Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Saturday 21/3/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Re: Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Saturday 21/3/09.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Great result. 1 defeat in 6 aways, good stuff. Well done lads.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Great result and another clean sheet again. Makes the bizarre events of last weekend even more dumbfounding.

UTS!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Great result and another clean sheet again. Makes the bizarre events of last weekend even more dumbfounding.

UTS!

I agree.

Well done boys!

Pleased too for those who made the trip sarf.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:42 pm

That's a great result considering they were on a decent run and we were without 2 of our better players.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Back home after a short 30 minute drive and jeez, was that the worst advert for League 1 football ever seen or what...

It was a deserved win in the sense that we created the only 'hand on heart' good chance of the match, that being the goal. Orient looked every bit a relegation side with no idea, pace, movement or even sense of what they were on the pitch to do. Saying that, neither did we really. We looked fairly sound at the back, although I'd say that was because Orient wouldn't have scored in a brothel full of blind women. Going forward, neither team offered anything with only Zaboub looking as though he'd be the one person to create something, even he was sporadic.

It looked like an end of season game between two mid-table teams such was the urgency in the match. Our goal was the only bit of decent football in the game, a bit of decent passing, and a great well time run from deep from Bradley, who ran between the centre halves onto Deeney's ball (I think it was Deeney) and calmly put it past the keeper.

Overall, I wasted 5 hours of my life and about £30, but hey ho, at least we got 3 points and a clean sheet. Would have been suicidal had we lost.

Ince - Claimed everything, dominated his box, was sound and my Orient supporting mate thought he was very good.
Palmer - Honestly, how does he make a living out of being a professional footballer? Defensively was poor and when he does get the ball, only seems capable of hoofing it 50 yards.
Boertein - Poor again, although got away with it as their right winger was tosh.
Smith - Defended like a defender, got a head to aerial balls, got a foot to other balls, very no nonsense.
Weston - See Smith
Nicholls - Never really got into the game, didn't offer anything going forward.
Mattis - Held the middle, mopped up nicely without ever really imposing himself.
Bradley - Abject for the first 44 minutes, didn't really notice him till his Terry Butcher style headband after the injury. Took his goal well and seemed to have a bit more confidence in the 2nd half, wouldn't say he was impressive though.
Zaboub - Floated in and out, if we were going to create anything it would probably have come through him, but again, wouldn't say he was impressive.
Jabo - Didn't dominate in the air, didn't work the channels, held the ball up fairly well at times but never looked like scoring. Pretty poor I though.
Deeney - See Jabo.

Taundry came on for Nicholls, don't think he touched the ball more than half a dozen times.
Shroot came on for Jabo, don't think he touched the ball more than twice.

Poor excuse for a football match, but as I said, 3 points and a clean sheet can't be a bad thing.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Great day out then Stu

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:39 pm

yea it sounded like a poor game on sadd world but still happy with the result , only plunges Orient into further trouble though

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:49 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:Great day out then Stu

The alternative was walking around Bluewater on a Saturday afternoon with the missus and her daughter, so even an abysmal game of football was a better option. :)

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Just back . Didnt think it was as bad as all that , but agree it had a strangely end of season feel , despite Orient still being in trouble. Maybe was the warm Spring weather .I enjoyed it , as you do when you win away one nil ; decent away following , nice pint in the Coach and Horses .

There was a big lack of quality all round , the only really good bit deservedly led to our goal .

Considering Orient were so woeful i think we gave them too many sights of goal , and needed Ince on several occasions . The back four were okish without really dominating , although Smith was hesitant on a few occasions .

Bradley took a long time to get into game but took his goal well and was better second half ; Mattis battled well ; Nicholls was never really in it , and Zaboub was without doubt our main outlet and biggest danger .

Things didnt fall very kindly for Deeney or Jabo , but i thought Deeney's touch and heading was better than Jabo today , who seemed to trip up over the ball and was off the pace a bit . Clearly very liked by the home crowd , and got a great ovation when he went off though .

Thought Taundry did well when he came on .

Overall a good day and we got our reward for a good spell in the first half and scored at a good time.

Ince 8
Palmer 6
Weston 7
Smith 6
Boertien 7

Mattis 7
Bradley 7
Nicholls 6
Zaboub 7 and a half

Deeney 6
Jabo 5 and a half

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:49 pm

I agree with much of what Stu said, but not all. I was surprised how poor Orient were, considering their recent good run. They were clueless in our penalty-area.

Ince - had nothing to do in the first half and made two excellent saves in the second. Provided the only real entertainment of the afternoon with his "sparring" with the Orient mascot - yes, just what the f*****g hell was that? :mrgreen:
Palmer - I feel sorry for him. He is useless but he is the first to admit that he can't defend to save his life. So why is he being selected to play at right-back? An "assist" for the goal.
Weston - barely o.k. and, as many have said, his distribution is poor.
Smith - a nervy start but grew in confidence as the game wore on.
Boertien - I'm surprised that Stu slated him as I felt he had a decent game.
Nicholls - ineffective in attack but tracked back and worked hard, helping out Palmer.
Mattis - took over Hughes's rôle both as holding midfield player and captain and did both jobs better.
Bradley - a bit more like his old self. Took his goal well.
Zaaboub - Very "patchy". Good crosser of the ball. Two blatant dives - one conned the ref but the second was ignored.
Ibehre - On his own, up front, but no dream return and never looked like scoring. Will probably make way for Ricketts when the latter is available.
Deeney - back to his old standards - does not appear to know how to play off someone like Ibehre
Taundry & Shroot - late substitutes for Nicholls and Ibehre, respectively.

Reasonable following - in good voice, particularly Doffer! :D
Great to see the Flemish Saddlers there, again. I hope that they managed to get their 8-00 p.m. ferry home.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Probably the worst match i've been to all season in terms of football. Two poor teams playing hoof ball for 90 minutes. Neither team got it down and played.

Orient never realy threatened us. Every time they got anywhere near our goal, Ince was there to thwart them.

The fans were the most entertaining part of the match. Decent atmosphere at times from the Saddlers and when we weren't singing we were having a laugh with each other.

Good win for us though, in a 'pointless' game for us.
Up The Super Saddlers

Also, when that Mkandwire (sp.) was injured, Orient's mascot was hilarious, messing about with Ince

I've uploaded my videos from today onto youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...va&view=videos

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:04 pm

A win is a win no matter how bad it's won. At this time of the season where there is lttle to play for 3 points are all that matters. After the diabolical display the other week i'm pleased to get the points no matter how they were won.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:12 am

Pedagogue wrote:Deeney - back to his old standards - does not appear to know how to play off someone like Ibehre

Actually, I think it's just about impossible to play off Ibehre. I thought Jabo rivalled Palmer for being the worst player on the park today. Giving the ball to him is like giving it to the opposition, because giving it away is all he ever does with it (apart from running down blind alleys). I hope he's only on a one year deal, because I wouldn't want to have to pay him to break up our attacking play again next season. I thought that Deeney did actually win some decent aerial ball (even if he never looked like scoring), but Jabo never reacted to the knock downs (and didn't get even remotely close to winning any ball himself).

Other than that, I agree with Stu: poor game won by the one piece of quality play by either side.

Given our makeshift defence, I wouldn't be too critical of our performance today. It was up to Orient as the home side and the one needing the points to force the issue. They didn't and we did enough to win it. Job done.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:10 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Deeney - back to his old standards - does not appear to know how to play off someone like Ibehre.

Actually, I think it's just about impossible to play off Ibehre. I thought Jabo rivalled Palmer for being the worst player on the park today. Giving the ball to him is like giving it to the opposition, because giving it away is all he ever does with it (apart from running down blind alleys). I hope he's only on a one year deal, because I wouldn't want to have to pay him to break up our attacking play again next season. I thought that Deeney did actually win some decent aerial ball (even if he never looked like scoring), but Jabo never reacted to the knock downs (and didn't get even remotely close to winning any ball himself).

Like you, I don't rate Ibehre (and I hope that he is released, at the end of the season), but I felt that, at least, he offered himself up as a target, or outlet, to our defence and midfield when they were under pressure whereas Deeney rarely did so. I would have liked to have seen Deeney play closer to Ibehre to possibly feed off the "second ball". At present, they are just not a partnership.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 am

I think the problem with Deeney & Jabo playing upfront together is that Jabo is to unpredictable. Deeney doesn't know where to be to get the ball like he does when he plays alongside Ricketts.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Deeney - back to his old standards - does not appear to know how to play off someone like Ibehre.

Like you, I don't rate Ibehre (and I hope that he is released, at the end of the season), but I felt that, at least, he offered himself up as a target, or outlet, to our defence and midfield when they were under pressure whereas Deeney rarely did so. I would have liked to have seen Deeney play closer to Ibehre to possibly feed off the "second ball". At present, they are just not a partnership.

I think its a case of understanding who is to do what. If as you say, Deeney should be looking for the second ball, then Jabo has to start working much harder to make the first ball. Deeney won a number of first balls yesterday that were hoofed out, and they weren't straight to him, he worked to get on the end of them. I don't see Jabo doing that.

Jabo might work a lot and wear defenders out, but he is a bit of a jack of all traders, master of none player. He doesn't dominate the air, he doesn't bully defenders like he should with his frame, he doesn't stretch defenders enough down the channels and he rarely looks like getting into a scoring position.

I don't think Deeney knows whether to go for the first ball or not, and thats the problem, neither of them seem to know which is the focal point of our attack. When Ricketts plays, everyone knows he is the focal point.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:53 am

1-0 is great away - a goal difference is a goal difference however you look at it, and you can only beat what's put in front of you. We had to be better than rubbish, we were better than rubbish. Job done!

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:57 am

Pedagogue wrote:Palmer - I feel sorry for him. He is useless but he is the first to admit that he can't defend to save his life. So why is he being selected to play at right-back? An "assist" for the goal.

Really? I'm pretty sure it was Deeney with the assist.

Never mind, I'm sure your right. You have so much more "knowledge and experience of life and football in general" than me.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 am

Agree with much of the above - a scrappy affair but with us just having the edge.

I thought Zaboub and Ince were our pick. It's interesting that some have focused in on Zaboubs attempts to "help the ref"(copyright Dario Gardi) rather than yet more of his outstanding wing play. His run, cut inside, right footed curler that a desperate finger tip only just diverted round the post/bar was true quality and we had the best view in the ground of it. Ince didn't have anything as stretching as that to contend with but did pull off a couple of decent saves.

Bradley seems to be getting stronger each week and took his goal really well - but what was that goal celebration all about?

Troy seems a bit lost when playing with Jabo, but then so does Jabo. I don't think the role Michaels Ricketts has played in the development of Troy can be under-estimated.

Honourable mention for Smith too. Doing the simple thing really well.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 am

"Smith - Defended like a defender, got a head to aerial balls, got a foot to other balls, very no nonsense. "

The new Ian Roper :D

Another pleasing result , ok not a classic performance by many accounts but a clean sheet away from home is always most welcome.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:09 am

Stu wrote:Back home after a short 30 minute drive and jeez, was that the worst advert for League 1 football ever seen or what...

It was a deserved win in the sense that we created the only 'hand on heart' good chance of the match, that being the goal. Orient looked every bit a relegation side with no idea, pace, movement or even sense of what they were on the pitch to do. Saying that, neither did we really. We looked fairly sound at the back, although I'd say that was because Orient wouldn't have scored in a brothel full of blind women. Going forward, neither team offered anything with only Zaboub looking as though he'd be the one person to create something, even he was sporadic.

It looked like an end of season game between two mid-table teams such was the urgency in the match. Our goal was the only bit of decent football in the game, a bit of decent passing, and a great well time run from deep from Bradley, who ran between the centre halves onto Deeney's ball (I think it was Deeney) and calmly put it past the keeper.

Overall, I wasted 5 hours of my life and about £30, but hey ho, at least we got 3 points and a clean sheet. Would have been suicidal had we lost.

Ince - Claimed everything, dominated his box, was sound and my Orient supporting mate thought he was very good.
Palmer - Honestly, how does he make a living out of being a professional footballer? Defensively was poor and when he does get the ball, only seems capable of hoofing it 50 yards.
Boertein - Poor again, although got away with it as their right winger was tosh.
Smith - Defended like a defender, got a head to aerial balls, got a foot to other balls, very no nonsense.
Weston - See Smith
Nicholls - Never really got into the game, didn't offer anything going forward.
Mattis - Held the middle, mopped up nicely without ever really imposing himself.
Bradley - Abject for the first 44 minutes, didn't really notice him till his Terry Butcher style headband after the injury. Took his goal well and seemed to have a bit more confidence in the 2nd half, wouldn't say he was impressive though.
Zaboub - Floated in and out, if we were going to create anything it would probably have come through him, but again, wouldn't say he was impressive.
Jabo - Didn't dominate in the air, didn't work the channels, held the ball up fairly well at times but never looked like scoring. Pretty poor I though.
Deeney - See Jabo.

Taundry came on for Nicholls, don't think he touched the ball more than half a dozen times.
Shroot came on for Jabo, don't think he touched the ball more than twice.

Poor excuse for a football match, but as I said, 3 points and a clean sheet can't be a bad thing.

Where i agree on some players others you have been VERY harsh with, Boeriten especially, i thought he was one of our best players.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:29 am

Percie wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Palmer - I feel sorry for him. He is useless but he is the first to admit that he can't defend to save his life. So why is he being selected to play at right-back? An "assist" for the goal.

Never mind, I'm sure your right. You have so much more "knowledge and experience of life and football in general" than me.

Looked like Deeney on the highlights a second ago. :wink:

Absolutely perfect through ball too!! If his "old standards" mean setting up goals like that then I'll be very happy. Five assists to go with his eleven goals now. That's almost identical to Ricketts (who has one more goal), but without the red cards. Incidentally, in Fryatt's first full season in League 1 he scored 15 goals. What price Deeney to match that - despite being played on the wing for half the season...

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:53 am

I'm not saying Boertien had a stinker, I've just seen him play a lot better than that to be honest. He was sound defensively, as i said, but that was because their right winger wasn't really very good, but I've seen him offer a lot more with the ball and a lot more going forward. My nan would have been one of our best players yesterday and she died 5 years ago or so.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Percie wrote:

Don't be so bitter, Percie :D . I seem to recall that Palmer won the ball, passed it to Nicholls who then worked it Bradley via Ibehre and Deeney. I was trying desperately to find something positive to say about Palmer!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:50 pm

3 points is 3 points. Happy with that!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Happy with the result

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:38 am

1-0 away win only 56 posts. :?

Some only come on here to moan :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 am

Duke wrote:1-0 away win only 56 posts. :?

Some only come on here to moan :mrgreen:

Live Blog Out, Save Our Match Forum

:!:

:D

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:32 am

indeed, i've seen better games but don't think it was that awful. Only one of us fell asleep during the game ( we once all fell asleep 8) , i think it was vs Torquay a few seasons ago). Laughed my butt off with Clayton, he's super!!! Great saves in a few minutes time aswell, Deeny and Zaboub were good in 1st half, Bradley worked hard and is my MOTM (even it didn't always worked, what he was trying). Think it was clear that we were gonna win as Leyton really was poor (aswell their fans :? ). Our fans though, I learned a lot of new **********-words and that has a lot to do by sitting only 1 row from Mr Doffer :lol:

Great result, great day out, not a very good game but 3 points and met some of you again, so after all it was worth the trip, even on time for our ferry!!!!
Hope to meet again in MK Dons (not sure at the moment as a lot of us can't join)

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Flemish Saddler wrote:indeed, i've seen better games but don't think it was that awful. Only one of us fell asleep during the game ( we once all fell asleep 8) , i think it was vs Torquay a few seasons ago). Laughed my butt off with Clayton, he's super!!! Great saves in a few minutes time aswell, Deeny and Zaboub were good in 1st half, Bradley worked hard and is my MOTM (even it didn't always worked, what he was trying). Think it was clear that we were gonna win as Leyton really was poor (aswell their fans :? ). Our fans though, I learned a lot of new **********-words and that has a lot to do by sitting only 1 row from Mr Doffer :lol:

Great result, great day out, not a very good game but 3 points and met some of you again, so after all it was worth the trip, even on time for our ferry!!!!
Hope to meet again in MK Dons (not sure at the moment as a lot of us can't join)

When The Flemish Saddlers first started coming to the matches we used lose them all! Things have changed though i think we have won the last four games with them in attendance! :wink: :D

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season