Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:19 pm

[quote="Louise"]Hutch just said - 'I wont accept another performance like this and the Players will be in on Sunday'.[quote]

great words by hutch.at least we know he wont accept that.Mullin would of said well done lads we will have monday off.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:20 pm

scott_powell wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
scott_powell wrote:haha,

now that was funny :lol:

am i the only walsall fan thats finds this scoreline amusing

I think you MUST be the only one. How can any fan find a 5-0 home defeat amusing? The only word I can think of that is appropriate is "embarrassing".

i find it amusing because if i were to describe comical defending, that would be it, it was comical, sign me up!

I felt happier coming away today than last Tuesday - but only because after 5 minutes we never stood a chance, on Tuesday we threw the 3 points away seconds from the end. I know what you are saying... amusing, in a "if you dont laugh you may cry" kind of way. I aint gonna let it ruin my weekend thats for sure.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:22 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

I think you MUST be the only one. How can any fan find a 5-0 home defeat amusing? The only word I can think of that is appropriate is "embarrassing".

i find it amusing because if i were to describe comical defending, that would be it, it was comical, sign me up!

I felt happier coming away today than last Tuesday - but only because after 5 minutes we never stood a chance, on Tuesday we threw the 3 points away seconds from the end. I know what you are saying... amusing, in a "if you dont laugh you may cry" kind of way. I aint gonna let it ruin my weekend thats for sure.

You know what, thats exactly what i said when i went out, we never stood a chance after the third goal went in so i wasnt really bothered, i just laughed off our awful defending, tuesday was really peed off :lol:

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:23 pm

yes :|

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:24 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

not funny in a haha im glad we lost,funny in a oh my god what just happened way

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:26 pm

scott_powell wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

not funny in a haha im glad we lost,funny in a oh my god what just happened way

but u sed haha so it is in a hah way :?

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:28 pm

That was dreadful. Nobody can take credit for their performance today but at least Smith and Deeney tried. I thought Mattis tried to get something going but his midfield partner Hughes was just awful. I said on last weeks match thread and have said before that Weston has cost us goals this season. What was he doing today? He seems to have inherited a bit of Gerrards attitude problem and was just too casual. Gerrard was terrible. I hate to say it but I wonder what the score would have been with Palmer in defence with Weston at centre half? Jabo on that display should be looking for a new club next season because for a striker his goal awareness is shocking. Shroot tried to get something going but no end product. The tactics fell well short of what was required. We were toothless in attack, they passed their way through the midfield and the defence just ball watched. When we did get the ball it seemed as though they didn't know what to do. Zaaboob kept cutting in field leaving Botes on his own with 2 attacking players and when we got the ball there was no left winger because boob was still infield. I would drop Hughes Tuesday and play Taundry, at least he puts himself about. I can't actually remember Bradley touching the ball when he came on. In short that was a bad Mullenesque performance and CH and MoC need to stop the rot. I stll think they are the right men for us but the personel or lack of them means they are limited. roll on next season.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:29 pm

yes but when you laugh people tend to make a sund similar to haha :roll:

read the other post iv put if you dont understand!

might aswell laff it of rather that be depressed like loads of walsall fans will be

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 pm

I can kind of see what he means. Since the game was meaningless in that we are extremely unlikely to go up or down, Im not really angry, just embarressed. Usually when something is embarrassing we try and find the humour or the funny side in it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:16 pm

yoda wrote:I can kind of see what he means. Since the game was meaningless in that we are extremely unlikely to go up or down, Im not really angry, just embarressed. Usually when something is embarrassing we try and find the humour or the funny side in it.

exactly :) , this result isnt going to ruin my weekend like it will some fans

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:31 pm

its the worst weekend of football for a long time. us getting batterd at home to a team we should beat and the dingles winning which i think has nearly got them promoted becuase reading have lost. thats something i never wanted to say

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:34 pm

If there is one positive at least hutchings knows what players he has got to work with,i would tell everyone you have until the end of the season to prove to me you deserve a contract on todays performance that wont be many

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:36 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:its the worst weekend of football for a long time. us getting batterd at home to a team we should beat and the dingles winning which i think has nearly got them promoted becuase reading have lost. thats something i never wanted to say

maybe you should get out more, you seem very depressed :?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 pm

A shocking, fraudalent non performance. Worst I've seen in years. I can accept Tuesday result because it was a fair result overall and a good competitive match. This was totally different non event and the team and the management should hang their heads in shame. This type of performance is happening all too often under Hutch & MOC; First half Swindon. Leicester and now today, something is serouisly wrong in my view.

Gerrard should never wear the shirt again: arrogant useless loser who will end up at Marine is a couple of years. He obviously doesn't want to play for the club, so get rid now. Nobody will buy him, so pay him off now as he is only havng a negative effect staying at the club. Action like that would send a message to the other "passengers" in the team i.e. Hughes, Bradley, Westons and others.

Fans paid hard earned dosh to watch that drivel and deserve much better Tuesday. If a repeat performance Tuesday then Hutch & MOC should have a hard look at themselves as well as the squad.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Asps wrote:A shocking, fraudalent non performance. Worst I've seen in years. I can accept Tuesday result because it was a fair result overall and a good competitive match. This was totally different non event and the team and the management should hang their heads in shame. This type of performance is happening all too often under Hutch & MOC; First half Swindon. Leicester and now today, something is serouisly wrong in my view.

Gerrard should never wear the shirt again: arrogant useless loser who will end up at Marine is a couple of years. He obviously doesn't want to play for the club, so get rid now. Nobody will buy him, so pay him off now as he is only havng a negative effect staying at the club. Action like that would send a message to the other "passengers" in the team i.e. Hughes, Bradley, Westons and others.

Fans paid hard earned dosh to watch that drivel and deserve much better Tuesday. If a repeat performance Tuesday then Hutch & MOC should have a hard look at themselves as well as the squad.

I love you when you are angry... mwah.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:04 pm

this sort of poo (god i hate swear filters) happens occasionally - they were awful (we were lucky to get nil), gutless (apart from Mattis), but think about what Hutchings said in the week - "they are giving their best". I reckon that he's got the measure of the (lack of) quality in the squad and hope he's got the ability to sort them out for next year. Just remember, we'd probably have been 3/4 points above relegation if Arthur Daley was still in charge (instead of 13) and looking at the Div of Death next year. UTS

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 pm

yoda wrote:I can kind of see what he means. Since the game was meaningless in that we are extremely unlikely to go up or down, Im not really angry, just embarressed. Usually when something is embarrassing we try and find the humour or the funny side in it.

The whole season is meaningless. as will be every other season while Jeff Bonser is in charge.

More fool anyone that hasn't realised this yet.

So stop moaning and just enjoy a few pints with your mates.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:

The whole season is meaningless. as will be every other season while Jeff Bonser is in charge.

More fool anyone that hasn't realised this yet.

So stop moaning and just enjoy a few pints with your mates.

he wasnt moaning was he :?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:21 pm

scott_powell wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:its the worst weekend of football for a long time. us getting batterd at home to a team we should beat and the dingles winning which i think has nearly got them promoted becuase reading have lost. thats something i never wanted to say

maybe you should get out more, you seem very depressed :?

im not talking about getting out.im on about the results today

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

You know what, thats exactly what i said when i went out, we never stood a chance after the third goal went in so i wasnt really bothered, i just laughed off our awful defending, tuesday was really peed off :lol:

On reflection, I guess it's always been true that we all need a decent sense of humour to be Walsall fans. It certainly won't be ruining my Saturday night either Scott.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Glad to hear :wink:

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm sure the management know who they want rid of and what they'd like to bring in - the question is will they have the resources to do so?
The Gas have been building a useful squad over the last couple of seasons and have splashed the cash when they've felt it necessary. I think it highly improbable we'll do that.
We could easily have beaten Scunthorpe a couple of weeks ago yet surely today's result and our performance against Crewe proves you can only get so much from a limited - in various ways - squad no matter how good the organisation and motivation is.
I feel it's likely we will have another unremarkable season next year if we continue to almost always shop in the bargain basement.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:32 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:its the worst weekend of football for a long time. us getting batterd at home to a team we should beat and the dingles winning which i think has nearly got them promoted because reading have lost. Thats something I never wanted to say.

Cheer up Matt. Try taking the positives. Although I don't share your anti-Wolves views, I think those that ARE "anti" should probably console themselves now by accepting they will go on to get promoted, and looking forward to next season, when I can only see them having an Albion-esque season, just like last time!

So if you want to be able to laugh at 'em week in week out, you just have to hope they DO get promoted - simple! :D

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:36 pm

People who have been are upset and rightly so. But tomorrow perspective will return.

In another outlandish LS prediction, we'll have another similar margin in our favour either this season or early in the next and I'm convinced Deeney will get 4 of them.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:38 pm

A completly disgusting display from a team that never turned up from the start. We should never have played Gerrard who obviosly didn't want to be there though from that display did any of them?
As for Hutchins giving them a sky rocket after the game Hughes was in the car behind me at 5.10??? I'd have made them walk to the training ground and keep them there till midnight.
Can't belive how bad we were, even worse than the worst days of the Merson era, disgraceful. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Correct not to have a MoM as no-one deserved it.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:39 pm

A man - even older and more white-haired than me - appeared to be ejected from the 64446 Stand about 20 minutes from the end of the game today. Can anyone tell me the reason for this - or have I got things wrong?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:42 pm

mel58 wrote:I'm sure the management know who they want rid of and what they'd like to bring in - the question is will they have the resources to do so?
The Gas have been building a useful squad over the last couple of seasons and have splashed the cash when they've felt it necessary. I think it highly improbable we'll do that.
We could easily have beaten Scunthorpe a couple of weeks ago yet surely today's result and our performance against Crewe proves you can only get so much from a limited - in various ways - squad no matter how good the organisation and motivation is.
I feel it's likely we will have another unremarkable season next year if we continue to almost always shop in the bargain basement.

I think you're right that H & O'C will have sussed out the players by now and will already be formulating some plans for the close-season. But when you look a league above us right now at the teams likely to be coming down from the Championship, I think it's almost impossible to imagine us being able to compete at the top end of League One next season.

At least the results achieved over these last few weeks, since Clown Mullen got the boot and we got a real management team in, have almost certainly assured us that we shall still be in League One in 2009/10. Until he left, I was seriously concerned about a relegation fight, but I'm totally relaxed about that now.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:47 pm

The fact we didn't announce a man of the match says it all. Not that there could have been one!

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:49 pm

well yes i could see positives.Dingles missing a penalty and them gettin promoted.lossing 2-0 every week while we are in the top 2 just behind chalton.that sounds good

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:58 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:well yes i could see positives.Dingles missing a penalty and them gettin promoted.lossing 2-0 every week while we are in the top 2 just behind chalton.that sounds good

What ?? Only losing 2-0 every week ?? I was thinking more in terms of 4 or 5 most weeks, to be honest. :D

I'm a bit sceptical (to say the least) about US being 2nd to Charlton next season though. Have you taken a look at the clubs that are likely to be coming down with 'em next May?

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season