Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/3/09.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Legally, can we ask for our entrance fee back? That conglomoration of 'players' were neither fit for purpose nor was the game of merchanable quality.

But hey ho! that's Walsall. Hi ho silver lining. Where's the last bit of LSD gone. Whey hey............................

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:11 pm

caldy wrote:Shroot tried to get something going but no end product.

To be fair to him, I thought he showed plenty and looked a skilful player, but had little in the way of options. He stood out a mile for me.

Anyone know what happened at the end when he came over to the F2G ?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:16 pm

The wolves will get pasted in the premier league, FACT :D

As i said before we will win on tuesday, and we will of forgotten about this drubbing.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:31 pm

i was down in bristol today and caught the 1st goal on the radio but when i tuned in later and found it was 5-0 i was shocked .. how can we be that bad at home against a team i would expect us to beat

Adj

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:38 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:well yes i could see positives.Dingles missing a penalty and them gettin promoted.lossing 2-0 every week while we are in the top 2 just behind chalton.that sounds good

What ?? Only losing 2-0 every week ?? I was thinking more in terms of 4 or 5 most weeks, to be honest. :D

I'm a bit sceptical (to say the least) about US being 2nd to Charlton next season though. Have you taken a look at the clubs that are likely to be coming down with 'em next May?

ok maybe yours in more realistic.

ye i have seen them but with CH and MoC in charge we will be much better than that load of rubbish

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Terrible. We were totally and utterly over-run. Both full-backs had a 'mare. Sluggish in the extreme. For me, very few players put in a performance even vaguely acceptable. Mattis worked throughout, Zaaboub tried hard to unlock something, and Shroot ran lots looking for options that weren't there. Deeney looks tired, Smith and Gerrard looked uncertain and unsure, Ibehre wasn't great, ditto Hughes.

I wonder what Mr Ricketts' thoughts on our performance were. We could have done with him, no doubt.

No real villain today. We looked like a team that had all gone out for a big Friday night on Broad Street.

Glad Hutch wasn't impressed. I'm sure the players will be feeling rotten about it too. Banish the demons on Tuesday, boys.

chase saddler

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:50 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:An absolute disgrace. I can take losing but what I can't take is my team rolling over and just letting it happen. If it wasn't for Ince, it could quite easily have been 10 or more. For me, the only players to come out of game with any sort of credit are Ince for keeping the score vaguely respectable and Smith, who showed a commitment sadly lacking throughout the rest of the team.
The lack of impact of the players from the bench just goes to show how much work there is to be done come the summer.

I quite like Smith and think he has come on well over the last few weeks, but today he was dreadful, he operated at one speed, slow. He couldn't clear a ball, he was only heading upwards, and he nearly got caught out with a couple of very sloppy back passes. I don't think Weston or Gerrard looked fit and Boertien had a bit of a mare. For me Mattis was the best of a poor bunch today. Hopefully today was a blip, and to all those who are shouting for Palmer to come back, get a grip. Strange to say, I think we miss Ricketts.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:51 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
yoda wrote:I can kind of see what he means. Since the game was meaningless in that we are extremely unlikely to go up or down, Im not really angry, just embarressed. Usually when something is embarrassing we try and find the humour or the funny side in it.

The whole season is meaningless. as will be every other season while Jeff Bonser is in charge.

More fool anyone that hasn't realised this yet.

So stop moaning and just enjoy a few pints with your mates.

he wasnt moaning was he :?

Nah, just embarrassed to be a Walsall fan, which is obviously far better and more acceptable.

The new management's achievements have been won 4 drawn 5 lost 4. Utterly mid-table continued dross, containing the odd great result, the odd really bad one, and much mediocrity. In other words nothing whatsoever to write home about or pin any hope that it is getting better.

Still dream on.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Started angry and shouting then turned to just taking the pee. Everytime (twice?) we had anything vaguely approaching a shot we jumped up and down like we'd scored a corker. And the "You're not singing anymore" was just SO old skool Walsall fans.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:30 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
yoda wrote:I can kind of see what he means. Since the game was meaningless in that we are extremely unlikely to go up or down, Im not really angry, just embarressed. Usually when something is embarrassing we try and find the humour or the funny side in it.

The whole season is meaningless. as will be every other season while Jeff Bonser is in charge.

More fool anyone that hasn't realised this yet.

So stop moaning and just enjoy a few pints with your mates.

he wasnt moaning was he :?

Nah, just embarrassed to be a Walsall fan, which is obviously far better and more acceptable.

The new management's achievements have been won 4 drawn 5 lost 4. Utterly mid-table continued dross, containing the odd great result, the odd really bad one, and much mediocrity. In other words nothing whatsoever to write home about or pin any hope that it is getting better.

Still dream on.

Come now Mr Geordie, Im a big fan of yours so I hope your not implying Im embarrassed to be a Walsall fan? Embarrassed about the result but not quite breaking out the Liverpool shirt yet.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Louise wrote:Hutch just said - 'I wont accept another performance like this and the Players will be in on Sunday'.

Exactly what I wanted to hear .

Might as well give them the weekend off. They didn't turn up Saturday did they.

SWS1

Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:23 pm

I was there when we got beat 7 - 1 by Oxford Utd :oops:
I was also there when we beat Southport 8 - 0 :D
Whatever happened to those teams? :mrgreen:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Absolute DISGRACEFUL result.
Thing is, nothing will change as long as Bonser is in charge.
Well except for attendances going down, the football club going down etc etc.
But nevermind the people who attend are still smiling and blaming the stay aways.
IDIOTS!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:02 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Absolute DISGRACEFUL result.
But nevermind the people who attend are still smiling and blaming the stay aways.
IDIOTS!

Ay no happy clapping any more though :wink:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:41 am

Asps wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Absolute DISGRACEFUL result.
IDIOTS!

Ay no happy clapping any more though :wink:

We can't blame the stayaways. Under Hutchings we are well organised, every player knows their job, and above all else hard to beat,
We are no longer unorganised, clueless players and soft touches as we were under Mullen.
And we dont give away last second goals since Mullen left either.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:37 am

Ooooooh no we're really well organised now.

We never lost 7-1 to Oxford it was 5-1

7-0 to Chelsea.

Anyone who was paid to be associated with Walsall FC today should be ashamed. That's including the gatemen and the tea lady.

Getting beat 5-0 at home off them, below us in the league total disgrace.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:34 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:We never lost 7-1 to Oxford, it was 5-1

... errr, sorry, Geordie, but...

Monday 27th December 1965
Manor Ground, Oxford
Oxford United 7 1 Walsall (Scorer:- George Kirby)

I know - I was there. Rarely have I ever been so embarrassed at a football match. :( :(

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:39 am

Pedagogue wrote:

Manor Ground, Oxford

I know - I was there. Rarely have I ever been so embarrassed at a football match. :( :(

2 other occassions being Coventry at home 1-6 and yesterday I suspect.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:55 am

Pedagogue wrote:

Manor Ground, Oxford

I assume the good old days Geordie was refering to were the 1980's ie the boxing day match in 1988 and not forgetting Bolton away 8 1 in the glorious year of our lord 1983. For those of us whose history, loyalty and good old days extend beyond such youthful experiences and embrace the glorious 60's and 70's I'll always remember the 7 0 at Brighton and a 6 2 defeat at Grimsby.

For information regarding the 50's and prior I'm sure Pedagogue can enlighten us, rumour has it Walsall's good old days stretch back into the previous century when we were only a mediocre team, before blame was invented and nobody never ever moaned.

Nusquam umquam changes

Q.E.D.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 am

Pedagogue wrote:

Manor Ground, Oxford

1965 .. a lifetime ago pedagogue :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:46 am

you all wanted Palmer out os the side , and this happens.

:D only kidding.

No need to get out knickers in a twist , it was Bristols day no ours it happens .
The same thing happend at Liverpool at Old Trafford.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:55 am

Pedagog I was referring to home defeats. As Cully expoused we could talk all day about losing 8-1 here, 7-0 there AWAY, was at both of those games oh Cully you little oracle.

Come on then board historians, when was the last time we lost by this margine AT HOME and AT THIS LEVEL.

I think we will find that Cully's intimation that this is just another in a long tradition of muchness is (as is most things that he posts on the rare occasions he posts anything about Walsall FC) just a complete load of inacurate tosh.

The 1-5 against oxford, 0-7 against Chelsea, 1-6 against Cov, and 0-6 against Newcastle were all at the level above.

I await the news, and fear this might actually be our heaviest defeat ever at home at this level.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:26 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:Pedagog I was referring to home defeats. As Cully expoused we could talk all day about losing 8-1 here, 7-0 there AWAY, was at both of those games oh Cully you little oracle.

Come on then board historians, when was the last time we lost by this margine AT HOME and AT THIS LEVEL.

I think we will find that Cully's intimation that this is just another in a long tradition of muchness is (as is most things that he posts on the rare occasions he posts anything about Walsall FC) just a complete load of inacurate tosh.

The 1-5 against oxford, 0-7 against Chelsea, 1-6 against Cov, and 0-6 against Newcastle were all at the level above.

I await the news, and fear this might actually be our heaviest defeat ever at home at this level.

Didn't Whitley beey beat us 13-1 once?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:29 am

Pedagogue wrote:

Manor Ground, Oxford

Was that the game Keith Ball done his knee playing cards on the coach going to the match.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 am

some guy was giving shroot dogs abuse after the game, he came over to defend him self as he should, then a few walsall fans turned on the idot giving the abuse and gave shroot around of applause. Only player that wanted the ball when he came on, rest were hiding

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:11 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Pedagog I was referring to home defeats. As Cully expoused we could talk all day about losing 8-1 here, 7-0 there AWAY, was at both of those games oh Cully you little oracle.

No I think you'll find that's 2012/13 season. :D

I've had a quick look through the history books, and can't find a heavier home league defeat at this level since the reorganisation of the leagues in the late 50's. So quite possibly another bit of Walsall FC history for Bonser to wax lyrical about when he's power-boating round the Aegean.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:50 pm

I don't think it is a disgrace in itslef to lose to Bristol Rovers. They have only lost twice since the new year and score a hell of a lot of goals. Last Tuesday, they went at Hereford from the off and were 2-0 up in half an hour. They simply repeated that against us. Their current form, our lethargy, their attacking capabilities along with our highly culpable defence all combined to give us a total tonking.

That said, I cannot remember such a home defeat at this level in my lifetime. In fact, the last comparable home defeat was losing 8-2 at home to Bristol City in Feb 1938. I have poured over the record books, and that is the heaviest home defeat we have suffered AT THIS LEVEL since yesterday. I know it is by 6 clear goals [we did lose 5-1 at home to someone in the early 50's], but there you go. The last similar Division 3 level home defeat was 4-0 to Plymouth in 1974 - a Sunday fixture if I remember rightly.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

No I think you'll find that's 2012/13 season. :D

I've had a quick look through the history books, and can't find a heavier home league defeat at this level since the reorganisation of the leagues in the late 50's. So quite possibly another bit of Walsall FC history for Bonser to wax lyrical about when he's power-boating round the Aegean.

I've had a good look all the way back to 1888/89, including Pedagogue's first home game which we lost 6-1 to Small Heath on 24th October 1896 (Div 2). We'd also lost 5-0 at home to Burslem PV on 9th September 1893 (Div 2), and 6-1 to Crewe Alexandra on 29th November 1890 (Football Alliance). I haven't spotted anything worse than those except as already mentioned, and as Geordie quite rightly points out, those games were at a higher level.

So all in all, our players should hang their heads in shame and embarrassment today, and be determined that this kind of thing does NOT happen again. Brighton's 5-0 win yesterday is a bit of a worry, but how often is a big win followed by a game where you can't hit a cow's backside with a banjo? Now let's put it all down to a horrible experience and get back on track on Tuesday

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:07 pm

My first ever Walsall game finished Walsall 1-5 Chelsea .

At least we scored that day :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 pm

That really was the worst 'team' performance I have ever seen.
Ironically, I was delighted to see the line-up before the game, with a proper back four in place. Little did I know at the time what I was likely to see from them in the 90 minutes that followed.
My assessment of each player is as follows.
Ince - what can you say about him really? Conceded 5, but had very little chance to stop any of them. Actually, it may well have been 6 or 7 had he not pulled off a couple of good saves.

Weston - An absolute embarassment. As one of our more consistent players and a player who I have really enjoyed watching over the past couple of seasons, that just wasn't good enough. He looked sluggish, was second to every ball and his distribution until the final 20 minutes or so was dire.
Gerrard & Smith - I've coupled them together because the manner in which we conceded at least 3 of the goals was solely due to their poor positioning and organisation. People will say 'at least Smith tried' whilst slating transfer-listed Gerrard, but the truth is, there was nothing to choose between either of them. They were both abysmal.
Boertein - The pick of a really really bad back four. Looked to get his foot on the ball and supply Zaaboub. Unfortunetely, our weakness in midfield combined with their right winger David Pipe looking like a class act meant that Boertein was outnumbered and generally given the run around when he didn't have the ball.

Nicholls - not good enough. Every week, I struggle to answer the question of whether or not he's good enough. On the face of things though, he provides one good cross or pass about every 3 games. That's not good enough. Saying he's being played out of position is fine, but he does little to convince me that it's worth giving him a game up front either.
Mattis - tried to get his foot on the ball and get things going on the few ocassions we actually saw any possession. My man of the match, but that's not saying a great deal.
Hughes - just far too slow. Tried to keep the ball, but being overrun time and time again isn't good enough. He should be one of the better players in League One, but looked out of place yesterday.
Zaaboub - offered himself for the ball more often than most, but over compicated things far too often once it was obvious we were on a hiding to nothing.

Jabo - won nothing in the air and didn't hold the ball up. Given that the latter is his main strength, that left him contributing next to nothing.
Deeney - pretty much the same as Jabo. Made a couple of decent challenges to get the fans going at times, but if we're honest, he doesn't have the quality to lift a game, particularly when we don't create any chances for him.

Shroot - MUST play on Tuesday. Whilst the game may have been a foregone conclusion when he came on, he at least looked to attack with purpose and lift the game. I liked his character yesterday in the way he just wanted to be involved all the time. I don't think it was any coincidence that Weston's performance lifted a little when Shroot came on - suddenly Weston had someone who wanted the ball playing in front of him.

Generally, I don't like posts which slate each and every player when we lose. That however, was a complete write-off. I didn't hear Hutchings' interview, but I'm pleased to hear that he's bringing the players in for extra training today. If he's got any sense, he'll have Ricketts in too - after all, it was his fault that he couldn't contribute anything yesterday.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season