Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 14/2/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 14/2/09.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 am

redalways wrote:The crowds will not come back until we are consistently winning. Some who were out shopping or whatever, this afternoon may not even be aware of the consistent improvement each game since CH and MO took over.

We need to be patient, even with Palmer. It appears that apart from Deeney, improvement is being seen in Bradley and Smith. We now have competition for places, with even Gilmartin a possible starter this afternoon.

Forget about the play-offs, but lets keep winning at home and drawing or better away. From just outside the top six, we will be in a strong position to add to the squad in the summer and put in a real challenge next year.

Well done Jeff for these two appointments (even if you are still the rent-man). From Conference possibilities to promotion hopefuls, with only one loan signing - really good to have our Saddlers back. Now which way is it to the Banks' ...

As a stay away I'd be happy to come back now, and have been since Mullen was sacked and the new management team were brought in. The problem is I've got into other habits now and most weekends coming up are already booked (mainly with rugby).

That's part of the problem with Bonser's eff off attitude, people get into other habits and it is much harder to get them back.

redalways

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:18 am

Fans are only going to go back when their friends start saying how well we have played and that they should go to the next game. Alternatively, fans might see in the press in a few weeks time that we haven't lost for several games and that we are surprisingly closer to the play-offs than they may be aware.

I hope we do not reach the play-offs this year, because the squad is not strong enough and we need to go up from a position of real strength if we are to stay up. Nevertheless, now is the time that the WFC marketing department gets itself geared up.

Anyone now if it exists?

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 am

The first time too that I have seen the team under the new regime. The improvement in a number of players is obvious. Deeney has added touch and positioning, and confidence, to his workrate and bravery. He is now looking in the best form of his career, and a real threat at this level. Smith played in the way he promised he would two years ago. Zaaboub, of course, is effectively a new signing, and the most exciting player on the pitch. Palmer, frankly, is still woeful - if anything he has got worse. I'm sure if we had more cover at central defence he would be pushed out of the team. And we still lack real attacking creativity or intent in the centre of midfield - on a number of occasions today Colchester's ranks parted like the Red Sea only for our midfield, on the ball, to continue heads down, running or passing sideways, instead of pressing forward into space.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:02 am

redalways wrote:We need to be patient, even with Palmer. It appears that apart from Deeney, improvement is being seen in Bradley and Smith. We now have competition for places, with even Gilmartin a possible starter this afternoon.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that.
Palmer was absolutely awful today, just as he was under Mullen. People will continue to argue that he's not a right back, but I'll say that he rarely shows anything that I'd consider to match League One standard football.

Deeney has definitely improved. He's resumed the sort of play which saw him score regularly for the reserves before he was given such a prematurely extended stint in the first team. He continues to have significant faults in his play, but that's to be expected. As long as he's scoring goals and remaining confident, we can handle that.

As for Bradley. Anonymous. That's all I can say.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:36 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Well, if ever anyone wanted a definition of 'routine 2-0 win, today was just about that.

There was little between the two sides early on, as neither side seemed particularly composed on the ball. The ball was played in the air far too much by both sides and I feared that would work in their favour with Clive Platt giving Gerrard a really tough time.
We also had our finger hovering over the self destruct button as we gifted them two really good chances. Palmer's defending which allowed his man to get a chance one-on-one with Ince was absolutely shocking. I know he's supposedly not a defender, but it was embarassing just how easy he conceded the chance. Thankfully Ince came to the rescue, as he did again shortly afterwards.

Once we got into the game and started trying to get our foot on the ball, we looked a lot better. Having barely touched the ball for the first 15 minutes or so, Zaaboub began to look dangerous, which is key to the way we're playing at the moment.
Hughes smashed a shot which was met by an absolutely outstanding save by Super Jim, who pushed it onto the post.....naturally.
Then, from their free kick inside our half, we defended well and broke forward with such pace that we just ripped them open. Nicholls spotted Zaaboub in space at the back post and his cross-shot was turned in by Ricketts. Another very well-crafted goal.
They showed why they are where they are in the league - Yeates in particular contributed to them looking pretty handy going forward, but they looked really dodgy at the back. Our second goal proved that - a routine knock to the back post again allowed Rickett's header to tee up Deeney's, which looped over the midget they had between the sticks. :D

In terms of the second half, it was just a case of seeing the result through. Smith did really well at the back alongside Gerrard, and Hughes gave a typically mature performance. He never does the spectacular, but we definitely look more organised and solid when he plays. Zaaboub continued to look a real threat down our left, which is definitely where the majority of our attacking threat comes from.
I can't help but wonder how much better we'd be at the back with a half decent replacement for Palmer. The guy is a complete disaster waiting to happen I'm afraid. Had they had their shooting boots on, we would have lost today as a direct result of his mistakes. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Overall, things are starting to loook bright again. In our four strikers, we have enough threat to bother anyone. Ricketts is one of the best players in the league when he's in the right frame of mind, Deeney is scoring goals, and Williams gives us something different in that he can hold the ball up as well as go past players. Had we tightened things up at the back and changed the management earlier in the season, I'd like to think we'd be challenging for a playoff place.

What Rob said, couldnt agree more with the palmer bit, disaster waiting to happen, couldnt describe him better if you tried!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:16 am

redalways wrote:Nevertheless, now is the time that the WFC marketing department gets itself geared up.

Anyone know if it exists?

"Know if it exists????" ** snigger ** - I do like your sense of humour, Redalways :mrgreen:

Apparently, there was a problem at half-time, forcing fans (that's 'paying customers', please note, Jeff & Roy) to make a very long detour to get from their seats in Text999OAP stand to the Pension Fund Suite. Cyclo's in-laws (life-long season-ticket holders) were so disgusted that I believe that they are unlikely to renew their season tickets as this was the 'final straw' for them. Perhaps Cyclo could supply the details?

In any event, yet another p.r. triumph for WFC. Is there another football club that so consistently shoots itself in the foot as WFC?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 am

PJD wrote:As a stay away I'd be happy to come back now, and have been since Mullen was sacked and the new management team were brought in. The problem is I've got into other habits now and most weekends coming up are already booked (mainly with rugby).

That's part of the problem with Bonser's eff off attitude, people get into other habits and it is much harder to get them back.

If it would tip the balance, I will buy you a bag of 'Mexican Chilli McCoys' if you come back. Or 'Traditional Mature Cheddar' if that's your poison. On a cold, winter's day, teh chilli option has the edge for me, but I'd understand an alternative choice.

Bet they don't even sell McCoys at yer laa-di-daa rugby. All canapes and paninis, I'll wager.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:15 am

Oh, as for the match, I think WFC_Rob has it spot on. The only thing I'd add is the contrast between our two flanks. On the left, with Boertien and Zaaboub, we have two classy, intelligent players who can play more than a bit and look both solid and creative at the same time. On more than one occasion, they left Colchester players on their backsides just with a drop of the shoulder, and are able to play their way out of a difficult position. Especially as Hughes and Ricketts spent time out there to offer extra options infield or up front.

By contrast, the right looks very shakey. No wonder Colchester chose to switch teh excellent Mark Yeates (their number 11) onto our right. Palmer is Palmer - no need to say more. Nicholls works hard and created some decent stuff, but he doesn't have the intelligence (yet). Second half, an obvious 'give-and-go' with palmer presented itself, but he stopped dead in his tracks. His tackling is often weak, which given the full back he's got to protect is something he should work on. With Bradley inside, and Deeney ahead, there aren't the same options as on the left for him either. If I were CH, it's here I'd look to strengthen.

Special word for Williams too. I like this lad. Works hard, won a bundle of free kicks (and should have been awarded a bundle more), and held teh ball up intelligently when we needed to regain control of the game. Good performance.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 am

very pleasing result , the steady improvement under Hutchings and O,Connor is plain to see .

So pleased for Deeney the lad deserves his praises .

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 am

Pedagogue wrote:Apparently, there was a problem at half-time, forcing fans (that's 'paying customers', please note, Jeff & Roy) to make a very long detour to get from their seats in Text999OAP stand to the Pension Fund Suite. Cyclo's in-laws (life-long season-ticket holders) were so disgusted that I believe that they are unlikely to renew their season tickets as this was the 'final straw' for them. Perhaps Cyclo could supply the details?

I was told that we could not walk along the short section at the back of the OAP stand where the path is narrow due to an extra row of seats. The reason given was "Health and Safety". Now there is no imaginable permanent safety problem with that path so I assumed that perhaps somebody had spilt something - or had eaten one pie too many and vomitted - along there so that we were being diverted down to the pitchside and then back up (not very far really in that stand) for our own good.

Where is Dave Storr to give the definitive answer?

Mirek

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Bernie wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Apparently, there was a problem at half-time, forcing fans (that's 'paying customers', please note, Jeff & Roy) to make a very long detour to get from their seats in Text999OAP stand to the Pension Fund Suite. Cyclo's in-laws (life-long season-ticket holders) were so disgusted that I believe that they are unlikely to renew their season tickets as this was the 'final straw' for them. Perhaps Cyclo could supply the details?

I was told that we could not walk along the short section at the back of the OAP stand where the path is narrow due to an extra row of seats. The reason given was "Health and Safety". Now there is no imaginable permanent safety problem with that path so I assumed that perhaps somebody had spilt something - or had eaten one pie too many and vomitted - along there so that we were being diverted down to the pitchside and then back up (not very far really in that stand) for our own good.

Where is Dave Storr to give the definitive answer?

Reminds me of the match v MK Dons. My uncle had come from Canada for a week and was sitting with sum of the family in the Family stand. Im was a season ticket holder in the TXt 7545454687687857537553678787878754234 stand and just before half time made my way past teh home stand to the fence between the Purple Stand and Family stand and asked if i could talk to my uncle in the stand. "Health and Safety" was the reason given for not allowing one person access to Family stand for 15 minutes.

PC crap, the worlds gone mad

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:06 pm

Good performance from the lads...

Palmer was once again useless, he nearly cost us 2 goals in the opening 20 mins, thankfully Clayton came to the rescue.

Thought Hughes was poor.

Well done to Deeney, is that 6 in 7 now? I think its something to do with us now using the wings properly, we actually get crosses in.

Ref was poor, should have had a penalty for the foul on Deeney in the 2nd half, and for most of the 2nd half he was determined not to give anything our way, until MOC had a rant at him, then miraculously he started awarding us free kicks!

Great to see Jimmy back, wish he'd never left, and I reckon part of him wishes he'd stayed...

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:10 pm

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/02/1 ... 0-verdict/

Is this guy genuinely a professional journo?

Apparently Rhys Weston was "stretched" off the pitch... ouch!

and

"First half goal from Michael Ricketts and Troy Deeney ment..."

Goal... or goals?

ment... or meant?

:roll:

redalways

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Personally I don't care whether Palmer plays or doesn't. I just found it so very strange that every fan who watches him thinks he is a liability, whilst four well qualified coaches have backed him with a regular place all season, assuming that Schofield and O'connor agree(d) with Mullen and Hutchings.

Is it that the budget is so tight that we can not get a bog standard run of the mill full back in on loan? Or do they see something that no one else can? So very strange.

chase saddler

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:07 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Ricketts was different class today. absolutely superb.

The defence were awful until weston off. he had a mare - i don't care where he wants to play - he is a right back.

Palmer is diabolical.

Weston had a mare, what game were you watching, not his best game granted, but not a mare. As I see it part of the problem is Weston is having to cover two positions whilst Palmer goes walkabout. Just hope Weston and Roberts are fit again soon.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:13 pm

chase saddler wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Ricketts was different class today. absolutely superb.

The defence were awful until weston off. he had a mare - i don't care where he wants to play - he is a right back.

Palmer is diabolical.

Weston had a mare, what game were you watching, not his best game granted, but not a mare. As I see it part of the problem is Weston is having to cover two positions whilst Palmer goes walkabout. Just hope Weston and Roberts are fit again soon.

I was watching the game where weston had a mare. three times he was beaten by balls over the top, and his positonal play was poor.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:43 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
chase saddler wrote:

Palmer is diabolical.

I was watching the game where weston had a mare. three times he was beaten by balls over the top, and his positonal play was poor.

As you say, he's not a centre half. But he's been doing a decent job for a full back filling in there. Probably our best option until Roberts is fit again (if that ever happens) - although Smith's performance on Saturday against an awkward front two for Colchester (why were their fans getting on Platt's back so much?) was encouraging.
Last edited by Plastic Hawk on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 am

chase saddler wrote:

Palmer is diabolical.

It's not that Palmer goes walkabout. Saying he's gone walkabout is suggesting he's gone off on this mazy run upfield, only to lose the ball and to find himself out of position. In fact, all Palmer ever does when he gets the ball is swing his right leg at it and launch it forward.

Defensively he's in the right 'area', where a right back should be, but he never gets tight, is often the wrong side of his man, can tackle for toffee, is scared to head the ball and he's slow and weak.

Weston and Nicholls do have to cover for him a lot, he is a liability, but lets not get it in to our head he's a liability in the same way Jose Boswinga is a liability.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
chase saddler wrote:

Palmer is diabolical.

As you say, he's not a centre half. But he's been doing a decent job for a full back filling in there. Probably our best option until Roberts is fit again (if that ever happens) - although Smith's performance on Saturday against an awkward front two for Colchester (why were there fans getting on Platt's back so much?) was encouraging.

I agree, and think that Smith deserves extra praise for the way he came into the game as a substitute and won pretty much every header he had to deal with. As I said at the game, had they known a bit more about his ability, they'd have probably kept the ball on the floor where he's not the best, but he did exactly what was required of him on Saturday.

As for Weston, I'm not sure as he really was that bad on Saturday before he went off. Of the two one-on-ones they had in the early stages of the game, the first one was certainly Palmer's fault completely. The second one might have been a bit disappointing from Weston's point of view, but I think he's been class up to now in that position, so a slight mishap was about due.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:07 pm

King Crimson wrote:
PJD wrote:As a stay away I'd be happy to come back now, and have been since Mullen was sacked and the new management team were brought in. The problem is I've got into other habits now and most weekends coming up are already booked (mainly with rugby).

If it would tip the balance, I will buy you a bag of 'Mexican Chilli McCoys' if you come back. Or 'Traditional Mature Cheddar' if that's your poison. On a cold, winter's day, teh chilli option has the edge for me, but I'd understand an alternative choice.

Bet they don't even sell McCoys at yer laa-di-daa rugby. All canapes and paninis, I'll wager.

It would have to be Salt & Vinegar McCoys! I usually have a portion of chips and a couple of pints in the car park after the game, watching the next match on the big screen by the Land Rover display, but there are so many food outlets to choose from - foot long hot dogs, cornish pasty company and one I spotted at the England Italy game that had me scratching my head "The Australian Pie Company" - as if we don't know how to make pies in England!

But seriously, having perused the fixtures and compared with the two trips to Twickenham and one to Murrayfield I am making, it will be 28th March before I could get to a game at Bonks's. As I said at the time it wasn't just a choice between Walsall, Luton, Bournemouth or Rotherham - shame our local press and media didn't want to challenge JB on his little tirade (or anything else for that matter).

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:33 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
chase saddler wrote:

Palmer is diabolical.

It's not that Palmer goes walkabout. Saying he's gone walkabout is suggesting he's gone off on this mazy run upfield, only to lose the ball and to find himself out of position. In fact, all Palmer ever does when he gets the ball is swing his right leg at it and launch it forward.

Defensively he's in the right 'area', where a right back should be, but he never gets tight, is often the wrong side of his man, can tackle for toffee, is scared to head the ball and he's slow and weak.

Weston and Nicholls do have to cover for him a lot, he is a liability, but lets not get it in to our head he's a liability in the same way Jose Boswinga is a liability.

This is unfair he can launch the ball with his left foot aswell.
I studied him on saturday and he never looks up before hoofing,just concentrates on altitude
and velocity,on the other side of the park Boerten and Zabboob show how things should be done.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:40 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Thought Hughes was poor.

I have to admit, I half expected more people to say the same as they do every time Hughes plays.
We're a much better side with Hughes than without him and that was shown once again on Saturday. He keeps things ticking over, makes sure we have that bit of composure in midfield and more often than not provides a link for the fullbacks to play through.

I'd like to think we'll see more from him in the coming weeks as he gets more training and match action under his belt, but far from being poor, I actually thought he was one of our better players on Saturday.
You can usually notice when Hughes is playing through the fact that we don't concede stupidly late goals as the younger players' concentration goes.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

I have to admit, I half expected more people to say the same as they do every time Hughes plays.
We're a much better side with Hughes than without him and that was shown once again on Saturday. He keeps things ticking over, makes sure we have that bit of composure in midfield and more often than not provides a link for the fullbacks to play through.

I'd like to think we'll see more from him in the coming weeks as he gets more training and match action under his belt, but far from being poor, I actually thought he was one of our better players on Saturday.
You can usually notice when Hughes is playing through the fact that we don't concede stupidly late goals as the younger players' concentration goes.

I'd have thought the same, but whenever he's had a run in the team and begun to get fit, he picks up an injury, this is the problem with injury prone
players.

Look at Roberts, he was coming in to some good form, as his fitness grew, then he's crocked again. Expect the same to happen again with Hughes.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:30 pm

PJD wrote:"The Australian Pie Company" - as if we don't know how to make pies in England!

Don't go there! The Aussies know nothing at all about making good pies. Meat content next to zero, and they keep thinking that they have to add ketchup for flavour rather than let the pie stand in it's own. I was going to say 'stand on it's own two feet', but they'd be in the pie already, given that 'meat' is nameless, so your beef pie is full of mutton and the lamb one full of old dairy cow mince and a bit of horse. If it had been the NZ Pie Company, however, I'd have given it a ringing endorsement!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:31 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I'd have thought the same, but whenever he's had a run in the team and begun to get fit, he picks up an injury, this is the problem with injury prone
players.

Look at Roberts, he was coming in to some good form, as his fitness grew, then he's crocked again. Expect the same to happen again with Hughes.

It's a good job we've got other fit players who play most games like Palmer then. :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:56 am

philthesaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I'd have thought the same, but whenever he's had a run in the team and begun to get fit, he picks up an injury, this is the problem with injury prone
players.

So are you admitting that you didn't give his performance on Saturday the crrdit it deserved because you're more bothered about him being injury prone?

I think people should give credit where it's due. He played the full 90 minutes on Saturday, so any criticisms regarding his injury record are irrelevant to this discussion.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:33 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

players.

So are you admitting that you didn't give his performance on Saturday the crrdit it deserved because you're more bothered about him being injury prone?

I think people should give credit where it's due. He played the full 90 minutes on Saturday, so any criticisms regarding his injury record are irrelevant to this discussion.

No, personally I dont think his performance was all that good, especially early on.

He will improve though steadily as he gets his fitness back, but what I was saying is that he will only get injured again, so I'm not going to rave about him.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 am

A good 2-0 win and only 87 posts on the match thread? Some people only come on here to have a moan. :mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:50 am

Exile wrote:A good 2-0 win and only 87 posts on the match thread? Some people only come on here to have a moan. :mrgreen:

Ah, but you must look at that as a percentage of the home element of the attendance. :D

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Exile wrote:A good 2-0 win and only 87 posts on the match thread? Some people only come on here to have a moan. :mrgreen:

Thing is though Exy, you Twittered on so effectively
that it left little to comment on.

My computer was running so slow, that you had the relative
incidents posted a good thirty seconds before they appeared to happen.

I'd like to thank you for a job well done. If this is to be an ongoing effort,
then I think that we stay-aways could ditch Sad-world.

Having said that, for as little as seventy pence per broadcast, it
represents, for me, real value for money.

Once again, thanks Exy.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season