Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (H) Our Cup Final Saturday 29/01/09

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Re: Leeds United (H) Our Cup Final Saturday 29/01/09

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:02 pm

Really enjoyed it today. Played well, couldn't realy single any one player out for having an exceptional or poor match. Deeney took his goal well from a sublime cross by Zaboub. That's goals in each of his last three games now.

Onwards and upwards

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:06 pm

How sweet was that.!!
Great all round performance.

Let's hope Ant wasn't waving goodbye at the end.

UTS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:13 pm

adjisaddler wrote:attendence- 8920

Adj

And 3,685 away fans. So they didn't outnumber us after all.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:13 pm

Can't say how impressed i was with that-solid throughout and don' think Ince was ever really tested. Particularly impressed with Deeney who showed what a difference it can make if a player is played in right position.

UTS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 pm

Can we play them every week :wink: ?

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:22 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Can we play them every week :wink: ?

No, it was a cup final, remember! I'm looking forward to next year's cup final already...

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 pm

Played them off the park for 90minutes. Superb, no other words for it. We have our Walsall back!

Beckford won't be happy :lol:

Ince - 8 - Bossed his box well, claimed everythink in the air, but never realy troubled. Plus he kept annoying Lee Trundle :p

Palmer - 7 - Solid all afternoon. About time he had a decent game
Weston - 8 - Solid at the back, him and Gerrard never gave any of the Leeds strikers a sniff at goal and won everythink in the air
Gerrard - 8 - Solid at the back, him and Weston never gave any of the Leeds strikers a sniff at goal and won everythink in the air
Boertien - 8 - Great to see him back. Helped solidify the defence. Solid performance. Had Robinson in his pocket

Nicholls - 7 - Dangerous at times, looked sharp and up for it. He also added defensive cover for Palmer when required
Mattis - 8 - Superb, bossed the midfield all game.
Taundry - 8 - Provided midifeld drive. Superb alogn with Mattis at bossing the midfield
Zaaboub - 7 - Looked dangerous on the ball, and a constants threat down the left

Ibehre - 9 - MOTM. Superb all game. The Leeds defenders couldn't handles him
Deeney - 8 -Another good performance from him capped off with a goal. A threat upfront along with Jabo

SUBS
Williams - 6 - Looked like a lost and confused chicken
Sansara - 6 - No time to do anything

A point against leciester and we'll be on the up

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:24 pm

Good game, thought Leeds were very poor today, Beckford having a very bad game. All of our team played well and worked hard.
Bring on Leicescestercestercestershire.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Played

Ibehre - 9 - MOTM. Superb all game. The Leeds defenders couldn't handle him

They could if you class hanging onto his back, grabbing his shirt, wrapping arms around him and going for his legs.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 pm

Now that was A Walsall performance.

The kind of performance that made us proud under Graydon, Dickie Dosh. Where bigger teams get in to Bescot and find it hard work and leave knowing they've been in one hell of a game.

This was missing under Mullen.

The round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes makes football so simple.

Two Left Footers down the left flank.
Center Forwards playing Center Forward rather than out wide.

Simple instructions for the players.
Get the ball, keep the ball.
Put balls in to there penalty box.
Keep moving the ball out wide, create options.

It's the obvious that Hutch and Mart seem to have put to the players and its worked. Simple as.

Probably the most enjoyable game since Leeds last came as after last Christmas the Walsall to be proud of was dismantled by Bonser and Dickie Dosh was left up cack creek.

It's such a simple game.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Brilliant team performance. Zaboob was outstanding. in fact everyone bar none was outstanding. People say Leeds were poor but they were poor because we didn't allow them to play. We were first to most loose balls, we didn't give them time on the ball. Excellent. Robinson was their dangerman for me but even he was reduced to diving and stray passing. If we put that much effort in every game I'll be happy!!! UTS

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:50 pm

GREAT GAME GREAT PERFORMANCE FROM THE BOYS.

special mention to Troy Deeney ive slagged this boy off rotten but today he played really well how he knocked that sliding shot over the bar in the first half is beyond me though but we've got the points now so i dont care.

And for once we actually desereved to win today.

The ref was so one sided he mite as well of worn a blue shirt, 4 mins injury time !?!?!? any time we went near a leeds player he blew his wistle.

Now lets show leicester what were made of tuesday C'MON THE BOYS!!!!!

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Just back - buzzing all the way up the M6.

Thank goodness some people on here don't give the team talk because according to some we needn't have turned up today.

We weren't outnumbered (although I'd have loved even more Leeds fans to have been there to see it), we weren't outsung and the the players representing our club fully deserved their 1-0 victory. Massive performance, great result, great day - it's the sort of day you put up with the dross for and what supporting Walsall FC is all about.

Get In!

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:04 pm

PT wrote:Just back - buzzing all the way up the M6.

Thank goodness some people on here don't give the team talk because according to some we needn't have turned up today.

We weren't outnumbered (although I'd have loved even more Leeds fans to have been there to see it), we weren't outsung and the the players representing our club fully deserved their 1-0 victory. Massive performance, great result, great day - it's the sort of day you put up with the dross for and what supporting Walsall FC is all about.

Get In!

I agree 1000000% brilliant game.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:12 pm

That was the complete opposite of the rubbish we played under Mullen. Today we were a team made up of players playing in their preferred positions, looking to play football the way it should be played. We were organised, committed to everything and played as a team.

The 1-0 result might suggest to the rest of the football world that we were lucky to just sneak it. Whilst we did ride our luck once or twice, we were most definitely the better side. For the first 25 minutes, they barely had a glimmer of a chance, and there were times when we played their midfield out of the game.

The back five were absolutely solid throughout. The confidence Ince had due to the fact that he was playing behind a back four who had some idea how to defend was there for all to see, and surged through the rest of the team. Boertein's return made a massive difference. No more panicked long ball from left back - playing the ball out on the floor helped us keep the pressure on them. His link up play with Zaaboub was impressive at times, particularly in the build up to the goal - that was as good a move as we're likely to see this season.
I think I'd look to keep Weston and Gerrard together at the back because they complement eachother so well. Weston's reading of the game is superb.
Even Palmer had a good game. He lonked up well with both Mattis and Nicholls and generally looked to keep the ball on the floor for a change. I thought he struggled a fair bit towards the end of the game, when they targetted him by constantly giving Robinson the ball, but his first half performance made up for that.

Zaaboub was again a threat. Again he was direct, looking to run at their defence whenever he could. He played just like he used to for Swindon against us and gave Leeds a real awkward time. The cross for the goal having played a one-two with Boertein was top drawer.
For me, Mattis was man of the match. He was here, there and everywhere across the midfield and definitely stifled Delph. I can't help but think he's been following the advice of O'Connor, as that performance was O'Connor-esque. Superb.
I thought Taundry and Nicholls were 'in and out' as far as their involvement was concerned. What they did offer was hard work and a confidence to make themselves available for the ball. That hadn't been evident for the previous few weeks.

Deeney and Ibehre were just a handful. Both held the ball up really well and created a few half chances for themselves. The thing Ibehre really excels at is getting the ball to his feet and bringing the midfielders in to play. He's so big and strong that no defence in League One can handle him when he's on top of his game, as he was today. I thought Deeney looked like he'd run himself into the ground with about 20 minutes to go, but to be fair to him, he kept making himself available for the ball. The confidence he'll have after grabbing the goal today will benefit us greatly.

And how refreshing was it to see not one, but two managers in our dugout really spurring th players on?! Both Hutchings & O'Connor were really involved, which seemed to give the players that extra belief.
If we continue in that vein, we'll be more than alright.

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:20 pm

Smashing. Superb. Brillaint.

I think today was the BEST I've seen us play all season, even better Brighton. Organised, players in the right positions (excluding Palmer, hes a right winger for me) and simple tactics. Its so refreshing to see the midfield actually receive the ball and PASS it on the GROUND. Very much reminded me of how we played under Graydon. I can't wait for Tuesday now! The buzz is back and I really hope the attendences start to lift back up. A special mention for Dwayne Mattis. What a player. He bossed the game today, they hardly had a sniff in midfield because of him.

I'd like to apologise to Troy "Shearer" Deeney. I was wrong about you. You are a professinal footballer and you do deserve to wear the shirt. Long may it continue.

Up the Saddlers :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:27 pm

WFC_Rob is spot on with his report for me (yet again). Mattis outstanding, Boertien excellent, along with Zaaboub (a proper winger), Weston (very assured) and Gerrard (who was back at his best), Ince (confortable), Ibehre (a right handful), Deeney (worked hard all afternoon). Great atmosphere. We did the things we moan about other teams doing: winding the clock down, subs at the end, a bit of aggression and 'bite'. In short, everyone this afternoon - management, players, fans cared totally about getting the result.

I am hoarse but happy.

:D

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:38 pm

Wow! Havent enjoyed a game for ages as much as today. My hands ache from clapping, my throat from shouting and screaming. Have to admit I felt very apprehensive before the start, seeing their fans and knowing how we have been recently, but it was a pleasure to watch.
The team grafted and worked for the whole game, the crowd didnt get out sung by them and we got the points we deserved for that display.
Well done CH and MOC for helping to make that game brill :D

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:50 pm

yep im very pleased with the result , fully justified and deserved. Taundry was the star man for me

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:55 pm

Cracking result - well impressed with that. Well done the lads.

Champions of Europe? They cor get past the Black Country!

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:08 pm

After tuesday's performance at Swindon, I was very apprehensive about today....but it turned out I was so very wrong.

The best team performance I've witnessed in a long time - all the things that are best about supporting the Saddlers were in evidence today.

Ince - A supreme performance. Totally in command.
Palmer - Played very well and though they really worked him in the second half he did a good job. I like his ability to come inside and cover the middle of the defence.
Gerrard - Had his work cut out but produced an honest, no-nonsense display. Some excellent aerial challenges in the second half.
Weston - I always like him playing at centre-back. A great return to the team.
Boertien - I feel that he can sometimes struggle when the opposition work him (a la Palmer) but he was brilliant today. His use of the ball and calmness under pressure were first class. Give him a contract now - he's by far the best left-back we have on the books.
Nicholls - Grafted all afternoon; worked his guts out, always willing to cover for Palmer and chasing across the pitch when the play was breaking on the opposite side.
Mattis - A great display, echoes of what he produced when he first came to us on loan, did all the nasty stuff.
Deeney - Not bad for a brickie! I'm so chuffed for the kid - 3 in 3 inside 8 days. Always looks one step away from collapse but continually got in where it mattered.
Ibehre - Did what he does best and did it for 94 minutes. Received a lot of attention from their defenders but didn't shirk from his task. Worthy winner of both MOTM awards.
Taundry - Much better in midfield than defence. Never gave up and never gave in. Like Mattis, he worked very well for the good of the team.
Zaboub - What can you say; a seeming non-entity who was bound to disappear sooner rather than later he could easily have been MOTM today. Great going forward, crafty and intelligent, he also gave his all for the cause, really getting stuck in.

I don't think we've any chance of the play-offs and, given the fact we'd invest nothing if we did go up, I'm not too sad about that, but, if we maintain the standards we set today then the season can still be enjoyable. Whatever Hutchings and O'Connor did to produce the committed display I witnessed this afternoon I hope they continue in the same manner.

Most astoundingly of all, there was still food on sale after half-time in the kiosk at the far corner of the TXT6446 Stand - just shows, the club can do it when it tries.

I'm really looking forward to Leicester and Hartlepools now - this time last week, I was wondering where our next win was coming from.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Agree with all that has been said about the team's performance. Brilliant. Well earned victory.

The stayaways missed a treat today.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 pm

How good was that? Picking a man of the match was very difficult for me. No complaints with Jabo though, who was at his best - the only way they could handle him was to foul him. Brilliant to see MOC on the touchline shouting instructions and berating the 4th official 8)

Kept expecting a Leeds onslaught and for us to run out of steam, but neither happened. Every player put in a real shift today and it would have been an injustice if we hadn't of won. Great to see/hear an atmosphere back at the ground as well, I'm clearly out of practice because my throat is killing me :lol:

Special mentions for Palmer and Deeney who I have been critical of. Both played really well today, in fact Deeney was transformed 8)

Now let's go Fox hunting!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:40 pm

Superb! If we play like that every game I won't really care if we win, lose or draw. That's all I ask for.

Got to hold my hands up and say that Palmer & Deeney had great games. 3 in 3 for Troy, let's hope this is the start of a run of goals for the lad and 12 months down the line we can't believe we used to doubt him.

Great to see the fans of Europe's biggest team shuffle out the ground in silence :D

More of the same please.

melon

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi

Can't really believe that I am posting here, but I did promise my brother-in-law (you know who you are) that I would register if we won today!

What can I say - the first time in ages that it didn't feel like a real chore to be sitting at a match!

Thanks lads for the feeling!

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:26 pm

Beckford 09 has gone a bit quiet hasnt he, couldnt wait to post when they beat us 3-0 could he!

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:03 am

Great performance today, absoloutley chuffed :D :D

The stayaways must be absoloutley gutted after a performance like that, and to me thats what watching walsall is all about, it does'nt matter about Bonser or Whalley or STM when those 11 players play like they did today and atmosphere was buzzing all game long it makes you proud to support Walsall and im sorry but you stayaways must have a tinge a jealousy after not witnessing that performance.

UTS :D

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 am

Looks like another cup final next season :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:55 am

Over The Moon wrote:Looks like another cup final next season :D

Could Leeds become our new Forest fixture? :mrgreen:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:58 am

Exile wrote:
Over The Moon wrote:Looks like another cup final next season :D

Could Leeds become our new Forest fixture? :mrgreen:

Surely they cant be that generous, we'll have to wait until next season to find out :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season