Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (A) League 1 RESCHEDULED Tuesday 10/2/09 .

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 RESCHEDULED Tuesday 10/2/09 .

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:19 am

geoffwhiting wrote:I think the big change we're seeing is that we have regained the spirit to come back from behind in matches. These two away games (the Leeds home match too) would IMHO have been lost under Mullen, but Hutchings and O'Connor seem to have restored confidence and fight into the players. These were two very important games against teams that were capable of closing the gap on us, so to draw and maintain that gap is an excellent outcome from two long and tiring trips.

These have been two very good away results as far as I'm concerned, and it would be nice now to get some team strengthening going with the loan window now open, and see how far we can go up the table. I firmly believe it's now way too late for the play-offs, but it would be nice to achieve a decent platform for next season, and after experiencing the doldrums under Mullen, I think a real feeling of hope is rapidly returning.

Well done the lads and the new management team.

Getting in loanees is a source of some disagreement, geoff. I've read on here a quite compelling argument that with the play-offs out of sight (which you agree with also), and the spectre of relegation seemingly distant with the squad we have, is there a need to fritter money away to see if we can finish, say, ninth as opposed to, say, fourteenth?

I'd be inclined to go for a couple of loanees because I don't think we can write off the possibility of a drop in form and us beginning to look over our shoulder at the bottom end of the table, but I'd hope loanees now could be potential signings in the summer i.e. we take the opportunity to take a good look at some targets that may be available. A new centre half springs to mind in particular.

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:31 am

a good return from two away games, but if we could just put teams to bed,and stop some defencive errors,4 or even 6 pts would have been possible.I thought hartlepool were there to be taken on saturday,carlise were the better team first half, but when we stopped them getting in behind us, put williams and ricks up front we finnished much the better team.up the saddlers

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:37 am

well done ...went bed early last night and when i went to bed it was 1-0 but really chuffed to just find out we drew . UTS

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 am

King Crimson wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:I think the big change we're seeing is that we have regained the spirit to come back from behind in matches. These two away games (the Leeds home match too) would IMHO have been lost under Mullen, but Hutchings and O'Connor seem to have restored confidence and fight into the players. These were two very important games against teams that were capable of closing the gap on us, so to draw and maintain that gap is an excellent outcome from two long and tiring trips.

These have been two very good away results as far as I'm concerned, and it would be nice now to get some team strengthening going with the loan window now open, and see how far we can go up the table. I firmly believe it's now way too late for the play-offs, but it would be nice to achieve a decent platform for next season, and after experiencing the doldrums under Mullen, I think a real feeling of hope is rapidly returning.

Getting in loanees is a source of some disagreement, geoff. I've read on here a quite compelling argument that with the play-offs out of sight (which you agree with also), and the spectre of relegation seemingly distant with the squad we have, is there a need to fritter money away to see if we can finish, say, ninth as opposed to, say, fourteenth?

I'd be inclined to go for a couple of loanees because I don't think we can write off the possibility of a drop in form and us beginning to look over our shoulder at the bottom end of the table, but I'd hope loanees now could be potential signings in the summer i.e. we take the opportunity to take a good look at some targets that may be available. A new centre half springs to mind in particular.

Spot on, KC - no point in throwing good money after bad now we've all given up on our promotion season (copyright J Bonser, R Whalley et al, May 2008) so hang on for 2009/2010. Let's hope the hordes of missing fans turn up to help bankroll it or there's no chance then either, as the Championship turns in to the Premiership mark II, with parachutes and the bigger clubs, who can't hack it upstairs, sneering at the rest of us.

If Bonser and the club do nothing to entice old and new supporters to the club we're screwed, and based on their past efforts (incompetent, badly organised or non-existent) I'm not holding out much hope. As when Uncle Jeff took charge, we're a crap club going nowhere. Thanks for your 21 years, Bonser - glad you got something out of it.

Well done the lads for a point well earned! Pleased that they battled back, and hope that the future bodes well now that it appears there's some self-belief, tactics and management.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:29 am

Agreed with KC , any money spent now would be better spent in the summer .

2 decent away performances and results we can build on that.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 am

Even Hutch thought the penalty was iffy!

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingha ... -22903573/

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:04 pm

King Crimson wrote:

I agree. Further, winning's a habit and teams that finish one season strongly tend to start the next strongly too (although I guess that's less the case lower down the divisions, where the player turnover's higher). We don't want the players to spend the next six months mentally just drifting along. That'll make it harder to prepare them mentally for the start of a new season. Bringing in a loanee or two to freshen things up won't do any harm - especially if they're players who might be out of contract in the summer (that's how we got Gerrard, remember).

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Excellent report on the game from Carlisle's local paper.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle_united/1.511719

I'm afraid it highlights just how woeful the reporting of Walsall games has become in the E&S under Mashiter. I used to quite enjoy pointing out his latest raft of spelling mistakes, malapropisms and strangulated syntax under each report but then the E&S withdrew the facility, so now I just get depressed about the state of local journalism.

Thanks to Jon Colman of the News&Star for restoring my faith a little bit.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:32 pm

The club has let the fans know about the problems with the current budget. Match income so far is £350,000 below what was budgetted. The outlook cannot be bright for next season as the recession deepens and the team's performance this season has not done much to bring back fans who are no longer attending. We can expect that gates will be even lower next season than this.

The only way new players are going to come on loan is if others leave. Reich left so we got Williams. If Williams goes back at the end of this month then I suppose we might sign someone else on loan - maybe in a position where we have less cover than striker. We have no chance of promotion, but still a small chance of relegation, so bearing in mind our defensive weaknesses if we do get another player on loan then it should be because the manager thinks that we need cover in that department to ensure our safety.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:12 pm

bangsection wrote:Excellent report on the game from Carlisle's local paper.

I'm afraid it highlights just how woeful the reporting of Walsall games has become in the E&S under Mashiter. I used to quite enjoy pointing out his latest raft of spelling mistakes, malapropisms and strangulated syntax under each report but then the E&S withdrew the facility, so now I just get depressed about the state of local journalism.

:lol:

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/02/1 ... rs-spiirt/

Gerrard hails saddlers spiiiiiiiirrrrt

smeeeeeegggggg, smmmmeeeeeeeegggggggggg head

And of course: http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/02/1 ... -analysis/

Michael Ricketts took 84 penalties last night? :shock: :roll:

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:29 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:Excellent report on the game from Carlisle's local paper.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/02/1 ... rs-spiirt/

Gerrard hails saddlers spiiiiiiiirrrrt

smeeeeeegggggg, smmmmeeeeeeeegggggggggg head

And of course: http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/02/1 ... -analysis/

Michael Ricketts took 84 penalties last night? :shock: :roll:

I'm glad that he scored one eventually!

Haven't the E&S ever heard of proof reading?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Bernie wrote:The club has let the fans know about the problems with the current budget. Match income so far is £350,000 below what was budgetted. The outlook cannot be bright for next season as the recession deepens and the team's performance this season has not done much to bring back fans who are no longer attending. We can expect that gates will be even lower next season than this.

The only way new players are going to come on loan is if others leave. Reich left so we got Williams. If Williams goes back at the end of this month then I suppose we might sign someone else on loan - maybe in a position where we have less cover than striker. We have no chance of promotion, but still a small chance of relegation, so bearing in mind our defensive weaknesses if we do get another player on loan then it should be because the manager thinks that we need cover in that department to ensure our safety.

Reich left, so we got Williams.
Ishmel left, so we brought in no-one.

And that's before we even consider the fact that we had a 5-strong injury list at one point.
We do need to strengthen because we don't have a squad who will stay fit for the season's entirety. Maybe we thought we'd be alright at the start of the season, but 6 months down the line, we know just how weak and thin our squad is.

I agree with those saying we shouldn't bring in players for the sake of it though. Although it might be a bit too early to be trying to earmark signings for next season.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Cully wrote:Just had a report that 'T' shirt man is unsurprisingly just wearing a 'T' shirt, temperature about -2..............He's a LEGEND!

And he looks like Keith Bertschin :mrgreen:

A good point last night

At last we have a plan B this season, with a nigh on full squad to choose from

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:13 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Bernie wrote:The club has let the fans know about the problems with the current budget. Match income so far is £350,000 below what was budgetted. The outlook cannot be bright for next season as the recession deepens and the team's performance this season has not done much to bring back fans who are no longer attending. We can expect that gates will be even lower next season than this.

Reich left, so we got Williams.
Ishmel left, so we brought in no-one.

And that's before we even consider the fact that we had a 5-strong injury list at one point.
We do need to strengthen because we don't have a squad who will stay fit for its entirety. Maybe we thought we'd be alright at the start of the season, but 6 months down the line, we know just how weak and thin our squad is.

I agree with those saying we shouldn't bring in players for the sake of it though. Although it might be a bit too early to be trying to earmark signings for next season.

Have to agree, Rob. The team building done by Mullen has now been shown to be a complete disaster. He went for quality over quantity (leaving us short in the squad) and a lot of his quality (two of the key players, at least) have turned out to be crocks and another (Reich) a luxury player who he never played!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Mullen's squad building was infinitely superior to that of Richard Money.

If Money had not made such a hash of his two years of signings Mullen would not have had the impossible job of patching up a squad with only four experienced players - two of whom have their own injury problems.

I am sure that when Mullen made his summer signings he left enough money in his budget to supplement the squad as the season went on. He knew he was taking on players with injury problems, but assumed that he would be able to bring people in on loan if and when the injuries happened. Unfortunately no matter how much was designated as in the player budget at the start of the season the drop in match income of £350,000 meant that there was simply no money left in the bank to bring anyone else in unless someone else left. The responsibility for the drop in match receipts rests with Jeff Bonser, not Jimmy Mullen.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:33 pm

I may be on my own but i thought the pen was no different from the one they got two season ago to get level with us.Que sera.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm

clawtheolder wrote:I may be on my own but i thought the pen was no different from the one they got two season ago to get level with us.Que sera.

I agree, but its causing a bit of a stir ooop t'north....

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/carlisle_ ... ath=sport/

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 am

YGAs. Players and managers learn by the example set in the Premier League. Rot at the core spreads outwards.

Besides, Zaaboub was fouled. he'd never dive. :wink:

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season