Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Tuesday 17/3/09

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
layzeedude
UTS Regular

Re: Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Tuesday 17/3/09

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:41 am

Was dreading checking the result this morning. Nice 1 lads! Made my day!!

Would love to have heard what Martsky and Hutch said to inspire that turnaround.

C'mon the mighty Saddlers

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 am

Terrific response from the lads .

Great to see Bradders back in the side and on the score sheet , young Troy is now our league top scorer well done .

a massive well done to CH and MOC for realising what we knew all along Deeney is a striker .

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:43 am

A great performance after saturdays disaster. Nicholls definately MOTM with Smith a close second. I used the same words as Graydon48 last night "the new Ian Roper". I suspect he wont be here 10 years though. Only down side for me was Jabos finishing which was woeful, despite him being a right pain to play against for the opposition defence. Zaboob too was also poor by his own standards. Other than that, much, much better.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am

Two words summed up the difference between last night and Saturday...Work Rate. Closing down, tackling, being available for the ball, all missing Saturday but plenty of it last night. As others have pointed out Manny had a very good game but can't argue with Nicholls being MOTM.

Excellent response and good management from CH in putting out the same team bar Hughes's enforced absence. I presume the remit was to prove Saturdays result was just one off.

Was it Shroot in the box late on who squared it instead of having a shot? I thought he was in a much better position to have a go at goal himself.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 am

We just looked much sharper and much more switched on - that was the difference, in a marked contrast with Saturday.

The back four looked organised, and we generally looked to play the ball simple. Weston was back to how we know he can play, Gerrard cruised through the game until his injury and Smith was just a rock. As has already been said, he's not the new Scott Dann, nor is he the new Anthony Gerrard - what he does offer is bread and butter defending, which means that mistakes are few and far between. Boertein was very good at left back. It impresses me just how composed he can be at times when everyone else is under a bit of panic. He might not be the quickest, but he looked to keep the ball simple, which means that he rarely got caught out of position.

In terms of the midfield, both wide men played exactly like how you'd tell them to play. Stayed wide and offered themselves for the ball. Nicholls probably played as well as he has done under Hutchings - the two cut-backs for the goals were ver well excecuted and he stretched them with his running. I would like to add that their left back in the first half (who, incidentally, was taken off at half time) was awful, but that's hardly our problem.
Mattis was excellent - he was here, there and everywhere, makin tackles and forcing mistakes. Alongside him, Bradley looked to get on the ball and keep things simple - that was probably the first time I've seen him do that for about a year.

Up front, Jabo and Deeney looked like a proper partnership. They linked up reasonably well and probably could have scored a couple more had their finishing or final ball been better.

All in all, that performance showed just how effective keeping things simple can be at this level. We weren't anything special, but we didn't need to be.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:37 am

Goose277 wrote:Two words summed up the difference between last night and Saturday...Work Rate. Closing down, tackling, being available for the ball, all missing Saturday but plenty of it last night. As others have pointed out Manny had a very good game but can't argue with Nicholls being MOTM.

Excellent response and good management from CH in putting out the same team bar Hughes's enforced absence. I presume the remit was to prove Saturdays result was just one off.

Was it Shroot in the box late on who squared it instead of having a shot? I thought he was in a much better position to have a go at goal himself.

probably, I actually thought it was along the lines if " Get back out there and put it right , you bunch of barstewards " Either way I agree with you.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:59 am

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:25 pm

Was it a MOTM rollover last night? If so Nicholls will be bladdered all week with two cases of Bonks'ss'ss's to take 'um. :mrgreen:

I love Jabo but a natural goalscorer he ain't. Early in the season I had a bet with my mate that Jabo wouldn't score more than 10 goals this season. After Jabo's miss last night I offered him the chance of settling up now for £7.50, he wouldn't take it. You'll live to regret that Cueball :|

All in all, last night was a much needed antidote to that nasty fever we all suffered from last Staurday. Keep it up lads.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:34 pm

I'd also give a deal of credit to Mark Bradley for last night. We looked a lot more balanced and a lot more mobile in central midfield with him in in place of Hughes.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I'd also give a deal of credit to Mark Bradley for last night. We looked a lot more balanced and a lot more mobile in central midfield with him in in place of Hughes.

Good to hear that always rated the lad , the general feeling on here is he can only play in 5 man midfield something i dissagree with .

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I'd also give a deal of credit to Mark Bradley for last night. We looked a lot more balanced and a lot more mobile in central midfield with him in in place of Hughes.

Spot on Neil. He did his job quietly but efficiently. Put in some excellent tackles at times. He doesn't run around like a headless chicken (see Taundry) but he does hold a good position and uses the ball wisely most of the time.

As for Ibehre....well, tin hat on here, but I'm starting to see through him. At the start of the season, he was such a refreshing change up front that I thought he was a world-beater. But in fact, I've now realised that the most common phrase I end up using about him is "great play.....bad luck". In other words, lots of effort, a fair bit of skill as well but 99% of the time, NO end product.

Now I'm not saying that he doesn't have a role to play in our squad.....but I can start to see why Orient weren't too fussed about him going.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm glad that Bradley had a decent game, let's be honest so far this season has been a waste for him considering his impact last season.

He's hoping that in 09/10 season we get Mark Bradley version 08/09 season. Plus the bonus if Deeney scores at the same rate he has been doing the last couple of months next season.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:55 pm

i think everyone had a good game yesterday. no one stood out as been really bad. Palmer and taundry was our worst players. but they did not get alot of time.there performance shown why they are on the bench.

apart from them two i think it was a good performance overall. Nicholls had a great game on the wing and i think bradz deserves alot of credit along with gerrard and smith.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:05 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:i think everyone had a good game yesterday. no one stood out as been really bad. Palmer and taundry was our worst players. but they did not get alot of time.there performance shown why they are on the bench.

apart from them two i think it was a good performance overall. Nicholls had a great game on the wing and i think bradz deserves alot of credit along with gerrard and smith.

See, this does get quite ridiculous doesn't it? He was on the pitch for a limited period, did little wrong, put a couple of decent crosses over, even put in a tackle :wink: and yet he's our "worst player".

As I commented several times last night when Weston launched another long hoofball to nobody, "if that had been Palmer, people would have been booing him"!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:

Spot on Neil. He did his job quietly but efficiently. Put in some excellent tackles at times. He doesn't run around like a headless chicken (see Taundry) but he does hold a good position and uses the ball wisely most of the time.

As for Ibehre....well, tin hat on here, but I'm starting to see through him. At the start of the season, he was such a refreshing change up front that I thought he was a world-beater. But in fact, I've now realised that the most common phrase I end up using about him is "great play.....bad luck". In other words, lots of effort, a fair bit of skill as well but 99% of the time, NO end product.

Now I'm not saying that he doesn't have a role to play in our squad.....but I can start to see why Orient weren't too fussed about him going.

Okay, I will say it for you. If we want to do anything at all next season, he is one of the first names I would ship out. There I feel better now.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:25 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:i think everyone had a good game yesterday. no one stood out as been really bad. Palmer and taundry was our worst players. but they did not get alot of time.there performance shown why they are on the bench.

See, this does get quite ridiculous doesn't it? He was on the pitch for a limited period, did little wrong, put a couple of decent crosses over, even put in a tackle :wink: and yet he's our "worst player".

As I commented several times last night when Weston launched another long hoofball to nobody, "if that had been Palmer, people would have been booing him"!

And Taundry played for all of about three minutes!! How can you possibly judge his performance either way in that time?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:19 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:

And Taundry played for all of about three minutes!! How can you possibly judge his performance either way in that time?

yes i no he only had a few mins to play. but he had the ball 2 or 3 times and either did a bad pass or could of passed the ball but kept turning his back to goal.with extra time to go they was not going to score so he should off gone for another but he didn't

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:12 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:

yes i no he only had a few mins to play. but he had the ball 2 or 3 times and either did a bad pass or could of passed the ball but kept turning his back to goal.with extra time to go they was not going to score so he should off gone for another but he didn't

I think based on this, the only option is for immediate castration to the players involved, fine them the maximum 2 week wages and enforce them to live in Wolverhampton for a week. Only then can they appreciate and understand that they must be perfect in every second on the pitch to be regarded as good enough for the Walsall hardcore.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:

I did think Taundry had a mare when he came on, but Palmer did well. Bradley was much better than Hughes in midfield. A good response overall. Hope Jabo is saving his goals for Orient.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season