Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) League 1 Tuesday 3/3/9.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
SWS1

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) League 1 Tuesday 3/3/9.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:35 pm

Deeney to be put out!

Because he's on fire!!!
:lol:
Great result.
Great fighting spirit!
:D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Superb second half performance on a night of atrocious weather. Thankfully the away end was sheltered from it! Both teams seemed to find it harder playing with the wind than against it.
Two world class saves from Joe Murphy plus several other really good ones & the woodwork kept them in it. On another occasion Deeney would have had a hat-trick. Oustanding finish for the equaliser...I must admit I thought it was going over.
Listening to Radio Humberside on the way home their conclusion was that we should feel really disappointed to be going home with only a point... a sentiment echoed by their fans ringing up the phone-in. For various reasons that was the first game I had been to since Leeds & whereas then I was despairing, now I feel really encouraged. There does seem a future ,IF (& I know it's a big IF) the management are given the right sort of backing... then next season will be one that we can feel optimistic about.
WELL DONE!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Good report Hull, agree that there is reason for optimism and massive credit must go to Hutchings and MoC. it remains to be seen if recent progress can be mainatained within the restrictions they have to work with (no comment). But totally agree with the well done sentiments to the players and management. No way would we have come from behind to grab a point at Scunny a under Muddle

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Great point, really happy with that. Well done the lads.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 pm

It's a very good point, but unfortunately for me that ends our play off aspirations. We literally need to win every game bar 2/3 to stand any chance. It's a shame we wasted 4 months of the season.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:38 am

First half was poor from both teams. I think both teams struggled with the conditions.

Second half livened up. It could have gone either way. A tap in saw Scunny take the lead then a master class of a goal saw Deeney equalise. From the equaliser we could have easily won but Murphy was in fine form.

Walsall's man of the match, Manny Smith, superb again at the back.
Closely followed by Troy Deeney.

I'd say a point was fair, it could have easily gone either way. A point away from home is a good result any day especially considering the difficult conditions.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 am

Great point tonight - and disappointed we didn't come away with a win. Joe Murphy's three second half saves kept Scunny in the game - I thought the best one was where he got down to his left to block a great downwards headerthat had already hit the deck on its way into the net.

First half - we didn't show too much and created few chances; in the second we seemed to set ourselves up narrower but still had the option of playing out to the wings when the opportunity arose. It's good to have a management team who can alter the style of play to both counter the opposition and increase our attacking options. After they took the lead we had our best period of the match. As already remarked, Deeney's goal was a very classy finish - his celebration hinted that he knew that much himself. Good luck to the kid - if he keeps this up he won't be with us too long and certainly won't be looking to go back on the trowel!

Smith again did well, sticking to his task against clever opponents.

All in all, a continuation of our improved form, a real test against good opponents. Reflecting on how they battered us at Bescot in the FA Cup you can see how much the team's improved. They seem very 'together' on the pitch - having a go at each other from time to time, but in an effort to improve the performance of the team not to slag each other off or to allocate blame.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:14 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:It's a very good point, but unfortunately for me that ends our play off aspirations. We literally need to win every game bar 2/3 to stand any chance. It's a shame we wasted 4 months of the season.

Go back to your brains doc !!! It aint over till Pinnacle's missus starts singing :mrgreen:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:01 am

2 points dropped not in my book , any point away from home is a bonus .

Excellent point in a game played in poor conditions .

Bring on Southend .

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 am

saddlerken wrote:5 unbeaten, keep it going

terrific

6, we were 5 unbeaten going in to the game.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:It's a very good point, but unfortunately for me that ends our play off aspirations. We literally need to win every game bar 2/3 to stand any chance. It's a shame we wasted 4 months of the season.

Don't agree.

Our current form is DDWWWD, 12 points from 6 games.

We have 12 games remaining. So if we continue the form, we're looking at another 24 points, which would put us on 71 pts, which in two of the last 5 seasons has been enough for a play off spot.

If we can up that form a little bit, and get closer to 30 points from our remaining games, I reckon we stand a very good chance. Millwalls home form is stuttering, and I'd love to pip Leeds.

Don't rule it out yet, I think we could safely rule out the play offs after one more defeat.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:02 am

philthesaddler wrote:

Don't agree.

Our current form is DDWWWD, 12 points from 6 games.

We have 12 games remaining. So if we continue the form, we're looking at another 24 points, which would put us on 71 pts, which in two of the last 5 seasons has been enough for a play off spot.

If we can up that form a little bit, and get closer to 30 points from our remaining games, I reckon we stand a very good chance. Millwalls home form is stuttering, and I'd love to pip Leeds.

Don't rule it out yet, I think we could safely rule out the play offs after one more defeat.

Good post. Nice to see our form there in black and white. Makes me feel all toastie inside.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:18 am

yep im delighted to get the point and only saddened i couldn't listen to the rest of the game as my saddlersworld packed up on about 35 minutes and never worked again gutted :x

but well done to the lads regardless

Adj

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 am

Great performane deserved all 3 points and would have got them without some great goalkeeping.

Ince 6 - Made some good saves, however was in no mans land for thier goal
Palmer 4- The man is useless
Weston 7 - Played very well despite probably not being fully fit, won plenty in the air solid on the floor. got away with a rugby tackle in the 1st half.
Smith 8 - Simular to saturday superb
Boertien 7 - Fast becoming Mr Consistent, put in some timely blocks
Nicholls 6 - in and out of the game however was denied by a great murphy save late on from 20 yards
Hughes 7 - Gave the ball away on more occasions than usual however got stuck in well in difficult conditions
Mattis 7- Did the dirty work, won headers got his foot in, did what was needed
Zabooub 7 - Not at his best but is still our most dangerous attacking player on the ball
Ricketts 6 - thought he worked hard for the cause, few tricks and passes that on another night would have come off never got a clear sight at goal
Deeney 8 - The lad never stops trying, wonderfully taken goal, probably should have had a couple more, and i thought i would mention the fact when he brought his shirt over he apolagised to some fans and said i should have given you all 3 points.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:26 am

A hugely encouraging performance last night. We couldn't get into it in the first half at all but Scunthorpe are a very good side despite their recent poor run and credit must go to Clayton who pulled off two great saves to keep us in it going into the break.

In fact there was no real indication that we would come out all guns blazing in the second half but that's exactly what happened. Strong performances after half time seem to be something of a characteristic of this team and credit has to go Marty and Hutch for their undoubted influence. I think it's a combination of three things - organisation, motivation and better fitness. Take Mattis for instance - I thought the game largely passed him by in the first half but he was a different player after the break: tenacious, tough tackling and all over the pitch.

All the talk on Radio Humberside after the game was of Henri Lansbury, and while it's certainly something of a coup for Scunny to have persuaded Arsene Wenger to let one of his young stars make the long trip up to darkest North Lincolnshire, I think they're so desperate for him to be a success that it's colouring their view of him. He was average last night, with a frustrating tendency to over-elaborate that will be all too familiar to Arsenal watchers. In fact the best player on the pitch last night was another youngster who learnt his trade in rather less glamorous surroundings. Troy Deeney was simply outstanding and previous reporters are spot on when they say he could and should have had a hat-trick. I doubt there's ever been a player at Walsall who has so comprehensively managed to win the fans round after such a chequered start to their career. And while all the players clapped the hardy travelling fans at the end, Troy came over and gave his shirt to a fan. Our renaissance has probably (but by no means definitely) come too late for the play-offs but with any luck Leeds will be docked a few more points over the latest disgraceful revelations regarding their administration and we'll sneak in under everyones noses.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:54 am

Im loving the positive thinking

Course we can make the playoffs

I feel like Crystal Palace (if you see what I mean :? )

We have nothing to fear, no pressure, that will help, the only thing for me that will get in the way now is our lack of strength in depth particularly at the back

UTS

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 am

whats come out about leeds and there administration? nothing will be done becasue it Leeds and they can do whatever they like, like tap up other teams managwers for example?

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:53 am

the way i see it , last night was a good night apart from Millwall winning .

our draw was a big one as it also limited Scunthorpe to one point ; and all the other teams above us who are "catchable" only picked up one or none - Oldham , Leeds (on Mon ) , Stockport, Huddersfield, Tranmere

plus we keep our momentum .

i think the Southend game is crucial - win that and i think we are genuine contenders , with a few winnable ones coming up , and momentum gathering .

CMON U SADDLERS

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Banksy wrote:whats come out about leeds and there administration? nothing will be done becasue it Leeds and they can do whatever they like, like tap up other teams managwers for example?

All explained (or rather alleged) here.

No surprise really. It was always very likely that the offshore companies that had nothing to do with Bates (honest), but insisted that they wouldn't vote for any CVA that didn't leave him in charge (even if it resulted in them getting more of their money back) were lying and that the whole thing was a stitch-up.

I'm not sure that Leeds United should actually be punished for this. I don't see that the club have done anything wrong here. They're probably victims of what looks like it might well be a fraud (since companies with a connection to Bates would have been banned from voting at the creditors' meeting, so Bates has acquired his new stake in a way that he shouldn't have done). Not as much victims as the creditors, admittedly, but the punishment they received from the FL was more severe than it would have been if a proper CVA had gone through as it might have done without the dodgy dealings. However, West Yorkshire Constabulary's fraud squad ought to be knocking on Bates's door - and HMRC might want to look into whether they can recover any more of the money they were owed.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 pm

I agree with Phil that we should be looking at 71 points as a bench mark, that is 24 more points we need.

Scunthorpe's form has gone - if they'd have lost last night, then the fans would have been on their backs and the players would be struggling to get their heads up.
Millwall are stuttering. Their home form is patchy, and once it becomes easier to play away than at home, there are problems to be had. We were evidence of that from October until Mullen went.
Oldham get one good result and then have a dodgy couple of games. I expect them to make it, but not to finish in fourth.
Stockport are a good side - but the turmoil around their manager and board could well upset them in the run in
Tranmere are inconsistent - but I actually fancy them to sneak it late on.
Leeds could go either way. Struggle in the next couple of games, their fans will get more demanding and that could be negative. But these latest allegations look to be very serious, and I don't think we have heard the last of it. Questions are being asked in parliament, and from my own plain reading of the allegations, it looks extremely dodgy.

24 points is 8 wins from 12 which means we can only lose 2 or 3 games as METFAN says. Our run-in is a nightmare, but we have 7 games left at home. If you say that a team on a good run of form will win roughly 2 of every 3 home games, that'd put is on winning at least 5 of those games, ideally losing only one and drawing the other. Winnable away games at Southend and Leyton Orient must result in 3 points. That'd put us one win away from theoretically making the play-offs. I'd fancy a win, a draw and a defeat in any order from Millwall, Stockport and MK Dons - althrough both the Millwall and Stockport games are winnable.

How valuable those last minute f-ups against Tranmere, Huddersfield, Oldham and Millwall might prove to be, gifting four of our challengers a crucial extra three points. I haven't even taken into account the capitulation at home to Hartlepool or the toothless displays against the likes of Crewe, Leyton Orient and Peterborough. Four extra points would put us four off the play-offs now, and we'd really have the teams above looking over their shoulders worried.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Jorge14 wrote:I agree with Phil that we should be looking at 71 points as a bench mark, that is 24 more points we need.

Scunthorpe's form has gone - if they'd have lost last night, then the fans would have been on their backs and the players would be struggling to get their heads up.
Millwall are stuttering. Their home form is patchy, and once it becomes easier to play away than at home, there are problems to be had. We were evidence of that from October until Mullen went.
Oldham get one good result and then have a dodgy couple of games. I expect them to make it, but not to finish in fourth.
Stockport are a good side - but the turmoil around their manager and board could well upset them in the run in
Tranmere are inconsistent - but I actually fancy them to sneak it late on.
Leeds could go either way. Struggle in the next couple of games, their fans will get more demanding and that could be negative. But these latest allegations look to be very serious, and I don't think we have heard the last of it. Questions are being asked in parliament, and from my own plain reading of the allegations, it looks extremely dodgy.

24 points is 8 wins from 12 which means we can only lose 2 or 3 games as METFAN says. Our run-in is a nightmare, but we have 7 games left at home. If you say that a team on a good run of form will win roughly 2 of every 3 home games, that'd put is on winning at least 5 of those games, ideally losing only one and drawing the other. Winnable away games at Southend and Leyton Orient must result in 3 points. That'd put us one win away from theoretically making the play-offs. I'd fancy a win, a draw and a defeat in any order from Millwall, Stockport and MK Dons - althrough both the Millwall and Stockport games are winnable.

How valuable those last minute f-ups against Tranmere, Huddersfield, Oldham and Millwall might prove to be, gifting four of our challengers a crucial extra three points. I haven't even taken into account the capitulation at home to Hartlepool or the toothless displays against the likes of Crewe, Leyton Orient and Peterborough. Four extra points would put us four off the play-offs now, and we'd really have the teams above looking over their shoulders worried.

That's true, but had those late messes not happened then we may have still had Mullen in charge and we'd certainly be a lot worse off and the football would have continued to have been cack. If the price of getting rid of Mullen was the results you mention, then unfortunately, it was well worth it.

Great result last night. Good to hear of us having a real crack at a top team in their own backyard. Very Walsall.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 am

Jorge14 wrote:I agree with Phil that we should be looking at 71 points as a bench mark, that is 24 more points we need.

71 points might be a benchmark of what's typically required for 6th, it might be a good target to give the players to convince them we have an outside chance of the play-offs. But it won't be enough this season. Leeds (6th) are on course for 74 points, Scunthorpe (7th) for 75, all of the top five at least a couple more than that.

Looking at previous seasons points tallies is all well and good at the start of the season, but when you've played two-thirds of this season there's a huge pool of data to look at that's much more indicative of what'll happen for the rest of the season: the actual results and tables from this season. They tell me that we'll need at least 74 points, so 27 from our remaining 12 games. That's not (quite) impossible, but we do have a tough run in, with away games against some decent sides. So, for me, that means we need to pick up at least 10 (almost certainly 12) of those points from our next four games (Southend and then three home games against sides below us, including two of the bottom five or six).

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season