Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Exile wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Crikey i go away for a few days and this happens :shock:

Ok so what were the positives :D

We've had a few days on here without you posting. :wink:

When're you going away, geordie? :wink:

Wednesday, Billingham Synthonia in the league Cup QF.

When was the last time you went away? :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Crikey i go away for a few days and this happens :shock:

Ok so what were the positives :D

We've had a few days on here without you posting. :wink:

When're you going away, geordie? :wink:

Wednesday, Billingham Synthonia in the league Cup QF.

When was the last time you went away? :D

I'll get back to you on that. :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:I can only hope that this is the beginning of the mid-table end-of-season silly season that might see us beat a team four or five in a few weeks time with probably another big reversal to come.

I am still concerned though. Relegation isn't totally out of the question because we could struggle in every game in April and May given that all the teams we are playing are still chasing automatic promotion or the play-offs. If this follows a below par March, then we'll be in the perfectly relegatable 50-55 points range.

55 points isn't "perfectly relegatable". Find me one side that's been relegated from League 1 with more than 52 points. One more win will be plenty to see us safe - and might not even be necessary.

The most number pf points a team from this level has been relegated with since the inception of 3 points for a win is 54. Several others have been relegated with 52 and 53, so its entirely reasonable to see 55 points as the safety line.

I don't think for one minute we will get relegated, but the fact that we are still talking about it with 9 games of the "big push" season remaining is testimony to just how far backwards we have gone in the last 14 months thanks to Bonser's befuddled decision making.

As things stand we require 16 points from 9 games to match what we got last season, and even salvage the achievement of treading water in mid-table. Of course many other aspects of the club have gone backwards during the same period, from the complete lack of success in every cup to the loss of 25-30% of our fanbase.

If this very real decline os to be arrested the board of Walsall FC need to take a long hard look at how they are running things. I doubt they will, because I don't think they have the ability as bsuniness people or football people to do so.

I simply expect yet more whinging about the credit crunch permiated with some nausiating mutual back-slapping and maybe a bit of scaremongering to keep the remaining support on the nipple.

Spot on.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:39 pm

yawn i am splitting my sides geordie. get back out of your backside, stop insulting people and enjoy life. shame you're so bitter

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:So it looks like I was right and this has set a post war record for a home defeat at this level.

I look forward to Cully's detailed analysis based on his obvious superior knowledge of all things Walsall FC.

"W'em alwus bin crud ay wey"? sounds about what I expect.

Self congratulation is a rare and amusing talent and we are lucky to have such an esteemed poster reminding us that he appears to have a copy of Geoff Allmans Walsall almanac at his finger tips to fill in those gaps when he couldn't attend probably due to some poets convention or a meeting of the Whitley Bay Launderette Owners Association. [the last is just a pure guess based on your informed washing machine knowledge that you were so kind to pass onto me a couple of weeks ago]

I have to say that I am disappointed that when a poster with Geordies post war record of pompous posts including his recent unique loyalty based one line sonnet titled:-

'When you've done 8 years without missing a game home or away including 2 successive relegations and a post war record streak of defeats I will continue to believe that I've forgotten more about supporting Walsall FC than you are ever likely to experience'

continues to ignore his fan base and instead posts information gleaned from some obscure booklet on The Complete Playing Record of Walsall FC.

I look forward to more 'football talk' from the man 'who likes to talk football' with his finger on the pulse of Whitley Bay.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Cully wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:So it looks like I was right and this has set a post war record for a home defeat at this level.

I look forward to Cully's detailed analysis based on his obvious superior knowledge of all things Walsall FC.

Self congratulation is a rare and amusing talent and we are lucky to have such an esteemed poster reminding us that he appears to have a copy of Geoff Allmans Walsall almanac at his finger tips to fill in those gaps when he couldn't attend probably due to some poets convention or a meeting of the Whitley Bay Launderette Owners Association. [the last is just a pure guess based on your informed washing machine knowledge that you were so kind to pass onto me a couple of weeks ago]

I have to say that I am disappointed that when a poster with Geordies post war record of pompous posts including his recent unique loyalty based one line sonnet titled:-

'When you've done 8 years without missing a game home or away including 2 successive relegations and a post war record streak of defeats I will continue to believe that I've forgotten more about supporting Walsall FC than you are ever likely to experience'

continues to ignore his fan base and instead posts information gleaned from some obscure booklet on The Complete Playing Record of Walsall FC.

I look forward to more 'football talk' from the man 'who likes to talk football' with his finger on the pulse of Whitley Bay.

In other words I was right again, and Saturday's result was indeed the worst home defeat at this level since the level itself was established in its present form in the late 50's, and not, as you intimated, merely the latest example in a litany of such results stretching back through the ages, to which we should all now be used to and almost expectant of.

Sorry Cully, I'll try and be wrong next time just to make you look good.

Belgian....at least Cully's amusing and original, what's happened to your banter??

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:

In other words I was right again, and Saturday's result was indeed the worst home defeat at this level since the level itself was established in its present form in the late 50's, and not, as you intimated, merely the latest example in a litany of such results stretching back through the ages, to which we should all now be used to and almost expectant of.

Sorry Cully, I'll try and be wrong next time just to make you look good.

Belgian....at least Cully's amusing and original, what's happened to your banter??

Wish we could say the same about you Geordie :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Come on STK, I might not be your cup of lightly peppered bovril when it comes to humour, but originality??

If it wasn't for people like me and Cully and a few others this season would have had absolutely zero entertainment for boring old gurroles like you.

Look at the match threads, 55 posts V Southend? I have more than 55 original thoughts when I'm cleaning my teeth in a morning, and Cully likewise when he's looking for the colourfast cotton setting.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:55 posts V Southend? I have more than 55 original thoughts when I'm cleaning my teeth in a morning, and Cully likewise when he's looking for the colourfast cotton setting.

Some people only come on here to moan about the doorstep challenge. :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:25 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

mmm true. You don't have to sound quite so pleased about it though :? :wink:

Just for once, try not being be so stupid.

Please, just for me.

Me stupid, maybe. For what it's worth I didn't go saturday, but I got absolutely no pleasure out of the fact we got stuffed. I had got a little pleasure out of the team showing a bit more effort, desire, and ability to pass the ball on the floor over the past month. I don't know what happened saturday. 5-0 at home is nothing short of embarrassing , but it is nothing to feel good about as a Walsall fan. I think you are still a Walsall fan despite your issues with the club ?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:03 am

Blazing, I can't believe I'm having to post this, but I got no pleasure out of Walsall getting stuffed on Saturday I was gutted, and gobsmacked when I saw the score.

You are extremely wide of the mark if you think I get any pleasure out of the continued, unchecked demise of Walsall FC.

I don't have any issues with Walsall FC, only the people who run it (into the ground).

We are, in my opinion, on the road to the ruin. Along that way we will have the ocassional superficial upturn, like we did early season under Mullen, and like we did for a few weeks under Hutchings. But the underlying trend is that it is unsustainable.
Some still have the cockles of their heart warmed by a couple of wins, others see it in a different context.

The way this football club is being run we face the very real possibility of some nasty consequences, administration, and relegation are very much on the radar in the next 12 months unless some very drastic changes are undertaken.

Whether you share my views or not, the fact is I've got most things pretty spot on over the last year. This get's right up some peoples' snotters, which is human nature, and I understand that.

Bonser must go Blazing, and its time to stop being afraid of what comes next.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:15 am

Probably just a bit of jumping in to a thread half way through and not getting the whole gist of things then. The bit about your issues with the club was also was an error on my part. I did actually mean the people who run it, or to be more precise Jeff Bonser.

I think you are right, he does have to go now. Some people have wanted him gone for a long time, some have more recently joined in, the fact of the matter is Walsall F.C can't ever move forward with him there now. To many people have took a stance by not going, to many that still go hate his guts, regardless of what he does now, he is on to a loser.

I don't know what is next , the fact that it is in Jeff Bonser's hands is a little worrying, be a great way of flicking the V's on the way out wouldn't it?
It has got to happen sooner or later, and I reckon now is as good a time as ever. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:02 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Probably just a bit of jumping in to a thread half way through and not getting the whole gist of things then. The bit about your issues with the club was also was an error on my part. I did actually mean the people who run it, or to be more precise Jeff Bonser.

I think you are right, he does have to go now. Some people have wanted him gone for a long time, some have more recently joined in, the fact of the matter is Walsall F.C can't ever move forward with him there now. To many people have took a stance by not going, to many that still go hate his guts, regardless of what he does now, he is on to a loser.

I don't know what is next , the fact that it is in Jeff Bonser's hands is a little worrying, be a great way of flicking the V's on the way out wouldn't it?
It has got to happen sooner or later, and I reckon now is as good a time as ever. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Great post saus.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:55 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Probably just a bit of jumping in to a thread half way through and not getting the whole gist of things then. The bit about your issues with the club was also was an error on my part. I did actually mean the people who run it, or to be more precise Jeff Bonser.

Great post saus.

If Uncle Jeff is as big a fan as he makes out, he'll see the club proud
If Uncle Jeff is a penison-lover, he's made his millions by way of his "investment" and should see us proudf
If Uncle Jeff is a right greedy pig, we're screwed.

What's it gonna be, Jeff? Will you prove to be a sinner or a saint?

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:00 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
various posters wrote:

Any chance of looking up some more pointless statistics?

In other words I was right again, and Saturday's result has set a post war record for a home defeat just in case anybody missed it the first time.

Any chance of repeating that?
various posters wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
various posters wrote:

Have you got any information about post war defeats?

In other words I was right again, and Saturday's result was indeed the worst home defeat at this level since the level itself was established in its present form in the late 50's.

Any chance we could have a few Whitley Bay anecdotes?
various posters wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
various posters wrote:
Any chance of some poetry Geordie?

In other words I was right again, and Saturday's result was indeed the worst home defeat at this level since the level itself was established in its present form in the late 50's,

Any chance of actually attending a match Geordie?

We're at home tonight!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:30 am

You seem to be the new board WBFC obsessiove Cully, hardly a post without mentionng it.

Anyway, as a long term reader of this board you should know by now that I don't do requests. :wink:

As for tonight's game, well I kind of sickened myself with this fixture last season when attending the Withdean on a Tuesday night, did you partake?

I found the whole experience less edifying than the 0-7 reverse in '76 that you refered to further up, so Saddler's World for me tonight, plus your expert analysis on the match-thread to look forward to.

Get there early now, and enjoy the game.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:13 am

Exile wrote:

Great post saus.

If Uncle Jeff is a penison-lover, he's made his millions by way of his "investment" and should see us proudf

That's about the size of it. So let us hope he isn't what an awful lot of people claim he is.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Great post saus.

That's about the size of it. So let us hope he isn't what an awful lot of people claim he is.

I don't think people are claiming anything, the facts speak for themselves - it's just some people refuse to see what is blindingly obivious - he's royally screwed this club, and it's fans. Theres nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to suggest he's going to change his ways, or gift the club anything.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:28 pm

You see the problem I have in taking any of your post's seriously , and a few other people who share the same views, is that you have tunnel vision.

Your arguments always ignore anything good that has happened over the last 20 years, and there has been some good, some very good. Of course there has been some dross too, there are a lot of questions that remain unanswered, unanswered by the club, so people go with their own view and take it as gospel.

I don't know one person that has never questioned Bonser in some way or another, it is natural for someone in his position to be questioned about his actions, and one the most annoying things about him for me is his inability to answer questions put forward.

I have a balanced view on the whole situation. I want Walsall to have a future. I am happy for that future to be similar to the last 20 years in an on the pitch sense. What I don't want is WFC to no longer exist. The way forward is without Bonser now, that much is clear, to much water under the bridge, no chance at all of bridges being built. So as I said, let us hope that you have him just a little bit wrong so that when he does let go, we are left with some chance of moving forward.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:You see the problem I have in taking any of your post's seriously , and a few other people who share the same views, is that you have tunnel vision.

Your arguments always ignore anything good that has happened over the last 20 years, and there has been some good, some very good. Of course there has been some dross too, there are a lot of questions that remain unanswered, unanswered by the club, so people go with their own view and take it as gospel.

I don't know one person that has never questioned Bonser in some way or another, it is natural for someone in his position to be questioned about his actions, and one the most annoying things about him for me is his inability to answer questions put forward.

I have a balanced view on the whole situation. I want Walsall to have a future. I am happy for that future to be similar to the last 20 years in an on the pitch sense. What I don't want is WFC to no longer exist. The way forward is without Bonser now, that much is clear, to much water under the bridge, no chance at all of bridges being built. So as I said, let us hope that you have him just a little bit wrong so that when he does let go, we are left with some chance of moving forward.

But you also have tunnel vision, because you refuse to see what could have been.

The facts of the matter are that Jeff Bonser actions have damaged the club.

No one can argue with that.

Of course there have been good times, but the only thing that proves is that Jeff has been able to get away with what he's done. He's been able to benefit financially from the club whilst keeping it ticking over. It's the definition of a cash cow.

Just because that cash cow had a few nice days in the sunny fields doesn't mean that Jeff Bonser hasnt done wrong, because those occasional sunny days in the field could have been permanent.

Just think where this club COULD BE with the money JB has drained out of the club and with the fans that have seen him for what he is and effed off down the years! Just think. It is my opinion that we as a club could be attracting regular crowds of over 8,000 and playing Championship football.

People like you have become used to the mediocre and fail to admit the club would be a lot strong if it werent for Jeffs leadership. We'd be several million quid better off for a start.

Geordie speaks a lot of sense, the club is just 'existing' at the moment, it has no romance, no verve, no ambition. If thats what you like, then fine. But I dont like it. I still go to games because it's a habit. Some people dont have the money or inclination to keep going, and one day everyone including yourself will come to the realisation that Jeff Bonser is responsible. By then, it'll be League 2 football.

You're right when you say that the club cannot move forward now with Jeff at the helm, but if you're expecting him to do the right thing, dont hold your breath, cos nothing suggests he will, he'll sail off in to the sunset with several million quid and leave the club in the hands of his mate Gilman. There wont be a new dawn, it'll just be the same old.

I expect in the next 3 years there will be an announcement made along the lines of "After years of the club being up for sale, board member Peter Gilman has purchased Jeff Bonsers share of the club". The pension fund will be transfered to Gilmans name on the quiet.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:You see the problem I have in taking any of your post's seriously , and a few other people who share the same views, is that you have tunnel vision.

Absolutely right.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:You seem to be the new board WBFC obsessiove Cully, hardly a post without mentionng it.

Anyway, as a long term reader of this board you should know by now that I don't do requests. :wink:

As for tonight's game, well I kind of sickened myself with this fixture last season when attending the Withdean on a Tuesday night, did you partake?

I found the whole experience less edifying than the 0-7 reverse in '76 that you refered to further up, so Saddler's World for me tonight, plus your expert analysis on the match-thread to look forward to.

Get there early now, and enjoy the game.

Alas, I was a stayaway last year when I unexplicably declined an invitation from two of my sons to join them at the game that evening so had to rely on texts and WM. However, I am able to offer this facility if you wish to PM your mobile number before 6.45pm and perhaps you could pass onto the board live updates from the luxury of my plastic seat in the Mullet stand.
Please feel free to embroider my expert comments as you so wish.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:42 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

But you also have tunnel vision, because you refuse to see what could have been.

The facts of the matter are that Jeff Bonser actions have damaged the club.

No one can argue with that.

Of course there have been good times, but the only thing that proves is that Jeff has been able to get away with what he's done. He's been able to benefit financially from the club whilst keeping it ticking over. It's the definition of a cash cow.

Just because that cash cow had a few nice days in the sunny fields doesn't mean that Jeff Bonser hasnt done wrong, because those occasional sunny days in the field could have been permanent.

Just think where this club COULD BE with the money JB has drained out of the club and with the fans that have seen him for what he is and effed off down the years! Just think. It is my opinion that we as a club could be attracting regular crowds of over 8,000 and playing Championship football.

People like you have become used to the mediocre and fail to admit the club would be a lot strong if it werent for Jeffs leadership. We'd be several million quid better off for a start.

Geordie speaks a lot of sense, the club is just 'existing' at the moment, it has no romance, no verve, no ambition. If thats what you like, then fine. But I dont like it. I still go to games because it's a habit. Some people dont have the money or inclination to keep going, and one day everyone including yourself will come to the realisation that Jeff Bonser is responsible. By then, it'll be League 2 football.

You're right when you say that the club cannot move forward now with Jeff at the helm, but if you're expecting him to do the right thing, dont hold your breath, cos nothing suggests he will, he'll sail off in to the sunset with several million quid and leave the club in the hands of his mate Gilman. There wont be a new dawn, it'll just be the same old.

I expect in the next 3 years there will be an announcement made along the lines of "After years of the club being up for sale, board member Peter Gilman has purchased Jeff Bonsers share of the club". The pension fund will be transfered to Gilmans name on the quiet.

Very well summed-up Phil, I have to agree with most of that.

I could easily still be doing the same as you, going out of habit, but I chose to break the habit and I did that successfully (though surprisingly). Now I'm very interested in what's going on and in the results, but it will take a lot to persuade me back on a regular basis, if at all.

None of the good stuff - and yes there has been some of course - can over-ride in my mind the damage that JB has done to Walsall FC and to club/fan relationships over these past 15 months. We could now be up in the Championship but for his capitulation last year, we should at very least have challenged last season and again this season, and no amount of scraping our way back now can make up in my mind for the backwards steps he quite consciously took in January 2008.

When he goes, as he must eventually, I can see me returning, but until then it's most unlikely - and I think I am just one of many.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:14 am

Hello Geoff ! It is another one of those I need to go away and think about. I have had a few drinks tonight and I am tired, but I don't agree with a lot of what Phil says, and what you agree with. Despite what people think, or how I come over in my arguments, I actually do understand the frustration, I want the best for WFC the same as everyone else who has any interest in them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 am

stop moaning and get behind the lads.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 pm

The best for Walsall FC is the day Jeff Bonser resigns or sells. (not to Gilman)

SWS1

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Exile wrote:stop moaning and get behind the lads.

Absolutely.
The lads have come back well to win two on the bounce and to suggest that Brizzle was a blip. :D
Er, like Leicester. :oops:

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season