Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (A) League 1 Saturday 25/4/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (A) League 1 Saturday 25/4/09.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:37 pm

moanin old git wrote:Gilmartin in goal = 5-0 to the Dongs, Incy = 3-0 to the Dongs.
Even the kidoligy of 'this is Walsal F.C. we are talking about' surprise away win will not 'cut it' on Saturday..
We are in for a mauling...most of our squad would rather be on the beach, spending thier ill-gotten, over inflated Salaries!
They dow care and they wow try! Good job it aye Swansea, Scotland would score 10 before half time!

I see Andy Booth was so sickened by the performance of his opposition last Saturday he has decided to hang up his boots!
I have to work with 5 ardent Hudd fans, Monday mornin was an embarrassment.....

what a moron you really are
if you dont like WFC then shut up and go away
you are probably trying to be clever ! :lol:
not clever enough tho.
Last edited by Whitti Steve on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't avoid the swear filter

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:39 pm

how many did we take?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Sounds like we really fought hard for the points today. Results like that show that we do have a core of players who are capable of seeing an improved season next time around, under Hutchings & O'Connor.

Jabo is a must-keep.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Excellent battling performance against a team that didn't seem to wake up until Jabo scored - which really upset the dirty No 2 who had been fouling him all afternoon.

Ince didn't put a foot or hand wrong today, giving the defence the confidence that it needed.

Zaaboob always looked dangerous until he released the ball, which usually then led to the move petering out.

Midfield kept possession well for much of the game. No-one particularly outstanding, just doing an impressive job of stifling MKD.

The defence coped well with what was thrown at it - hardly anything at all in the 1st half, then holding out well when MKD were chasing the game at the end.

All in all, a very good disciplined performance with Ince the MOTM.

Around 500 (?) Saddlers fans there, enjoying a bit of sunshine and creating a good noise. Although the "garden shed" chant was daft to say the least - it is a cracking stadium, even if the kiosk prices are more in line with Wembley than Div1.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:59 pm

"Jesus is a Saddler, Jesus is a Saddler" :lol:

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Fabulous afternoon, good performance against a team who didn't wake up till they brought on the excellent Abraham for the not-so-excellent Flo. After that, Ince had to be in top form, and was; great display of goalkeeping and he was the MOTM. Ibehre took his goal very well, Hughes gave a masterclass in midfield (his best performance for us) and a word for Palmer, who defended well against both Wright and Puncheon, who varied wings.

Great atmosphere too, wonderful stadium (will be great when it's finished). Nothing to complain about tonight.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:33 pm

tape66 wrote:"Jesus is a Saddler, Jesus is a Saddler" :lol:

Yes, with God's number two on our side, how could we possibly fail? "Jesus, Jesus, give us a wave!" - and Cheesebag duly did. :D . All in all, a very pleasant afternoon out. Lovely weather, a superb stadium, with easily the best seats outside of the Emirates, 3 points for the Saddlers, a clean sheet - and we denied MK Franchise automatic promotion (pity the Posh went up, as a result :( ). Willy-Nilly went as a pirate, Kiansmom as a 1960's slapper, cto as Jimmy Clitheroe, OldPenkSaddler as a Mexican - and that's just from the Willy wagon! Big Baz and I felt under-dressed. Mickey and Minnie Mouse were there, as well as Superman, Superwoman and some very scantily-clad young ladies (you can guess what was chanted at them :mrgreen: ). The fancy dress, coupled with the conga, lent a carnival atmosphere to the proceedings. Asps managed to keep most of his clothes on, this time.

Oh yes - the match. We just about deserved the win. The only time that Franchise were on top was in the last 10 minutes (+loads of stoppage time). If that is typical of their current form (which I doubt) then they will be slaughtered in the play-offs. No, Mark Wright did not cause us too many problems. It would be harsh to say that he played badly but he didn't do a lot. Ricketts missing because of an Achilles tendon problem, apparently - oh, and Tor Andre Flo is a donkey!

Ince - a comfortable return to the side. He did not have a save to make until the 77th minute and then Franchise piled on the pressure but he was equal to all of it.
Weston - positioning and tackling generally good but his passing is poor.
Gerrard - very sound throughout and just did what he had to do without fuss.
Smith - see Gerrard
Palmer - I refuse to jump on the "slag off Palmer" bandwagon because he is being played way out of position. Yes, he is weak at left-back but what do you expect from a right-winger? Rarely troubled by Wright.
Bradley - again, he was not involved enough, apart from a couple of goal attempts, early in the second half (replaced by Nicholls)
Mattis - steady without being outstanding
Hughes - as Mattis. His lack of pace is exposed by quick-footed opponents and his yellow card could easily have become a red, as the game wore on (replaced by Davies).
Zaaboub - Franchise had clearly done their homework on Sofie and he always had two markers on him. Put in some good crosses.
Deeney - grafted hard as usual but with never really looking like scoring.
Ibehre - I think that he definitely wants a new contract. Like Deeney, he works his socks off. Took his goal superbly, out-muscling Stirling who was fouling him (again!). Replaced by Taundry when he suffered a hamstring injury.

The substitutes all did their bit (a very small bit in the case of Davies, who came on in stoppage time).
Unused subs:- Gilmartin, Boertien.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:42 pm

A good 3 points. Sad that I missed Jesus - will he be at the last home game or is her a stay-away? Maybe he will come to the awards night?

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:A good 3 points. Sad that I missed Jesus - will he be at the last home game or is her a stay-away? Maybe he will come to the awards night?

Liam and myself sat behind Jesus (and family). Jesus was talking about attending the awards night :wink: He also performed a minor miracle - he touched a Saddlers fan on his head and the fan proceeded to hand over his chips which Jesus took in good faith :)

Great result and a marvellous afternoon. Clayton man of the match and deserving of a final one year contract please.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:44 pm

That Jesus guy needed a good shave , as for the girls down the front :D

Good day out at a very nice half built Stadium

So here's to Sothampton away next season 1st game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Lol Mark Wright couldnt even give Palmer a run. USELESS.

Glad we won today, we seem to be battling away from home

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Mike T. wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:A good 3 points. Sad that I missed Jesus - will he be at the last home game or is her a stay-away? Maybe he will come to the awards night?

Liam and myself sat behind Jesus (and family). Jesus was talking about attending the awards night :wink: He also performed a minor miracle - he touched a Saddlers fan on his head and the fan proceeded to hand over his chips which Jesus took in good faith :)

That was me! He must've really had miraculous powers to make me hand over some chips :D

I only went down to talk to Jesus (Cheesebag) to get a closer look at Niki's fishnet stockings :wink:

Had some fun on the way out winding up the Franchise freaks with the usual songs. It's great because they just don't have any answer to our jibes. blazing Saddler made me laugh when I shouted "We were founded in 1888, when were you?" To which Blazing piped up "Half past 5" :D

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:19 am

Mike T. wrote:

Great result and a marvellous afternoon. Clayton man of the match and deserving of a final one year contract please.

You must've been just behind us Mike. s.o.t.v, myself and Big Baz were sat right behind the cheeses. Best view in the stadium.................................

whenever the wind blew or Niki bent over :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 am

The thing that made me laugh were the 3 Arsenal shirts I spotted there :lol:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:42 am

tape66 wrote:The thing that made me laugh were the 3 Arsenal shirts I spotted there :lol:

They know a good team

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:54 am

very encouraging result .

Reading this week Walsall Observer totally agree with The Saddler Jabo is a must for next season.

UTS

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:23 am

tape66 wrote:The thing that made me laugh were the 3 Arsenal shirts I spotted there :lol:

Almost as funny as the coachload of Rochdale supporters that were just getting off at the services as we were pulling back out after another tiolet break. Loads of them trooped off the coach with various different Rochdale tops, and then along comes a 40something wearing a Chelsea top !!!!! Pillock :lol:

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:

Almost as funny as the coachload of Rochdale supporters that were just getting off at the services as we were pulling back out after another tiolet break. Loads of them trooped off the coach with various different Rochdale tops, and then along comes a 40something wearing a Chelsea top !!!!! Pillock :lol:

Hereford not rochdale :lol:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:

Hereford not rochdale :lol:

I bow to your better memory. Tis right, the Rochdale fans were already there, the Hereford 1 pulled in just as we were leaving, to chants of "going down, going down" :lol: :lol:

He's still a plank whichever club he supports, Rochdale, Hereford or Chelski :mrgreen:

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Anyone film the beer fight in the bar in the mk ground that was mental :lol: :lol:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:41 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Anyone film the beer fight in the bar in the mk ground that was mental :lol: :lol:

Please tell me Blazing Saddler breakdancing in the middle of all that is on film ? I know someone who was filming at the time, i just need to now find out how much he got :D

windowman
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:how many did we take?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:

Sheff goes to Hereford too? Didn't know Graham Turner swindled a newly capitalist nation too.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season