Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 18/4/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Glitterati

Re: Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 18/4/09.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Winning 2-0 at the moment - both goals by Jabo Ibhere! :D

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:55 pm

TO ALL THOSE CLAIMING GILMARTIN TO GET A CHANCE NEXT SEASON I PRAY TO GOD YOU ARE AT THIS GAME HE IS CRAP.DONT SEND HIM OUT SECOND HALF HUTCH HES WACK!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Well what a crazy result and a diabolical give-away - AGAIN ! :evil:

I've been listening in from Wales on Saddlers World, and the moment that Gilmartin dropped that awful clanger I said to my wife "watch now how that changes the game. Huddersfield have done nothing, and they'll be really lifted by the gift they've just been given."

Never a truer word. It's a diabolical surrender - AGAIN - and I was not surprised in the slightest !

What the hell was Gilmartin doing in goal when Ince was back and sitting on the bench? A ludicrous decision IMHO, and it's started the rot that cost us three points. :x

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Pointless fact: the last time Jabo scored at home we also surrendered a 2-0 lead to lose to a team beginning with H.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:31 pm

First half was the best 40 minutes iv ever seen!
Then ..... an awful mistake from gilmartin ( his kicking was much better )

for the corner smith and palmer were marking at the near post which left the back post completly open!

ricketts is a waste of space! FACT, get rid

im sick of weston hoofin it, im a fan of weston but now he is just pathetic

THE REFEREE AND LINESMEN WERE THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN!

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:37 pm

caught_u_red_handed wrote:TO ALL THOSE CLAIMING GILMARTIN TO GET A CHANCE NEXT SEASON I PRAY TO GOD YOU ARE AT THIS GAME HE IS crud.DONT SEND HIM OUT SECOND HALF HUTCH HES WACK!

well done all you so called walsall fans !
get on the kids back at the first chance.
yes he was at fault, and.......well whatever.
UTS in all its glory,
nothing to play for and still you think that by murdering someones honest efforts, he will become a better player :shock:
leave him alone and join the molineux boo boys if you want a pop at someone (they have got a history of that kind of thing)
he plays for walsall, wears the shirt........thats good enough for me
if he had kept a clean sheet would it have made a difference ? not at all !
crud ? wack ? you try it.
glad i am a walsall fan, wish i could say the same about you lot
UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:41 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
caught_u_red_handed wrote:TO ALL THOSE CLAIMING GILMARTIN TO GET A CHANCE NEXT SEASON I PRAY TO GOD YOU ARE AT THIS GAME HE IS crud.DONT SEND HIM OUT SECOND HALF HUTCH HES WACK!

UTS in all its glory,
nothing to play for and still you think that by murdering someones honest efforts, he will become a better player :shock:
leave him alone and join the molineux boo boys if you want a pop at someone (they have got a history of that kind of thing)
UTS

completely agree, what some fans wont realise is that he made a couple of good saves before that incident

UTS

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:58 pm

There was only one team in it until the 43rd minute, and we were playing some great football. Had we scored half of the other chances we had, it'd would've been all over. But we didn't and then it all fell apart.

Gilmartin had a 'mare for their first goal but I thought he was generally sound. He gets criticised (rightly so, to an extent) but i don't think his defence help him out at times - some of the pass backs he receives are iffy to say the least.

Too many of the other players seemed to be going through the motions - Palmer, Bradley and Ricketts being the worst offenders.

OmmerEmCradley
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Agreed, he did make some good saves. yes it was a mistake, but then again all these short sighted m*r*ns never saw Jimmy or Clayton do anything in error did they!!

Lets not forget the good games and great saves he made earlier this season.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Ricketts- Worse signing of the season. I said it from day one, and ive been proved right.

Hutch.....DO NOT GIVE HIM A CONTRACT

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:18 pm

The brief second half 'experiment' of playing Ricketts in the middle, with Bradley out right and Deeney and Ibehre up front was bizarre, and cost us - but at least we changed back later on. Some players had good games, and didn't deserve to end up on the losing side. I thought Weston, Gerrard, Ibehre and Hughes were all good, Smith and Zaaboub OK. Palmer, Ricketts, Bradley and Gilmartin were less good.

Palmer went AWOL for their second, and didn't prevent the cross for the first. Gilmartin was shakey, Ricketts and Bradley just failed to get a foothold.

Good job nowt rested on it.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:23 pm

What on earth was that? One of the most Jeckyl and Hyde performances I've ever seen from a Walsall side.

For the first 40 mins, we were solid, terrific at times, then we just fell apart.

Gilmartin was at fault for both goals IMO, he was planted for the 2nd when he should maybe have got a hand to the cross.

After that, Huddersfields' third goal was inevitable, and with the ref not helping at all, and Ricketts doing sod all we were never going to get back in to it.

This would be my keep/get rid list:

Get Rid:

Ricketts - over paid and over weight. For the money we pay him we could do a lot better. His career has floundered for a reason, the only reason he's got a contract with us in sentimentality. Add to that his disciplinary record. Enough is enough, get rid.

Palmer - cheap, but a terrible footballer. Didnt have too bad a game today, but he's just not good enough.

Hughes - over paid and over weight. Oh and injury prone. Get rid.

Gilmartin - not just cos of his error today, but because his kicking is more unreliable than Ince's, which is hard in itself to achieve, and secondly, he looks very suspect when long range shots come at him, several times recently, we've seen him leave or pull away from long range shots that go very close. His reactions are slow aswell, I don't think he'll ever make it.

Roberts - 19 games is no good, we could have signed a loan player who would have cost us less and performed just as well.

Keep:

Boertien: Why was he missing again today? Are we refusing to play him again?

Mattis

Bradley - he's still got something to offer

Zaboob - very direct, something we often lack

Nicholls - will be decent

Gerrard - keep if we can

Deeney - should get goals.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 pm

swiftyboy wrote:Ricketts- Worse signing of the season. I said it from day one, and ive been proved right.

Hutch.....DO NOT GIVE HIM A CONTRACT

There were cheers when he was taken off. He was subbed straight after a ball came his way and he didnt even try and win the header.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:26 pm

King Crimson wrote:The brief second half 'experiment' of playing Ricketts in the middle, with Bradley out right and Deeney and Ibehre up front was bizarre, and cost us - but at least we changed back later on. Some players had good games, and didn't deserve to end up on the losing side. I thought Weston, Gerrard, Ibehre and Hughes were all good, Smith and Zaaboub OK. Palmer, Ricketts, Bradley and Gilmartin were less good.

Palmer went AWOL for their second, and didn't prevent the cross for the first. Gilmartin was shakey, Ricketts and Bradley just failed to get a foothold.

Good job nowt rested on it.

We kind of played that system in the first half, a sort of 4-3-3 with Ricketts 'in the hole'. We didnt change that in the 2nd half from what I saw, until he put Deeney out right after about 20 mins.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:45 pm

The main talking point from today in Gilmartin. He started off well, he had confidence, claimed a few crosses and made atleast one decent save. Then, a few minutes before half time he made a school boy error that cost us the game. As soon as he let it in his confidence was gone and Huddersfield's confidence came flooding back. I'm sorry, but he is not good enough at the moment.

First 40 minutes were the best that we have played in along time. After that we just went out of the game. I feel more dissapointed today than I did leaving the ground against Bristol rovers. I don't understand why we are so bad at home, even when we start off well we find a way to balls it up. Typical Walsall!

Player ratings:

Gilmartin - 5 - Started off well but over all cost us the game with school boy errors.

Weston - 7 - Solid, but did struggle at times with us not having a right winger.
Gerrard - 7 - Solid at the back.
Smith - 7 - Same as Smith
Palmer - 7 -Good again from him!!!

Bradley - 6 - Non existant
Hughes - 7 - Got in their faces but was caught for pace and out of position on a couple of occasions.
Zaaboub - 8 - Did well. Wasn't afraid to run at them in an attempt to create.

Ricketts - 4 - Woeful. He can't play in this role.

Jabo - 9 - MOTM. Big and strong upfront and deserved his 2 goals, constants threat.
Deeney - 7 - Struggled with a lack of service to him.

SUBS
Nicholls - 7 - Didn't realy have a chance to make an impact.
Taundry - 6 - Not enough time to do anything
Mattis - 6 - Same as Taundry.

MOTM: Jabo

EDIT: As for the tactics, why the hell do we have a left winger but not a right winger???

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Well what can i say!! For 40 minutes we dominated the game, playing some of the best football ive seen all season!!! Jabo ran them raged. Then gilmartin let a 'bread and butter' save for any aspiring keeper, through his hands and legs!! As soon as that went in i thought thats going to change the game....and it did huddlesfield never looked back from that.I also think that he should have come for the ball from the corner for there second. Then entered Trevor Kettle and his assistant - this was probley one of the worest performances from referee i have seen in ages!! In the lead upto the second goal cadamatri clearly handled a palmer cleance and was never given, which led to the corner. From that they never gave us anything - even giving denney offside when he was running towards a defender!!!

Players wise - Palmer - started ok but was found out as usally and struggled
Bradley - was in and out of the game to much
Ricketts - im a fan of him but today the man never looked intrested - the more i think we should release him!!!
Smith & Gerrerd - soild
Weston - he's starting to play to much hoff ball all the time
Hughes - to many passes going backwards or sidewards, nothing going foward - another player that should be released
Denney - lots of running, made jabo's first but didn't do anything else
Jabo - Took his goals well, probley one of his best games
Zaboub - Had a shot excellently cleared off the line and created mostly everything we made
Gilmartin - i wanted him to do well today, his kicking was very good, made a very good save early on, then that mistake and looked shakey
after that.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Macca wrote:Well what can i say!! For 40 minutes we dominated the game, playing some of the best football ive seen all season!!! Jabo ran them raged. Then gilmartin let a 'bread and butter' save for any aspiring keeper, through his hands and legs!! As soon as that went in i thought thats going to change the game....and it did huddlesfield never looked back from that.I also think that he should have come for the ball from the corner for there second. Then entered Trevor Kettle and his assistant - this was probley one of the worest performances from referee i have seen in ages!! In the lead upto the second goal cadamatri clearly handled a palmer cleance and was never given, which led to the corner. From that they never gave us anything - even giving denney offside when he was running towards a defender!!!

Players wise - Palmer - started ok but was found out as usally and struggled
Bradley - was in and out of the game to much
Ricketts - im a fan of him but today the man never looked intrested - the more i think we should release him!!!
Smith & Gerrerd - soild
Weston - he's starting to play to much hoff ball all the time
Hughes - to many passes going backwards or sidewards, nothing going foward - another player that should be released
Denney - lots of running, made jabo's first but didn't do anything else
Jabo - Took his goals well, probley one of his best games
Zaboub - Had a shot excellently cleared off the line and created mostly everything we made
Gilmartin - i wanted him to do well today, his kicking was very good, made a very good save early on, then that mistake and looked shakey
after that.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. kettle tried his hardest to ruin the game and was one of the worst performances for a ref i've seen, Simply diabolical.

Delves Saddler

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:10 pm

I thought GIlmartin began solid but I feared for the worst when he fumbled the ball after what should have been an easy take before Huddersfield's first goal even went in. I am by no means Gilmartin's greatest fan and I had plenty harsh things to say about him at the game but I kept it quiet and spoke about it to my friends next to me. Sitting behind the goal means I know that he can clearly hear fans screaming abuse at him and it of course does him no favours. The same goes for Ricketts today. I wasn't impressed at all but despite his lack of effort on the pitch and his disciplinary record, he has still netted a fair amount of goals for us this season and screaming that he is rubbish doesn't exactly go and help him score any more goals. If people need to rant about his mistakes which they're entitled to there is no need for them to make it loud and clear to our players during the game, we're essentially shooting ourselves in the foot when we do so. I know for certain if I was out there having a bad game, people screaming that I'm rubbish wouldn't make me play any better. I just generally think some consideration is needed for our players, after all for those 90 minutes they're wearing the same colours that we are.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:29 pm

anyone over 23 out of contract at the end of this season should be released

thats all

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Brillant first, shocking second. Ricketts isn't playing in the correct role & whilst he isn't top draw, on our budget he's the best we'll have at being naturally a goalscoring striker. Today though if your going to abuse ricketts, aim the same abuse at bradley and deeney, who both were absolutely anonymous. Palmer was good in the first half but absolutely horrific in the second, im a big fan but weston plays to much hoof ball. On the other hand, jabo was absolutely fantastic today another reason why he needs to be signed up, with the players around him, he showed today that he can score a few more goals. He's ran himself ragged, held the ball and been our back to goal striker in a midfield that has never supplied him much. Sign jabo up now!. Zaaboub was okay but sometime his crossing was poor, he is still our biggest creator however and strangely hughes had a good game, won the tackle,looked interested,started play & won numerous headers, however 1 in 40 odd games this season is just not good enough.

Today was my first question on hutch's team selection, palmer over boertien is just pathetic, nicholls should have been in over bradley & mattis came on with 4 minutes left, when arguably he's the club's best centre mid. Ince was missing as well, as gilmartins msitake sent a wave of confidece drain through the whole team, which in turn meant we lost a game 3-2 that we could have been out of site in.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Delves Saddler wrote:I thought GIlmartin began solid but I feared for the worst when he fumbled the ball after what should have been an easy take before Huddersfield's first goal even went in. I am by no means Gilmartin's greatest fan and I had plenty harsh things to say about him at the game but I kept it quiet and spoke about it to my friends next to me. Sitting behind the goal means I know that he can clearly hear fans screaming abuse at him and it of course does him no favours. The same goes for Ricketts today. I wasn't impressed at all but despite his lack of effort on the pitch and his disciplinary record, he has still netted a fair amount of goals for us this season and screaming that he is rubbish doesn't exactly go and help him score any more goals. If people need to rant about his mistakes which they're entitled to there is no need for them to make it loud and clear to our players during the game, we're essentially shooting ourselves in the foot when we do so. I know for certain if I was out there having a bad game, people screaming that I'm rubbish wouldn't make me play any better. I just generally think some consideration is needed for our players, after all for those 90 minutes they're wearing the same colours that we are.

I certainly don't boo anybody in a Walsall shirt but can understand those who did today. There were around 3,400 of us there today who had dipped into our hard earned for what was, in essence, a glorified post-season friendly at the end of the much heralded "big push" season. The least we deserved a professional, honest and competent performance. We actually got more than that for over half an hour and the signs were good and the crowd re-acted accordingly.

Unfortunately a piece of professional incompetence lead to heads dropping like blokes in a pub team who couldn't be bothered fighting the hangover any longer. Both the mistake and the players efforts thereafter got the reaction they probably deserved.

These are professional men (Rene is 22) not under 7's girls.

Well done to everyone who mustered the effort to get there today. We've still got an unbelievably loyal core of fans, even in these hard times, and if you got a bit angry and shouted a bit of industrial, don't worry, I still doff my cap to each and every one.

UTS

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Rene is cack.

OmmerEmCradley
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Rene is cack.

What did you think of his first half performance then

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:31 pm

OmmerEmCradley wrote:

I was fortunately playing for Bangor Uni. However my Dad and Percie have both informed me he was cack.

Also, I have seen him play countless times before, his kicking his awful, his positioning is cack, and he just isn't good enough.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:03 pm

PINNACLE wrote:

UTS in all its glory,
UTS

I didnt say a word , so hope you are not tarnishing me with that brush

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
OmmerEmCradley wrote:

I was fortunately playing for Bangor Uni. However my Dad and Percie have both informed me he was cack.

Also, I have seen him play countless times before, his kicking his awful, his positioning is cack, and he just isn't good enough.

No i disagree, and this is from someone who has critesised Rene in the passed. Before his gaff that led to the first goal he had a good game with some really good saves, but after that his lack of confidence showed. I'm not saying he'll make a good keeper for us BUT with the right training he MAY make a good keeper IN THE FUTURE.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:59 am

Nothing to play for, bit of an experiment, five goals and nowt riding on the result. Excellent way for Marty & Hutch to work out what doesn't work with the first team before trying the rest of the squad.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:30 am

There may have been 'nothing' to play for but I paid good money for my Family to watch that and I expect a professional performance.I got it for approx 40 minutes - Hutch didnt experiment that much because he put no kids on at all- yes he changed the formation but that is hardly gonna teach someone like Ricketts who was the most affected anything at this stage of his career.
Talking of Ricketts he just aint interested - when he is ,yes hes a class above but when he goes AWOL and combined with his suspensions I just dont think hes worth the money we are paying him.I love my Team ,but lets be honest if his head was in the right place and his attitude he wouldnt be with us!
Overall I was more disappointed than the Bristol Rovers match because we flattered to deceive. We should have put them under the cosh at 2-0 and wrapped the game up.When the Terriers fans started singing'We're gonna win 3-2' I was laughing - I wasnt by the end!
Fair play to them,like Tranny last week they wanted it more and thats something the Management need to sort out - our team has no Fighters and when the going gets tough we have no one who can get the game by the scruff of the neck and turn it round.
Summed up our season - midtable mediocrity.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:21 am

Exile wrote:Nothing to play for, bit of an experiment, five goals and nowt riding on the result. Excellent way for Marty & Hutch to work out what doesn't work with the first team before trying the rest of the squad.

So what did he learn from his experiment/s? So what did he learn about his players that was new and not already apparent from the rest of the season? I am very angry at the manager who watched as the team completely disintegrated and did nothing for 30 mins. I am very angry with the players who simply collapsed at the first sign of pressure. Most of all I am very angry with myself for renewing my season ticket. That second half was a disgusting performance. For me the jury is still out on Hutch.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 am

Exile wrote:Nothing to play for, bit of an experiment, five goals and nowt riding on the result. Excellent way for Marty & Hutch to work out what doesn't work with the first team before trying the rest of the squad.

Exactly what Hutch should be doing this stage of the season , experimenting.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season