Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 21/2/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Jorge14
UTS Legend

Re: Northampton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 21/2/09.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:57 pm

Get in.

2-0. Hughes 83 mins and Ibehre 90+3. Cracking result and lifts us into 11th.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Dire game according to Sad World, but it takes two to tango, and they were really dire, apparently.

I'll take the points. Great result.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 pm

From the times we have played them over the years ive never sen Northampton play particualrly well. Dire team.

Good result today, pleased.

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Nice to see us score in injury time. :D

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Great result - good to see us score instead of concede at the end of a match.
Shows the resillence the new Management have given them - its grieves me to think where we could be now if we had Hutch and O'Connor since August.Still better late than never - well done lads ,6 out of 6.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Louise wrote:Great result - good to see us score instead of concede at the end of a match.
Shows the resillence the new Management have given them - its grieves me to think where we could be now if we had Hutch and O'Connor since August.Still better late than never - well done lads ,6 out of 6.

I agree, ive already forgotten jimmy mullen exists.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:15 pm

Good result. I think it was a case of whichever team scored first was going to win the match, and luckily that proved to be us. I think to call the game dire is a bit over the top but it wasn't much better.

Both goals were brilliantly taken, and there was some nice football at times. We also showed we were prepeared to 'mix it' when the game got a bit more turgid. The grit that Hutch and MO'C have brought to the squad was there for all to see.

Ince - the odd routine save but wasn't really tested
Palmer - started OK, then reverted to the usual. Poor positioning, inability to tackle / head luckily didn't cost us
Smith / Gerrard - coped well with the threat of the busy Clarke and the bustling Akinfenwa, save the odd lapse
Boertien - continues to impress and makes a mockery of the decision to select Palmer / Sansara ahead of him. Links up well with Zaaboub
Nicholls - struggled but showed glimpses. I think he suffers from the fact that (a) he's not a winger (although he generally acquits himself adequately) and (b) he's not playing in front of a recognised right back
Hughes - a true captain's performance: broke up play, distributed well and broke superbly to net the winner
Bradley - in and out, still a shade of the Bradley of last season
Zaaboub - probably the least effect i've seen him recently, but still brilliant. The opposition just couldn't cope with his direct running.
Ricketts - class. He gets criticised for not running around but when you can do what he can do, you don't need to
Deeney - i'll admit, i'm not a fan. But he's slowly winning me round. Hustled and bustled to good effect

Mattis - put himself about and enabled others around him (Hughes / Zaaboub / Ricketts) to use the ball
Jabo - did what he does and scored the goal to seal victory with unusual composure
Taundry - little time to have an impact

It's performances like this that may give us an outside hope of the play-offs. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, although it'll be out of hope rather than expectation.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:18 pm

yep good result today , i didnt listen to the game today as i was partaking in watching -

Evesham 1 Swindon Supermarine 0 ATT-138
Robinson (51)

A battling encounter saw the Robins win under what was a card happy ref and his silly linesman and topped off with a fight at the end of the game in the tunnel that saw all the players run and join in the frenzy .
The 7 swindon fans went home miserable :lol:

UTS

Adj

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Pretty much agree with four oaks saddlers summing up. It wasn't a great game and although I think we gave them too much of the ball, they didn't really do anything with it. We took our chances when they came and showed a lot of patience but not our best perfromance. But hey, 3 points, 2 goals and 1 cleen sheet made it a very good away day.

I was just glad to get away from the bloke shouting "get the subs on" every 5 minutes!

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Was very impressed today, not a great performance but we were well organised and hard to break down and scored two well taken goals! Hutchings and O'Connor are doing a marvelous job all they need is a right back who is not a pathetic excuse for a footballer, Plamer is useless! Jabo when he came on looked like the Jabo from the start of the season and took his goal really well, and a specialmention to Manny Smith who i have never rated but he had a fantastic game today! Things are looking up!

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Three games on the trot someone says good things about Manny Smith, something must be wrong on this site. :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm

There have been many occasions in the past when I have seriously wondered why I bother to go to away matches, the misery of poor performances, the misery of dominating games only to lose in the last few minutes, the misery of yet another cheating referee, linesman, dump of an away ground in the sowf with associated bunch of loud mouth cockerneys and nasty warm expensive beer but today makes it all worthwhile.

New management team, tactics and the sprinkling of a few decent players including one outstanding one for this division, Michael Ricketts. His performance today was simply masterful, from tackling back in the first minute to deny some Northampton dreg a chance, allbeit at the expense of a corner, to laying on both goals with defence splitting passes.
Some of our play today, although in short supply due to both the opposition and a few of our very ordinary players was excellent, simple one touch football and a few delightful tricks from both Hughes and Ricketts makes me optimistic for next season, this season is ten games too late and four or five good players short pending a miracle.

The effect our new management team has had on the defence, Palmer excepted, have led to our recent recovery although all our defenders have obvious shortcomings. Midfield looked a little shakey at times, not helped by the lack of form from Bradley and the immobile Hughes but despite that and even allowing for the fact that Nickolls is not a winger or midfielder we did look comfortable for long periods in the first half with Zaaboub once again creating danger on the wing and sending over a number of dangerous crosses, one of which, Deeney may have scored from.

After the break we allowed Northampton a lot more possession simply by not keeping the ball or letting Palmer hoof it a la Mullen tactics and they created a number of chances which were not taken until Ricketts and Hughes took over, forcing two corners and then producing a superb breakaway goal which was matched late into injury time by Jabos finish.
Good performance all round and congratulations to Chris Hutchings and Martin O'Connor for producing a Walsall team that some romantics think only existed in the good old days!

When we win it's always a great game especially when Bet365 offer such good odds for an away win..........get in! :D

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Cully wrote:There have been many occasions in the past when I have seriously wondered why I bother to go to away matches, the misery of poor performances, the misery of dominating games only to lose in the last few minutes, the misery of yet another cheating referee, linesman, dump of an away ground in the sowf with associated bunch of loud mouth cockerneys and nasty warm expensive beer but today makes it all worthwhile.

New management team, tactics and the sprinkling of a few decent players including one outstanding one for this division, Michael Ricketts. His performance today was simply masterful, from tackling back in the first minute to deny some Northampton dreg a chance, allbeit at the expense of a corner, to laying on both goals with defence splitting passes.
Some of our play today, although in short supply due to both the opposition and a few of our very ordinary players was excellent, simple one touch football and a few delightful tricks from both Hughes and Ricketts makes me optimistic for next season, this season is ten games too late and four or five good players short pending a miracle.

The effect our new management team has had on the defence, Palmer excepted, have led to our recent recovery although all our defenders have obvious shortcomings. Midfield looked a little shakey at times, not helped by the lack of form from Bradley and the immobile Hughes but despite that and even allowing for the fact that Nickolls is not a winger or midfielder we did look comfortable for long periods in the first half with Zaaboub once again creating danger on the wing and sending over a number of dangerous crosses, one of which, Deeney may have scored from.

After the break we allowed Northampton a lot more possession simply by not keeping the ball or letting Palmer hoof it a la Mullen tactics and they created a number of chances which were not taken until Ricketts and Hughes took over, forcing two corners and then producing a superb breakaway goal which was matched late into injury time by Jabos finish.
Good performance all round and congratulations to Chris Hutchings and Martin O'Connor for producing a Walsall team that some romantics think only existed in the good old days!
When we win it's always a great game especially when Bet365 offer such good odds for an away win..........get in! :D

Err....pardon me for interupting the world according to Cully, we won 2-0 at Northampton last season.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Louise wrote:Great result - good to see us score instead of concede at the end of a match.

I agree, ive already forgotten jimmy mullen exists.

Jimmy who?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote: some stuff about todays match and ...................

Err....pardon me for interupting the world according to Cully, we won 2-0 at Northampton last season.

Great post Geordie!!!

Is that better?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 pm

Exile wrote:Jimmy who?

You remember, that short fat bloke in goal last week :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:29 pm

Another impressive result where we clearly had to roll our sleeves up and grind things out. That wouldn't have happened 3 months ago, that's for sure.

It's plain for all to see where our weaknesses lie. I'm told they targetted Palmer again today having sussed out that he can't defend. That could do with being rectified really.

Other than that, 2 clean sheets in our last 2 games is an impressive achievement. Well done to all concerned.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Cully wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote: some stuff about todays match and ...................

Great post Geordie!!!

Is that better?

Its "top post Geordie" you muppet, dear me you are having a poor day on here. Ignorant of both Walsall FC recent history and UTS etiquette.

Time for bed Cully, before you forget where the stairs are.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:04 pm

First half we were inconsistent. At times some of the stuff was superb. It was world class, the touches, the movement, pure quality. But then there was times where we just lumped it as far as we could, and played dyer. So first half was mixed and 0-0 was probably fair.

Second half, we never realy got started. Northampton had more posession but never realy created. Then oncame, Mattis, shortly followed by Mattis. This changed things for us. A good through ball saw Hughes through one-on-one and calmly place the ball past the keeper. Shortly after Jabo stole the ball off the defender to score and easy one-on-one and seal the 3 points.

Not the best of performances, never realy got out of second gear, but it was all that was needed against a poor Northampton team

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pm

A brilliant performance considering the state of the pitch and lack of atmosphere.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:16 pm

All in all a sleepy game. We had two chances and scored two goals. They had no chances and therefore scored no goals (Fact). Rickets played well. I was expecting great things from Zaboub, considering all the hype but he was largely quiet.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:10 am

Surrey Saddler wrote:All in all a sleepy game. We had two chances and scored two goals. They had no chances and therefore scored no goals (Fact). Rickets played well. I was expecting great things from Zaboub, considering all the hype but he was largely quiet.

About as close to reality as one of Sheffield Saddler's FACTs.

Didn't you notice the header that Larkin put wide in the 2nd half? Frankly, he should have buried it.

Otherwise, a gutsy performance that wasn't pretty to watch , particularly in the 2nd half. In the end, we seemed to have a bit more belief than Northampton.

The major disappointment was Nicholls - a consistently dreadful performance

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:44 am

moaning saddler wrote:
Surrey Saddler wrote:All in all a sleepy game. We had two chances and scored two goals. They had no chances and therefore scored no goals (Fact). Rickets played well. I was expecting great things from Zaboub, considering all the hype but he was largely quiet.

Didn't you notice the header that Larkin put wide in the 2nd half? Frankly, he should have buried it.

Otherwise, a gutsy performance that wasn't pretty to watch , particularly in the 2nd half. In the end, we seemed to have a bit more belief than Northampton.

Kearns even thought that so it must have been a sitter! There was also a shot prior from the same chap (I think), just after he'd come on, from 20 yards, but ince was up to it, tipping it round for a corner.

That aside though, they were more toothless than a 23 year old dog.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:56 am

Exile wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:

Kearns even thought that so it must have been a sitter! There was also a shot prior from the same chap (I think), just after he'd come on, from 20 yards, but ince was up to it, tipping it round for a corner.

That aside though, they were more toothless than a 23 year old dog.

Who told you ? I only went out with her once, and I swear she had her own teeth. Although I did wonder what the glass in her handbag was for.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:20 am

I enjoyed the game, thought we played some nice stuff and was always in control 2-0 propably flattered but no one should argue with a walsall win. Ricketts was class, some nice touches and lay off play first half from Cristiano Zaboob and Hughes was back to his best.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:06 am

very pleasing result and performance by all accounts.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:First half we were inconsistent. At times some of the stuff was superb. It was world class, the touches, the movement, pure quality. But then there was times where we just lumped it as far as we could, and played dyer. So first half was mixed and 0-0 was probably fair.

Second half, we never realy got started. Northampton had more posession but never realy created. Then oncame, Mattis, shortly followed by Mattis. This changed things for us. A good through ball saw Hughes through one-on-one and calmly place the ball past the keeper. Shortly after Jabo stole the ball off the defender to score and easy one-on-one and seal the 3 points.

Not the best of performances, never realy got out of second gear, but it was all that was needed against a poor Northampton team

That must have been spookey seeing Mattis come on shortly followed by Mattis!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:03 am

moaning saddler wrote:

Larkin could have had a hattrick yesterday, but he was useless.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:00 pm

yea i heard it was a weak game ... someone says dire on here and some say poor ,either way it didnt sound like a glamour game but we all knew it wouldnt be

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:56 pm

As the day after this vital game draws to a close, still less than 60 posts on the match thread.

Nobody comes on here for a moan anymore. :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season