Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (A) League 1 RESCHEDULED Tuesday 10/2/09 .

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Cully
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 RESCHEDULED Tuesday 10/2/09 .

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:53 pm

Just had a report that 'T' shirt man is unsurprisingly just wearing a 'T' shirt, temperature about -2..............He's a LEGEND!

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm

4502 att Jabo & Deeney off Ricketts and Williams on
Last edited by Cully on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caldy
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm

sounds like we're not playing well. palmer is having a mare. deeney and jabo off williams and ricketts on

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 pm

moanin old git wrote:It's all too familiar, do we have to put up with this for the rest of the season? Losing all our away games

Hmmm, apart from drawing on Saturday?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Moaning, i think your overreacting imo.

Carlisle have just sat back in this half, and soaked us up. I dont think we will have to worry about relegation at all.

caldy
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Methinks we need new bodies. A defender or two and a midfield general would be nice. Not holding my breath though!!!

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Penalty to Walsall......Ricketts scores!!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:27 pm

get in

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 pm

moanin old git wrote:It's all too familiar, do we have to put up with this for the rest of the season? Losing all our away games and grabbing the
occasional home draw, aint gonna see us escaping from a relegation zone plummet!
I'm getting tired of excuses, we need to buck our ideas up pretty damn quick. One win against an out of sorts Leeds team
dont wash, if we keep up this relegation form in all the remaining matches....... :(

So out of touch with reality.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Good save from Gilmartin.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:32 pm

4 mins extra time.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Fulltime 1-1 Well done!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:37 pm

Cully wrote:Fulltime 1-1 Well done!

I agree.

Two decent away points crucially at the expense of teams around us in the table.

Good stuff.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Much better defensively second half - sounds like we deserved a point.

Well done lads!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 pm

another good result, to draw two back to back games away from home after the Leicester thrashing shows plenty of character

Promising indeed

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Sounds like a good solid point. Both sides had chances - probably a fair result in the end.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Good point i would have taken two draws from Hartlepool and Carlisle, urgently need a defender on loan though

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 pm

A good recovery by the lads in picking up points at both Hartlepool and Carlisle after being well beaten by Leicester 7 days ago. At least we are not 'dead and buried' if we go behind as we were under JM. Good battling qualities which should ensure that we keep just ahead of the relegation dogfight.

Not that I'm getting too excited, mind.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:48 pm

i'll take that point.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:58 pm

2 good saves from Gilmartin, according to WM. Another two-fingered salute to all those that predict meltdown everytime Ince doesn't play :roll:

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 pm

For my sins I listened to all the WM Match Commentary so am having to base my opinion on that.
I think its another good point away - we need to beat Colchester now, which I think we will.
First half (according to WM) we were second best but Hutch changed it round - yes a Manager who has a Plan B and the Second Half we were far the superior team .
Sounds like Gerrard didnt have a great game - or as they diplomatically put it - We have seen him play a lot better - overall with Ince out as well a point away is a point gained in my opinion.
Be interested to hear from the hardy souls who made the trip.

SWS1

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:09 pm

A very good point well gained by the sound of it. I'll sleep better tonight.
It's a great sign that we are difficult to beat and are capable of coming from behind (pace, Howard Jacobson).
Could be a half decent run in although anything like the play-offs looks well outside our capabilities. Consolidation, anybody?
:)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:11 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I can't see us getting anything out of this one, but then I thought the same at Hartlepool.

It will be close, but a 2-1 defeat. 95 Saddlers to see it.

According to their OS, there were indeed 95 Saddlers to see it.

Not that I wish to blow my own trumpet or anything....

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:49 pm

King Crimson wrote:Two decent away points crucially at the expense of teams around us in the table.

Definitely.
Put into context, our last 2 results have been very handy.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:50 pm

Good point away from home.

6 points from 6 games, just need Hutchings and O'Connor to bring in a few more of their own players and hopefully we can start planning for next season as this season is over.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:26 pm

i think a draw was a fair result tonight. Our defence was poor again and Palmer is absolubtley terrible, every time he gets the ball he has to boot it as far as he can! I thought Sam williams was quite decent when he came on too

Up the Saddlers!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 am

I think the big change we're seeing is that we have regained the spirit to come back from behind in matches. These two away games (the Leeds home match too) would IMHO have been lost under Mullen, but Hutchings and O'Connor seem to have restored confidence and fight into the players. These were two very important games against teams that were capable of closing the gap on us, so to draw and maintain that gap is an excellent outcome from two long and tiring trips.

These have been two very good away results as far as I'm concerned, and it would be nice now to get some team strengthening going with the loan window now open, and see how far we can go up the table. I firmly believe it's now way too late for the play-offs, but it would be nice to achieve a decent platform for next season, and after experiencing the doldrums under Mullen, I think a real feeling of hope is rapidly returning.

Well done the lads and the new management team.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:29 am

I didn't go, and I was out working so could only keep in touch via my mobile..... having said that, can I add my "Amen" to Geoff's comment. It strikes me there is a massive similarity in the transformation we are now seeing (Mullen to Hutchings & O'Connor) to what we saw in the transformatiojn from Merson to Money.

In both instances we had a side that often went behind (at which point heads started to drop), and then as likely as not went further behind. The transformation common to both timescales is the instillation in the team to fight back, even when going behind late in the game, and even when going behind to somewhat "freak" goals.

Also, isn't it significant that our run of conceding a goal (or two) in the last five minutes of a game has miraculously stopped? I am touching wood at this point.....

UTS - onwards and upwards !!!

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:01 am

Just got back from the game. It's nice to know that in these uncertain times some things remain reassuringly predictable. It will always be brass monkeys in Carlisle in February and - as someone mentioned earlier in the thread - Mick (aka 't-shirt man', 'freezing bloke' etc) will always be dressed appropriately!

But what of the game? Carlisle and Walsall are two teams who have largely underachieved this season and this game illustrated why. If either team had had the nouse to impose themselves on the match then it was there for the taking. Instead, Carlisle had a go in the first half and then they very kindly let us have a bash in the second. In truth United should have been three up in the first half hour. From where I was sitting there was little Gilmartin could have done about Thirlwell's opener but Taylor and especially Danny Graham missed absolute sitters shortly after they took the lead. All of our best work came from Zaaboub with the Frenchman whipping in a series of inviting crosses and working a good free kick that ended up with Nicholls having a goal ruled out for offside.

The second half started relatively quietly but after Hutchings replaced Deeney and Jabo with Ricketts and Williams (good, positive decision IMO - although our starting pair had played pretty well without really creating many chances) we started to cause Carlisle problems. Zaaboub was really annoying the home fans with a succession of, ahem, 'continental-style collapses' but then, incredibly, he did the same thing in the box and the ref pointed to the spot. I'll be interested to see a replay but it seemed very soft to me. Well done Sofiene! He may be a conniving foreign schemer but he's OUR conniving foreign schemer and he really seemed to enjoy the Zaa-booing from the away support when he came to take a corner in front of us late on.

You might have expected us to use some of the time wasting tactics that our opponents had been employing as the game entered the last five minutes but to our credit we really went for it and looked the more likely to snatch something. Nevertheless a draw was a fair result.

Individual players: Gilmartin made a couple of good saves but a few dodgy kicks were nearly punished. Back four were generally solid - I certainly didn't think Gerrard stood out as having a poor game. Hughes did what he is good at - breaking up play and making good use of the ball, Bradley was disappointing - too many misplaced passes, Zaaboub was sporadic but effective, Nicholls better in the second half than the first and our strikers (all four of them!) played well - Williams certainly looks the part.

All in all, encouraging stuff from a team that seems to have rediscovered a good deal of its self-belief.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:31 am

'Bangsection' summed up tonight's performance very well: if Carlisle had taken advantage of their opportunities then the game would have been lost before half-time but they didn't - which is why they are where they are in the league - and we were well worth a point.

Hutchings and O'Connor now have the dilemma of selecting from 4 worthy candidates to play up front (and that's discounting Alex Nicholls)!
Zaaboub again did well, despite blowing a little more hot and cold than recently; he is a winger,after all.
Bradley still seems to struggle to get into a game -what has happened?
Gilmartin did well - admittedly he had a Clayton Moment, but he was fortunate there was sufficient pace on the ball to prevent their player controlling it easily - when he had to, though he stood no chance with the goal.

The penalty was as much a penalty as many that have been awarded against us and lot more of a penalty than many that are awarded in the Premier League, where the effect of a passing light breeze is sufficient to cause many a megastar to collapse in a heap. Ok, so Zaaboub's leg wasn't amputated above the knee, but the challenge looked iffy to me (I'm old enough to remember Jeff King, who could give Tom Daly diving lessons!)

We do seem to be restablishing ourself - we're playing as a team rather than a collection of individuals wearing the same colour of shirts.
We don't give up the ghost - two successive away games where we've come from behind to gain a point.
Not promotion or play-off form but certainly not relegation form either.

Best cheese and onion pasty I've had for a long while, too!

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season