Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 21/2/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Northampton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 21/2/09.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:As the day after this vital game draws to a close, still less than 60 posts on the match thread.

Nobody comes on here for a moan anymore. :D

I

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:29 pm

agree.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Geordie!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:19 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:As the day after this vital game draws to a close, still less than 60 posts on the match thread.

They've all stopped so they can get behind the lads. :wink:

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:51 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
Surrey Saddler wrote:All in all a sleepy game. We had two chances and scored two goals. They had no chances and therefore scored no goals (Fact). Rickets played well. I was expecting great things from Zaboub, considering all the hype but he was largely quiet.

About as close to reality as one of Sheffield Saddler's FACTs.

Didn't you notice the header that Larkin put wide in the 2nd half? Frankly, he should have buried it.

Otherwise, a gutsy performance that wasn't pretty to watch , particularly in the 2nd half. In the end, we seemed to have a bit more belief than Northampton.

The major disappointment was Nicholls - a consistently dreadful performance

They also had a very good chance in the second half (not sure who) and only a great save by Ince kept it out.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Exile wrote:

It also appears that the live blog (which is a good addition) is reducing the number of posts made on the match thread during the game - which is obviously a higher proportion of the total for an away game as less people go to them, so more are around to post during the game and fewer have seen things at the game to post on later.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:17 pm

Exile wrote:

Schucks!!

That answers my next question about the increase in crowds and the improved match-day atmosphere that seems to be the en-vogue topic of conversation.

Trust you to have your finger on the pulse Exile. :D

Turn off the life support machine when you've finished fiddling with the corpse, there's a good chap.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Turn off the life support machine when you've finished fiddling with the corpse, there's a good chap.

Right-ho!

There's always one bitter relative who can't wait for the will to be read.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Exile wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Turn off the life support machine when you've finished fiddling with the corpse, there's a good chap.

Right-ho!

There's always one bitter relative who can't wait for the will to be read.

Doubt it.

Those with any common sense have long since realised that the landlord of the old folks home has sold the family silver, and nicked off with the pension book. :wink:

Still. some retain fond memories, and with it, an unapologetic sense of identity.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Some with common sense realised a long time ago but aren't that bothered that they let it affect their Saturdays for what they are; watching 22 blokes run around on a pitch and using it as an excuse to get out the house and meet their mates for a pint or two (of milk or beer) and generally let off a bit of steam by shouting at a bloke in the middle dressed in black, opposing fans and if you're a Walsall "fan", your own younger players. Result/ambition/future is largely irrelevant and fighting against all odds makes it all the more enjoyable when 3 points does occur.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:54 pm

When was the last time YOU saw a referee in black?

Pining for a bygone age, but hey that's ok, I understand.

Its funny reading Walsall fans trying to invect some meaning to the matchday experience.

The forgotton word of WFC - FOOTBALL.

I'm not saying it should be the be all and end all, but it should be right up there in the levels of importance.

Or don't you agree with that?

Are we now just bit parts in some saddo, endless Nick Hornby type 28 year old parenthesis? Shagless, kebab stinking, lager-soaked boring, caracatures?

The vast majority of people who post on here are male, between 18 and 45.

Take care of your cultural inheritance as football fans, remember where you got it from. You are the ones who have the responsibility to nurture the next generation of fan. What are you doing about it? Having a good laaaaaaarf?

I expect to get p-d on from a great height for this attitude, but I don't care. Take a look around, the magic has completely gone from watching Walsall, how is that going to sustain, yet alone build the club??

Serious question or those that live in the town - (I am absolved being an Exile by the way as are others on here,I'm the last generation of my branch). But the question remains.

Give us the answers MMF.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 pm

The answers: I see football every time I watch Walsall play. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. The same as it's always been, goals (at the right end if we're lucky), free kicks, throw-ins, corners, mistimed challenges, funny moments of sliced passes. Nothing changes.

The magic has gone for you, but not for everyone, even if it's not as exciting as it has been in the past (recent past included). You get out what you put in, and some are still putting it in, and out, and shaking it all about. There's still more magic for me than watching a Premiership game, which has been the real killer for the lower league game, not greedy chairmen. The gap between the leagues is increasing and with it the hope that with a good manager and a bit of luck you could reach the top flight in a couple of seasons like in the old days.

That doesn't apply to the non league game, where although money plays a part to an extent, teams can still rise through the leagues through good management and hard working players, which is why you enjoy watching Whitley Bay and I enjoy watching non league on rare occasions also.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:59 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:The answers: I see football every time I watch Walsall play. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. The same as it's always been, goals (at the right end if we're lucky), free kicks, throw-ins, corners, mistimed challenges, funny moments of sliced passes. Nothing changes.

The magic has gone for you, but not for everyone, even if it's not as exciting as it has been in the past (recent past included). You get out what you put in, and some are still putting it in, and out, and shaking it all about. There's still more magic for me than watching a Premiership game, which has been the real killer for the lower league game, not greedy chairmen. The gap between the leagues is increasing and with it the hope that with a good manager and a bit of luck you could reach the top flight in a couple of seasons like in the old days.

That doesn't apply to the non league game, where although money plays a part to an extent, teams can still rise through the leagues through good management and hard working players, which is why you enjoy watching Whitley Bay and I enjoy watching non league on rare occasions also.

That's where you're wrong.

And pardon me for continually repeating myself, but while people like you, Exile, and various others continue to post inacurately, I will continue to correct you.

The magic hasn't gone for me. The magic lives on, every day. Walsall magic, Whitley Bay magic, football magic. From the sonsory shock of my first ever football match when my family hadn't even got a colour tele - Bolton Wanderers versus Nottingham Forest, I'd never seen a football match in colour until I actually went to a game.

I repeat, I've watched non-league football all my life, its nothing new to me despite how many times people on here try to make it so that i've "given up watching Walsall to watch non-league". RUBBISH. Walsall FC gave up on me, not the other way round.

You don't answer any of my questions MMF. You have very few answers but that's ok, I doubt you've ever earned your living out of football, Are you a parent?maybe one day when you've done those two things you WILL understand where I'm coming from, maybe not.

Its good to discuss things, I hope I can continue to so on here inspite of some people's obvious unease and protestations, not that I've ever cared for either in any walk of life. I think its great that I p off the prevailing ineptitude peddlars on here, and ooh look! the match threads nearly up to 75.

Congratulations, you really do have the football club and message board you wanted when Colin Lee was manager and trying to break the mould (just as I predicted at the time).

Just remind me again MMF, where you stood on someone trying to break Bonser's grip, remind me again what you thought of Bonser and his relationship with Merson that subsequently transpired shortly afterwards when Lee was booted out. Let's not route every one of your cop-out arguments with tales of lager and with the fact that you supposedly knew what was going on better than everyone else some 22-20 years ago when you were actually about what 12-15 years old?

Lets just get real for once and have a proper chat about Walsall FC.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:16 am

Geordie - your definition of WFC is WFC=Jeff Bonser. In one very real way that's true, but it's not the be-all and end-all, which is the point I'm trying to make. Can't speak for MMF as I have different opinions to him on a lot of things (Lee being one) but I can say that as a fan and supporter of WFC I count myself as part of the club - we're all stakeholders.

The one thing none of us can change is Uncle Jeff's involvement in the club. Walk away and don't spend your cash - you're not unique in that, and there's several hundred people who'd applaud your stance, but there's several thousand more who'll not. Your actions may help you feel good about your principles and ethics, but they don't sit squarely with being a fan in my eyes. God knows I feel uneasy about our current owner (anyone is welcome to PM me about this, including Jeff himself) but the club is more than one man, however large his ego or influence. You've reduced it to the equation above, Ithink you're wrong.

Great match thread by the way. :wink:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 am

Exile:

You don't speak for MMf, likewise you don't speak for me - probably more so.

For me WFC does NOT = Jeff Bonser. WFC = what it means to me. Football means what it means to me. You consistently fail to acknowledge that in your exchanges on this messageboard with me, I presume, but stand to be corrected, that you are to lazy to understand my perspective.

You are also wrong about me "not spending money at the club". I would hazzard a fairly acurate guess that I have spent considerably more money than your goodself at Walsall FC this season (and for many previous seasons), unless that is you have spent about £300 (this year that's what I've spent). So please clarify this, as its something you have posted a few times now. As with many of your posts its based on entirely inacurate assumptions.

I have my philosophy of doing things, you have yours. Stick to facts when you post about me or subjects close to my heart or I will correct you.

OK?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:41 am

Fine - I stand corrected, and gladly so from the source.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 am

Good, and now that everything's alright with the world after a couple of wins, will we be party to the information of how much money Tim Wilkes from New Zealand will be parting with in respect of merchandise, donations, shareholdings etc etc.

Get your cheque book out Tim, let's see you put your money where your mouth is like other fans. After all its that activity which, above all else entitles fans to their opinions on THEIR football club, you know the one that you chose to leave many thousands of miles behind.

So let's see it then. I've put about 7k in Walsall FC's coffers in the last 15 years, lets see your input.

Come on Tim don't be shy about your finances, that would be Bonseresque.

Your messageboard followers are hanging on the possibility I spelt "Wilkes" wrong, please put me right.

Tennis?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 am

I thought Hughes timed his run to perfection, and a great bit of vision from Ricketts to see the move in the first place.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:53 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:The answers: I see football every time I watch Walsall play. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. The same as it's always been, goals (at the right end if we're lucky), free kicks, throw-ins, corners, mistimed challenges, funny moments of sliced passes. Nothing changes.

Just remind me again MMF, where you stood on someone trying to break Bonser's grip, remind me again what you thought of Bonser and his relationship with Merson that subsequently transpired shortly afterwards when Lee was booted out. Let's not route every one of your cop-out arguments with tales of lager and with the fact that you supposedly knew what was going on better than everyone else some 22-20 years ago when you were actually about what 12-15 years old?

Lets just get real for once and have a proper chat about Walsall FC.

I'm not exactly sure of the points you are trying to make with a lot of your posts. I know my Pelsall Comp education failed me big time. Or maybe it was something to do with my mother walking out on us when I was young. Boo hoo eh? S*** happens. I know I'm not the most educated person on the message board, and I admit that I struggle to follow some of the English in your posts. Maybe as a person I have other qualities, other than having A levels in English.

I did laugh out loud at your estimate at MMF's age though, very good. I am of a similar age, but I remember things from the era you are talking about. You see in our house it was just me my dad and my brother. My brother never really go in to football, lucky sod. Everything revolved around WFC in our house. It was the be all and end all. That is how I grew up. All that mattered was getting to the next game. Sadly I don't have him to call on for info now, although if I really wanted to get some knowledge I could call on my Grandad, he is still knocking around. Had to stop going to games 3 years ago due to health problems, but he has around 75 years following Walsall under his belt. I'll stick my neck out here and say he is far more intelligent than yourself, and knows a dam sight more about WFC that you ever will. Wow very patronizing isn't it ? That is the kind of thing you keep saying to people. For what it's worth I used to go home and away with my Dad from when I was around 7. So many of the feats you claim to have achieved following Walsall I have done too. I don't want any reward for this, but maybe it will allow me to speak on the same level as yourself perhaps ?

I loved one of your lines in that post. Cop-out arguments with tales of lager. well that is one of the greatest things about following Walsall, you can walk in any pub in the town/city you are playing, and you will find a face from Walsall you know. Socialising and generally having a good time with your mates is every bit as important as the football, if not more so. You may think I am totally pro Bonser, that isn't the case at all. What is more important to me is all the memories I have following the lads. The times i spent with my Dad, and how close we were because of that team called Walsall.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about MMF. Like it is his fault Bonser failed to ditch Merson sooner, or that Colin Lee didn't get his grubby hands in the pot. Truth is we had no say in it, what ever our beliefs. There were good times back then, and we all enjoyed the ride without to much stick toward JB.

Walsall Football Club isn't the most important thing to me in the world now, it was once upon a time. I'm a parent too, that comes first, and sure I have had my times when I have fell off the rails, thrown my toys out the pram, stopped going for a while, don't think it ever lasted longer than a few weeks. Will you return when JB finally goes ? I certainly hope so, because Walsall needs fans like you that will go the extra mile for the cause that's for sure.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 am

MMf knows fine well I havn't got a "bee in my bonnet" about him, as does every other sane person on here with whom I metaphorically cross swords.

He repeatedly claims to have "known what was going on at the time" in respect of the Bonser as landlord shenanneghans. I doubt this is the case, as even now with the benefit of all our shared knowledge I am yet to see MMF post anything about that period in our history that I havn't read elsewhere on here, from people who are older than him, and who were far closer to the action via involvement with the supporters club.

MMF uses his argument to nullify discussions about the Bonser situation, I am merely challenging his assertions, as I have every right to do.

Its got absolutely bugger all to do with how much you enjoy (or don't) the match-day experience, yet that very topic is another constantly raised by those who will do anything to deflect a discussion away from the facts of how Walsall FC is run.

Its like someone saying "I totally disagree with the government's ecconomic policy" being met with a counter argument "Yeah but this government's great, because yesterday I went to the pub, had a right laugh, got twonked off 12 pints and won the jackpot on the gambler...all under this government, so there's nowt the matter".

Then the same people routinely lambast their fellow supporters for being uncaring and inactive in respect of protest etc!!

Talk about hypocrisy.

As regards my, your, or anyone elses track record as a fan, and how this translates into the right to opinion, I think you will find that I only mention it in response to others telling me I have no right to express my opinions on here because I havn't recently been to any games. That I am "bitter and twisted", "lost the love" "don't care about Walsall FC". Have you yourself not posted along similar lines? How would you like it If i accused you of not caring about Walsall FC, would it touch a nerve?? I've got nerves as well Blazing, your dad with whom you shared many a Walsall experience clearly means a lot to you, you're always on about it. Well guess what, My brother's long dead - aged 45. I used to go everywhere with him and Walsall FC, when he died the only thing I asked of in respect of his posessions was his Saddlers scalf. So yes I get wound up when people say I don't give a stuff about Walsall FC, and I have every right to after 35 years as a fan, 34 of which were as an active fan.

I've taken time out this year, I've revisited my personal philosophy of football and how I intend to express it. Part of that expression is, and will continue to be on this messageboard, so long as I want it to be. I don't expect my views to be popular, but where they are misunderstood and misrepresented, as they frequently are. I will continue to excercise my right to reply.

I don't like the way football is going, I don't like the way Walsall FC is going, and I don't like the way this messageboard is going! Not liking something doesn't make you bitter and twisted, and sticking your head above the parapet and saying so doesn't make you negative. It just makes me someone with an opinion, albeit very much a minority one (cue Exile or Plastic Hawk with a comment about burning martyrs no doubt).

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:00 am

That was a good post, I undersand a tiny bit better now. For some reason you post with a little bit more compassion towards me than you do towards some others. Not sure why, or if it is just my imagination.

I did actually know about your brother, because I remember you mentioning it before, (some time ago) I didn't realise he was also a Walsall Fan. I also understand it was similar circumstances to some one close to me. I Know you don't want my sympahtys but I am sorry if I choked a nerve. I didn't intend to do that, not in that sense any way.

Yep, I am always on about my Dad, he meant a lot to me, so maybe I do try to recreate old times in the modern day, it doesn't really happen, but it gives me something to cling on to at least.

I don't think you are bitter and twisted. I just find it sad that you and other good fans have gone, and I hope that some day they will all come back.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:32 am

I don't know Blazing, as I posted yesterday, I'm definitely the last line of Saddlers in my family.

People constantly say on here "you have to accept this, you can't change that" (or words to that effect. I completely disagree with that tone and philosophy.

Of course you can change things, and if you believe, as I do, that simple thoughts and deeds can lead to macro sea-changes then individuals (IMO) should think very carefully about what they subscribe to.

Of course this is more a philosophical argument than strictly a football one, but if football is a big part of one's life then its entirely reasonable that football will be the breeding ground for one's philosophy. That essentially is where I'm coming from, and I really don't see what could be simpler.

Nobody enjoys a beer, the match-day, the craik, everything, more than me. Which is why I'm reclaiming it for myself and in particular my son, from the Bonser's, the sky Tv's, the railway police, the hitleresque stewards, the miserable ticket shop attendants, the plastic seats, the over-priced junk-food, the goal-celebration music, etc etc etc.

In fact that's just reminded me, today's a match-day! Yipee!!! Pass the woodbines round the terraces.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I don't like the way football is going, I don't like the way Walsall FC is going, and I don't like the way this messageboard is going!

No change, no change and no change!

Why don't you play with your child/children, spend more time with your wife/partner or change jobs, it would be more benificial to you than banging your trumpet on here?

Reading your posts and the replies reminds me of a woodlice. Apparently, they[your posts] always react in the opposite direction to any stimulus[replies] and move faster[increase in number] as they[you] heat up. Further observations; there are always too many 'I's' in your posts, try to introduce some other interesting comments, ie the weather always a good one if your stuck or perhaps you could mention that there is a hidden message in your posts which would lead us to a pot of gold chips. What about mentioning a pet or more tales of that one legged Kosovan grenade chucker?

See you on the Yeovil preview thread for the craik or if you like I can visit the Whitley Bay web site forum thing and join in the real banter.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Jabo's goal showed why he's a threat - big and bustley. There was a sense of inevitability that Northampton would get caught on the break trying to get the equaliser. Ibehre showed great composure for the finish, mind.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:45 am

Cully wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:I don't like the way football is going, I don't like the way Walsall FC is going, and I don't like the way this messageboard is going!

No change, no change and no change!

Why don't you play with your child/children, spend more time with your wife/partner or change jobs, it would be more benificial to you than banging your trumpet on here?

Reading your posts and the replies reminds me of a woodlice. Apparently, they[your posts] always react in the opposite direction to any stimulus[replies] and move faster[increase in number] as they[you] heat up. Further observations; there are always too many 'I's' in your posts, try to introduce some other interesting comments, ie the weather always a good one if your stuck or perhaps you could mention that there is a hidden message in your posts which would lead us to a pot of gold chips. What about mentioning a pet or more tales of that one legged Kosovan grenade chucker?

See you on the Yeovil preview thread for the craik or if you like I can visit the Whitley Bay web site forum thing and join in the real banter.

Cully, I spend all day with my partner as we run a business together, and are very happy ta very much. A Job?? Oh yes I remember those horrible things. Self-employmet is great, you can organise your time around family and interests and constantly learn new skills and develop yourself, you never get bored and never stop learning. That reminds me, did you manage to outsmart the washing machine the other day?

Here's a revolutionary concept for you, why don't you talk about Walsall, or even just football on a football messageboard instead of making strange judgements about people's personal lives, you seem to harbour a creepy fascination with other posters' relationhips and circumstances, and for some reason have happened by UTS as a means of relief. There are other messageboards for people like you, and even an off-topic section of this board for you to indulge yourself.

Also, as I'm sure Exile would point out, there is no such thing as "a woodlice", its woodlouse.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04 am

Cully - there is no such thing as a "woodlice", its a woodlouse.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:11 am

Exile wrote:Cully - there is no such thing as a "woodlice", its a woodlouse.

And the plural is woodlices :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season