Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (A) League 1 Monday 13/4/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Duke
Site Addict

Re: Stockport County (A) League 1 Monday 13/4/09.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:The missed penalty was a while ago. They've scored now though. :|

was it a save ?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:38 pm

hanging on now by the sound of it.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Duke wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:The missed penalty was a while ago. They've scored now though. :|

was it a save ?

No he blasted it over

Duke
Site Addict

Zippy wrote:Oh cack.

(Is that in the swear filter?)

Their first goal in 5
:twisted:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Duke wrote:

was it a save ?

No, skyed it over the bar/stand/earth's crust by the sound it. A la Chris Waddle.

They're on top now, should have taken our earlier chances.

Zippy
Glitterati

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm

As they said in Allo Allo

"Oh Rene"

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Sounds like Deeney has missed two sitters and could easily have scored a hat trick

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:48 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Sounds like Deeney has missed two sitters and could easily have scored a hat trick

Also sounds like our wall was badly positioned for their goal.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:50 pm

yessss

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:52 pm

no one seems to know who got it

2-1 by the way

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 pm

OG Logan

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

chestersaddler wrote:no one seems to know who got it

"Do yow know worroi think? I think it moight have gone straight in from Ibhere yow know"

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:34 pm

very pleasing result .

just about safe now, :mrgreen:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Duke wrote:

was it a save ?

No, skyed it over the bar/stand/earth's crust by the sound it. A la Chris Waddle.

Did Darren Wrack take it, replicating the worst penalty ever in the history of the game that he took against them on the final day a few seasons back?

Pleasing result - sounds like the new formation earnt us a few more chances than we might normally have got.

Macca
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Duke wrote:

was it a save ?

Did Darren Wrack take it, replicating the worst penalty ever in the history of the game that he took against them on the final day a few seasons back?

Pleasing result - sounds like the new formation earnt us a few more chances than we might normally have got.

Well let's hope hutch keeps this formation for saturday and actually score in front of the F2G, it feels like an age since we last scored in front of it - and the last 1 was an own goal!!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:55 pm

We deserved the 3 points. Stockport didn't realy create and when they did we dealt with ease.

First half, we took the lead and then dominated for most of the remander of the half.

Second half, it opened up abit. Stockport equalised and then attacked us but we absorbed the pressure. We kept on creating chances and they were wasted until Conrad Logan very kindly scored us the winner.

Logan was subject to alot abuse from our fans following squaring up to Jabo in the second half. It was funny to see him give us the winner.

RATINGS:
Gilmartin - 8 - Had a shakey start, but overall looked alot better than saturday. More confident, commanded his area, came for crosses, etc... His kicking is still woeful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Weston - 7 - Was left on his own on the right for most of the match. Did what was needed of him comfortably.

Smith - 7 - Solid as ever, but did have a few dodgey moments.

Gerrard - 8 - Superb, back on some real form, commanded superbly and deserved his goal

Palmer - 7 - Same as saturday. Looks like he's gaining abit of form back.

Hughes - 7 - Battled away in midfield, did what was needed.

Mattis - 8 - He was what we missed on saturday. His battling and never say die attitude helped the team performance alot.

Zaaboub - 7 - Dangerous at times, bit patchy.

Ricketts - 6 - In and out of the game, never realy got going, looked poor and lazy

Jabo - 7 - Worked his socks off as always, troubled the defenders alot.

Deeney - 7 - Did well, battled all match.

SUBS
Nicholls - 6 - Never really got the ball, looked uncomfortable on the left.

Bradley - 7 - Not on for long, but did well and forced Logan into the o.g.

MOTM - Mattis

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:11 pm

3 points away at Stockport is always good, means I can abuse my Stockpot supporting mate for another few months. :D

Well done the lads.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Just been on the news that a ball has just landed in North Lancashire. Must be from the Stockport penalty. I ain't never seen a penalty miss by that much.

The og by their keeper is justice, pure justice. I didn't see exactly what happened whilst the Stockport player was being attended to, he either pushed or kicked out at Jabo. He obviously took a hell a lot of stick from us from then on. To see him score was a joy to behold. He was also halfway to the tunnel before the ref had finished blowing the fulltime whistle. Peroxide headed prat.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:51 pm

tinned wrote:Just been on the news that a ball has just landed in North Lancashire. Must be from the Stockport penalty. I ain't never seen a penalty miss by that much.

The og by their keeper is justice, pure justice. I didn't see exactly what happened whilst the Stockport player was being attended to, he either pushed or kicked out at Jabo. He obviously took a hell a lot of stick from us from then on. To see him score was a joy to behold. He was also halfway to the tunnel before the ref had finished blowing the fulltime whistle. Peroxide headed prat.

I think hes an albino, if so hes gotta be the only albino pro footballer.

Bout time we had some luck.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:53 pm

latviancheese wrote:
tinned wrote:Just been on the news that a ball has just landed in North Lancashire. Must be from the Stockport penalty. I ain't never seen a penalty miss by that much.

I think hes an albino, if so hes gotta be the only albino pro footballer.

Bout time we had some luck.

I was thinking he was something at the time but it wor albino :D

I day think albino's could go out in the sun?

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 pm

Enjoyable afternoon, in the occasional Manchester sunshine :D

I'll let others do the tactically discussions, but here are some of my highlights.

Enjoyable chants from the folk behind us, Gerrard scoring and loving it, the home keeper taking a clear kick at Jabo who was on the deck, clearly forgetting he right in front of the away fans, who where not slow in letting him know thaey had witness his act of petulance, said keeping handing us the points, and receiving some good natured abuse for his troubles.

Two hapless opera singers who provided the prematch "entertainment" and despite the acoustics and speakers not being up to the job, they allowed them back out again at half time to do a bizzare foreign rendition of Celeine Dion's Titanic theme, and I'm sure the volume was turned up a bit in a bid to drown out the laughter from the stands.

And I'm sure radar systems at Manchester Airport were thrown into chaos, as an unidentifed round object suddenly appeared in the flight path of several 747's, midway through the second half. I'm sure that ball had ice on it when it came down.

All in all, nice win, and justice was served on a cowardly goalkeeper, who tried to get revenge for an accidental injury to his team mate.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:43 pm

I really meant to take a pen and notebook with me, but forgot (typical) - so it's a "bits and pieces" report...

Facts as already stated - we opened up well and took command for most of the first half, largely because we had one heck of a wake-up call after about five minutes when our defence was carved open and their shot (travelling at Mach 2) smacked against Rene's post and back into play. About five minutes later we had a corner and I noticed Antnee coming up for some of the action - next thing I knew he had scored!! I was in the "Family Stand" near the half-way line and when that goal went in I swear I was able to hear 5,000 people breathing, couldn't hear the "faithful", sorry to say, largely because they had no roof to project any sound outwards.

The second half both teams had about equal shares of the play, County had obviously had a bit of an ear-bashing during the interval, and after consistent pressure it was no real surprise when they were awarded a penalty. I actually had confidence in Gilmartin to pull off a save - for a lad of his height he's good at getting across and down to the ball, but in the event he wasn't called upon. The ball sailed well over the bar and was still rising when it met the Upper Stalls. That seemed to spur County on to further effort however, and when they got a free kick about five yards outside the area the equalising goal came direct from it, no deflection that I saw, and Rene nowhere near it. Questions have to be asked about the organisation of the defence in such a situation.

"OK" I thought, "I'll be reasonably happy with a draw" - and to be honest County applied more and more effort as the last ten minutes approached, and we were beginning to hang on. One or two defenders had "mad moments" of hoofing clear (and not so clear). At that stage when County had a corner we actuall had all eleven men back defending, which doesn't do much good when you do clear the lines, it just guarantees that the ball will come back towards your goal... However, we did have break-aways, and from one (a few minutes before the 90) Deeney put a very inviting cross over, unfortunately Jabo (I think) was shaping to do a Roger Boli bicycle kick at it at the same moment that a Stockport defender tried to head it clear, and the resultant head-meets-foot collision left their man flat out - a shame really, because the ball fell loose to another Walsall player who promptly smacked it into the net, but the whistle had already gone.

90 minutes up, and the announcement of 4 minutes added time was made. Anoher cross comes over (from the left), and Stockport keeper and defender go up for it, and a lovely own goal was the result. I definitely heard the cheering from that one, and the subsequent "gewin' dahn the Wensbry road ter see the Worsle aces" was very clear!!!

Individual summaries, for what they're worth:

Gilmartin: I was impressed by the lad. I don't think his kicking was woeful or anywhere near woeful. He did seem to prefer rolling the ball out a little way and playing it off the turf, which they tumbled after a while, and made sure he kicked from his hands. He did put a couple straight into touch, but it was only a couple. Oh, and shortly after their equaliser he was put under pressure by a not-very-good backpass, and hacked it almost at right-angles into touch. His more urgent problem seems to be positioning though - when they smacked a shot against the post from outside the area he did fling himself at it full-length (and he's tall) but he was nowhere near it. Similarly one or two optimistic shots they had in the second half from acute angles he was miles away from. I've already covered their equaliser from the free kick, he didn't move at all and presumably he was happy with the wall's ability to cover that side.

Weston: Didn't see much of him in the first half, but in the second half he became his own worst enemy - after one particularly bad "hoof" the crowd started making braying donkey noises at him, and he responded very unprofessionally by making Churchillian gestures (out of sight of the officials) back at the crowd. This got them more on his back and it seemed to get to him. A shame, because he did show neat touches from time to time.

Gerrard: Massive, clearing the lines with skill, he only missed one "bounce" that I saw, and still recovered quickly. Scored as well.

Smith: A bit anonymous first half - Gerrard was doing most of the defending, Smith picking up the loose ball and distributing. Came into it much more later on - next season looks promising if he and Antnee can maintain the form and understanding.

Palmer: In a way I was dreading seeing Palmer after all the flak that's been posted on him, and I was pleasantly surprised. All right, he's not the most accomplished player in the world, but he did try and find his own players with his passes. Tackling is admittedly weak though!

Mattis: Very strong, and when he does win the ball (which is most of the time) he looks to attack - not afraid to venture upfield, and quick to track back, unlike Weston.

Ricketts: I was disappointed in him, he looked slow, clumsy at times (possibly overweight??) and this led directly to two or three free kicks for County, because he just didn't have the speed or skill to dispossess a player without resorting to a foul, usually right under the referee's nose. Second half he dropped back to almost a midfield role, and the free kicks he gave away were that much nearer to our penalty area as a result. I wasn't surprised when he was substituted.

Ibehre: Did very well leading the line, held up the ball effectively and always looked to distribute positively. Ran his socks off, the complete opposite to Ricketts.

Zaboub: Another trier, always wanting to be in the thick of it, and played a left-wing role as honest as you'll see. Often skinned the County right-back for pace, and if the quality of the cross wasn't always perfect it wasn't through lack of effort.

Deeney: Obviously a young man still learning his trade, but linked up well with Jabo and Zab. With a bit of luck he could have had a couple.

Hughes: Not as much of an impact as Mattis, and I wondered whether he'd come back on when he was taken off with a "blood" wound in the second half. Back he did come though, with a distinctive bandanna round his head. In and out of the game, certainly not as noticeable as Gerrard and Smith.

Of the substitutes (who didn't have much time to impress) I'd have to say that Bradley certainly made his mark, closing down County players at every opportunity and (I think) having a hand in the build-up to our extra-time winner.

There were no bookings, the nearest was when a Stockport player kicked the ball away having conceded a free kick, all he got was a summons and a talking-to. Nothing really at stake for either team, so the game was played fairly gently. Where the ref got three minutes added time at the end of the first half I don't know!!!

Sorry it's such a long-winded report..... I don't get to many matches, so it's often all a bit new to me!! If I remember anything else I'll post separately :)

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season