Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon (A) League 1 Tuesday 27/01/09

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Swindon (A) League 1 Tuesday 27/01/09

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:27 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:I always thought a new manager had a good effect on a team

He has.

Oh right 1 point at home to a team whose away record read won 1 drawn 1 lost 10.
Followed by a loss to a team that had won 1 of last 14 matches.
Not so sure of the good effect!
:roll:
(I am not actually having a go at new management team, just stating that new managers often have a positive effect on results).

Think it's more what he inherited than anything else - it could have been no points and a drubbing instead!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 pm

BassettRed wrote:If we are rubbish then you are truly awful. They may not have been shots but we had 2 crosses flash across goal that just needed a touch. I bet you wish you had coxy up front then you may not be heading for league 2. Give me a choice of Danny Wilson or Chris Hutchings. Hmmmmm I know who I prefer :D :D :D

You were rubbish. We were rubbish too, but full strength, we'd have had you. Ricketts fit up front? Your keeper would have cacked his pants and you know it.

For what it';s worth, we'll both survive, I think.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:47 pm

From the commentary and other reports it seems that both our full backs had a torrid time. We had two full backs on the bench, one of whom is an experienced player at this level and higher who has been very reliable for us when fit over the last 18 months. He proved his fitness when apparently playing really well for the reserves last week. Is it a bit odd that in the last two matches Boertien has been left warming the bench?

Or could it be that he was never going to put on the pitch in any circumstances because a 20th appearance would mean we had to keep him until the summer?

Cueball
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Bernie wrote:From the commentary and other reports it seems that both our full backs had a torrid time. We had two full backs on the bench, one of whom is an experienced player at this level and higher who has been very reliable for us when fit over the last 18 months. He proved his fitness when apparently playing really well for the reserves last week. Is it a bit odd that in the last two matches Boertien has been left warming the bench?

Or could it be that he was never going to put on the pitch in any circumstances because a 20th appearance would mean we had to keep him until the summer?

Well, you start to wonder don't you?... :roll:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Bernie wrote:From the commentary and other reports it seems that both our full backs had a torrid time. We had two full backs on the bench, one of whom is an experienced player at this level and higher who has been very reliable for us when fit over the last 18 months. He proved his fitness when apparently playing really well for the reserves last week. Is it a bit odd that in the last two matches Boertien has been left warming the bench?

I would love to know if this rumour is correct or not. If it is I think the fans need to show theirtrue feelings towards the "management" of the club.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 pm

tinned wrote:

I would love to know if this rumour is correct or not. If it is I think the fans need to show theirtrue feelings towards the "management" of the club.

That would be a great question for "Saddlers Insight".

Email [email protected] with "Saddlers Insight" in the subject line and a question to that effect in the email body, and they'll respond - it says so on the official site!

I'd ask but I've already got a question in and don't want to hog the facility.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:33 am

Cueball wrote:I see we impressed the Swindon fans then. Always good to get the opposition view I think, found this on their 'thetownend' forum..

'I am happy with the 3 points but Walsall were absolute guano and their defence resembled ours.'

:shock:

:lol:

Well they got it spot on.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:52 am

BassettRed wrote:If we are rubbish then you are truly awful. They may not have been shots but we had 2 crosses flash across goal that just needed a touch. I bet you wish you had coxy up front then you may not be heading for league 2. Give me a choice of Danny Wilson or Chris Hutchings. Hmmmmm I know who I prefer :D :D :D

Karma usually comes back to bite the likes of you, who take the time and effort to register for a forum like this one just so you can slag us off.
You are after all still below us in the table, and didn't have the complete ordeal of having a BMW car salesman as your manager for 23 games. :D

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:11 am

'Bristol's' point about us being defensively dire is spot on. Swindon were able to play themselves into the game, facing little or no resistance, and their confidence grew, almost visibly, during the first half. Their strikers and wingers had the frredom to do what they liked, with our defenders chasing shadows. We could easily have been four or five down by half time.
Their first goal was a shot from just outside the area which, I think, was hit into the ground and past Ince's left hand. He seemed flat-footed, especially judged against his high standards of the last few months. Their second was an excellent volley over Ince from about 25 yards out - bad marking by our defence as their player was able to shoot unchallenged. I thought he was offside when the ball was played through to him but maybe it was just our rank bad marking. The third one was a cross shot beating Ince to his left which, again, I'm suprised he didn't get down to (he obviously used all his 'world class reflexes' up when keeping us in the match last saturday).
I do worry about Bradley - what has happened to him? The comment by the radio commentators about lack of presence was spot on.
Things started to be better for us when Jamie Vincent went off - not a managerial masterstroke by Wilson - and we began to play with some aggression. Jabo and Deeney's goals quite similar - strong finishes when they'd got a run on a defender and we could have ended up getting a point if Mattis had arrived in the box quicker to meet Nicholls cross. We played some good stuff for about 10 minutes and had successive corners just before the end of the 4 minutes of additional time.
I was the 125th Saddler in the ground, just as we kicked off, and I only saw a couple of people come in after me. I don't recall the away attendance being announced, just the overall figure of 6,100.
As others have said, though it's good to have Hutchings and O'Connor in charge instead of Jimmy Mullen, there are other things which need to change within the club if we are to be anything other than relegation candidates, if not this season then certainly next. If we can't make an offer to satisfy Chris Palmer (unless he has highly unrealistic ideas as to his value) then we are in trouble.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:50 am

Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:

Email [email protected] with "Saddlers Insight" in the subject line and a question to that effect in the email body, and they'll respond - it says so on the official site!

I think that's a terrific question too.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

A quick report from my point of view.

Ince - not his usual self. First goal he was cemented to the floor, third he should've saved, i have no doubt about that. Second was defensive error, brilliant finish.

Taundry - Terrible game. Was pulled all over the place. Out of position.

Smith - Improved with ten minutes to go. The first half, he was awful.

Gerrard - Made captain. Best of a bad bunch at the back. We have no leaders in the team at the minute. Newcastle United of the 3rd tier?!

Palmer - His shot that hit the bar was class, everything else wasn't. Out of position.

Zaboobie - Started brightly. Goes down too easily. Faded.

Bradley - Not the same player. Lightweight, one good tackle.

Mattis - Worked hard in my eyes. A solid 7 on 10.

Nicholls - Not a right winger. Tries his best but isn't right out on the, er, right.

Jabo - Great finish. Worked hard but we miss Ricketts like mad.

Deeney - See Jabo. I just cant see him ever being good enough for League One.

Sub - Davies - I thought he looked very good. To me, the one bright spark in the side and something positive to come away from Swinners with.

Overall, it looks very negative (what I've written above) but it's how i felt it was. First half we were very poor. Smith lost his striker time and time again, as did Taundry and this led to at least one of the goals.
Our goals were finished very well, and we could've nabbed a third against a Swindon side who were awful, it's just we were worse. I felt our goals came through defensive mistakes and I'm gutted that apart from the last 5 minutes we didn't really push for the equaliser after our second goal.

A lot of work to be done, you cant polish a t*rd so to speak. Boertien is obviously not playing for a reason.

Hutchings and MO'C need to be given time, but we haven't got much of that left now. We're sliding, and i cant see anything from the next few games.

We have no leaders in the team and it's got to the point where we're having to give the arm band to someone who doesn't want to play for us anymore.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 am

Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:

You mean you havent got the balls........

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:53 am

swiftyboy wrote:
Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:

Why would he need "the balls" to do that?

I question over email hardly needs nerves of steel does it?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 am

saddlersam wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:

In Exiles case, yes, cos he is all mouth...

SWS1

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 am

So, to sum up, Swindon were rubbish, we were worse, final score, about right.

How I'd love to see our strongest team out with Boots and Weston at fullback and Rickers and Jabo up front and a decent midfield (loanees?).
I really think we could achieve something.
It will happen :D

won't it :arrow: :?: :?

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:30 pm

I think the view of one of Swindon's coaches summed it up perfectly.He reckoned that we were possibly the worst team they have played this season and that our defence apart from Gerrard was shocking.He could see that after 20 mins.

Hopefully Hutchings will agree with this and make 3 changes in this department for the visit of Leeds.

Also surely MOC will see the need for more in the centre of the park.It must pain him to see Mattis and Bradley plying their trade.

I think it's about time that the club officially acept that we are in a relegation battle and unless suitable reinforcements are recruited I fear the worst!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 pm

m&m wrote:I think the view of one of Swindon's coaches summed it up perfectly.He reckoned that we were possibly the worst team they have played this season and that our defence apart from Gerrard was shocking.He could see that after 20 mins.

Hopefully Hutchings will agree with this and make 3 changes in this department for the visit of Leeds.

Also surely MOC will see the need for more in the centre of the park.It must pain him to see Mattis and Bradley plying their trade.

I think it's about time that the club officially acept that we are in a relegation battle and unless suitable reinforcements are recruited I fear the worst!

And therein lies the problem. If Weston and Roberts aren't fit, we haven't the bodies to make those changes unless Uncle Jeff loosens the purse strings. We are up the creek without a wotsit at the moment and I'm getting seriously worried about that 7 point gap.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
m&m wrote:I think the view of one of Swindon's coaches summed it up perfectly.He reckoned that we were possibly the worst team they have played this season and that our defence apart from Gerrard was shocking.He could see that after 20 mins.

And therein lies the problem. If Weston and Roberts aren't fit, we haven't the bodies to make those changes unless Uncle Jeff loosens the purse strings. We are up the creek without a wotsit at the moment and I'm getting seriously worried about that 7 point gap.

You would have been even more worried if you had seen us last night, we were abysmal

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:39 pm

I went last night and how frustrating. We seemed to not know what to do with the ball. Jabo was immense upfront, and Richard Davies was good when he came on. Other than that, Nicholls had a few good spells and that was about it.

I can see why Swindon are down where they are. They're like us, decent team, but defence lets them down by making silly mistakes. We could have easily (even though we didn't deserve it) snatched an equaliser at the end.

At times we played some good stuff, but it wasn't consistant enough. Some players seemed to panic on the ball which cost us.

Ratings:

Ince - 6 - Poor game from the big man. His first in ages so he's forgiven.

Taundry - 6 - Good at times, but Robson-Kanu played too well for him
Gerrard - 5 - Shakey all night. Considering him wanting to play Championship level is laughable on his current form
Smith - 5 - Awful, no other word for it.
Palmer - 3 - Please don't renew his contract at the end of the month. He's the worst left back we've got yet first choice

Nicholls - 7 - Showed abit of quality from time to time, one of the better performers.
Mattis - 6 - Another poor display from him. He just couldn't get a foothold into the ame
Bradley - 5 - Low on confidence and he is showig it. Another howler of a performance from him
Zaaboub - 6 - Showed what he can do occasionally, but Amankwaah (sp?) had him in his pocket most the night

Ibehre - 8 - Our MOTM. Never gave up even at 3-0 down. Caused Swindon problems all night long, but he was let down by most of the rest of the team. Great to see him back on the scoresheet.
Deeney - 6 - Apart from scoring, he didn't do alot else good.

SUBS
Davies - 7 - Decent debut from the youngster. Helped firm things up abit in midfield.

I have to say, even though 3-2 flattered us, it was one of the most entertaining games i've been to this season, especially the last 20 minutes.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:47 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
saddlersam wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
Exile wrote:That would be a great question for "Saddlers Insight".

In Exiles case, yes, cos he is all mouth...

As nobody else appears to have done it, I've asked the question. I see you weren't putting your hand up. Is that because you're all mouth? :roll:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:54 pm

The plaudits just keep rolling in. This follows Darren Fergusons assertion that the Peterborough result was "the most one sided 1-0 you will ever see"

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:14 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

The plaudits just keep rolling in. This follows Darren Fergusons assertion that the Peterborough result was "the most one sided 1-0 you will ever see"

I know. Makes you proud :( .

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:43 pm

I thought Gezza was awful. Taundry was our best defender and he still played poorly.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 pm

moanin old git wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I know. Makes you proud :( .

Just a seven point gap to the zone, and can anyone say that they truly expect naught but nil points from the next
two games? frighteningly close to what I have suggested for most of the season, we may yet see a few players leave
and everyone knows that we will get nothing in replacement, leaving us with a threadbear squad of dire performers.
MMF will probably respond with "we are too good to go down" but who amongst you out there REALLY believe that? :(

At the moment we are not and the signs do not look good for the rest of the season, HOWEVER, as posted on the other thread we probably have enough of a gap over the bottom four to just keep ourselves up this time round.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:08 pm

I bet you wished you had Coxy after Monday, According to the papers he`s signing for Bolton for £500,000. :lol:

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season