Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v Sheff Utd 17/2/09

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Reserves v Sheff Utd 17/2/09

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:13 am

Well its half term week and I am on holiday again. Planning to pop along later and see if we have any trialists on show in support of our youth team?

Will post short report upon my return.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Reserves v Sheff Utd 17/2/09

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:38 am

Mike T. wrote:Well its half term week and I am on holiday again. Planning to pop along later and see if we have any trialists on show in support of our youth team?

Will post short report upon my return.

See you there.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Walsall Reserves v. Sheffield United Reserves
at Bescot Stadium

Walsall 2 0 Sheffield United

Walsall (4-4-2)
Rene Gilmartin

Rory Wood
Jon Patrick
Hassan Bacchus
Netan Sansara

Sean Geddes
Richard Davies (Captain)
Richard Taundry (Tom Overfield, 61 min.)
Sam Adkins

Josh Craddock (James Travis, 68 min.)
Will Grigg (Joe Howes, 76 min.)

Unused Substitute
James Belshaw (gk)

Manager:- Martin O'Connor

Goal Log:-
6 min. - 1-0 - cracking shot from Geddes puts the Saddlers ahead.
24 min. - 2-0 - terrible blunder by Blades' 'keeper as he chests the ball down in his own penalty-area and Craddock accepts the gift.

Sinner:-
1 min. - Davies cautioned for flattening the Blades' no. 11

Comments:-
At 22, Gilmartin must have felt like a "veteran" in what was more like a youth team fixture between two very young sides. The Saddlers were good value for their win as Gilmartin was only called into action with two fine saves in the last 12 minutes.
The defence was rarely troubled with Bacchus and Sansara in particularly good form.
The midfield, not surprisingly, generally had the better of the exchanges with their opponents with Taundry and Davies controlling the centre and the promising Geddes always a threat on the right (he scored one and hit the post in the 36th minute).
In attack, Craddock and Grigg worked hard but didn't threaten the visitors' goal as often as I would have liked.
As regards first team potential, apart from the usual suspects (Taundry, Sansara, Gilmartin), Davies, Geddes and Bacchus looked the pick of the rest.

Stalky

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm

A good report by Pedagogue. He managed to decipher the wrong numbers on many of the players, acurately.

Sheffield United were very disappointing, particularly in the first half when they didn't manage a serious effort on goal. Gilmartin must have thought that he was on half-term! He made one particularly good save in the second half, but overall, it was a day off for him.

I agree that Bacchus (impressive) and Sansara were the pick of the defenders, although M O'C laid into Sansara on a couple of occasions for not picking up his man. Rory Wood, in particular, seemed to be out of his depth. The back five were fortunate that the powderpuff Blades attack offered no threat whatsoever.

The main difference in the teams was the midfield. Taundry was awesome and must surely be back in the first team after this performance. It seems that M O'C was thinking the same, since he took him off after an hour. He was well supported by Davies and between them they dominated the centre of the park. Geddes scored with a sweet drive after 5 minutes, when a corner wasn't cleared and the ball dropped to him near the edge of the area. His firm shot gave the keeper no chance. Later on he had an even more impressive effort. As he meandered forward on the right, the defence seemed to open up and he needed no further invitation. He pressed forward until, just outside the penalty area, he let fly with a superb shot which hit the post at speed. He was playing out of position on the wide right, until Taundry was replaced when he moved inside. The flashes that we saw confirmed that the interest shown at the end of last season by Premiership clubs was well-founded. I doubt whether we will be able to hold onto him. Adkins was reasonable, but did not rise to the standards of his three midfield compatriates.

In attack, Craddock took his goal well, although to be fair, he could hardly miss. A suicidal moment by the Blades' left back who, in trying to get a goal-kick off Grigg hammered the ball across goal, giving the Keeper little chance to control it. Unlike Pedagogue, I don't blame the Goalie for this one. I was disappointed in Grigg. He seemed to be easily pushed off the ball and frequently his chasing for the ball was half-hearted.

None of the substitutes made much of an impact, but by the time they came on, the Saddlers' midfield dominance had vanished and they were feeding on scraps.

Overall, a decent performance against a team who should have had more to offer, together with a very acceptable result.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Thought I would thaw out watching a bit of cricket with a brew before posting again.

Must admit was pleasantly surprised by the football we played this afternoon. Not too sure of the strength of the United side but thought we played very well. First time I have seen Sam Adkins (who I thought linked very well with Netan Sansara) who has a good left foot and played intelligently and Sean Geddes who was scored a good goal , also hit the woodwork and proved to be very industrious when he switched into centre midfield for the last 20/25 minutes.

Impressed with Hassan at centre back and Richard Davies in the centre of midfield who did not let a first minutes booking stop him from dominating midfield winning a number of tackles and using the ball well.

Must say Pedagogue, you are perhaps being somewhat critical of their keeper - it was the most amazing pass back fired at him from somewhere approaching the corner flag. He did well to keep on his feet after it hit him in the chest :)

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Regarding our second goal, I will agree that it was one of the most bizarre ones that I have ever seen - quite funny if you were an opposing supporter! :D The left back certainly sent a high-power hospital pass back across his own penalty-area, from a narrow angle. Maybe I was a little harsh on their goalie but I still felt that the he could have played safe and knocked it out for a corner, say.

Return to 2008-09 Season