Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Sunday 28/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
mel58
UTS Veteran

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Sunday 28/12/08.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:24 am

There's nothing I can add to the match reports from 'Wfc Rob', 'Belgian Saddler', Jolly Johnny', 'Chester Saddler', 'Yoda' and 'Lone Striker'.

Similar to our performance against Cheltenham, any team that was 'up for it' would have beaten us comprehensively today, additionally, any team that has serious ambitions to get anything from this season would also have beaten Tranmere given their performance.

I cannot understand the composition of our substitutes bench today. I don't care if Zaboob and Boertien cannot abide Mullen, nor he them; as two experienced players available within a small, injury-ridden squad I cannot understand any FOOTBALLING reason for them not being included (unless they have injuries I'm not aware of).

Reich's penalty seemed to be his farewell to the club. He's obviously a 'luxury' player and didn't contribute a great deal, but I'd love to see him play his part in a capable and motivated squad regularly playing to their potential rather than as one of the collection of 'human broken biscuits' our squad seems to resemble - some tasty ones here and there, a few that've been damaged in transit and don't live up to their promise, a number who fill a hole when the need arises but don't leave a memorable taste and some who are just past their 'Sell By' date.

Rhys Weston was captain today. I've always felt he's a good player who should be in the starting line-up and I believe he's as good a choice as skipper as anyone at the club. His manager leaves him out for weeks, for no reason I can fathom, now he's Captain!! Is it just me who's confused?

As a rule, I hate long-ball, 'Route One' stuff but if we're going to play it, at least give Jabo somebody to play in partnership with. The bloke worked really well today and caused their centre-backs real problems, but as he was almost always on his own there was a limit as to what he could achieve. The penalty came, as 'Rob' pointed out, from a header to Jabo by Deeney, a rare example of him not being left to do it all himself.

Rob's observation that watching WFC currently feels like a charitable act equates to the way I feel. It's as though I'm compelled to give my time, money and support in the hope that my presence will be instrumental in making a difference, whilst knowing that the factors which alter the equation are way beyond my control. I feel the players do care about what's happening at the club, even if only for reasons of self-interest, personal pride or career development, but they don't seem able to find a solution either.

If it wasn't for the good friends I see, home and away, I'd find it impossible to define anything good about watching this parody of a football team.

I can't think of anything to say about our Manager that hasn't already been said, although I find the references to his alleged problems with alcohol to be unfair, cruel and irrelevant. His appointment, and continued presence in the post, says more about the sense of purpose the club has than I can.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 am

Shocking yet again thats all I have to say about the game

MULLEN OUT

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:39 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
latviancheese wrote:The only reason we really are not in the bottom of the table is because there a few teams who are worse than us, and that says alot about the league this year.

Fundamentally, that's the reason why all teams (except for one) are not bottom in any league...

:wink: :D :wink:

:mrgreen:

But more fundamentally, this league is not that classy, and we could and should be doing better.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:16 am

Surprised no one has mentioned mullens interview on the radio afterwards.

When asked why Reich didnt start more often he said 'I choose the team and today I had to pick him 'cos I had no one else, without wanting to sound detrimental to him'

Hold on Jimmy, you've just said, you only picked a German international because the only other options were completely untried youth teamers? And you're not being detrimental?

Both me and my dad laughed out loud when we heard that.

What an idiot we have in charge.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:27 am

Same old , how much longer must we suffer this clueless inept manager . :twisted:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:49 am

geoffwhiting wrote:A totaly predictable outcome. I'd been expecting it, so strangely I couldn't feel too disappointed when the news came through, more just a feeling of resignation I guess.

If there's any positive to be taken, it's one more game nearer the sacking of this Mullen clown - and that's all ! :evil:

Whilst I too was on the edge of my seat for the last few minutes and knew the second the goal horn went on WM that we'd lost.......was the "totally predictable outcome" the same as us "inevitably" losing at Cheltenham and against Stockport? :wink:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:57 am

philthesaddler wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned mullens interview on the radio afterwards.

When asked why Reich didnt start more often he said 'I choose the team and today I had to pick him 'cos I had no one else, without wanting to sound detrimental to him'

Hold on Jimmy, you've just said, you only picked a German international because the only other options were completely untried youth teamers? And you're not being detrimental?

:lol:

Is that the mark of;

i) a clueless manager
or
ii) A manager putting a player in his place after the player has gone mouthing off to the press in the week?

Or both of course :wink:

I don't mind that actually. As I said earlier in the week, one of Mullen's big weaknesses as far as I'm concerned has been his inability to weed out the "troublemakers" in the squad. Whether we think they're good players or not, if the manager doesn't and the players in question start causing problems, he should ship them out or get them paid off and out the club (cf. Mr Money with Sonner).

All that said, the comments on here suggest that Reich did little to enhance the opinion that we should keep him.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:13 am

Funny how we always have nasty, horrible, rude, naughty players isn't it. These nasty players that have opinions - bad player, naughty player! It's always players mouthing off etc, and never inept management and the complete lack of ambition that is the root cause for players becoming unsettled is it?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 am

philthesaddler wrote:Funny how we always have nasty, horrible, rude, naughty players isn't it. These nasty players that have opinions - bad player, naughty player! It's always players mouthing off etc, and never inept management and the complete lack of ambition that is the root cause for players becoming unsettled is it?

Players become "unsettled" for all sorts of reasons. The biggest, generally, is that they're not being picked for the side. Their reaction to that can be to work harder and force their way into the team, or whinge about it and go talking to the press.

What singles out the good manager from the bad is how he deals with the latter. Can you really imagine Mr Nichol, Mr Graydon or, indeed, Mr Money putting up with the unrest caused by certain players this year?

And I wonder what the difference is between those managers and others who are not so successful? :wink: I'd suggest RESPECT from the players is a key element!

SWS1

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned mullens interview on the radio afterwards.

:lol:

Is that the mark of;

i) a clueless manager
or
ii) A manager putting a player in his place after the player has gone mouthing off to the press in the week?

Or both of course :wink:

I don't mind that actually. As I said earlier in the week, one of Mullen's big weaknesses as far as I'm concerned has been his inability to weed out the "troublemakers" in the squad. Whether we think they're good players or not, if the manager doesn't and the players in question start causing problems, he should ship them out or get them paid off and out the club (cf. Mr Money with Sonner).

All that said, the comments on here suggest that Reich did little to enhance the opinion that we should keep him.

While I take your point about "troublemakers", it must be incredibly frustrating for good, professional footballers to be subject to idiotic decisions and, apparently, selections based on bias and stupidity week in week out. There comes a breaking point where you just need to say what's on your mind; like posters on this web site.
:(

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 am

Muddle's quote is included in this report from the BBC website.

It meant a recall for former German international winger Marco Reich, days after he had spoken out in the local press about his lack of opportunities with the Saddlers.

"Have you looked at my selection? Have you looked at the players I've got to select from?" Mullen said.

"Marco might think a lot of things about himself, that's his prerogative.

"I picked him today because of the players I haven't got available to me."

Mr Motivator strikes again. What a knob!

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:45 pm

Get that sodding prat Mullen out - NOW

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Horozontal Harry wrote:Muddle's quote is included in this report from the BBC website.

It meant a recall for former German international winger Marco Reich, days after he had spoken out in the local press about his lack of opportunities with the Saddlers.

"Have you looked at my selection? Have you looked at the players I've got to select from?" Mullen said.

Mr Motivator?!? Eh?!? See my comment above, I actually think that if Mr Mullen meant to say the above, it's a perfect put down to a player who had "ideas above his station".

Put aside the fans' view on Reich for a moment..and the fact that he is clearly a technically gifted footballer.... he went to the press and effectively told them the manager was doing his job wrong by not picking him!!

In those circumstances, I'd like to have seen the manager tell him he's not welcome at the club anymore, that the remaining week(s) of his contract would be paid off and that he wouldn't be considered for selection.

As I've previously said, you can bet your life that messrs Nichol, Graydon and Money would have done that.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:32 pm

On yesterdays performance it looked like someone had told Muddle that one touch football is the future. Unfortunately he clearly took that to mean we have one touch and give it away. The amount of times that the ball was hoofed forwards only to go straight back again because there was either just Jabo on his own or even Jabo no-one up because even Jabo had been ordered back by the moron on the sidelines. Coincidently me and a mate were talking about memories of Frank Sibley during the first half :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:13 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:me and a mate were talking about memories of Frank Sibley during the first half :wink:

Oh. My. God. :shock:

Wash your mouth out now!

mel58
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:28 pm

If Reich and Zaboob are not part of Mullen's plans - and are only tolerated in the squad when we are down to the bare bones - why are they still at the club and why were they signed in the first place?
Ray Graydon's squad had a lot of 'characters' in it - I'm sure there were egos as big as Reich's to contend with - and I'm sure they often didn't see eye to eye with each other but they were successful.
Is Boertien fit or not?

MrsWS3

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

[quote="mel58"]If Reich and Zaboob are not part of Mullen's plans - and are only tolerated in the squad when we are down to the bare bones - why are they still at the club and why were they signed in the first place?
Ray Graydon's squad had a lot of 'characters' in it - I'm sure there were egos as big as Reich's to contend with - and I'm sure they often didn't see eye to eye with each other but they were successful.
Is Boertien fit or not?[/quote]

Well he's alright, but Weston is sexier :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 pm

According to tonight's Excuse & Dingle, Boertien "has a hamstring strain" (q.v.). Yeah, right, whatever!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Pedagogue wrote:According to tonight's Excuse & Dingle, Boertien "has a hamstring strain" (q.v.). Yeah, right, whatever!

Must be really serious. he's only played 30 minutes of football this month, none of it since 13 December. :shock:

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:58 pm

MrsWS3 wrote:
mel58 wrote:If Reich and Zaboob are not part of Mullen's plans - and are only tolerated in the squad when we are down to the bare bones - why are they still at the club and why were they signed in the first place?
Is Boertien fit or not?

Well he's alright, but Weston is sexier :wink:

:shock:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:55 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Put aside the fans' view on Reich for a moment..and the fact that he is clearly a technically gifted footballer.... he went to the press and effectively told them the manager was doing his job wrong by not picking him!!

In those circumstances, I'd like to have seen the manager tell him he's not welcome at the club anymore, that the remaining week(s) of his contract would be paid off and that he wouldn't be considered for selection.

As I've previously said, you can bet your life that messrs Nichol, Graydon and Money would have done that.

They might well have done.
Mullen is different however, in that he's basically in a job he's not cut out for. He's 6 months into his permanent reign as manager and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what his strongest team is. Plus, sacking Reich would be an admittance that signing him in the first place was a mistake. Mullen probably realises just how many 'mistakes' he's been responsible for already. Admitting to another one would be like knocking a nail into his own coffin.

What Reich said in the week probably wasn't the best of ideas. Having said that however, he didn't just come out with a pile of personal arrogance - he used factual statistics to exemplify how we're a better side with him than without him. That can't be argued with.

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:16 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:Muddle's quote is included in this report from the BBC website.

Mr Motivator?!? Eh?!? See my comment above, I actually think that if Mr Mullen meant to say the above, it's a perfect put down to a player who had "ideas above his station".

Put aside the fans' view on Reich for a moment..and the fact that he is clearly a technically gifted footballer.... he went to the press and effectively told them the manager was doing his job wrong by not picking him!!

In those circumstances, I'd like to have seen the manager tell him he's not welcome at the club anymore
, that the remaining week(s) of his contract would be paid off and that he wouldn't be considered for selection.

Nonsense!

Reich made his outburst last week. Mullen hadn't picked the guy for months. Clearly Mullen doesn't like the guy and by using an isolated outburst to the press as an excuse not to pick him, after he has hardly picked him all season would be a
lamentable action by a weak and pathetic manager.

Every time he talks to the media Mullen just makes things worse. Last month he told us he hadn't offered Reich a new contract because Palmers girlfriend had just had a baby! Then he told us after we beat Swindon he only changes a winning team when he has to - well he didn't have to change that particular winning team but still did - surprise surprise to bring back Palmer. He claimed to have no available forwards when playing just one up field - conveniently forgetting he was playing two forwards Deeney and Nicholls in midfield. I could go on.

If he is incompetent or stupid then he would deserve an element of pity. However, through his inane and ignorant utterances to the press he is taking all of us fans as stupid and that is unforgivable.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:54 am

Totally agree, HH.

walsallfan4eva

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:32 am

Not a bad performance i dont think off our boys be ok tho if we could play 85 mins instead of 90 but lets get behind the team and manager instead of shoutin abuse at them

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:05 am

walsallfan4eva wrote:Not a bad performance i dont think off our boys be ok tho if we could play 85 mins instead of 90 but lets get behind the team and manager instead of shoutin abuse at them

Ok Mr Muddle :D

walsallfan4eva

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:52 pm

Hows about get off their back and be propper fans and get behind the team

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 pm

If you looked at the league table,and stopped moaning,you would see that we are ny doing too bad compared to DD's reign,come on Jimmy mullen.we are all behind you mate :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:19 pm

sid swifty wrote:If you looked at the league table,and stopped moaning,you would see that we are ny doing too bad compared to DD's reign,come on Jimmy mullen.we are all behind you mate :D

Only if he is standing on the edge of a cliff :evil:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 pm

walsallfan4eva wrote:Not a bad performance i dont think off our boys be ok tho if we could play 85 mins instead of 90 but lets get behind the team and manager instead of shoutin abuse at them

Yeah, 'cause chanting old Jimmy's name is suddenly going to make him pick players in form and in the correct positions, isn't it?

Can I have a pint of whatever it is you're drinking?

Chuffing happy clappers :evil:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:28 am

sid swifty wrote:If you looked at the league table,and stopped moaning,you would see that we are ny doing too bad compared to DD's reign,come on Jimmy mullen.we are all behind you mate :D

From another thread:

"Really? According to the facts . . . . . . . . this stage last season we'd just beaten Oldham 2-0 away from home to stretch our unbeaten run to 14 games (W7 D7). We were 6th in the table, occupying the last play off position and just 2 points off of automatic promotion? Where as we now sit 10 points off the Play Offs with our last 14 reading W4 D2 L8"

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season