Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 7/2/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
mel58
UTS Veteran

Re: Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 7/2/09.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:14 am

All over them for the first 15 minutes yesterday - Deeney's finish from Zaaboub's cross was excellent - but from then until the last 15 we faded and it was a pretty even game between two similar teams, who do some things well but are lacking in other areas. Williams' header from Nicholls' cross demonstrated he has the potential to give us more presence in the box.
Zaaboub, again, was excellent. He and Deeney seem to have benefited most from Mullen's departure.
I was disappointed with our turn-out ( I think the myth that it's always cold and freezing in the North-East, coupled with the weather we've experienced this week, put a lot of people off from even considering the journey) but it's likely there will be even less of us at Brunton Park on Tuesday (if it's on).
I think Hutchings and O'Connor have made a difference, and I'm confident we can stay up, which I wasn't under Mullen's management. Whether we will be able to put in a 'serious challenge for promotion' next year is another matter.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:34 am

Zabouub is playing up to his potential, we all know he can play as we've seen himn play for swindon often enough and play well.

Nice too see a player run at the full backs, and do it consistently, which is something we havent had since Kevin Harper.

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Good point and more importantly stop the run of away defeats, just saw the goals on the championship great finish by deeney, and another assist for zaaboub, defending looked shambolic though, and im not sure what you can do when two individual mistakes cost you two points, put fair play to the lads for picking themselves up and getting an equaliser.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Who was supposed to be marking Gerrard when he scored their goal, He was given the freedom of the park. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Quite pleased with that. 3 points would have been nice, but scoring two away from home and hanging in there long enough to rescue a point is fantastic.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:35 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Who was supposed to be marking Gerrard when he scored their goal, He was given the freedom of the park. :wink:

It was a good finish aswell, top corner. Unstoppable! :wink:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

If you look on virgin media you can see Alex put his head in his hands when Gerrard slices in :lol: He was right behind the goal with Harry sitting behind

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:49 pm

I'd read that the own goal was bad, but never imagined it to be THAT bad. :shock:
Gerrard's got his place firmly secured on all the Football gaffes DVD's from this point onwards.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:58 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I'd read that the own goal was bad, but never imagined it to be THAT bad. :shock:
Gerrard's got his place firmly secured on all the Football gaffes DVD's from this point onwards.

Amazingly, it might actually be bad enough that Anthony won't be going anywhere in the summer window either now. If he's linked with a Championship side then the first thing that'll happen is that that video clip will appear on every single one of their fan sites. The inevitable backlash and ridicule will be enough to make many of them think twice.

Morty
Glitterati

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:39 pm

King Crimson wrote:Oh, and a hearty 'well done' to those lads and lasses who went.

Thank you! - it was a long, difficult, arduous (sp?) journey ( of 35 minutes!):lol:

Considering that the only other match I've seen this season was the humiliation against MK Dons, it was a much improved performance - even with the "contribution" of Gerrard and Ince! :oops:

I do worry that at times we become too one-dimensional, and it becomes "pass along defence, pass along defence....hoof".

Talking to a Poolie fan afterwards and they were glad that Jabo went off after an hour - which must be good :)

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:08 am

Morty wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Oh, and a hearty 'well done' to those lads and lasses who went.

Thank you! - it was a long, difficult, arduous (sp?) journey ( of 35 minutes!):lol:

Considering that the only other match I've seen this season was the humiliation against MK Dons, it was a much improved performance - even with the "contribution" of Gerrard and Ince! :oops:

I do worry that at times we become too one-dimensional, and it becomes "pass along defence, pass along defence....hoof".

Talking to a Poolie fan afterwards and they were glad that Jabo went off after an hour - which must be good
:)

Odd, considering his replacement scored the equaliser!

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season