Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 11/4/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Louise
UTS Legend

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 11/4/09.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Well on a positive note the Sun shone......
Tranmere def wanted it more - they are going for the Playoffs although based on todays performance I dont see them in the
Championship next season.
We had a good chance with Ricketts early on but seemed lacking in energy partic in the first half.
Rene had a very good game and made a couple of outstanding saves - the idiots who were groaning at his kicks should direct the same vitriol to Clayton who is prob worse than Gilmartin with his kicks.
I think the turning point was taking Nicholls off - why? I would have took Ricketts off for Deeney as he was out of it in the second half .
We had our chnaces but didnt put them away - Tranmere did with one of theirs, end of.

Special mention to the Ref who I thought was totally inept - some of the decisions in the second half were shocking and
he did not have a firm control on the game at all.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Rene, Smith, Gerrard and Nicholls stood out today. Ricketts and Jabo had their moments - but Jabo is just very ineffective infront of goal. I don't think anyone thought he was going to put away his chances today. Ricketts should have scored. Zaboob did well for having been out for a while, and Palmer had a good goal and it can be no coincidence that the goal came soon after he'd been moved from left-back. I thought Weston and Hughes had poor games - Weston was diving into silly challenges and seems to have caught hoof-itus again. Hughes consistently gave away niggly fouls in a poor display. I'd have given Craddock or Davies a much needed half an hour and hauled him or the ineffective but hardworking Bradley off.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Well, there you have it - that's the difference between genuinely contending for a playoff place and seeing a season fizzle out into nothing.

Yes, Tranmere probably (understandably) wanted it more than us, but they weren't much better than us. For them, Goodison always looked comfortable at centre half, and Sonko's quality cross for the goal was the difference. Were they made to work really hard for those three points? Probably not.

In terms of our side, nobody had a game worth writing home about and that's exactly why we are where we are in the table. I thought Gerrard and Smith generally looked solid, which is at least something to offer promise going into next season. Weston looked alright, despite Nicholls rarely offering him an outlet. Then we move on to Chris Palmer. Well, well, well - if he never wears a Walsall shirt again, I'll be delighted. He can't head, he can't tackle and on more than one occasion, he couldn't even manage to make a routine clearance. How he kept Boertein out of the side today, I'll never know.
Gilmartin still divides my opinion. He made 2 decent saves from one-on-ones and one great block from a volley, but his kicking and general command of his area seems to make us very shaky at the back. I'm not sure we can afford to give him long enough between the sticks to attempt to change that to be honest.

The midfield were ineffective. Simple as. Nicholls hides far too often, but at least managed to win a couple of free kicks from their dodgy left back. On the other side, I thought Zaaboub gave Shotton a nightmare, but all too often we left him isolated, and decent crosses into the box were too few and far between. As for the middle of the park, it was a game to forget. Hughes gave away far too many silly free kicks, and Bradley might as well have been sitting in the stands.

Jabo worked really hard and his shooting ability is the only reason why he's playing for us and not a team in a higher league. That says it all though. For all his good runs, decent hold-up play, hustle and bustle, he lacked conviction. Ricketts' sluggish performance offered him little help either.

What annoyed me today was the manner of our performance after we conceded. There was no urgency and no fight. Whilst we know we have nothing to play for in terms of playoff credentials or a relegation scrap, professional footballers with contracts to earn should offer more in my view. You could argue that their financial security for the coming years isn't my problem, but it becomes so when their attitudes affect the best interests of the fans who pay their wages.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Rene, Smith, Gerrard and Nicholls stood out today. Ricketts and Jabo had their moments - but Jabo is just very ineffective infront of goal. I don't think anyone thought he was going to put away his chances today. Ricketts should have scored. Zaboob did well for having been out for a while, and Palmer had a good goal and it can be no coincidence that the goal came soon after he'd been moved from left-back. I thought Weston and Hughes had poor games - Weston was diving into silly challenges and seems to have caught hoof-itus again. Hughes consistently gave away niggly fouls in a poor display. I'd have given Craddock or Davies a much needed half an hour and hauled him or the ineffective but hardworking Bradley off.

Pretty much summed it up but i would say that Gilmartin, who i'm not a great fan of, had his best game for us today with some good stops although his kicking is shocking at times.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Looks like the Play Off dream is over Barry :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:23 pm

I thought it was dull in the extreme. I thought Tranmere we average at best - and it just shows that a very ordinary team can be contending. But for a few better results, that could have been us. I cannot wait for this season to end. I will miss next week and I really am not bothered.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:35 pm

How we didn't get a point I will never know.
Tranmere were poor throughout and didn't deserve it. How the hell are they in the play-off places?!?

We played ok at times. Ricketts should have scored in the first half but hit the bar and Jabo should have scored in the second half but headed straight to the keeper.

Nicholls looked dangerous for us, as soon as he went off we lost all width down the right which lost us the game.

My annoyance, was that as soon as the ball was in the net our players gave up. No passion what so ever, Hutchings needs to give them all a good clip around the ear.

Ratings
Gilmartin - 6 - Poor in my opinion, looked nervous throughout, his kicking were woeful, the defence (Gerrard inparticular) didn't trust him at all. Did make a couple of decent saves though

Weston - 7 - Very average. Solid, did what was needed.

Smith - 9 - Solid at the back, another superb performance

Gerrard - 8 - Good performance, but out performed by Smith

Palmer - 7 - Decent from him for once!

Nicholls - 7 - In and out of the game, looked dangerous with the ball at his feet. We lost the game as soon as he went off.

Bradley - 6 - Non-existant throughout the match, poor performance. Get well soon Mattis!

Hughes - 7 - Decent performance, got stuck in, but we missed Mattis.

'Boub - 7 - In and out of the match, but wasn't creative enough with the ball.

Jabo - 8 - Worked his socks off, deserved a goal, frustrated upfront.

Ricketts - 6 - Looked lazy, unfit and disinterested. Missed a sitter in the first half.

SUBS
Deeney - 7 - Looked sharp when he came on, but didn't realy get into the game on the right handside.

Boertien - 6 - Not enough time to do anything.

MOTM: Manny Smith

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:36 pm

How you can say Gilmartin was poor amazes me - he made 3 world class saves! Yes, his kicking was poor, but his saves were class.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:How you can say Gilmartin was poor amazes me - he made 3 world class saves! Yes, his kicking was poor, but his saves were class.

"World class" is way over the top.
1) Was straight at him. He could have saved it with his eyes closed.
2) He was out of position for it. If he was in position he wouldn't have struggled to tip it round the post for a corner.
3) ????? - apart from a sort of one-on-one he prevented

To be honest, I think Clayton would have done better with all of them.

At the moment, Gilmartin isn't good enough. He may be in the future, but he is nowhere near league one standard at this current time.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:50 pm

World class is deffo over the top, he made a good save with his legs, and he had one straight at him which he did well to get too through a crowd of players. The 3rd save he made was very godo though, that ball wor half movin.

Im sorry but i dont think you can criticise Palmer today, he had a good game, and boertien looked lost when he came on.

Ricketts should of gone off earlier, but i think he deffo improved when he dropped deep.

For me Hughes and bradley were by far the worst players on the pitch, they couldnt get control of midfield, neither offer much, hughes offers Zero, other than backwards passes.

We really missed a keates/taundry esque midfielder today, we needed a headless chicken to go and grab the midfield by the bollocks and get the ball.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:World class is deffo over the top, he made a good save with his legs, and he had one straight at him which he did well to get too through a crowd of players. The 3rd save he made was very godo though, that ball wor half movin.

Im sorry but i dont think you can criticise Palmer today, he had a good game, and boertien looked lost when he came on.

Ricketts should of gone off earlier, but i think he deffo improved when he dropped deep.

For me Hughes and bradley were by far the worst players on the pitch, they couldnt get control of midfield, neither offer much, hughes offers Zero, other than backwards passes.

We really missed a keates/taundry esque midfielder today, we needed a headless chicken to go and grab the midfield by the betties and get the ball.

I have to agree 100% with you there. We realy did miss the touch tackling and control that Mattis gives us. Lets hope Mattis is better for monday! If not, give Taundry a run in the middle if he has recovered from his hamstring 'niggle'

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Gilmartin did well today.Had Clayton been in goal we could have conceeded 2 or 3 today. The save Gilmartin made before half time Clayton would have just flapped at. Gilmartin's kicking was better than Clayton's most weeks, he deserves a run in the side. I thought today's substitutions were odd. I would have took Ricketts off on the hour and put Deeney on or possibly Craddock. Either would have done more than Ricketss today. Smith again was brilliant. If we have the nucleus of young players for next season and get some experience that isn't up for pension some time soon we could contend next season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:10 pm

latviancheese wrote:For me Hughes and bradley were by far the worst players on the pitch, they couldnt get control of midfield, neither offer much, hughes offers Zero, other than backwards passes.

I agree.
Hughes gets himself on the ball a fair bit, and wastes far fewer passes than his team-mates. The problem is, given his lack of mobility, he needs to be playing alongside someone who has the ability carry a threat in the final third as well as being available to receive the ball from the back. Neither Mattis nor Bradley seem to do this, unfortunately.

Bradley really is becoming a nondescript footballer. He literally offered nothing today.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Roll on the end of the season and let's start again.

Mediocrity personified.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Im sorry but i dont think you can criticise Palmer today

I'll wait till tomorrow then.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm sick and tired of these dickheads that can't wait to jeer Gilmartin everytime he kicks one awol. Yeah, is kicking is desperate at times but what the fudge help is the jeering going to do to help? Clayton's kicking is hardly top notch but I don't hear the same boo's then.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:06 pm

tinned wrote:I'm sick and tired of these dickheads that can't wait to jeer Gilmartin everytime he kicks one awol. Yeah, is kicking is desperate at times but what the **** help is the jeering going to do to help? Clayton's kicking is hardly top notch but I don't hear the same boo's then.

I have to say today confirmed to me gilmartin is good enough, his kicking today was mainly down to inexperiance, because he took too long to think about it. He also didnt communicate much on certain occasions today, but that is also down to inexperiance. If anybody had seen him play for hednesford a year or so ago, he's come on leaps and bounds since then!

His kicking was perfect but for 1 or 2 stutters. I dont really care if Ince buggers off now.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:15 am

tinned wrote:I'm sick and tired of these dickheads that can't wait to jeer Gilmartin everytime he kicks one awol. Yeah, is kicking is desperate at times but what the **** help is the jeering going to do to help? Clayton's kicking is hardly top notch but I don't hear the same boo's then.

totally agree with you, your can see he has good goalkeepeing attributes and we all know that kicking can be improved. All he need is a bit more experiance and he will be great. Ihope he will get the chance to shine and improve next season

as for the game, nice to see eddy sonko playing well, always liked him when he was here, ricketts was a waste of space in my opinion today, jabo worked well and i think if he and deeney started upfront the score may have been different, hughes broke up play well now and again but is way too slow, bradley didnt get into it, thought palmer had one of his better games, smith was excellent, gerrard played well but got caught out of position on a few occasions, weston was better than recent games but still not the player he was, nicholls played well in my opinion, zaaboob was good first half but never touched the ball in the second, overall i think we played ok in parts but we are lacking that cutting edge in midfield. I think we missed mattis today with his energy and box to box play.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:53 am

Disappointing? Yes? Predictable? Sadly, yes. I had hoped that possible contract renewals might have been sufficient motivation to add that little extra spark to our performance but that was not the case. A very mediocre Tranmere side snatched a victory that they scarcely deserved in a game of very few chances (at either end).

Gilmartin - he has clearly been coached by Ince in the matter of his kicking! :twisted: That apart, he had a good game, collecting crosses and making one outstanding save, in the first half. Wyrley Saddler's description of him, above, just beggars belief! I would keep Gilmartin in goal for the rest of the season, to assess him.
Weston - fair, but still not back to last season's level - at fault with the build-up to their goal.
Gerrard - generally sound - had Savage "in his pocket" until the latter moved out to the wing.
Smith - not as commanding as recent games but growing in confidence and gaining experience.
Palmer - struggled at left back but, then again, is that surprising for a right-winger?
Nicholls - looked to have the beating of his marker (who was subbed off) but failed to deliver any end-product.
Hughes - Poor until last quarter of an hour when he finally came into the game (but only after Tranmere had decided to shut up shop).
Bradley - as a Bradley fan, it grieves me to write this, but he was totally anonymous. What has happened to him? Is it the tactics? Is it the selection of his midfield partners?
Zaaboub - flattered to deceive, in flashes - not sure how he got sponsors' MotM.
Ibehre - simple - just not good enough - end of argument.
Ricketts - one of his more indolent displays - contributed very little.

Deeney - came on for Nicholls, on the right wing (which, of course, neither of them are!). Strange substitution.
Boertien - on for Zaaboub, allowing Palmer to move up to the left wing. Like Weston, he still "off the pace" (perhaps not surprising, given the number of games that he has missed). At fault with their goal as he does not get "touch tight" to mark his opponent (a bit like the 2nd Southend goal, recently).

Their goal came from Weston allowing Sonko (?) to get in a cross to the far post for Savage to finish off, in fine style. Ronnie Moore must take credit for the tactical switch. Savage was being comfortably dominated by Gerrard so he was switched out to the right to exploit Palmer. Hutchings responded by bringing on Boertien. Sadly for us, that was no improvement (see above).

If the standard of Tranmere is all that we have to achieve to make the play-offs, then I'm sure H. & O. can put together a decent side, next season.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:19 am

I'll agree with all that Pedagogue.

Who was your MoM then? For me, it was between Gilmartin (kicking aside, which is still pretty shocking), and Gerrard who, as you say, kept the giant Savage quiet and refused to be dominated at corners etc. As you say, only when Savage moved out wide did he become a threat.

For the Gerrard-baiters, I'd like to know whether you thought his attitude yesterday was that of a want-away. Personally, I thought he looked committed enough. Also good to read in the papers that he was one of those who waited behind into the night in London for Smith in hospital after the Millwall injury.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:34 am

King Crimson wrote:
For the Gerrard-baiters, I'd like to know whether you thought his attitude yesterday was that of a want-away. Personally, I thought he looked committed enough. Also good to read in the papers that he was one of those who waited behind into the night in London for Smith in hospital after the Millwall injury.

Good to hear, that. We need a team full of Gerrards. We don't need a team of last pay day hunters that include Weston, Boertien, Palmer,Hughes, Roberts and Ricketts. Wholesale changes in the summer with a bit of luck.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:25 am

King Crimson wrote:Who was your MotM then? For me, it was between Gilmartin (kicking aside, which is still pretty shocking), and Gerrard who, as you say, kept the giant Savage quiet and refused to be dominated at corners etc.

Yes, I would have given it to Gerrard, just ahead of Gilmartin.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:07 am

Positives to take from reading this thread are Gilmartin and Smith , hopefuly CH and MOC work on Gerrard and get him to stay

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:49 am

I forgot sonko was playing, other than Weston allowing him 75 yards of space for the goal, he did naff all.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:40 am

probs a hard time for antnee,he lost family 20 yrs ago,weve all seen it on tv

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:19 pm

windowman wrote:probs a hard time for antnee,he lost family 20 yrs ago,weve all seen it on tv

I thought it was quite bad we dint have a minutes silence, that must of annoyed him, probably syked him up for the game abit.

Harlequin

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:50 pm

I agree with most of what you have said and 4 things in particular have stayed with me since yesterdays game;

1. Gilmartin - What is it with some people that irrespective of what he does in a game he will never be good enough for them. I too thought his handling was very good and the three saves he had to make were top drawer. I'll settle for improving his kicking as long as he continues to look safe between the sticks. As for the comments about him unsettling the defence in front of him .... do me a favour... if they all win their own battles we'll be okay.

2. Hughes - (The nearly man) Whether his legs have gone or just struggling for fitness he just seemed to arrive too late for anything. By the time he arrived on the scene the ball had moved on leaving him clumsily barging the player. Reminded me of the tubby playground bully who couldn't play for toffee and had to resort to spiteful digs whenever he could get close enough.

3. Palmer - Actually thought he was okay until pushed forward later on. However, it makes my blood boil to see players actually pull out of challenges and after the second time I would have pulled him off and made it clear to him how cowardly he had behaved (when I think of Manny lying on the ground last week). I'm sure someone like O'connor must have been as embarrassed as I was to see any proffessional player, never mind a player of ours do that.

My fourth point refers to the suggestion that players are playing for their contracts. I'm quite relieved that we do not appear to have any players who are going to "play out of their skins", sign on the dotted line and then revert to type next season. I think they are helping the Gaffer with his decisions very nicely, thank you.

Pedagogue wrote:Disappointing? Yes? Predictable? Sadly, yes. I had hoped that possible contract renewals might have been sufficient motivation to add that little extra spark to our performance but that was not the case. A very mediocre Tranmere side snatched a victory that they scarcely deserved in a game of very few chances (at either end).

Gilmartin - he has clearly been coached by Ince in the matter of his kicking! :twisted: That apart, he had a good game, collecting crosses and making one outstanding save, in the first half. Wyrley Saddler's description of him, above, just beggars belief! I would keep Gilmartin in goal for the rest of the season, to assess him.
Weston - fair, but still not back to last season's level - at fault with the build-up to their goal.
Gerrard - generally sound - had Savage "in his pocket" until the latter moved out to the wing.
Smith - not as commanding as recent games but growing in confidence and gaining experience.
Palmer - struggled at left back but, then again, is that surprising for a right-winger?
Nicholls - looked to have the beating of his marker (who was subbed off) but failed to deliver any end-product.
Hughes - Poor until last quarter of an hour when he finally came into the game (but only after Tranmere had decided to shut up shop).
Bradley - as a Bradley fan, it grieves me to write this, but he was totally anonymous. What has happened to him? Is it the tactics? Is it the selection of his midfield partners?
Zaaboub - flattered to deceive, in flashes - not sure how he got sponsors' MotM.
Ibehre - simple - just not good enough - end of argument.
Ricketts - one of his more indolent displays - contributed very little.

Deeney - came on for Nicholls, on the right wing (which, of course, neither of them are!). Strange substitution.
Boertien - on for Zaaboub, allowing Palmer to move up to the left wing. Like Weston, he still "off the pace" (perhaps not surprising, given the number of games that he has missed). At fault with their goal as he does not get "touch tight" to mark his opponent (a bit like the 2nd Southend goal, recently).

Their goal came from Weston allowing Sonko (?) to get in a cross to the far post for Savage to finish off, in fine style. Ronnie Moore must take credit for the tactical switch. Savage was being comfortably dominated by Gerrard so he was switched out to the right to exploit Palmer. Hutchings responded by bringing on Boertien. Sadly for us, that was no improvement (see above).

If the standard of Tranmere is all that we have to achieve to make the play-offs, then I'm sure H. & O. can put together a decent side, next season.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Harlequin wrote:I agree with most of what you have said and 4 things in particular have stayed with me since yesterdays game;

1. Gilmartin - What is it with some people that irrespective of what he does in a game he will never be good enough for them. I too thought his handling was very good and the three saves he had to make were top drawer. I'll settle for improving his kicking as long as he continues to look safe between the sticks. As for the comments about him unsettling the defence in front of him .... do me a favour... if they all win their own battles we'll be okay.

There were several times yesterday Gerrard deliberately stopped the ball going to Gilmartin. One was when he should have passed it back, instead he decided to take the risk of turning and then clearing. Another was when a completely harmless, powerless, low cross came into the box, Gilmartin went down to allow it to roll into his awaiting hands, and then Gerrard slid in at a rate of knots to put it out for a corner. If Clayton was in goal I bet neither of these would have happened. It was quite clear to me and my mate that the defence, especially Gezza, didn't trust Gilmartin.

Also, I am not having a dig at Rene at every chance, I just think he isn't good enough for us at the moment. Maybe he will be in a few years, but at the moment he isn't anywhere near good enough. I hope it's only down to inexperience. I would suggest bringing in a back up keeper in the summer and then allowing Rene to go out on loan to a league two club or possible blue square prem to give him much needed first team football.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:44 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
windowman wrote:probs a hard time for antnee,he lost family 20 yrs ago,weve all seen it on tv

I thought it was quite bad we dint have a minutes silence, that must of annoyed him, probably syked him up for the game abit.

I'd imagine that league games on Monday will have one if they think it apt. That's the closest to 15th April. So there may be a minutes silence at Stockport. :idea:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
Harlequin wrote:I agree with most of what you have said and 4 things in particular have stayed with me since yesterdays game;

There were several times yesterday Gerrard deliberately stopped the ball going to Gilmartin. One was when he should have passed it back, instead he decided to take the risk of turning and then clearing. Another was when a completely harmless, powerless, low cross came into the box, Gilmartin went down to allow it to roll into his awaiting hands, and then Gerrard slid in at a rate of knots to put it out for a corner. If Clayton was in goal I bet neither of these would have happened. It was quite clear to me and my mate that the defence, especially Gezza, didn't trust Gilmartin.

Also, I am not having a dig at Rene at every chance, I just think he isn't good enough for us at the moment. Maybe he will be in a few years, but at the moment he isn't anywhere near good enough. I hope it's only down to inexperience. I would suggest bringing in a back up keeper in the summer and then allowing Rene to go out on loan to a league two club or possible blue square prem to give him much needed first team football.

I disagree. I'd like him to get that experience playing for us as he is good enough. No keeper is perfect at this level (or any level for that matter), not even with years of experience like Ince has.

His kicking isn't bad as some suggest, he just seems too often to rush to clear the ball and as such it affects the kick. When he doesn't rush his kicking is good, as is his shot stopping. His minor flaws will lessen with experience.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season