Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (A) League 1 Saturday 4/4/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Millwall (A) League 1 Saturday 4/4/09.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Not overly surprised, but will save my 'well done anyway the lads' until someone posts a report after seeing the carnage.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:04 am

Anybody go yesterday? If not then I will post an account of my day out to Llandudno and the Great Orme including a record breaking Giant Haddock and chip meal, the total number of scousers wearing a badly fitting skin tight Liverpool shirt and the average wind speed on top of the Orme.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:03 am

Cully wrote:Anybody go yesterday? If not then I will post an account of my day out to Llandudno and the Great Orme including a record breaking Giant Haddock and chip meal, the total number of scousers wearing a badly fitting skin tight Liverpool shirt and the average wind speed on top of the Orme.

I hope you were vigilant with those enormous seagulls there, Cully. They are brazen, and will steal your chips! :!:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:24 am

Exile wrote:Not overly surprised, but will save my 'well done anyway the lads' until someone posts a report after seeing the carnage.

agreed always going to be an uphill battle.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Cully wrote:Anybody go yesterday? If not then I will post an account of my day out to Llandudno and the Great Orme including a record breaking Giant Haddock and chip meal, the total number of scousers wearing a badly fitting skin tight Liverpool shirt and the average wind speed on top of the Orme.

Did you execute any Scousers?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:45 pm

King Crimson wrote:

I hope you were vigilant with those enormous seagulls there, Cully. They are brazen, and will steal your chips! :!:

Too right about the seagulls mate. I spend quite a bit of time in LLandudno as my caravan is just a few miles west of there at Penmaenmawr, the other side of Conway. A year or so ago I was in the high street and these two women were sitting on a low wall tucking into a couple of enormous baps (of the bread variety). A seagull was perched a little way along the wall, and must have been eyeing up the nosh. Suddenly it saw the opportunity. It took off - just a few feet - then dived in from slightly above and behind her. Took the older woman completely by surprise as it flew/barged straight through her hair-do and snatched the top clean off her bap. Her shock was obvious from both her face and her language!

Hilarious sight, as she first chased the seagull, swearing as she went, then suddenly seemed to realise it was all futile anyway as the bread would of course have been inedible by then!

It's a warning to be heeded and a lesson to be learned by anyone bold enough to open their food in Llandudno town centre ! :lol:

By the way Cully, which chippie did you get your food from, was it the big one on the corner of the high street, towards the top end of the town? (The top end being, to me, the opposite end from the new retail parks).

SWS1

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Ahem. Are we forgetting the small matter of the match @ 'Wall?
Despite the defeat, I was not disheartened by the performance (OK, leaking 3 goals ain't good but there was an element of luck about two of them).
I thought the players put in the required effort and matched Millwall comfortably for long periods, often taking the game to them. The only time I felt we were second best was after Manny Smith went off; they had the game won and just knocked the ball around to keep it off us - which they succeeded in doing for the last 10 or 12 minutes. I was not impressed with 'Wall to tell the truth. If they are top 4, we've got a chance next season.

Jockney

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:49 pm

The first hour was as bad as we have played all season, but we still managed to knock three past you. I'm not overly concerned about our performance yesterday; we have a habit of winning games even when we don't play particularly well.

Didn't think Walsall were too bad. Awful defence, but a decent enough midfield. Jabo caused us some problems, but it's clear to see why he's still in this division. You won't challenge with your current squad, but get a couple of decent defenders, a competent winger and a goalscorer, and things, maybe different in a few months. All the best next season, if we go up.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:59 pm

good to see jabo with a goal but i still dont know if i would offer him a new contract

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:15 pm

SWS1 wrote:If they are top 4, we've got a chance next season.

Woo-hoo. We can get our hopes up again! Should have a sweepstake on what month they'll be dashed by. :(

Jockney wrote:we have a habit of winning games even when we don't play particularly well.

Just as well, by the sound of it. :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:03 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Too right about the seagulls mate. I spend quite a bit of time in LLandudno as my caravan is just a few miles west of there at Penmaenmawr, the other side of Conway. A year or so ago I was in the high street and these two women were sitting on a low wall tucking into a couple of enormous baps (of the bread variety). A seagull was perched a little way along the wall, and must have been eyeing up the nosh. Suddenly it saw the opportunity. It took off - just a few feet - then dived in from slightly above and behind her. Took the older woman completely by surprise as it flew/barged straight through her hair-do and snatched the top clean off her bap. Her shock was obvious from both her face and her language!

Hilarious sight, as she first chased the seagull, swearing as she went, then suddenly seemed to realise it was all futile anyway as the bread would of course have been inedible by then!

It's a warning to be heeded and a lesson to be learned by anyone bold enough to open their food in Llandudno town centre ! :lol:

By the way Cully, which chippie did you get your food from, was it the big one on the corner of the high street, towards the top end of the town? (The top end being, to me, the opposite end from the new retail parks).

It was on the corner of Trinity Square if that makes sense, one of those time warp cafe cum seaside sit down places with bench seats set out in rows and a little kiosk where you pay. I've been there a few times over the last 30 odd years, father-in-law connections both in Llandudno and Penmaenmawr.

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Did you execute any Scousers?

I couldn't get near them to land any blows because they disappeared down the drains as quick as I spotted them :(

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:19 pm

Cully wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

It was on the corner of Trinity Square if that makes sense, one of those time warp cafe cum seaside sit down places with bench seats set out in rows and a little kiosk where you pay. I've been there a few times over the last 30 odd years, father-in-law connections both in Llandudno and Penmaenmawr.

Thanks, I'm there next weekend so shall look it up and give it a try, assuming your description of the haddock is adequate recommendation. :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:good to see jabo with a goal but i still dont know if i would offer him a new contract

I don't think I would. A forward should score goals, and he does'nt do enough of that for me. He's a third 'back up' striker at best, which would be the only reason to keep him - presuming both Ricketts/Deeney are the first choice pairing and remain so next season. Even in that scenario, if we can get someone else better, we should ship him out.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:good to see jabo with a goal but i still dont know if i would offer him a new contract

I don't think I would. A forward should score goals, and he does'nt do enough of that for me. He's a third 'back up' striker at best, which would be the only reason to keep him - presuming both Ricketts/Deeney are the first choice pairing and remain so next season. Even in that scenario, if we can get someone else better, we should ship him out.

Be nice if, now he's found the net, he goes on a Deeney-esque scoring streak between now and the end of the season. :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 am

Exile wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Be nice if, now he's found the net, he goes on a Deeney-esque scoring streak between now and the end of the season. :D

Not really, because the goals would be to no purpose and would tempt us to give him a new contract when the last thing we need next season is a striker with no touch, the turning circle of an oil tanker and who is prone to excessively long scoring droughts.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season