Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
sandwellsaddler

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:18 pm

saddlerJP wrote:some guy was giving shroot dogs abuse after the game, he came over to defend him self as he should, then a few walsall fans turned on the idot giving the abuse and gave shroot around of applause. Only player that wanted the ball when he came on, rest were hiding

very surprised that no-one has mentioned that some bloke shouted to Weston 'that you am poo' (or words to that effect) from the OAP stand when it was 2-0

Weston's reply was to tell the guy to go copulate with themselves.

or perhaps no who posts on here heard it, if it had been Gerrad who shouted that there would have been a 12 page thread on the main page calling for his head.

Northants Saddler

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:25 pm

I havent felt as bad since that [b]Coventry[/b] debacle a few years back, six goals to 1 I seem to remember with a real fool in goal replacing Walker after his suspension at Millwall. :(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:39 pm

sandwellsaddler wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:some guy was giving shroot dogs abuse after the game, he came over to defend him self as he should, then a few walsall fans turned on the idot giving the abuse and gave shroot around of applause. Only player that wanted the ball when he came on, rest were hiding

very surprised that no-one has mentioned that some bloke shouted to Weston 'that you am poo' (or words to that effect) from the OAP stand when it was 2-0

Weston's reply was to tell the guy to go copulate with themselves.

or perhaps no who posts on here heard it, if it had been Gerrad who shouted that there would have been a 12 page thread on the main page calling for his head.

You're right. As KC has suggested on another thread, far from Gerrard's name giving him a head start, it's more of a weight on his shoulders as far as I can see.

As for Weston shouting something back at a 'fan' abusing him, these things happen. That's about all there is to say, isn't there?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:49 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:As for Weston shouting something back at a 'fan' abusing him, these things happen. That's about all there is to say, isn't there?

To be fair, Weston's got previous with Mullen. The now famous "I heard you the first ****ing time!" upon being given a little impromptu 'coaching' from the touchline by our then 'gaffer'.

Fair play. :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:37 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I don't think it is a disgrace in itslef to lose to Bristol Rovers. They have only lost twice since the new year and score a hell of a lot of goals. Last Tuesday, they went at Hereford from the off and were 2-0 up in half an hour. They simply repeated that against us. Their current form, our lethargy, their attacking capabilities along with our highly culpable defence all combined to give us a total tonking.

I was thinking the same thing myself last night. Completely shocking to lose to them 5-0 (they're not that much better than us) but they didn't look that bad a team to me. Okay, no Leicester or a few of the others near the top, but they had some useful players. Two competent and dominant centre halves (who won virtially everything in the air so why did we constantly try and dink it up to our forwards) and full backs who were reasonably quick and liked to join in the play (their left back played one twos and got into our area ahead of the left midfielder twice to score, which we rarely see Boertien do). Couple that with two good forwards and midfielders in Pipe and Disley and they aren't a bad side. They have 2 or 3 games in hand on teams which, if they win, could put them certainly in the play off picture.

Having said all that, we shouldn't be losing 5-0. We were quite simply dreadful. Can't believe what I witnessed yesterday. Agree with pretty much everything that other have put above about the players' performances and team effort etc. Hopefully they will get a big kick up the behind this week and we'll see a different side on Tuesday. No movement yesterday and no-one surging into the box - we went back to playing hoof football which I thought we'd see leave with Jimmy Muddle. Aimless balls into the channels (particularly when you don't really have any pace in the front two) and onto the heads of their centre halves just give us no hope. Shroot looked like he wanted to show what he could dowhen he came on and definitely should start on Tuesday.

Simply a game to forget.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Good points Jolly Johnny and Bath.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:46 pm

clawtheolder wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Monday 27th December 1965
Manor Ground, Oxford
Oxford United 7 1 Walsall (Scorer:- George Kirby)

Rarely have I ever been so embarrassed at a football match. :( :(

Was that the game Keith Ball done his knee, playing cards on the coach going to the match?

I don't anything about that but Terry Carling was an ever-present in goal, that season.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:09 pm

So it looks like I was right and this has set a post war record for a home defeat at this level.

I look forward to Cully's detailed analysis based on his obvious superior knowledge of all things Walsall FC.

"W'em alwus bin crap ay wey"? sounds about what I expect.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:29 pm

I can only hope that this is the beginning of the mid-table end-of-season silly season that might see us beat a team four or five in a few weeks time with probably another big reversal to come.

I am still concerned though. Relegation isn't totally out of the question because we could struggle in every game in April and May given that all the teams we are playing are still chasing automatic promotion or the play-offs. If this follows a below par March, then we'll be in the perfectly relegatable 50-55 points range.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:
Manor Ground, Oxford

Was that the game Keith Ball done his knee, playing cards on the coach going to the match?

I don't anything about that but Terry Carling was an ever-present in goal, that season.

Yes but do you and Geoff remember Dave Massart scoring all those goals for us. But I seem to recall that was a bit earlier so you probably hadn't even taken your 11+ at that time...............but maybe you had?

White and Red Neck
UTS Regular

Location: "In a Land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields that was the Old South....."

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Mick Kearns was asked if any positives could be taken from that performance? To which he replied "The fact that we didn't concede more goals".
Just about sums up the (mis)match as I saw it.

"Sic Semper Tyrannis"

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:So it looks like I was right and this has set a post war record for a home defeat at this level.

I look forward to Cully's detailed analysis based on his obvious superior knowledge of all things Walsall FC.

"W'em alwus bin crud ay wey"? sounds about what I expect.

mmm true. You don't have to sound quite so pleased about it though :? :wink:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:59 pm

I was also at the 7-1 beating at Oxford and I was far to young to witness that.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:11 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:
Manor Ground, Oxford

Yes but do you and Geoff remember Dave Massart scoring all those goals for us?... but I seem to recall that was a bit earlier so you probably hadn't even taken your 11+ at that time...............but maybe you had?

I will admit to being around at the time of Dave Massart's time with us (1947-48) but, as I was a mere toddler in a push-chair, I can't say that I remember him :mrgreen: . My Dad did tell me a lot about him, in later years, though. My first Saddlers' game was in March 1955 (about 8 months before my 11+). Massart would be 89 now. Does any-one know if he is still alive?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:37 pm

What an embarrassment.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Exile wrote:What an embarrassment.

And I purchased my early bird season ticket for next season on the Friday before the game :roll: Dont i feel :oops:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:29 pm

That was horrific. Weston had an absolute shocker,however he's been one of our best performers over the past few years. Boertien was awful for the first goal,but otherwise i thought was average. Smith did okay, jab worked hard & mattis tried to get things going. Gerrrard was absolutely shocking,hughes was a disgrace, how can any player that's played premier league football only pass backwards and sidewards, have not one ounce of flare or pace and have thr agility of an obese sumo wrestler?. Zaaboub was cack and nicholls not much better. Troy was rubbish today. Ince couldn'y have done much with any of the goals, however the 4th was when it just bobbled over him? His kicking was as per though. Never have i seen such a heartless,rubbish performance. Absolute shite.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Sadders wrote:That was horrific. Weston had an absolute shocker,however he's been one of our best performers over the past few years. Boertien was awful for the first goal,but otherwise i thought was average. Smith did okay, jab worked hard & mattis tried to get things going. Gerrrard was absolutely shocking,hughes was a disgrace, how can any player that's played premier league football only pass backwards and sidewards, have not one ounce of flare or pace and have thr agility of an obese sumo wrestler?. Zaaboub was cack and nicholls not much better. Troy was rubbish today. Ince couldn'y have done much with any of the goals, however the 4th was when it just bobbled over him? His kicking was as per though. Never have i seen such a heartless,rubbish performance. Absolute guano.

Ah, but this thread has seen the return of some long-lost posters to the match forum - so, every cloud... and all that. :wink:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Ince - Had no realistic chance with any of the goals, but pulled off a few good stops.

Weston - Poor throughout. Looked very uncomfortable back at rightback
Gerrard - Not the return he would have wanted. Poor game from him.
Smith - Despite his recent form, both him and Gerrard were poor.
Boertien - Shakey start, but my MOTM. He was cool and calm in possession and did his best against a dangerour Pipe.

Nicholls - Winger is just not his position. Out of his depth again
Mattis - Both him and Hughes were non-existant most the match, which realy let us down
Hughes - Same as Mattis
Zaaboub - Kept trying, but my main criticism is he cuts inside to often making it easy to disposses him. His patch of form is slowly dissapearing. If he went down the wing, like a winger should, he'd play alot better

Jabo - Starved of the ball all day, never got into the match
Deeney - Same as Jabo

SUBS
Shroot - Poor from him. Offered nothing, attempted a few runs, but like Zaaboub cut inside too often which you just can not do when on the wing.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:
Manor Ground, Oxford

Pedagogue is right - Carling was an ever present in 1965/66 - not only in the league but also in cup competitions.

After re-signing for us in May '65, Keith Ball played no League games in that 65/66 season. He became a regular in March 1967 through to November '67, in between spells by Bob Wesson between the sticks.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:So it looks like I was right and this has set a post war record for a home defeat at this level.

"W'em alwus bin crud ay wey"? sounds about what I expect.

mmm true. You don't have to sound quite so pleased about it though :? :wink:

Just for once, try not being be so stupid.

Please, just for me.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:54 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:
Manor Ground, Oxford

Yes but do you and Geoff remember Dave Massart scoring all those goals for us. But I seem to recall that was a bit earlier so you probably hadn't even taken your 11+ at that time...............but maybe you had?

Sadly mate, Dave Massart is just a name (albeit a high-scoring one) in my Saddlers "Bible" - scoring 23 times in a short Walsall "career", having joined us from B'ham in June 1947 and left for Bury in March 1948. I entered this earth on 13th December 1949, and I remember my dad telling me about his (and others') scoring exploits before I first started to go to Walsall games around 1957-58.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:03 am

I was shocked to hear the result on Saturday afternoon and having read the reports I am very glad that uncle Jeff had persuaded me to go and watch England thrash France in the rugby instead. Thanks Jeff!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 am

Jorge14 wrote:I can only hope that this is the beginning of the mid-table end-of-season silly season that might see us beat a team four or five in a few weeks time with probably another big reversal to come.

I am still concerned though. Relegation isn't totally out of the question because we could struggle in every game in April and May given that all the teams we are playing are still chasing automatic promotion or the play-offs. If this follows a below par March, then we'll be in the perfectly relegatable 50-55 points range.

55 points isn't "perfectly relegatable". Find me one side that's been relegated from League 1 with more than 52 points. One more win will be plenty to see us safe - and might not even be necessary.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 pm

The season was over for me as soon as Ricketts got himself sent off, the moron, so this game, and last Tuesdays were really irrelevant.

Still, shame to see such a gutless performance from the lads. Hughes was absolutely shocking, nearly every 2nd touch he had was a tackle, thats how bad he was.

We had no movement, anywhere on the field, no one would move in to space, no one would make any runs.

Weston and Jabo had their worst performances in Walsall shirts, both contributed absolutely zilch. Jabo seems to have given up for the season.

To me, the whole team performance looked like they'd received their annual contract renewal letter from Jeffery before kick off.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:18 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Ince - Had no realistic chance with any of the goals, but pulled off a few good stops.

Weston - Poor throughout. Looked very uncomfortable back at rightback
Gerrard - Not the return he would have wanted. Poor game from him.
Smith - Despite his recent form, both him and Gerrard were poor.
Boertien - Shakey start, but my MOTM. He was cool and calm in possession and did his best against a dangerour Pipe.

Nicholls - Winger is just not his position. Out of his depth again
Mattis - Both him and Hughes were non-existant most the match, which realy let us down
Hughes - Same as Mattis
Zaaboub - Kept trying, but my main criticism is he cuts inside to often making it easy to disposses him. His patch of form is slowly dissapearing. If he went down the wing, like a winger should, he'd play alot better

Jabo - Starved of the ball all day, never got into the match
Deeney - Same as Jabo

SUBS
Shroot - Poor from him. Offered nothing, attempted a few runs, but like Zaaboub cut inside too often which you just can not do when on the wing.

some of those i do not agree with.
Shroot came on and tried.he didnt have a chance to show us what he can do.he played the ball well at times and we need to give him time to fit in.
mattis has a ok game.Not to his usual standard but he was not as bad as you made him sound.
Smith was ok.he has 3 clowns at the back with him.you cant defend a team on your own.
boetain was rubbish.i expect alot more from an experianced left back.he is to left footed.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Crikey i go away for a few days and this happens :shock:

Ok so what were the positives :D

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:I can only hope that this is the beginning of the mid-table end-of-season silly season that might see us beat a team four or five in a few weeks time with probably another big reversal to come.

55 points isn't "perfectly relegatable". Find me one side that's been relegated from League 1 with more than 52 points. One more win will be plenty to see us safe - and might not even be necessary.

The most number pf points a team from this level has been relegated with since the inception of 3 points for a win is 54. Several others have been relegated with 52 and 53, so its entirely reasonable to see 55 points as the safety line.

I don't think for one minute we will get relegated, but the fact that we are still talking about it with 9 games of the "big push" season remaining is testimony to just how far backwards we have gone in the last 14 months thanks to Bonser's befuddled decision making.

As things stand we require 16 points from 9 games to match what we got last season, and even salvage the achievement of treading water in mid-table. Of course many other aspects of the club have gone backwards during the same period, from the complete lack of success in every cup to the loss of 25-30% of our fanbase.

If this very real decline os to be arrested the board of Walsall FC need to take a long hard look at how they are running things. I doubt they will, because I don't think they have the ability as bsuniness people or football people to do so.

I simply expect yet more whinging about the credit crunch permiated with some nausiating mutual back-slapping and maybe a bit of scaremongering to keep the remaining support on the nipple.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:13 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Crikey i go away for a few days and this happens :shock:

We've had a few days on here without you posting. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Crikey i go away for a few days and this happens :shock:

We've had a few days on here without you posting. :wink:

When're you going away, geordie? :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season