Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leicester City (H) League 1 Tuesday 3/2/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Re: Leicester City (H) League 1 Tuesday 3/2/09.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 am

Cueball wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:
Delves Saddler wrote:Just got in, I'm sorry and others may disagree with me but i felt that was a completely gutless performance. I know there is no shame in losing to a much better team but seriously, I couldn't see a single player that seemed interested at all bar Zaaboub, who tried and tried to get the ball forward and make positive runs, but no-one helped him, so he ended up having to go from side to side, which allowed the Leicester players time to get back. After the goal we looked slightly interested in giving it a go, but by then it was far too late. I'm just shocked to see that 3 days ago we were closing down and whole heartedly outplaying a team that is supposedly of similar quality. It even seemed like Jabo and Deeney couldn't be bothered, saying that they still worked harder than anyone else. I'm quite frankly shocked at the massive difference in performances after such a short space of time, it is quite unbelievable. I am absolutely gutted and I hope Hutchings and O'Connor give them the roasting they deserve because it was just poor tonight.

Totally agree. I think Zaaboub, Boertien and Palmer were our best players, Nicholls was dreadful, rip up his contract along with Deeneys.
Its back to reality now for us, we've got 2 tough games against Hartlepool and Colchester, these wont be easy at all! Im going for a total of 1 point from our next 2 games, thatll come against Hartlepool, im dreading the visit of Colchester, they're on form. We could be down there after these 2 games.

One question. Were you at the Leeds game? :roll:

So? Clearly obvious a 1 off performance, we get them once in awhile, maybe you just turned up to the Leeds game so you wont remember the Stockport game, another 1 off game we were up for. We wont have many more over this season.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am

We have now had four matches with Chris Hutchings and Martin O'Connor in charge but they are still playing Nicholls and Deeney on the wing. How long is it going to be for they realise that neither of them is any good at all in that position? If we have nobody else on the books who can play right midfield (apart from Palmer?) then we should have looked for someone on loan for that position instead of signing another reserve striker.

We have in our squad two first choice strikers - Ibhere and Ricketts - and two reserve strikers - Deeney and Nicholls - one of whom has done enough recently to merit a decent run in that position. Our key priority in the transfer window was not to sign another reserve striker. Now that Williams has arrived then we should take a winger on loan and let Nicholls go somewhere else on loan where he can get a start as a striker.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Havind read a lot of posts above, it does worry me that the word gutless is used after 4 games with a new management team.
Why is this? If this is correct I think it is very worrying.
By the sounds Leicester are miles better than anyone else in the league. But to score 4 goals away from home, you have still got to worry.
In their previous 10 away matches they have scored - 2,2,1,1,2,2,2,0,2,1.
Dont people think its a tad bit worrying they score double against us then they have against the other 10 teams they have played?
I certainly do.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:19 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Havind read a lot of posts above, it does worry me that the word gutless is used after 4 games with a new management team.
By the sounds Leicester are miles better than anyone else in the league. But to score 4 goals away from home, you have still got to worry.
Dont people think its a tad bit worrying they score double against us then they have against the other 10 teams they have played?
I certainly do.

Exactly, its not that we lost, pretty obvious we would lose against a team 10 points clear at the top, but in the manner in which we lost, we didnt try..and conceeded 4 goals..
Ince wasnt on form and if it wasnt for him in many of our matches we would of let in double the amount so thats probably why, if we didnt have Incey between the sticks we would probably be letting in 4 every other week.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:33 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Havind read a lot of posts above, it does worry me that the word gutless is used after 4 games with a new management team.
I certainly do.

Exactly, its not that we lost, pretty obvious we would lose against a team 10 points clear at the top, but in the manner in which we lost, we didnt try..and conceeded 4 goals..
Ince wasnt on form and if it wasnt for him in many of our matches we would of let in double the amount so thats probably why, if we didnt have Incey between the sticks we would probably be letting in 4 every other week.

Couldn't disagree more - it had nothing to do with trying or not trying and everything to do with quality. They had it in bucketloads. Every time one of their players had the ball, he had three or four options, we had none. Their movement, crisp passing and speed would have been too much for any side in this Division - including Leeds. Hands up, couldn't criticise, they were just a lot, lot better.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:33 pm

agreed Neil

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:44 pm

There was nothing at all wrong with our effort last night. We gave it everything we had but were nowhere near good enough. The gap in class between the two teams was massive.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 pm

oh well, onwards and upwards, have to pick ourselves up for saturday now

NeechezTheSaddler

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 pm

It was disappointing, not only the game but the lack of support for our team and the people that left 5 minutes into the second half.

But we were playing a team who have proven they are far too good for this league and it showed, there wasn't one position on the pitch that they didn't have a better player than us, we have to accept that. I'm not saying we should roll over and let any team better than us beat us but today no matter how hard the players worked we would have needed a bit of luck to at least draw. That wasn't the case on saturday, Leeds may be a big club, but there team wasn't spectacular (apart from maybe the strikeforce on paper) and we battled in that game and that's the reason we got something, but last night battling was simply never going to be good enough they had players that had enough ability and quality to overcome a hardworking Walsall side.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:58 pm

NeechezTheSaddler wrote:It was disappointing, not only the game but the lack of support for our team and the people that left 5 minutes into the second half.

But we were playing a team who have proven they are far too good for this league and it showed, there wasn't one position on the pitch that they didn't have a better player than us, we have to accept that. I'm not saying we should roll over and let any team better than us beat us but today no matter how hard the players worked we would have needed a bit of luck to at least draw. That wasn't the case on saturday, Leeds may be a big club, but there team wasn't spectacular (apart from maybe the strikeforce on paper) and we battled in that game and that's the reason we got something, but last night battling was simply never going to be good enough they had players that had enough ability and quality to overcome a hardworking Walsall side.

I didnt mind people leaving, couldnt exactly moan, 4-0 down in the freezing cold. Better things to do! Although I did stay.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Bernie wrote:We have now had four matches with Chris Hutchings and Martin O'Connor in charge but they are still playing Nicholls and Deeney on the wing. How long is it going to be for they realise that neither of them is any good at all in that position? If we have nobody else on the books who can play right midfield (apart from Palmer?) then we should have looked for someone on loan for that position instead of signing another reserve striker.

We have in our squad two first choice strikers - Ibhere and Ricketts - and two reserve strikers - Deeney and Nicholls - one of whom has done enough recently to merit a decent run in that position. Our key priority in the transfer window was not to sign another reserve striker. Now that Williams has arrived then we should take a winger on loan and let Nicholls go somewhere else on loan where he can get a start as a striker.

I agree.
We haven't seen anything come down our right in terms of any kind of attacking threat for weeks. Whilst I genuinely feel that with everyone fit, Palmer won't be playing at right back any more, as far as Nicholls is concerned, we don't have anyone else to replace him.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:
I certainly do.

Couldn't disagree more - it had nothing to do with trying or not trying and everything to do with quality. They had it in bucketloads. Every time one of their players had the ball, he had three or four options, we had none. Their movement, crisp passing and speed would have been too much for any side in this Division - including Leeds. Hands up, couldn't criticise, they were just a lot, lot better.

You dont get it do you Neil?
Leicester scored 2 against Northampton, Yeovil, Carlise, Swindon and Brighton in last 10 away games.
All these teams are below Walsall in Division 1.
So how come suddenly Leicester are that good they can score 4 against Walsall?
Oh sorry, I forgot, the players are tired from playing a game 3 days earlier!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:26 am

You don't get it - primarily because you weren't there! They scored four, yes, but that was down to the brilliance of their finishing. Ince did not have more than a handful of saves to make other than the goals. It wasn't them bombarding the goal with shots, just great possession football. On another day, they might only have got a couple for exactly the same amount of effort. They are a League above this Division.

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:16 am

even their fans say its the best they played all season

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:05 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:You don't get it - primarily because you weren't there! They scored four, yes, but that was down to the brilliance of their finishing. Ince did not have more than a handful of saves to make other than the goals. It wasn't them bombarding the goal with shots, just great possession football. On another day, they might only have got a couple for exactly the same amount of effort. They are a League above this Division.

Exactly.
When you have such a high level of ability in your team that you can play neat, one-touch football in and around the penalty area, the chances you create are going to be so clear cut that you don't need many to win a game. That was certainly the case on Tuesday night.
We were simply outclassed on the night by a team full of confidence and with a great deal of Premier League, International and Championship experience. It's a shame that there are still people who want to pick faults with the way we played. Had Mullen been in charge and played to his usual clueless hoof-the-ball tactics, we'd have been beaten by more than a 3 goal margin.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:47 am

Sheff, I know you love your FACTS so please carry out some simple analysis of the respective squads

Please read the reports and views that people that went to the game

Also consider this with regards goals conceded, and I repeat, a Leicester fan I know has said thats easily the best they have played

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 pm

The players all tried their best and made every effort on Tuesday but they were beaten by a team who had the ability to keep the ball by playing football. Our lads were chasing shadows for much of the night. When we did win the ball, anything less than a perfect pass was easily dealt with.

This is not making excuses for the players - quite the opposite. If they had more ability but were not trying then at least we would have some hope that Hutchings and O'Connor might get more out of them. Unless all our injured players can turn out much more frequently I still think that there is a serious risk of relegation.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 pm

saddlerken wrote:Sheff, I know you love your FACTS so please carry out some simple analysis of the respective squads

Please read the reports and views that people that went to the game

Also consider this with regards goals conceded, and I repeat, a Leicester fan I know has said thats easily the best they have played

Perhaps you could analyise what I have said.
I have never disputed the fact that Leicester are the best team in Division 1 by a country mile, as the league table correctly suggests.
Their squad is a mile better than ours, I have never disputed this also.

What I do dispute is the average goals Leicester score away from home and then the number they got when they played us.
Double if you look at it statistically.

Then a number of people from the board say the performance was gutless. A number of people ridiculously suggest it was because we played Leeds on Saturday and put so much effort in.

To finish -
YES Leicester are best team in division
YES Leciesters squad is miles better than Walsalls
NO Leicester should not have scored 4 against Walsall if previous statistical anaylsis was looked into.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:59 pm

The best they have played!

They played better than the last few games, ergo, they are likely to score more goals, no?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:04 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:NO Leicester should not have scored 4 against Walsall if previous statistical anaylsis was looked into.

Sheff, seriously now, what are you on about?
Football matches are won and lost by the manner in which 2 teams compete on a given day, NOT on the basis of previous statistical evidence.

I'm not going to suggest that you don't comment on matches you haven't been to, but at least take a decent look at some of the more respectable posters on here and their accounts of the game.
Some people will always regard a convincing defeat as gutless and poor regardless. Others have enough about them to realise that we were well beaten by an outstanding League One team despite sticking to our guns.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Sheff, you really are a thicket, and others who think they performance was gutless.

There was plenty of effort, but unfortunately Leicester were a far better side, their movement and passing was something rarely seen at this level. It's just one of those games unfortunately that happens now and then. I think it was Orient did the same to us last season.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:44 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:NO Leicester should not have scored 4 against Walsall if previous statistical anaylsis was looked into.

Football matches are won and lost by the manner in which 2 teams compete on a given day, NOT on the basis of previous statistical evidence.

I'm not going to suggest that you don't comment on matches you haven't been to, but at least take a decent look at some of the more respectable posters on here and their accounts of the game.
Some people will always regard a convincing defeat as gutless and poor regardless. Others have enough about them to realise that we were well beaten by an outstanding League One team despite sticking to our guns.

I am on about these figures of Leicesters last 10 away games goals scored - 2,2,1,1,2,2,2,0,2,1.
As you can see the most they have scored in any 1 match is 2.
But against us it was 4.
So I am simply suggesting either Leicester played out their skin or we were hopeless.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Sheff, you really are a thicket, and others who think they performance was gutless.

There was plenty of effort, but unfortunately Leicester were a far better side, their movement and passing was something rarely seen at this level. It's just one of those games unfortunately that happens now and then. I think it was Orient did the same to us last season.

Oh, I see.
The logic of your argument is that the people who dont agree with you are thickets?
Just about sums up what a complete thicket you are really doesnt it?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:19 pm

Magic you really are a thicket not even Man Unt could score 1,1,1,2,1,1,0,1,0,1,1,away from home and then score 5 in the prem.

or could they :?: but then it was only against 10 man Baggies :mrgreen:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:22 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Sheff, you really are a thicket, and others who think they performance was gutless.

Oh, I see.
The logic of your argument is that the people who dont agree with you are thickets?

Yep that's right Sheff. Unfortunately some arrogant people on here don't accept/respect other posters right to an opinion if it doesn't happen to agree with their own opinion.
Last edited by Asps on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Asps wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Oh, I see.

Yep that's right Sheff. Unfortunately some arrogant people on here don't accept other posters right to an opinion if it doesn't happen to appear with their own opinion.

You got an opinion, you opinionated fool. :? :roll:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:30 pm

clawtheolder wrote:
Asps wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Oh, I see.

Yep that's right Sheff. Unfortunately some arrogant people on here don't accept other posters right to an opinion if it doesn't happen to appear with their own opinion.

Yes, in my opinion that indoor fountain I gave you the other night for your birthday was fantastic :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:47 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I am on about these figures of Leicesters last 10 away games goals scored - 2,2,1,1,2,2,2,0,2,1.
As you can see the most they have scored in any 1 match is 2.
But against us it was 4.
So I am simply suggesting either Leicester played out their skin or we were hopeless.

And if you read the numerous posts directed at you and those others who weren't at the game, you'll see that most us us who went were very very impressed with Leicester. I can't remember a side coming to our place and playing that well for a good few years.
Having read your posts, I think you're clutching at straws to now say that you were merely 'suggesting' that either Leicester played really well or we were awful.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Asps wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:
Asps wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Oh, I see.

Yes, in my opinion that indoor fountain I gave you the other night for your birthday was fantastic :mrgreen:

That indoor fountain is now a outdoor fountain, I fountit in the bin. :mrgreen:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:55 pm

You got an opinion, you opinionated fool. :? :roll:[/quote]

Yes, in my opinion that indoor fountain I gave you the other night for your birthday was fantastic :mrgreen:[/quote]
That indoor fountain is now a outdoor fountain, I fountit in the bin. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Shame that, it would have sat well with your Cappa Di Monte :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season