Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (H) Our Cup Final Saturday 29/01/09

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Re: Leeds United (H) Our Cup Final Saturday 29/01/09

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:30 am

melon wrote:Hi

Can't really believe that I am posting here, but I did promise my brother-in-law (you know who you are) that I would register if we won today!

What can I say - the first time in ages that it didn't feel like a real chore to be sitting at a match!

Thanks lads for the feeling!

Blimey, you have progressed from Ceefax to the internet - congratulations :mrgreen:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:37 am

pco_walsall wrote:Great performance today, absoloutley chuffed :D :D

The stayaways must be absoloutley gutted after a performance like that, and to me thats what watching walsall is all about, it does'nt matter about Bonser or Whalley or STM when those 11 players play like they did today and atmosphere was buzzing all game long it makes you proud to support Walsall and im sorry but you stayaways must have a tinge a jealousy after not witnessing that performance.

UTS :D

Well pco_walsall,i'm a stayaway,and there are no feelings of jealousy at all,dont get carried away mate,1 good performance between Merson,DD,JM and CH&MOC is nothing to write home about,but am glad the small band of regulars were treated to a game that for a change gave you all value for money... :D :

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:36 am

It was such a fine performance yesterday, gave me the great feeling that comes along once in a while as a Walsall fan when for once everything clicks together. That Palmer, Mattis and Deeney all gave (easily) their best performances of the season was great. Jabo got the MOTM from the sponsors and it's easy to see why, but Dwayne Mattis was the key player, giving the kind of display in midfield which is exactly what we've been missing all season. Tuesday will need a similar kind of performance to get anything from the game, but we should be able to take heart from how few chances Leeds were able to create despite their quality up front, which is thanks not only to the back four but of course also the contribution of all the players in front of it, who were disciplined, knew exacly what their jobs were and stuck to the task admirably. It's almost as if they've benefited from some decent coaching for the first time this season.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:32 am

Bristol Fan wrote:Jabo got the MOTM from the sponsors and it's easy to see why, but Dwayne Mattis was the key player, giving the kind of display in midfield which is exactly what we've been missing all season.

Spot on.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 am

Didn't go to the game for obvious reasons , what pleasing is to read we played as a team thats exactly what was lacking under Mullen.

we have our Walsall back.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:20 am

Well I got my prematch post very wrong, and I'm so pleased about it. :D

Great all round performance, and a real joy to behold. And I even managed to miss the goal. It was like a Walsall game of old :lol:

Walked out the ground absolutly buzzing, and I aint done that for a while.

Well done lads.

I also thought the choice of song at full time from Mikey was an inspired choice :D

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 am

and ya all thought i was mad yesterday when i said we'd do em ! I love it when a plan comes together. I've said for a long time, we have the players to do well in this league but have been lacking in leadership. Seems Mart and Hutch have done that, put the fire under their bellies that was needed. Looking forward to the rest of the season now, wish we could start again, it would be so much different :D

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:32 am

Burnside wrote:Now that was A Walsall performance.

The kind of performance that made us proud under Graydon, Dickie Dosh. Where bigger teams get in to Bescot and find it hard work and leave knowing they've been in one hell of a game.

This was missing under Mullen.

The round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes makes football so simple.

Two Left Footers down the left flank.
Center Forwards playing Center Forward rather than out wide.

Simple instructions for the players.
Get the ball, keep the ball.
Put balls in to there penalty box.
Keep moving the ball out wide, create options.

It's the obvious that Hutch and Mart seem to have put to the players and its worked. Simple as.

Probably the most enjoyable game since Leeds last came as after last Christmas the Walsall to be proud of was dismantled by Bonser and Dickie Dosh was left up guano creek.

It's such a simple game.

Excellent post Inspector. Sums up the way I saw it. Whilst I am over the moon at the result I can't help but feel angry that we have wasted those three months of the season where the manager stubbornly played individuals out of position, whilst everyone else with two eyes and a brain could see the problem.

Isn't it great to wake up on a Sunday morning with a sore throat from the shouting, actually looking forward to reading the papers and watching the highlights on TV for a change?

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 am

King Crimson wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:Jabo got the MOTM from the sponsors and it's easy to see why, but Dwayne Mattis was the key player, giving the kind of display in midfield which is exactly what we've been missing all season.

Spot on.

And from me. I thought Mattis was immense and Taundry was not far behind. Whilst you couldn't call the pair of them creative they must have won every 50 - 50 tackle there was.

The reports from the Swindon game were that we didn't have a central midfield at all and I was somewhat worried before the game yesterday. I am still not sure where Mattis found that performance. I guess the question is can he repeat it against Leicester on Tuesday?

Also just watched the Championship and thought Troy did well to get in front of the Leeds defender for the cross from Zabooby and get the goal.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:07 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:Agree with all that has been said about the team's performance. Brilliant. Well earned victory.

The stayaways missed a treat today.

Did we? :wink:

sid swifty wrote:

The stayaways must be absoloutley gutted after a performance like that, and to me thats what watching walsall is all about, it does'nt matter about Bonser or Whalley or STM when those 11 players play like they did today and atmosphere was buzzing all game long it makes you proud to support Walsall and im sorry but you stayaways must have a tinge a jealousy after not witnessing that performance.

Well pco_walsall,i'm a stayaway,and there are no feelings of jealousy at all,dont get carried away mate,1 good performance between Merson,DD,JM and CH&MOC is nothing to write home about,but am glad the small band of regulars were treated to a game that for a change gave you all value for money... :D :

Excellent value for money. Couldn't be better. 8)

BEIRLYND

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Just want to add my congratulations to the team and management. Great performance, really pleased for Deeney. A few more performances like that and I may well renew my season ticket. :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:39 pm

A highly significant win for other reasons too. If we had lost we would now be 18th and looking down towards the relegation places rather than sitting in 12th place.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:13 pm

ye i saw that .. its very tight in the lower half so now we need to build on this if we want to stay away from danger

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Well we won the cup final so does this mean we get into Europe ?

Looking forward to playing AC Milan,Ajax etc :D

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 am

i think it's the first time i saw them play great football, very high defense so Leeds could not come in their own play, sollid defence, ball going quick and over the ground,.... Had the chance to congratulate Martin O'Connor and Ant Gerrard!!! Great game, great result, dying to come again but won't be vs Leicester :?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:27 am

Only just getting online this morning, so havent been ableings to post my views.

Firstly, can I just say how great it was to see a left back at left back! Welcome back Paul Boertien!

What an excellent performance, hard working, with bite and agression.

Troy Deeney gets a special mention for me, I don't know what Chris Hutchings is injecting him with (joke) but what ever it is, it's working. Deeney was excellent on Saturday, make no bones about it, he was my man of the man. He won balls in the air, he controlled the ball well, he laid it off well, his movement was good, and his goal was an excellent, excellent strikers goal, great movement across his man to connect with a great cross. Well done Troy.

We were talking about Troy at half time, people were saying "he's getting a run upfront, thats why"... but he's had a run upfront before, and never looked this good. Its like all of a sudden our football suits him, and he's got some confidence in himself, and thats a direct result of the management.

It's a real shame we didnt fill our half of the ground, but we were still in good voice. Once again though, the old bag in front of me and my mate was in fine form, scowling at anyone who so much as encouraged the team. Effin dingle.

Thought Leeds looked pretty toothless to be honest, considering who they had got upfront.

It was funny though because Trundle injured himself in the first minute when he challenged Clayton for the ball, he landed awkwardly.

Thought the referee was poor in the first half and terrible in the 2nd. Prutton committed two late and dangerous fouls on two of our lads and got away with both, then in the 2nd half, we saw soft yellow cards for Zaboob Palmer et al. There was also that challenge by Fabian Delph that was ignored.

He seemed to have a problem a lot of refs have and was definately favouring the 'big' club by the end of the game, doing everything in his power to help Leeds get something out of the game.

To those of you saying Palmer played well, come on! It amazes me how some people still dont see poor individual performances in the midst of a good team performance. Palmer was better than of late, but he was still pretty shocking. There were at least 3 times where he pussied out of the challenge and it caused problems for us. And how the ref didn't give a penalty for his push late in the 2nd half I dont know. His first touch of the game went out the ground FFS.

As a full back he's terrible, he's slightly better at right back than he is at left back, but did you not see how many times he got caught out of position, or how many times he was miles off his man, or how many times he scuffed his clearance?

This isn't Palmer bashing, this is just in response to those who have said he'd played really well, because he didn't. Without Palmer, this would have been an even more convincing win!

Thought Taundry and Mattis got stuck in well, typical Martyn O'Conner stuff.

Well done boys, its just a shame that tuesdays match could well be cancelled cos we'd have some great momentum going in to it...

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:32 am

BathSaddler wrote:
adjisaddler wrote:attendence- 8920

Adj

And 3,685 away fans. So they didn't outnumber us after all.

There looks a lot more then that!!! the away end hold 1900 that means in the west bromwich stand there was only 1785. before they made a few ajustments that stand held 2500 and there wasnt that many gaps plus loads standing at the front.

more tax fiddle Mr B.?

Zippy
Glitterati

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:33 am

Very sour grapes from the Leeds camp.

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingha ... -22831980/

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:50 am

And if it wasn't for the stay aways you'd have been watching Boertein, Weston & Zaboub on the bench (or probably not even in the squad) , Palmer playing at left back and god knows what tactics as Muddle throws the game away.

Well done the lads great result!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:21 am

Zippy wrote:Very sour grapes from the Leeds camp.

Oh dear...

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:29 am

Jorge14 wrote:

Oh dear...

Big time attitudes like that probably explain why they're 7th and not looking good even for the play-offs. Remember West Ham at Rotherham the other year? Changing in the hotel, then losing 1-0. They need to roll up their sleeves and get on with it, rather than worry about their surroundings.

In any event, most of the players ought to be used to it. The defence was made up of four bog standard League 1 cloggers and Trundle and Robinson have spent much of their careers in the 3rd and 4th divisions. Last season was different, but this season's Leeds side is made up of League 1 players, playing in League 1. They were nothing special and, having seen them, I'm more surprised that we got such a stuffing at their place than I am that we won on Saturday (which although very good, wasn't our best performance of the season).

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

Oh dear...

Big time attitudes like that probably explain why they're 7th and not looking good even for the play-offs. Remember West Ham at Rotherham the other year? Changing in the hotel, then losing 1-0. They need to roll up their sleeves and get on with it, rather than worry about their surroundings.

In any event, most of the players ought to be used to it. The defence was made up of four bog standard League 1 cloggers and Trundle and Robinson have spent much of their careers in the 3rd and 4th divisions. Last season was different, but this season's Leeds side is made up of League 1 players, playing in League 1. They were nothing special and, having seen them, I'm more surprised that we got such a stuffing at their place than I am that we won on Saturday (which although very good, wasn't our best performance of the season).

I agree f**** wussies. They need to get a grip. Abosulutly pathetic.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:07 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

Oh dear...

I'll have a tenner on the player shouting "This place is a shithole" being Beckford. :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Exile wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

Oh dear...

I'll have a tenner on the player shouting "This place is a shithole" being Beckford. :D

I'd take that bet. Beckford was still playing for Wealdstone three years ago - and at 22 he'd have had a at least a couple of years in the world of work by then. You'd like to think that'd give him some sense of how fortunate he is to be paid to play football - even at places like Bescot.

My money's on one of the very young players, who've been through the system at Leeds and believe the hype about them being a massive club who don't belong here.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season