Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (A) League 1 Saturday 17/1/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Scooby
UTS Regular

Re: Peterborough United (A) League 1 Saturday 17/1/09.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 pm

We can still make the play-offs :wink:

SWS1

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Give the kids a chance! :wink:

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Shots (according to the BBC):

Peterborough 15 Walsall 2

They just about shaded it ...

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:12 pm

At least they weren't humiliated.

See...I got a positive out of it.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:20 pm

I said a few weeks ago that the way things are going we would be in League 2 by the end of next season. In the light of recent events, I'm prepared to revise that - we could well get relegated this season.

Any side in this division would miss the likes of Weston, Ricketts, Hughes and Roberts. That said, and with no disrespect intended to the kids, there is no depth to the squad, and with the possibility of other players moving on, we look a dead duck.

Some will say it was only 1-0 against a good, freescoring side, but the reality is we were going to lose as soon as they went in front, the other 84 minutes being utterly pointless - but then, the whole club is utterly pointless at the moment.

The sad thing is that since Merson left, we managed to pick ourselves up with a championship and reestablished ourselves in our 'natural home' very quickly. Since January, all that work in resurrecting this club has gone to waste, and if we do go down, I'm not sure we will come back so quickly again.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:20 pm

I have a new name.

United
Proud

and

True
However
Evil has made us

Sad
And
Depressed
Don't
Let
Evil
Ruin the
Saddlers

Scooby
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Just to add to the depression, I have it on good authority that Schofield will sign a two-year deal as manager on Monday!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Scooby wrote:Just to add to the depression, I have it on good authority that Schofield will sign a two-year deal as manager on Monday!

I think that might be the straw that breaks the small Vole's back, after the backs of several Llamas, a triad of donkeys, 7 western alaskan buffalo, and a Badger's.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Scooby wrote:Just to add to the depression, I have it on good authority that Schofield will sign a two-year deal as manager on Monday!

If that happens, then the club can go forth and multiply - for good, as far as I'm concerned.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:41 pm

But will Bonser have given up hope of finding somebody cheaper than Schofield by then? Surely he will give it a little longer to see just how low he can drive the going rate down.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Schofield to be appointed as manager is one thing, but to appoint him on a 2 year deal is something else.
How's it come to this?!

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:49 pm

How the hell can they give the job to him after todays performance. We had two shots all game and could have got hammered 5 or 6 if its wasn't for clayton and some waste full finishing. If it is him, i fear the worst for the club. And if it is him, it's probley the end for me as a walsall fan.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:51 pm

I don't think anyone would be surprised if Schofield was given the job but as alluded to above, to do so on a two-year deal would be mystifying to say the least!!
Last edited by Four Oaks Saddler on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:51 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Schofield to be appointed as manager is one thing, but to appoint him on a 2 year deal is something else.
How's it come to this?!

To be honest, the two year bit is what gives that rumour away as rubbish.

However, I think the longer this goes on, the more likely that Schofield will be given til the end of the season.

On WM, they've even started calling him the new manager!

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:06 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

How's it come to this?!

To be honest, the two year bit is what gives that rumour away as rubbish.

However, I think the longer this goes on, the more likely that Schofield will be given til the end of the season.

On WM, they've even started calling him the new manager!

yep they would !

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:We am cack

am yow messaging from the game aak? cos we am cack!

No, I am messaging from two thousand miles away....Just had a hunch :D

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Right, a rare moment of perspective from me:

There is a vacant manager's position available. The one man who make an application for it with tangible results is John Schofield. He knows the chairman and knows the quickest way to impress him will be to get all the kids in the first XI and do something with them.

If he can go to one of the better sides in the division with Ince and 15 nappy dodgers and come away only being thrashed 1-0, he knows Uncle Jeff will be creaming himself about getting rid of those expensive professionals.

Job's in the bag and the assessment starts at home next week, I'd say.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Why replace one assistant manager who was over promoted with another?
Ive just listened to Schofields post match interview - never heard such a load of absolute drivel - do they get some special tution to be so inept and clueless?!
Mullen going was the right move but to replace him with his assistant - apart from yet again the cheap option - what would be the point?
Last Saturday I was on a high believeing we were about to appoint a new fresh face ,this Saturday Im the exact opposite - talk about Summit/Plummit.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 pm

We were a team devoid of any quality whatsoever. A team of kids playing against men and we were lucky it was not 6-0.
It would have been if it wasn't for Ince, some desperate defending, bad finishing and the post.

We had only two shots the whole game and only one on target.

Schofield wore a nice new suit. Based on this performance he can leave it in the wardrobe as he wont be getting the job.

Poor away support in terms of numbers but not volume.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Today we were shocking but Peterborough weren't much better.

It was nice to see Scofield getting the players to applaud the fans BEFORE the match. This changed the atmosphere from the fans. It seemed all the 'doom and gloom' had gone. But that didn't last long :lol:
We started off slightly better, pressing forward but with no threat. Then stupid 'school boy' defending saw us 1-0 down with their first chance.
Then we were complete cack.
Palmer went off injured, which didn't seem much, but he didn't go down the tunnel, he was stretchered to an open corner of the stadium, presumably to an ambulance.
On cam Sam Adkins and to be honest, he was probably one of our best players. He was the one of the few who actually looked like they wanted to play.
It seemed that from we went 1-0 down, we couldn't be bothered.

Our fans were bored. So out came the chants.
"Deeney for Gaza"
"Deeney for Hednesford"
"We hate you Bonser"
"We hate you Taylor"
plus a few others

Today, it seemed the Marco Reich fan club started. The fans were chanted his name before kick off, during the game and afterwards. He looked so happy to have the support of the fans.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:46 pm

result not surprising.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Louise wrote:Why replace one assistant manager who was over promoted with another?
Ive just listened to Schofields post match interview - never heard such a load of absolute drivel - do they get some special tution to be so inept and clueless?!
Mullen going was the right move but to replace him with his assistant - apart from yet again the cheap option - what would be the point?
Last Saturday I was on a high believeing we were about to appoint a new fresh face ,this Saturday Im the exact opposite - talk about Summit/Plummit.

Louise, you have summed my thoughts within your post. They say a week is a long time in politics!

Last Saturday, this message board was mostly filled with positive posts from supporters relieved that Bonser had realised his error and acted appropriately. There appeared to be a high level of optimism from many with all sorts of speculation and debate about possible replacements, many of which were frankly pie in the sky, but with just as many credible nominations.

So what has happened over the past week?

A lack of communication from the club (no change there then) with respect to when an appointment would be made.

A week closer to the transfer window deadline

The usual suspects on here with their conspiracy theories / negativity / told you so anecdotes (even though nothing had been decided) fanning the flames of doom and gloom. Within days the majority view on the board is that Schofield is now a dead cert for the job.

Rumour that two of our more experienced players were going to be released (one of whom most posters who actually watch the team believe is a luxury player)

A team selection today which removed any lingering doubt that that our threadbare squad is not equipped to compete in this league over 46 games

From the commentary / reports etc a dismal performance which would indicate that without an injection of new personnel, there is a real threat of relegation this season.

Summit to plummet sums it up perfectly :(

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:24 pm

1933 wrote:WALSALL
Clayton Ince
Anthony Gerrard ©
Chris Palmer
Dwayne Mattis
Jabo Ibehre
Mark Bradley
Richard Taundry
Alex Nicholls
Troy Deeney
Manny Smith
Netan Sansara

Subs
Rene Gilmartin
Marco Reich
Richard Davies
Sam Adkins
Hassan Bacchu

Quite simply, that's probably the most uninspiring teamsheet I've seen. Wouldn't set League Two alight. Not their fault of course.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Well I didn't think today was dismal given the personnel. For most of the game we played with seven kids, and given their experience they acquited themselves resonably well I think (if it wasn't for Mick Halsall preparing these players what on earth would we have done?). I actually enjoyed the game, despite Clayton being the difference between a 1-0 and a 6-0 defeat.

Tactically I don't understand why we continued to play 4 - 5 - 1 when we were losing. For the last 20 - 25 we should have gone 4 - 4 - 2 and pushed Nicholls up front with Jabo (who was superb today), in fact we should probably have started 4 - 4 - 2.

Other thoughts -

On today's performance we won't miss Marco Reich.

If we sell Gerrard or Ince we are well and truly screwed.

I thought Adkins was well off the pace, the step up truly told, but he will certainly benefit from the experience.

If and when Ricketts and Hughes come back and if we appoint a decent manager, we will be OK this season. Continue to play the kids and get them some more experience, it's all we've got.

If we don't appoint a manager before next weekend it will be a complete disaster.

PS - Where was Weston today??
Last edited by aaaae on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Totally outplayed today, no surprise but did we think we was up against Alex Fegusons team not Darrens ?
Peterborough are a good side but we just might as well have been playing Man Utd we just didn't give them a game.
Toe curling made me zip my coat up on the way back to the car to hide my Walsall shirt because I have never felt so ashamed to support WFC.
The away support gets lower each game if Bonser thinks sacking Mullen will increase the home gates he'd better think again could be sub 3,000 next week.
Soon be 12 months since the sale of Fox and Dann and the start of the Death Knell for our club.
Happy Anniversery Bonser.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:52 pm

PJD wrote:PS - Where was Weston today??

Sporting Star said he picked up a knock in training yesterday.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:11 pm

PJD wrote: For most of the game we played with seven kids,

Most of our team could name the Teletubbies.

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Jorge14 wrote:

Yep calf strain from what I've got told.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Macca wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

Yep calf strain from what I've got told.

You can't help but wonder with the goings on at the club of late if there aren't shennanigans afoot!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:49 pm

kevin wrote:
PJD wrote: For most of the game we played with seven kids,

Most of our team could name the Teletubbies.

:mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season