Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/1/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Hereford United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/1/09.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:48 pm

caught_u_red_handed wrote:jabo has done exactly what the orient fans said he would do fade 2nd of the season

Can you tell me what differed in his performance today compared with earlier on in the season when he was seen as a revelation?
He's the same player but is now playing with more players who just haven't got it.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Deeney suffers from putting too much in if you ask me, he's supposed to be up front, whenever we attacked he was knackered and 50 yards behind the play

I commend his effort, maybe not his skills

I would be far more inclined to point the finger at some of our more experienced campaigners who either lack effort or get away with making numerous silly errors and giving the ball away

Mullen leaves, the new target for the mighty Saddlers faithful? Poor old messofaface Deeney

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:52 pm

latviancheese wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:they were vocal and a good away support, shame someone did drop a bomb on them though. Scummers.

And anyone could see Jabo was excellent, he held the ball up, won it when he shouldnt have, and battled away. It wasnt jabo not making any runs it was jabo having the ball and having no one to f*** pass too!

:lol: Jabo gives us about 700 percent more than deeney, for a start Deeney cant run, cant head, cant pass, cant shoot, and only has two braincells, i bet he cant even lay bricks properly, the man is useless! And he runs around with his arms out, dont know what hes tryin to do, trying to keep himself on the ground i suppose cause his head is so full of air.

Jabo is quick, big and strong. He benefits playing with Ricketts who has a braincell, maybe not many, but thats more then deeney has. Deeney is a con man.

So what, he's goalscoring record is feeble. You're very easily pleased Mr Latvian.

Im not, and i agree his goalscoring record is crud, but he hasnt had a consistent striking partner for the whole season. Ricketts keeps picking up injuries and Troy Deeney is a sadexcuse for a footballer. Ricketts usually does what jabo does too, so they dont really work well together.

The worst player to play for the club since Darko Mavrak.

I do agree that Deeney is not good enough and third/fourth rate, whilst Ibehre is merely second rate. It would be interesting to see his goals per opportunities ratio - I would think it is quite low, and as we are a team who does not create many chances per game, his strike rate is a liability.

Re Darko Mavrak. Have you forgotten Carlos Carniero already?
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frazy85

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:54 pm

No idea how people can criticize deeney after today, he was the best player on the pitch for us. Ince getting the man of the match didnt really seem justified to me.

Ince = One great save i remember, and did everything else well like usual.
Taundry = Got caught out a lot, didnt look comfortable at all at right back.
Gerrard = One of his poorer games, dont think he did too much wrong with the slip it was just unfortunate.
Smith = Terrible, we need someone else in because Smith is noway near league one quality, but did well to stop the one on one in the first half.
Palmer = Did alright, which i wouldnt usually say about palmer, but he did alright and cleared off the line for us too.
Nicholls = Looked poor, not as good as usual i dont think.
Bradley = Rubbish, went missing most of the time, didnt do much worthwile, got much worse as it went on.
Mattis = Also complete rubbish, needless and stupid tackle to give away the penalty and also went missing all second half.
Zaaboub = Fantastic first half an hour, then seemed to fade, but had a good game none the less.
Deeney = Superb game, probably the best ive seen from him.
Ibhere = Faded as it went on, found it hard not having much support apart from deeney though i think.

I dont think the management can be blamed for today i just think there isnt enough quality in the team to be able to look at trying to get to the playoffs.

I am absoloutely confused how everyone here seems to think deeney is that bad after today, and i may get a lot of stick for saying he was really good, but maybe i was watching a different game or something :lol:
Last edited by Frazy85 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:56 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Well, that second half showed why it's going to take a bit more than a new managerial team to turn things around. On today's performances, I think players who are good enough to compete in League One every week were in a minority.

In the first half, despite the game being fairly even, I thought we just about shaded it. The chances they had were as a result of individual errors by Gerrard and Palmer. Whilst you can't do much about Gerrard simply losing his footing, you can do something about Palmer giving the ball away unbelievably cheaply and getting caught out of position.

Zaaboub terrorised them in the first half and looked the best player on the park. I haven't been his biggest fan so far this season, but I think he's the sort of player who needs to be trusted and given resposibility to attack teams. That's certainly what he did on a number of occasions and presented Deeney with the simplest of finishes for the goal.
If we had someone who could sustain a constant threat like that on he right wing, we'd be onto a winner. Nicholls' performance was iffy to say the least today.

I really hope we get our injured players back as soon as possible, because boy to we miss them. Walking across the car park on my way into the ground today, I saw Hughes, Weston and Ricketts all in their suits entering the ground. With those players out any team would struggle, but the sheer ineptitude of the players who are covering for them at the moment means that we're really struggling.

I'm sorry to say it, but Smith is a liability at the back. He jumps like he's got lead boots on and gives away a silly number of fouls every time he plays.
Palmer literally contributes nothing now we have Zaaboub on the set pieces. The fact that he fails to look up before he plays the ball almost every time is something you'd hope to coach out of a player at about the age of 14. This bloke is 25.
Matches have a tendency to pass Bradley by all too often.
Deeney plays like a bricklayer and nothing better. He took his goal well, but given he was about 4 yards out that it didn't take anything special to do that. His general awareness just isn't there, and I'm almost certain it never will be.

In contrast, I thought Ince, Gerrard, Zaaboub and Jabo were excellent. If we had 5 or 6 more like them, we'd be right up there.

The one consolation is that Hutchings and O'Connor know their stuff and have seen our strengths and weaknesses first hand. If we don't see at least a couple of ins and outs before the end of the month, I'll be very surprised.

Smith did make a great save off the line.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Frazy85 wrote:No idea how people can criticize deeney after today, he was the best player on the pitch for us. Ince getting the man of the match didnt really seem justified to me.

Ince = One great save i remember, and did everything else well like usual.
Taundry = Got caught out a lot, didnt look comfortable at all at right back.
Gerrard = One of his poorer games, dont think he did too much wrong with the slip it was just unfortunate.
Smith = Terrible, we need someone else in because Smith is noway near league one quality, but did well to stop the one on one in the first half.
Palmer = Did alright, which i wouldnt usually say about palmer, but he did alright and cleared off the line for us too.
Nicholls = Looked poor, not as good as usual i dont think.
Bradley = Rubbish, went missing most of the time, didnt do much worthwile, got much worse as it went on.
Mattis = Also complete rubbish, needless and stupid tackle to give away the penalty and also went missing all second half.
Zaaboub = Fantastic first half an hour, then seemed to fade, but had a good game none the less.
Deeney = Superb game, probably the best ive seen from him.
Ibhere = Faded as it went on, found it hard not having much support apart from deeney though i think.

I dont think the management can be blamed for today i just think there isnt enough quality in the team to be able to look at trying to get to the playoffs.

I am absoloutely confused how everyone here seems to think deeney is that bad after today, and i may get a lot of stick for saying he was really good, but maybe i was watching a different game or something :lol:

Some of your opinions of performance are correct and some so wrong it's almost like you weren't even there, suppose its opinons.

Palmer was crud no worries. Deeney had 3 shots & otherwise did nothing and broke down play. An example of this was late in the 2nd half, we controlled a spell of possession, worked it into deeney on the edge of the area & without looking he passed it miles infront of nicholls, his touch is awful. Troy deeney is brave and has a good heart, but otherwise posseses NO attributes of a decent league one football player. Bradley did ok today, as did mattis. Although its obvious mattis has to defend bradley & doesn't feel comfortable next to bradley going forward as he would next to hughes, it was zaaboub that gave the pen away i think. Jabo was absolutely excellent, he mays well have had no support, although i do agree that we missed ricketts on a few occasions, just his poching in the box of crosses, his aerial threat, there were numerous occasions where the ball was just to high for jabo, whereas with ricko's height we may have scored a few more. Nicholls is our one and only flair player with lots of pace if im honest, he worked the left back in both halfs, looked lively & worked hard, as well as creating most of our chances with his crossing. Gerrard was excellent if im honest, bar a couple of slipovers ( which admittingly would have cost us against a team with named strikers ,such as leeds next week) if that was one of his poorer games, he could play poorly everyweek and still be a top 6 league one defender.

We did okay in the first half and played some nice stuff. Although come the second half the players looked leggy and very unfit, perhaps the lack of games played recently?.

Its clear that we'll be seeing a few faces going and a few coming before the chance has gone.

Are reich & boertien leaving january 30th? Or is boets staying till the summer? Clear to me that we need both, especially boertien.

If all are fit next week, we have to play them all. If not i'd definetely start boertien at left back with taundry at right back & palmer in the mid.

4,400 is rubbish, there was 1400 odd in the away end it felt like the upper was a little fuller than usual aswell. Tax scam maybe?.

See you all tuesday night. :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 pm

King Crimson wrote:We've played worse, against better opposition, and won.

Agree with a lot of the above. Zaabiub was a revelation first half. Shades of Pedro (i.e. a 'classical' winger).

We're two fullbacks short of a decent team. Ricketts would have buried a couple of those crosses, and we'd have won.

Or if Deeney's shot against the inside of the post had gone in instead of rolling across the line then we'd have won.

We were fine today. People need to get their heads out of their arses and watch the game. Deeney was very good today. A goal, hit the post and narrowly missed on at least one other occasion. Certainly better than Jabo. Missing several key players and we were the inside of a post and a dodgy penalty decision away from a win. We played some decent passing football first half and, although we dropped a level after the break, they didn't ever look likely to score from open play (possibly bar one excellent save from Ince - but I think that may have been from a corner).

We won't get relegated in a million years playing like that, with class players to come back. And we're bound to improve now we've got a proper manager instead of a moron.

Bradley's definitely lacking self-belief, but he did some decent stuff today in between underhitting passes and not having the confidence to make forward runs. The lad will be fine given a bit of time and sensible management. Being frozen out for no apparent reason for half this season, then suddenly thrust back into playing for a team short of confidence isn't going to be good for any player his age.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 pm

A definite improvement in terms of spirit and organisation, which gives great hope, but we're always going to struggle to win when our threadbare squad is as damaged by injuries as it is at the moment. If Boertien was on the bench then hopefully the stuff about him leaving are nonsense, and he can come back into the team - and we've still got Roberts and Weston to come back after that. With Ricketts back too, that's a decent team - but we've known that all season. Desperately short of depth, that's the trouble, and it hurt us today.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Same old, same old.

Giving the ball to two substandard full backs and asking them to hoof the ball in the corners or diagonally is not football.

The few times that the gloved Frenchie got the ball he looked pretty good and it was a shock to see someone actually running at opposition defenders.

Get rid of Taundry and Palmer and replace them with Boertien and Weston and bring in Hughes and Ricketts and we have a half decent first eleven, but nothing in reserve.

Thought Deeney had his best game for us so far, but the team was generally rubbish, again.

I expect a team coached by O'Connor to be full of endeavour and hard work but lacking in finesse and I wasn't disappointed.

Lots of hard work for Hutchings and MO'C to do. Its gonna be a long season.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm

sounds like theres plenty of work to do then

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:35 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:899 Hereford fans today, meaning just over 3,500 Saddlers.

Try around 1700 mate the end was practically sold out

Are you blind ? or was you sat in the away end cos there was loads of empty seats left and right, plonker.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Ince definitely MOTM today. His 2nd half save from Guinan's header was unbelievable. Not only did he block it but he kept hold of it too.

If Hereford had the same strike force today as they did last week then we'd have lost today. Some of their football was very good but they couldn't finish.

I'm not convinced by Deeney; his continued and regular presence in the team this season highlights the lack of quality in our squad, but the slagging off he gets is ridiculous. He gives his all and if that's not good enough then I'm sure that Hutchings will ensure he's not here next season. I'm much more worried by the continuing disappointment of Mattis' performances, the need to play Manny Smith whenever Weston isn't available, Mark Bradley's total lack of confidence and that, despite huffing and puffing for all he's worth, Ibehre isn't going to blow anyone's house down.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:54 pm

A steward told me there were around 1200 Hereford fans at the match today. I sit in the TXT Stand in block Q and that seemed about right to me.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:56 pm

I couldn't make it today but I am not too disappointed with a draw after Hereford's result last week. Forget the play-offs, we are too far off the pace and the team is not good enough to put an amazing run together to make up the difference. I was worried about losing today and being dragged further into a relegation battle. However a draw against a team battling down there who must be on a high after last weeks win is by no means a disaster.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:12 pm

More passing today than all of Mullens reign, then when it got too a full back it went long, i dont get it, in their half our passing was good, and when it was on the deck with someone running at them, we caused the problems.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:14 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Get rid of Taundry and Palmer and replace them with Boertien and Weston and bring in Hughes and Ricketts and we have a half decent first eleven, but nothing in reserve.

Spot on.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:20 pm

latviancheese wrote:More passing today than all of Mullens reign, then when it got too a full back it went long, i dont get it, in their half our passing was good, and when it was on the deck with someone running at them, we caused the problems.

It's to do with quality. Palmer especially just doesn't have it. He's simply not good enough to get his head up and pick a pass, even if he's been told to do so by the management. Picking Palmer today was understandable. CH looks at the stats for this season and CP's played every game virtually, so he'd have to assume he's a key player for us. I don't expect that to continue for much longer now that he's seen him in action.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:02 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
latviancheese wrote:More passing today than all of Mullens reign, then when it got too a full back it went long, i dont get it, in their half our passing was good, and when it was on the deck with someone running at them, we caused the problems.

It's to do with quality. Palmer especially just doesn't have it. He's simply not good enough to get his head up and pick a pass, even if he's been told to do so by the management. Picking Palmer today was understandable. CH looks at the stats for this season and CP's played every game virtually, so he'd have to assume he's a key player for us. I don't expect that to continue for much longer now that he's seen him in action.

But when he wants to, Palmer has the technique, he did it a few times today and he picked out a wide player with a crossfield ball, the quality of which was top notch. Theres no denying plamer has technique for me, he just doesnt half the brain or any pace to use it i suppose. Id rather of had palmer out wide right than nicholls today too, if we're going to play the style we did today with crosses into the box often, he has a use there, and if we have no other options, and hes staying? we may aswell use to him to his best effect. And nicholls would of made some runs of jabo if given the chance today. Then there is always reich for the wide right role :|

Infact he reminds me a bit of pead, pead was never a right back, plamer is never a full back either. But both seem to of played there most of his career. :?

Taundry isnt a full back either for me, the lad tries and tries but today he was okay in the first, but in the second half their left winger had a field day.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:04 pm

Antoher plus, cant wait for Zabouub to be fully fit. He might of had criticism for laziness in the reserves or whatever, but today he took his chance by the scruff of its neck. He also may be a tart, but hes a good header of the ball. And his footwork on the break had their full backs falling over themselves. And he was more of a left back than palmer at times!

Reich will always struggle on the left too.

I also thought that game was crying out for a Demontagnac esque player in the last 20 minutes. :?

Cueball
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

Agree with a lot of the above. Zaabiub was a revelation first half. Shades of Pedro (i.e. a 'classical' winger).

We're two fullbacks short of a decent team. Ricketts would have buried a couple of those crosses, and we'd have won.

Or if Deeney's shot against the inside of the post had gone in instead of rolling across the line then we'd have won.

We were fine today. People need to get their heads out of their backsides and watch the game. Deeney was very good today. A goal, hit the post and narrowly missed on at least one other occasion. Certainly better than Jabo. Missing several key players and we were the inside of a post and a dodgy penalty decision away from a win. We played some decent passing football first half and, although we dropped a level after the break, they didn't ever look likely to score from open play (possibly bar one excellent save from Ince - but I think that may have been from a corner).

We won't get relegated in a million years playing like that, with class players to come back. And we're bound to improve now we've got a proper manager instead of a moron.

Bradley's definitely lacking self-belief, but he did some decent stuff today in between underhitting passes and not having the confidence to make forward runs. The lad will be fine given a bit of time and sensible management. Being frozen out for no apparent reason for half this season, then suddenly thrust back into playing for a team short of confidence isn't going to be good for any player his age.

But they had one off the line. Evens itself out for me. Sorry, if that would have been a Jimmy Muddle performance, most people (probably you yourself) would have been moaning no end. I'm not blaming the new management, because 4 days is simply not enough time to change anything, but you are kidding yourself if you think that was a good performance (have a look at Hereford's away record this season..).

As for Deeney, I thought he was better today (but if we had any kind of squad, there is no way he would get a game). The shot that hit the post took a wicked deflection if my eyes aren't deceiving me, but he did look sharper overall. Hopefully we can get some new players in - though Bonser has already said players need to leave first - because we really do need them.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Cueball wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

We were fine today. People need to get their heads out of their backsides and watch the game. Deeney was very good today. A goal, hit the post and narrowly missed on at least one other occasion. Certainly better than Jabo. Missing several key players and we were the inside of a post and a dodgy penalty decision away from a win. We played some decent passing football first half and, although we dropped a level after the break, they didn't ever look likely to score from open play (possibly bar one excellent save from Ince - but I think that may have been from a corner).

But they had one off the line. Evens itself out for me. Sorry, if that would have been a Jimmy Muddle performance, most people (probably you yourself) would have been moaning no end. I'm not blaming the new management, because 4 days is simply not enough time to change anything, but you are kidding yourself if you think that was a good performance (have a look at Hereford's away record this season..).

As for Deeney, I thought he was better today (but if we had any kind of squad, there is no way he would get a game). The shot that hit the post took a wicked deflection if my eyes aren't deceiving me, but he did look sharper overall. Hopefully we can get some new players in - though Bonser has already said players need to leave first - because we really do need them.

Agree Al, the second half was as bad as anything under Mullen. Shapeless, clueless and useless. Not blaming the management pair as they've had no chance to change things but I doubt we'll hear anymore play off talk from Hutchings.

I was expecting a much improved atmisphere today. How wrong was I? I'm starting to think there'll be no change until there is change at the top.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:58 pm

average performance could have won could have lost
To be honest i hope we can keep our mid table spot and think about next season

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 am

I have not been to the match today.
But lets be a bit what you call logical.
Herefords away record before todays match was won 1, drawn 1 and lost 10.
So they have gathered a massive 4 points from a possible 36 on their travels.
So even though I repeat I have not been to the match, whatever manager was in charge it is an absolute absymal result is it not?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:I have not been to the match today.
But lets be a bit what you call logical.
Herefords away record before todays match was won 1, drawn 1 and lost 10.
So they have gathered a massive 4 points from a possible 36 on their travels.
So even though I repeat I have not been to the match, whatever manager was in charge it is an absolute absymal result is it not?

Yep. They didnt really play like a team holding up the table though,they were high on confidence, but looking at the stats yes its a bad result. Leeds and Leicester coming up too :?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:28 am

Two fullbacks short of a decent team? :roll:
Well you must be on a different planet I would suggest!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:20 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

We are, when everyone is fit. Which is never.

first 11 yes, but we got no backup even when everyone is fit.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:16 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Yep. It's called Igotogames.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:48 am

Enjoyable enough game, but a bit odd. In the first half Walsall was clearly the better team, even though Hereford had many more good chances, but we scored the only goal. In the second half Hereford was easily the better team, we had most good chances but they scored.

Why do people go over the top knocking our young players? Everyone of them out there yesterday gave his all for 90 minutes: it is not their fault if we are short of decent experienced players who should be out there ahead of them.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:25 pm

It was alot more interesting than a whitley bay game im sure.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:36 pm

latviancheese wrote:It was alot more interesting than a whitley bay game im sure.

I'm not sure about that, TBH. I certainly would not put any money on it.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season