Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) League 1 Saturday 7/3/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Southend United (A) League 1 Saturday 7/3/09.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Liking that.

Options on the bench too.

Glitterati

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Don't forget to join in the live blog - http://www.upthesaddlers.com/

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:16 pm

Oh crud, its ging to be a long 75 minutes

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:16 pm

ricketts sent off again .. not good!!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Bugger. He needs to sort this out, is that his second for violent conduct?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:46 pm

We made it to half time at least.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Just spoke to Percie at the game, he reckons it was a joke of a sending off. bloody rob styles.

1-0 down now, typical ex walsall player scores.

Need to draw else unfortunately the play off dream is over.

(I think it was always a dream anyway tbh..)

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Jabo on for Zaaboub

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:32 pm

loads of people are telling me that Styles is 'cheating' atm. One of the worst refereeing performances for years against us apparently...

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:54 pm

I have come to the conclusion that as far as match predicting goes I am a pile of gash :evil:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:54 pm

Scores that is :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:44 pm

I will view the tv coverage of the Ricketts incident with interest. This is his 3rd dismissal, for violent conduct, and Mick Kearns said that it warranted a caution, only. The commentator and Chris Hutchings were both less generous towards Ricketts, having no complaints against the sending-off. Indeed, Hutchings said that MR should have known better.

The fact remains that Ricketts is one of our most (THE most?) gifted and experienced players, a full international, the team vice-captain, and one to whom the younger players should look for a good example. Despite this, his disciplinary record will soon be worse than John Keister's (now, there WAS a thug). So what does Ricketts do, right in front of one of the most card-happy referees in the league? We will now lose his services for 5 games unless he wins an appeal (unlikely) or the F.A. "throw the book at him". At least this will enable Nicholls to move into the middle and allow Shroot to come in on the wing.

Ricketts is an idiot and I hope that Hutchings fines him heavily.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:17 pm

Well that dan wheeler fella i think it was said that Ricketts is a disgrace to his profession but Kearns said it wasnt that bad so i would have to see it before i pass further comment on that,but all in all i am really disapointed with it today we were up against it after 15 minutes especially upfront wise and i heard weston had a shocker to.

Adj

White and Red Neck
UTS Regular

Location: "In a Land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields that was the Old South....."

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:47 pm

"We must expect reverses,even defeats. They are sent to teach us wisdom"
Gen. Robert E. Lee

"Sic Semper Tyrannis"

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:57 pm

Ince 7

Palmer 6
Weston 6
Smith 6
Boertien 6

Nicholls 5
Mattis 6
Hughes 6
Zaboub 6

Deeney 6
Ricketts 0

Jabo 5
Shroot looked useful in last 5 mins

Game ruined by Ricketts / Styles ( reserve judgement as to which one till i see it again , but wasnt expecting to see the red come out . He might have got it right as Ricketts can be an idiot , but Styles loves being centre of attention and seems like an A1 prat .)

We never got going , but not surprising . Frustrating thing is that Southend looked very ordinary indeed until they scored , and at 11 v 11 i did fancy us , but Deeney on his own up front was too much to ask . Zaboub was looking lively , but obviously had to defend more once we were down to ten.

Non event really , and a bizarre £21.55 to get in .

Nice drop of Guiness in the pub near the ground (something and Boar?) was the only plus point . Oh , and Shroots of promise in the last 5

Disappointing day

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:06 pm

MILO5 wrote:
and a bizarre £21.55 to get in .

Thats cockney clubs for ya.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Those of you that think the sun shines out of Michael Ricketts backside got your answer today. Yet another act of childish petulance and a third red card has ended any outside chance of a play off hope that we may have had.

The guy is a gifted footballer but is 'blessed' with the brain the size of a peanut. Today he saw one of his teammates clearly fouled in the centre circle, which Styles ignored, and proceeded to seek revenge by kicking out at the player and knocking him to the floor. As much as I dislike Styles I'd say he got that one right, a right straight red card.

Not a very good game. We had one good chance in the first half that Deeney blasted over and only one shot ( way off target) in the second. They were average but had the excellent Grant in the centre of midfield and he was the difference. We defended manfully but we were never going to last. Even Betsy looked decent but against the hapless one footed Boertien, even I would fancy my chances against him.

Promotion prospects over. Time to begin clearing out the dead wood, including the injury prone, prima donna Ricketts, peg leg Boertien and Hoof Palmer.

Positives are that Shroot looks like a proper footballer in the Gary O'Neill mould.
Last edited by OldPenkSaddler on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Disappointing result, in a match where 11 players would have done better than 10 did. :(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:09 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Those of you that think the sun shines out of Michael Ricketts backside got your answer today. Yet another act of childish petulance and a third red card has ended any outside chance of a play off hope that we may have had.

The guy is a gifted footballer but is 'blessed' with the brain the size of a peanut. Today he saw one of his teammates clearly fouled in the centre circle, which Styles ignored, and proceeded to seek revenge by kicking out at the player and knocking him to the floor. As much as I dislike Styles I'd say he got that one right, a right straight red card.

Not a very good game. We had one good chance in the first half that Deeney blasted over and only one shot ( way off target) in the second. They were average but had the excellent Grant in the centre of midfield and he was the difference. We defended manfully but we were never going to last. Even Betsy looked decent but against the hapless one footed Boertien, even I would fancy my chances against him.

Promotion prospects over. Time to begin clearing out the dead wood, including the injury prone, prima donna Ricketts, peg leg Boertien and Hoof Palmer.

Positives are that Shroot looks like a proper footballer in the Gary O'Neill mould.

Firstly, ta for the report. As I wasn't there, it's useful to hear about the Ricketts incident from someone who was.

I do take issue with some of your points though, particularly the way you comment on Boertein. His return to the side has benefitted us as much as any other change to the team since the Hutchings/O'Connor takeover. Whilst he may well have had a bad game today, to rashly say we should get rid of him at the end of the season is a bit over the top in my view.
Palmer has been consistently poor since we signed him, so I'll agree with you there.

With regard to Michael Ricketts, we all know that he's a top player. With that ability however comes a certain level of baggage. That's why he's playing in League One. Other players may suffer from a lack of consistency or a liability to injury, but the thing holding Ricketts back is his attitude.
Ricketts will always be worth his place in the side when he's available. And for me, he's available enough for us to not only keep him, but to build a side around him. What happened today was rash and contributed to a very poor disciplinary record for the season. Would we be any higher in the league table without him though? I don't think so.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:22 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Ricketts will always be worth his place in the side when he's available. And for me, he's available enough for us to not only keep him, but to build a side around him. What happened today was rash and contributed to a very poor disciplinary record for the season. Would we be any higher in the league table without him though? I don't think so.

Not that I'm a fan of them, but a few random statistics:

League games played this season -24 ( inc 2 as sub) Total by club 35 - so played approx 2/3rds of games

Points scored when playing - 32 Average 1.33 per game
Points scored when not playing - 15 Average 1.36 per game.

4 yellow cards
3 red cards

Fortunately only three opinions matter, Hutchings, MOC and JB. I doubt he'll be here next season somehow as it'll be a chance for another signing on fee elsewhere.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 am

very disappointing result , the sending off didn't help .

3 home games on the bounce nothing else but 9 points will do.

The fat lady ain't singing just yet :wink:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:57 pm

I said at the start of the season that signing Ricketts was a mistake, and yet again im proved right.

Bonser spoiled any chance of the play offs, but the 5% chance we DID have, has now dissapeared thanks to the big head with the massive chip on his shoulder

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:38 pm

having seen it again , as much as i'd like to slate Styles , it was a red as he raised an arm .

you just cant do that , and Ricketts is supposed to be a senior pro .

3 reds in 3/4 of a season is a total joke, especially from a striker - from a defender as the last man / hand ball on the line etc maybe i could forgive , but not just petty idiotic sendings off

the ( non )reaction of our players spoke volumes - no protests , and just a few shakes of the head ( notably Clayton ) - you could say at Styles , but more likely at our own brain dead centre forward for making them endure 80 mins with ten men. the revival has been built around team work and playing for each other - shame Ricketts hasnt got a sense of responsibilty to this cause.

if i was Hutchings i would say one more breach of discipline and you can find another club , which , given his poor reputation attitude wise could well be in League 2 as he is the wrong side of 30 .

on a more positive note , overheard Jabo talking to some fans at half time, saying that Weston had picked up a back problem by half time ( may explain his non leap for the 2nd goal ) , so full marks for staying on and battling through

dler

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:01 pm

swiftyboy wrote:I said at the start of the season that signing Ricketts was a mistake, and yet again im proved right.

Bonser spoiled any chance of the play offs, but the 5% chance we DID have, has now dissapeared thanks to the big head with the massive chip on his shoulder

You must be gutted that he's our leading scorer this season. Just imagine, we'd be in the top six without his goals. :roll:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:25 am

swiftyboy wrote:I said at the start of the season that signing Ricketts was a mistake, and yet again im proved right.

Proved right? Are you joking? If anything, you're proved wrong. Ok he has had 3 red cards (I admit that is bad by anyones standards), but without his goals we'd be in a relegation dog fight right about now

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:

Proved right? Are you joking? If anything, you're proved wrong. Ok he has had 3 red cards (I admit that is bad by anyones standards), but without his goals we'd be in a relegation dog fight right about now

Ah, but we'd have signed Fernando Torres if we hadn't been lumbered with Ricketts.
:wink:

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season