Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/1/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Hereford United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/1/09.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:52 pm

stig wrote:Now that Uncle Jeff has implemented a policy of employing only staff who were here in the nineties, I expect the following line-up

Wood

Ntamark
Ryder
Methven
Statham

Marsh
Keister
O'Connor - player coach
Grealish

Macdonald R
Cecere

Brings a tear to the eye

Its no good harking on back to the good old days. The team we have got now is all that is available so that's what we have to put up with. :wink:

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Ince

Taundry
Gerrard
Smith/Roberts/Weston who ever is fit???
Sansara

Nicholls
Mattis
Bradley
Zaaboub

Ricketts
Jabo

Subs
Who ever is left....

Predicition...1 nil to the saddlers and Jabo to end his drought.... UTS

Percie
Glitterati

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

I've got a good feeling about tomorrow, I've been buzzing all week waiting for this game. I really hope we can get some sort of atmosphere going!

I don't predict scores cos I'm bukkake at it but I think we'll see a positive preformance, players in the right position, ETC.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, but we're really struggling for injuries so any result will be a positive one. Not only are we depleted in terms of numbers, but we're potentially without 3 key players through the spine of the side, which has me slightly worried.
A consolation is that they've lost Lionel Ainsworth, who has just signed for Huddersfield having been impressive for Hereford recently, by all accounts.

Heart says 2-1 to us.
Head says 1-1.

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 pm

Lets hope they've put the covers on as it will be called off if they haven't, all frosting over where I am and I'm adjacent to the ground

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:28 am

First game i've headed to in a while with any sort of expectation.

3-1 Saddlers, not an easy afternoon though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:49 pm

anyone know how much the turnstile is these days? havent been for a while :lol:

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:13 pm

My first visit to Bescot this season.

Even with our limited squad 2 - 0 to the Saddlers.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:38 pm

Ince
Palmer
Taundry
Gerrard
Smith
Nicholls
Zabooub
Bradley
Mattis
Deeney
Ibehre

Subs:

Boertein
Reich
Sansara
Davies
Gilmartin

Interesting squad. No Ricketts - should he be back from suspension yet? An indication that Taundry will be played in his correct position and that we will be using two out and out wingers. Boertein on the bench.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:50 pm

iv just got back from the pub and since kick off no-one has posted nything from whats happened while the games been played ,very surprising to me .

How have we played ? anyone know ?

I see its 1-1 though

Adj

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:23 pm

adjisaddler wrote:iv just got back from the pub and since kick off no-one has posted nything from whats happened while the games been played ,very surprising to me .

How have we played ? anyone know ?

Had a phone call from my bro as he walked back from the stadium, said we were better first half and they were the better team second half.

Deeney had a good game up front and looked more confident, Ince made one or two very good saves and the penalty was dubious - game carried on, no-one appealed or reacted to anything yet the ref stopped the game and gave a penalty. O'Connor barking from the technical area, Hutchings sat in the dugout most of the game.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:46 pm

First half we played well and actually tried to play football. Players generally picked to play in correct positions and 4-4-2 formation.

Gerrard made a couple of howlers and we were lucky to not go behind from the one when Ant slipped allowing the Hereford player the 1 on 1. Ince made contact with the player but he carried on a scuffed the chance. If he had gone down it was a nailed on penalty.

Zaboub played well and supplied the cross for Deeneys neat finish for 1-0 up after about 30 minutes.

Second half was a return to script with hoofball. Hereford were playing the football and deserved the point, although the penalty decision looked dubious.

I couldn't understand why Zaboub went off, when Bradley was out of sorts all match.

A lot for the new management team to work on - we need to stop reverting to hoofing, tighten up a centre half -hopefully with Weston back this will happen and have more purpose up front & hope Ricketts can give us that.
Last edited by Asps on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Just back from the game to coin the ultimate footballing cliche , it was a game of two halves.
We were passing the ball around well in the first half and looked like the hoofball of Mullens tenure had long gone.
Then half-time and we came out looking the total opposite. Second half Hereford were up for it and we sat back.
Ince was again Man of the Match and that says it all really at home.Our defence at times was shocking.Gerrard so obviously doesnt want to be there .

We lack any quality in certain areas - Deeney, I know he scored but he really is not a professional footballer.
Bradley seems a shadow of his former self - whats going on there?-Palmer well we all know about Palmer...

I thought the atmosphere was strangely flat for the new Manager, not much singing (even when we scored- one round of
Youre not singing any more ) and that was it.Hereford def more vocal.

Good news ,great to see O'Connor prowling the touchline and at least Hutchings can now see what he has to do.
Its a big job and he needs at least 2-3 new quality players.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:53 pm

we have some very rubbish players

What's Gerrard worth now, about £6.70?

Someone tell me why someone who doesnt want to play for Walsall, who rates himself better than all of his colleagues and continues to make numerous schoolboy mistakes, still retains the armband?

Ince, what a save!

Many of our players are suffering with huge confidence issues, the management has plenty of work to do

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 pm

stay-away who went today.Think hereford are a very poor team and we desperately need some quality up front it was so annoying seeing the midfield and defence do there job very well but when it came to finishing upfront it was poor. im buying a 10 game season ticket the love is back!!! :) :) :)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:08 pm

ROBBED, Referee was an absolute joke, the worst ive ever seen. Linesman had no bollocks either.

We played some good stuff, Jabo was excellent as the target man. Zabooub was awesome the first half, the full backs were shattin themselves. He was knackered by hafl time though. Balls in the box, some good wing play.

Other than the ref doing his best to ruin the game, i thought it was quite entertaining and if we play like that, and we dont play troy deeney ever again. We'll be fine. Troy Deeney is the WORST pro in the history of football. He scored a tap in, nothing special before anyone says he scored.

Midfield was solid when it was there, but often it dissapears totally, Bradley has much improved. Mattis was good other than dissapearing every now and then.

Why didnt we play Booby and Reich from start? Palmer did his best today, hes powderpuff though, at least Taundry can put himself into a challenge. Palmer much more effective on the wing, which is what he is.

Defence, Gerrard was solid enough other than that slip, hes not up for it anymroe though, Smith was woeful, didnt win a single header all game, and his man gets past him almost everytime. Despite this he made two of the best tackles of the game, which shows he does have some ability.

Im absoultly gutted today, I think with ricketts in the team it would of been different by a mile, Nicholls tries his hardest out wide but he is a striker, he cor cross. We desperatly need a cutting edge in the box, and we desperatly need a centre half, as has been said for months.

Im gutted we should of won but the ref gifted them a point, Hereford are poor they will go down, WTF was the penalty for anyway? :? Oh i forgot, the ref needed some attention.

Id just like to add to the cocktwanger outside, if i wasnt in a hurry you would probably of got a smack you spotty, cider drinking, sheep bumming farmer pr***. SCUM the lot of em.

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:11 pm

latviancheese wrote:Jabo was excellent as the target man

If by target you mean standing there getting marked and not shaking off your man i agree 100%

both jabo and deeney were shocking today made no runs and not getting goal side of there man

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Well, that second half showed why it's going to take a bit more than a new managerial team to turn things around. On today's performances, I think players who are good enough to compete in League One every week were in a minority.

In the first half, despite the game being fairly even, I thought we just about shaded it. The chances they had were as a result of individual errors by Gerrard and Palmer. Whilst you can't do much about Gerrard simply losing his footing, you can do something about Palmer giving the ball away unbelievably cheaply and getting caught out of position.

Zaaboub terrorised them in the first half and looked the best player on the park. I haven't been his biggest fan so far this season, but I think he's the sort of player who needs to be trusted and given resposibility to attack teams. That's certainly what he did on a number of occasions and presented Deeney with the simplest of finishes for the goal.
If we had someone who could sustain a constant threat like that on he right wing, we'd be onto a winner. Nicholls' performance was iffy to say the least today.

I really hope we get our injured players back as soon as possible, because boy to we miss them. Walking across the car park on my way into the ground today, I saw Hughes, Weston and Ricketts all in their suits entering the ground. With those players out any team would struggle, but the sheer ineptitude of the players who are covering for them at the moment means that we're really struggling.

I'm sorry to say it, but Smith is a liability at the back. He jumps like he's got lead boots on and gives away a silly number of fouls every time he plays.
Palmer literally contributes nothing now we have Zaaboub on the set pieces. The fact that he fails to look up before he plays the ball almost every time is something you'd hope to coach out of a player at about the age of 14. This bloke is 25.
Matches have a tendency to pass Bradley by all too often.
Deeney plays like a bricklayer and nothing better. He took his goal well, but given he was about 4 yards out that it didn't take anything special to do that. His general awareness just isn't there, and I'm almost certain it never will be.

In contrast, I thought Ince, Gerrard, Zaaboub and Jabo were excellent. If we had 5 or 6 more like them, we'd be right up there.

The one consolation is that Hutchings and O'Connor know their stuff and have seen our strengths and weaknesses first hand. If we don't see at least a couple of ins and outs before the end of the month, I'll be very surprised.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Were in serious trouble IMHO.

No shape in the team what so ever, Troy Deeney is one of the worst players ive seen wear the shirt he's about as mobile as housebrick and he should go back to laying them, Chris Palmer, if this guy is a footballer give me a contract because i can do what he does.

Our players are scared to recieve the ball, whenever we pass they jus boot it somewhere Richard Taundry especially, although i will add i think he had one of his better days today defensive wise. Until Reich was played the only player that looked like doing something was Alex Nicholls, him and Reichy are the only players we've got that arent scared to keep the ball, what the hell has happened to Mark Bradley because he's certainly not the midfield dynamo we saw last season Mattis is going downhill too, even Gerrard looked poor today.

My man of the match would of been Nicholls but im not gunna argue with it going to Incey because he made some excellent saves and almost got there penalty, solid performance from the big man as always, Were gunna miss him when he retires id give the bloke a coaching role here.

Hutchings & O'conner must be wandering what they've let themselves in for after that performance.
Last edited by bleed_red_n_white on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:22 pm

We've played worse, against better opposition, and won.

Agree with a lot of the above. Zaabiub was a revelation first half. Shades of Pedro (i.e. a 'classical' winger).

We're two fullbacks short of a decent team. Ricketts would have buried a couple of those crosses, and we'd have won.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:28 pm

899 Hereford fans today, meaning just over 3,500 Saddlers.

Not great, but then Walsall fans are not won over that easily.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:29 pm

BathSaddler wrote:899 Hereford fans today, meaning just over 3,500 Saddlers.

Try around 1700 mate the end was practically sold out

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:32 pm

King Crimson wrote:We've played worse, against better opposition, and won.

Agree with a lot of the above. Zaabiub was a revelation first half. Shades of Pedro (i.e. a 'classical' winger).

We're two fullbacks short of a decent team. Ricketts would have buried a couple of those crosses, and we'd have won.

But Jabo is such a good player, according to some. I mean, he scored as recently as October. Deeney seems to get a lot of stick [most of it justifiable], but i'm not sure what Ibehre gives us is much better.

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:34 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

But Jabo is such a good player, according to some. I mean, he scored as recently as October. Deeney seems to get a lot of stick [most of it justifiable], but i'm not sure what Ibehre gives us is much better.

100% agree with you mate we are in dire need of a forward was the missing link today

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:36 pm

they were vocal and a good away support, shame someone did drop a bomb on them though. Scummers.

And anyone could see Jabo was excellent, he held the ball up, won it when he shouldnt have, and battled away. It wasnt jabo not making any runs it was jabo having the ball and having no one to f*** pass too!

:lol: Jabo gives us about 700 percent more than deeney, for a start Deeney cant run, cant head, cant pass, cant shoot, and only has two braincells, i bet he cant even lay bricks properly, the man is useless! And he runs around with his arms out, dont know what hes tryin to do, trying to keep himself on the ground i suppose cause his head is so full of air.

Jabo is quick, big and strong. He benefits playing with Ricketts who has a braincell, maybe not many, but thats more then deeney has. Deeney is a con man.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:37 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

Jabo is a lot better on the ball than Deeney, one instance today for me summed up troy deeney is a nut shell, ball comes over first touch facing the wrong way, second touch then becomes a tackle (with no one on him) 3rd touch nearly ends up with him falling over the ball allowing the oposition to close him down and take it off him, attrocious player and shouldnt be in the reserves let alone the first team.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:38 pm

latviancheese wrote:they were vocal and a good away support, shame someone did drop a bomb on them though. Scummers.

And anyone could see Jabo was excellent, he held the ball up, won it when he shouldnt have, and battled away. It wasnt jabo not making any runs it was jabo having the ball and having no one to f*** pass too!

:lol: Jabo gives us about 700 percent more than deeney, for a start Deeney cant run, cant head, cant pass, cant shoot, and only has two braincells, i bet he cant even lay bricks properly, the man is useless! And he runs around with his arms out, dont know what hes tryin to do, trying to keep himself on the ground i suppose cause his head is so full of air.

Jabo is quick, big and strong. He benefits playing with Ricketts who has a braincell, maybe not many, but thats more then deeney has. Deeney is a con man.

So what, he's goalscoring record is feeble. You're very easily pleased Mr Latvian.

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:40 pm

jabo has done exactly what the orient fans said he would do fade 2nd of the season

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:41 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:they were vocal and a good away support, shame someone did drop a bomb on them though. Scummers.

So what, he's goalscoring record is feeble. You're very easily pleased Mr Latvian.

Im not, and i agree his goalscoring record is crap, but he hasnt had a consistent striking partner for the whole season. Ricketts keeps picking up injuries and Troy Deeney is a sadexcuse for a footballer. Ricketts usually does what jabo does too, so they dont really work well together.

The worst player to play for the club since Darko Mavrak.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:43 pm

I really cant see how anyone can give troy deeney praise he is total dross.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season