Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 28/2/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Re: Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 28/2/09.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:32 pm

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Walsall 3 - 0 Yeovil
Attendance: 2,761

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:23 pm

[quote="DanWalsallFC"]Walsall 3 - 0 Yeovil
Attendance: 2,761[/quote]

:shock:

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:23 pm

I cant stand Yeovil! :evil:

I dont have a good feeling about this one though! Hope we dont this one!

Att 3541 Arron Brown to score with overhead kick again for the vistors!

windowman
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:48 pm

can we all make traffic jam back to bristol, take roof and seats from away end, pray to god it pis ses down,run out of pies ect by kick off,then beat them 3 -0, then i will be happy

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:29 pm

windowman wrote:can we all make traffic jam back to bristol, take roof and seats from away end, pray to god it pis ses down,run out of pies ect by kick off,then beat them 3 -0, then i will be happy

Think that one is pretty much odds on. Or is that just the home end.

SWS1

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:48 pm

2 - 0 to Walsall.
Ince (bomber goal kick) and the Referee (his name is Rick O'Shea, apparently - or was it Owen Gole?).
:lol:

PS Can anyone remember when a GOALKEEPER scored against us? (It was a long time ago). :?:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm going to Middlersboro versus Liverpool tomrrow, quite randomly :D

I'm staying in Yarm near Thirsk so going with the girlfriends family to watch the boro. should be interesting! haha!

Come on the saddlers! =D

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:33 am

are you barry, do you come from tipton :roll:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:04 am

Crikey, 39 posts on the match thread and still no 'football talk' from the man who has forgotten more about Walsall than anybody will ever know :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:55 am

windowman wrote:are you barry, do you come from tipton :roll:

Wrong person.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:49 am

Given the recent turnaround at the club, i'd be disappointed if we didn't win this one.

I'll go 3-1 Walsall.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:2 - 0 to the Saddlers

Me to win the 50/50 draw with a ticket bought from Ned

If I'd said me not to win the 50/50 I would have been spot on!!

Another solid performance even with Ricketts as an emergency central defender after Gerrard went off. He didn't exactly instil confidence in that position but did enough to keep it level It has to be said that Manny Smith stepped up today, especially when having to back Ricketts up in defence.

8 points off the play offs with 13 games to go. On current form you never know......

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Well 9 points out of 9 - what more can we ask for?
Very pleased with today - we didnt set the world alight but did enough to win the game.
Deeney is obviously brimming with confidence and Im sure Nicholls will be after todays goal.
My highlight though has to be John Terry aka Ricketts in Central Defence! I was very worried after his first touch there but he managed to hold it together and even did a view sweeper like moves!!
Does highlight how much we need cover at Central defence though.

And to cap it all the Wolves lost - Happy Days!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Louise wrote:Well 9 points out of 9 - what more can we ask for?
Very pleased with today - we didnt set the world alight but did enough to win the game.
Deeney is obviously brimming with confidence and Im sure Nicholls will be after todays goal.
My highlight though has to be John Terry aka Ricketts in Central Defence! I was very worried after his first touch there but he managed to hold it together and even did a view sweeper like moves!!
Does highlight how much we need cover at Central defence though.

And to cap it all the Wolves lost - Happy Days!!!

So did liverfool, its all good.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Interesting that Ricketts dropped into CB.

When I saw that Ibehre had come on for Gerrard, I wondered who would cover at CB. I thought maybe Mattis would drop back to CB and then Ricketts into midfield, but an interesting choice, and it obviously paid off!

Nice to win 2-0 again - I'll have to think about having it as one of my predictions next week!! :lol:

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Louise wrote:And to cap it all the Wolves lost - Happy Days!!!

Unfortunately, you then have to endure the 'post mortem' on WM. And they have the nerve to say that there's not a Wolves bias!!

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:39 pm

Another steady performance. I thought we seemed to lack urgency in the first half and Yeovil caused us a few problems, although there weren't too many clear cut chances. Second half, we upped our game and in the end the result was fairly comfortable (aside from some unnecessary niggling fouls by Yeovil).

My man of the match was Mannie Smith - coped well with tricky, physical opponents as well as the loss of Gerrard in the the second half. Honourable mentions for Hughes, Zaaboub and Ricketts.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Good win today. Special mention for Manny Smith. I thought he was excellent. Mostly he anticipated their play and was there to clear his lines. Troy again was busy and deserved the MOM award. Ricketts was just class. When Weston is fit he has to play right back (so long as Gezza's injury isn't going to keep himout) and drop Palmer. He is the only negative from today's performance. He was awful and obviously our weak link. He can't head, tackle, run with the ball, pass and just hoofs the ball. Overall a well deserved win.

walsallscotg

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:48 pm

player ratings

ince - 8 - didnt have much to do much came for every cross and caught them well
palmer - 7 - i dont think he played to bad, didnt really make any serious mistakes as he usually does
smith - 9 - for me he was my man of the match, i though he was solid and won everything thrown his way, that will do the world for his confidance!
gerrard - 8 - was his solid usual self but then obviously got subbed
boertien - 8 - yet again kept it simple and solid
mattis - 9 - tottally bossed midfield with his crunching challenges and work ethic, excellent!
hughes - 8 - yet again broke down play brilliantly and tottally bossed in the air
zaaboob - 8 - looked dangerous, he did do a few bad crosses but his cross for nicholls was sublime!
nicholls - 8 - thought he worked hard and took his goal well, i wish he would exploit the space more, especially in the first half
ricketts - 9 - played really well upfront linking the play and fair play to him for covering at the back, looked a bit dodgy to begin with but then looked fairly solid
deeney - 9 - Excellent, worked hard all game and finished very well

jabo - 7 - looked strong and his touch was first class as usual, maybe should of scored though
sansara - cant really rate him, not enough time on the pitch
taundry - 7 - kept its solid in midfield, made no mistakes

so overall i thought we played well. first half was nothing special but the second was really good and the atmosphere seemed to pick up which was nice to see.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Great team performance. First half slightly slow out the blocks, 2nd much better.Massive mention to Michael ricketts & troy deeney. Ricketts really showed his experience & ability to play at a higher level by showing he is compatible to play just about anywhere, we can see his class in midfield, especially upfront & today his usefullness at the back, he's slow & lazy,but by god we'd miss him so very much if he wasnt with us, absolute class. Troy deeney meanwhile worked very hard, made some excellent runs & showed great composure for his goal, a completely changed young man under hutch. Mattis was very good today chased down, as was manny smith who looks completely comfortable playing at this level under the hutch. Gerrard,ince and boertien were also excellent especially boertien who is a class performer and a nice bloke. Zaabobu was slightly of it today , miss-hitting 2 shots apallingly and his crossing wasn't excellent, but the one cross that was perfect created another goal so that's all good. Alex nicholls was like the player of old today, showing that on his day he can make just as much impact in our side as anyone else, he has pace, creativity and a goalscoring eye, definetely a player for the future. The only real let down for me agian today were palmer and hughes, we all now about palmers inability to head the football,tackle,defend or attack. But stephen hughes has played in the premier league, agreed he's there for a defensive role, but i've got to say he does notthing but apss side to side or backwasrds, there were at least 3 occasions today where he could have gone forward, but hoose an easy side option, 3 or 4 times when his donkey style pace were tackled and caught and we lost possesssion, fair enough he tackles, intercepts,but i just want a bit more from the man.

Anyway, we won and im very pleased about the hutch regime, the pair of them are obviously making a difference, of corse we lack a squad & some classy players in some departments, but im hoping for a solid and positive end to the season & then onto next where we really get to see what these pair can do. Onwards & upwards. UTS!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:05 pm

walsallscotg wrote:player ratings

palmer - 7 - i dont think he played to bad, didnt really make any serious mistakes as he usually does
smith - 9 - for me he was my man of the match, i though he was solid and won everything thrown his way, that will do the world for his confidance!
mattis - 9 - tottally bossed midfield with his crunching challenges and work ethic, excellent!
hughes - 8 - yet again broke down play brilliantly and tottally bossed in the air
zaaboob - 8 - looked dangerous, he did do a few bad crosses but his cross for nicholls was sublime!
nicholls - 8 - thought he worked hard and took his goal well, i wish he would exploit the space more, especially in the first half
ricketts - 9 - played really well upfront linking the play and fair play to him for covering at the back, looked a bit dodgy to begin with but then looked fairly solid

jabo - 7 - looked strong and his touch was first class as usual, maybe should of scored though

so overall i thought we played well. first half was nothing special but the second was really good and the atmosphere seemed to pick up which was nice to see.

ludicrous marks

we were ok, Yeovil are rubbish

walsallscotg

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Sadders wrote:Great team performance. First half slightly slow out the blocks, 2nd much better.Massive mention to Michael ricketts & troy deeney. Ricketts really showed his experience & ability to play at a higher level by showing he is compatible to play just about anywhere, we can see his class in midfield, especially upfront & today his usefullness at the back, he's slow & lazy,but by god we'd miss him so very much if he wasnt with us, absolute class. Troy deeney meanwhile worked very hard, made some excellent runs & showed great composure for his goal, a completely changed young man under hutch. Mattis was very good today chased down, as was manny smith who looks completely comfortable playing at this level under the hutch. Gerrard,ince and boertien were also excellent especially boertien who is a class performer and a nice bloke. Zaabobu was slightly of it today , miss-hitting 2 shots apallingly and his crossing wasn't excellent, but the one cross that was perfect created another goal so that's all good. Alex nicholls was like the player of old today, showing that on his day he can make just as much impact in our side as anyone else, he has pace, creativity and a goalscoring eye, definetely a player for the future. The only real let down for me agian today were palmer and hughes, we all now about palmers inability to head the football,tackle,defend or attack. But stephen hughes has played in the premier league, agreed he's there for a defensive role, but i've got to say he does notthing but apss side to side or backwasrds, there were at least 3 occasions today where he could have gone forward, but hoose an easy side option, 3 or 4 times when his donkey style pace were tackled and caught and we lost possesssion, fair enough he tackles, intercepts,but i just want a bit more from the man.

Anyway, we won and im very pleased about the hutch regime, the pair of them are obviously making a difference, of corse we lack a squad & some classy players in some departments, but im hoping for a solid and positive end to the season & then onto next where we really get to see what these pair can do. Onwards & upwards. UTS!

agree with most of what you say but hughes!, broke up play brilliantly, was solid and won so many header it was untrue!

walsallscotg

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:09 pm

saddlerken wrote:
walsallscotg wrote:player ratings

ludicrous marks

we were ok, Yeovil are rubbish

i know there a bit on the nice side but im just really happy with how we are at the moment, PLUS west brom, wolves and liverpool losing really made me happy :D

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:10 pm

tape66 wrote:2-1 or 1-0 to the Saddlers cor decide.

Pinnacle to be found outside the Banks''ss''ss''s promoting Asian homosexual love week.

this is a slur and a personal attack on me ! mods, admins, are you going to uphold my complaint ?
or go along with the clique ?
message to tape 66....like me or loathe me....you are bang out of order :(

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:20 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
tape66 wrote:2-1 or 1-0 to the Saddlers cor decide.

Pinnacle to be found outside the Banks''ss''ss''s promoting Asian homosexual love week.

this is a slur and a personal attack on me ! mods, admins, are you going to uphold my complaint ?
or go along with the clique ?
message to tape 66....like me or loathe me....you are bang out of order :(

The words can dish it out, but can't take it spring to mind. No, the complaint will not be held, as if you were a regular reader of the board you'd know tape often puts jokey comments on the match thread about all posters. They are just that jokes.

A comfortable, if not thrilling performance today. Two more well taken goals, looking more solid at the back as weeks go on and playing the ball around well throughout the team. Funny how I was mocked for suggesting a few weeks ago that we should bring Smith in at centre half and Weston in at right back (before hi got injured) because that would solve our only weakness right now.

Smith was solid again. Not bad for a useless kid who'll never make it, if you listen to the knee jerk reaction fans.

Other mentions to Zaaboub, Deeney and I thought Mattis played well also. Keep this run going and if the results go our way it could get interesting.

Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Glad we didn't sign that Aaron Brown - Ricketts looked more of a centre half than him!!

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Did OK. Yeovil were pretty poor. Well-taken goals from Nicholls and Deeney. Considering our lack of resources at the back, to keep three consecutive clean sheets is a real achievement. As Hutchings said on WM, we are likely to score goals in most games, so if we can keep a clean sheet then we're going to win. Pretty obvious really, but it's a fact that eluded our previous manager so perhaps not.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:36 pm

1933 wrote:Glad we didn't sign that Aaron Brown - Ricketts looked more of a centre half than him!!

Actually thought first half he was ok, but second half he went all shaky.

Solid performace grinding out the victory. Once we take the lead we look unstoppable.

Manny palyed well again. If Ant is out Tuesday then Bradley could fill in or maybe play Mattis there.
Last edited by Asps on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 pm

caldy wrote:Good win today. Special mention for Manny Smith. I thought he was excellent. Mostly he anticipated their play and was there to clear his lines. Troy again was busy and deserved the MOM award. Ricketts was just class. When Weston is fit he has to play right back (so long as Gezza's injury isn't going to keep himout) and drop Palmer. He is the only negative from today's performance. He was awful and obviously our weak link. He can't head, tackle, run with the ball, pass and just hoofs the ball. Overall a well deserved win.

Hate to say this but Palmers hoof, no sorry pass up feild led to Deeneys goal so must be classsed as an assist.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season