. If it wasnt for some fine stewarding that would have easily been ten times nastier than it already was.

Muppets.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat May 02, 2009 10:15 pm

yoda wrote:Ive not seen it mentioned anywhere else but I'd like to express absolute disgust at the Oldham fans behind the F2G at 3.02pm. If it wasnt for some fine stewarding that would have easily been ten times nastier than it already was.

Muppets.

What was that about then? Pissed up and at the wrong end?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Exile wrote:
yoda wrote:Ive not seen it mentioned anywhere else but I'd like to express absolute disgust at the Oldham fans behind the F2G at 3.02pm. If it wasnt for some fine stewarding that would have easily been ten times nastier than it already was.

Muppets.

What was that about then? pead up and at the wrong end?

Craig Pead turned up? Would have been enough to make me kick off.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat May 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Your right on one account (pead up) but not sure about the other (if they were deliberetly in the wrong end).

There was a fairly big queue to get in the lower F2G after the game had kicked off. A group of (clearly pead up) Oldham fans took it upon themselves to come round and sing Oldham songs, shout, spit and generally abuse queueing Walsall fans.

To our credit the Walsall fans initially tried to point out they were in the wrong end. When it became clear they were continuing the abuse the Walsall fans started telling them to **** off.
As the abuse STILL continued (unchecked by Stewards who seemed unwilling to approach them) the larger Walsall fans took it upon themselves to charge the fans.

Eventually the back up the Stewards had called for arrived and a line was created between the 2 fans. As I said the speedy response by the Stewards that seemed to come out of nowhere was probably what saved somebody from going to hospital. Top marks to them, but its unfortunate it got to that stage.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2009 1:07 am

LOL Stewards, whats the point of being one if your not gonna step in, they are all there for the easy way though arent they. Jobsworths.

They are a poor set of fans anyway, encountered a few of them a few mins before i went in the ground. Jumped up up tramps they were really.

The atmosphere was so poor today even Kev couldnt be bothered.

[modded - language]

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun May 03, 2009 7:38 am

Another typical lacklustre half hearted home performance under Hutchings. Bring back Mullen.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun May 03, 2009 7:42 am

Muppets.

Do you know why they were at the FTG stand though? Because one of them was turned away from the away end because as usual the stewards at that end were being over picky. We were there at the time and the one they turned away was gutted and wasn't even drunk. The police and Saddlers Club encourage away fans to go in there to keep away fans all in one place then refuse entry because they've had more than one beer. Idiots. So what does that do, make them try to get in the home end, as I would if I'd travelled that far to see a match. As ever the police and stewards bring it on themselves.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 am

Shocking performance and i agree with geoff whiting

yoda
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2009 11:07 am

Im not sure if we're on about the same people but these guys made no attempt to enter the home end. They came round giving the queues a wide berth making no aqttempt to join it. They were clearly just there for a drunken rumble.

They looked like the usual bunch of thuggy chavs, baseball caps and all if that fits the description of the guys you saw

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season