Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Sunday 28/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
caldy
UTS Regular

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Sunday 28/12/08.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Before this muppet ruins what is left of the season he must be sacked. If he is still here come transfer window I can see an exodus of players and us left with nothing with a bloke in charge who hasn't got a clue. Attendences at a record low and a relegation fight. MULLEN OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOBUT123

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:04 pm

It want matter sir jeff will not sack mullen he dosent care what happens to this club ! And schofield will be the next manager any way!

Mirek

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:05 pm

caldy wrote:At least we are consistent. Mullen has got to go, it's getting beyond laughable now. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wonder if the Club have got the picture of Schofield with the scarf when hes appointed as the best of the 20 applicants

I think I would sooner have Philip Schofield than Morecambe and Wise who we got now

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Are we after the record for conceding last gasp goals or what? :evil: In the last 7 games we have conceded goals at the death in FIVE matches, 4 resulting in one goal defeats [Oldham, Huddersfield, Millwall and Tranmere]. This suggests a pattern that goes way beyond bad luck, and is about a lack of application, brought about by the incompetent we have in charge.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:09 pm

A totaly predictable outcome. I'd been expecting it, so strangely I couldn't feel too disappointed when the news came through, more just a feeling of resignation I guess.

If there's any positive to be taken, it's one more game nearer the sacking of this Mullen clown - and that's all ! :evil:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:20 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:A totaly predictable outcome. I'd been expecting it, so strangely I couldn't feel too disappointed when the news came through, more just a feeling of resignation I guess.

If there's any positive to be taken, it's one more game nearer the sacking of this Mullen clown - and that's all ! :evil:

That is exactly how I feel Geoff.

HOBUT123

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Love what mullen just said "when will the penny drop" yes jim when will it drop and you know no one wants you here!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:10 pm

HOBUT123 wrote:.... and you know no-one wants you here!!

Uncle Jeff wants him...............

.............. 'cos he's cheap

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:25 pm

Very disappointing.

I await match reports from those who went with great interest. :(

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:28 pm

King Crimson wrote:Very disappointing.

I await match reports from those who went with great interest. :(

First mate who rang me

"The penalty was the first time we looked like we'd get a goal"

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Just got back.
I'm really fed up of this now. There's a complete lack of direction amongst the players on the pitch and the manager takes responsibility for nothing.
Had Mullen taken a player off and wasted 20 seconds, we'd have had a point in the bag. Deeney struggled as usual and took a knock too, so would have been the ideal candidate to be replaced. No such luck.

In terms of the team's performance, we were much like we have been for the last couple of games. We worked hard and were committed, but there's a distinct lack of ability in the side.
To start with the positives, Gerrard and Weston looked good once again, Taundry battled hard alongside Mattis, and Jabo worked his socks off, mostly to good effect. Reich used the ball well when he got it, but didn't suit the hoof-ball the likes of Palmer seem to be pre-programmed to play every single time they get the ball.
The rest of the side were just poor.
Sansara in particular had a shocker. Shuker gave him the run around all afternoon. Nicholls laziness in defending didn't help his team-mate, so it was no surprise to see the cross for the winner come from that side of the pitch.
Deeney's footballer disguise has worn off now. He just looks like a bricklayer who has won a competition to play for a League One football club. He can't pass and can't run with the ball. Oddly, his only contribution to the game was a header to Jabo in the build up to the penalty. That was all.
Palmer is so weak it's unbelievable. He can't pass either, and resorts to long ball after long ball for Jabo to chase/jump for.

I'm starting to feel like I support a charity rather than a football team. Not only do we gift points to clubs who don't have to work that hard for them, but we also give jobs to footballers who would otherwise be on the scrap heap.

I was sat in front of the Gerrard clan at the game today, and they seemed just as frustrated as I was. "It happens far too often" was said as the winning goal hit the back of the net, and that was exactly right.

Having heard Mullen's interview, I'm even more annoyed than I was at the final whistle. He takes responsibility for nothing. No wonder the players play without any sort of style - they're obviously given no direction by their manager. If we had a team of experienced professionals, we'd probably be able to get away with that, but the bare bones we have got need to be guided. That's just not happening. Mullen out.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:05 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I'm starting to feel like I support a charity rather than a football team. Not only do we gift points to clubs who don't have to work that hard for them, but we also give jobs to footballers who would otherwise be on the scrap heap.

Ouch.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:15 pm

we were atrocious today. On occasions completely shambolic at the back, clueless in midfield and abysmal up front. We were completely unable to keep the ball for more than two passes (usually one). Our lack of idea going forward was mind boggling and our defence certainly for their first was a joke.

Both fullbacks were enbarrassingly bad, the midfield created absolutely nothing and apart from Jabo running about a lot we posed absolutely no threat upfront all afternoon. The only way Reich would have touched the ball for a second time in the 90 mins was i we had got another penalty.

Yet another injury time winner for the opposition, the bovril was terrible and the less said about the burgers the better. If we had managed to take a point today it would have been the biggest joke since a league one club appointed a second hand car salesman to be manager. :wink:

motty
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:21 pm

went today listened to the crap mullen had to say an now for the first time i can honestly say i dislike him as a person.for gods sake bonsor get this prat out of our club he is even more of a joke than you are!

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Rob's report says it all really.

We were Clueless yet again.

Point eventually lost due to playing an inexperienced left back where an ex Championship full back should have been playing.

It was confirmed by someone close to the Club that we are on the right lines about the contract dispute with Boertien. I can't see him playing again this season and assume he will be offloaded in January.

The whole club is shameful really. I don't know why I bother to keep going.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:56 pm

This is turning into the most depressing season ever.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:00 pm

Got back to the warm of home a while ago and I've only just thawed out to be able to post. Boy did it get cold out there today!!

Agree with a lot of what has been said in the few posts that have appeared so far. First thing that must be said is I thought we had a decent and at times a good vocal following today, considering the weather, time of year, game 2 days ago etc. Not sure of numbers really but must have been 400+. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.

As for the game. Same old story really.

Didn't start with any interest it seemed, and decided to sit deep in midfield from as early as the 5th minute, allowing Tranny to pass the ball around a bit and not really be harried or pressed. Annoying when you consider we had an extra man in midfield. It was clear Reich was there to use the ball, not do much else and allow Mattis and Taundry to win the ball. Shame that didn't happen that effectively really. Reich did use the ball well a few times when he had it, but was in and out of the game really. Mattis worries me, he looks half the player and half as effective as when we had him on loan. He did what he did 2 days ago and lunged in with a set of studs showing not long into the first half to try and 'assert' himself in midfield but he was too patchy for me. Taundry ran around and was antagonistic but on numerous times had no idea what to do with the ball and lost it in possession, one of those times leading to the the 93rd minute goal. Deeney needs no more words as we all know what we will see. Tries hard but that's it. Out of the game far too much. Nicholls was alright, but didn't once try and go past his man to cross, but that's because he isn't a winger! :roll:

Jabo once again worked tirelessly up front, holding off and bustling past 1,2 or even 3 players at times to try and create and keep the ball. Didn't have a shot though to be honest that I can remember. Ince was fine in goal, can't really say whether he could have done anything for the goals. Weston and Gerrard looked okay at the back too, even when Savage got a little bit more into the game. Sansara showed his lack of experience at times and needed a lot of guidance from Ince and others around him. Shuker had him all over th place at times as already mentioned. Then Palmer. Awful, awful awful. Did okay when he switched to RB on Boxing Day, but today was...awful. Beaten all the time, caught out of position and continually covered by Weston and as for his passing and crossing... :x About 30% of his crosses were any decent and / or beat the first man and his passing was either a hoof or misplaced.
One telling moment was Weston coming across to collect the ball, nipped it past their winger and ran down the right to help us start an attack before playing the ball across the pitch - showing exactly what a decent full back should do. Pity we have to play him at CB. Palmer didn't once try that.

With all that said, I don't think we defended that badly today and aside from a couple of Ian Moore chances and them hitting the post, we kept them to long shots. As said, Weston and Gerrard cleared well on the main. It's midfield where we seriously lacked today. Wingers that just aren't that and so are hardly ever in the game and a centre midfield where there isn't enough quality. When we do have the ball we can't seem to retain it and do anything with it, other than hoof or lose it, it seems. This just puts more pressure than is needed on the defence so of course we are going to concede at some point. Reich is okay as a luxury player in the hole if the 2 or 4 behind him are good enough.

One last comment about the players at the end. Obviously very dejected about losing a game at the end yet again, the players trudged off looking very low and with almost an air of resignation to what is happening week in week out on the pitch, almost expecting it. Reich came towards our end to clap us and then turned around looking back to our players. He put his hands on his hips, shook his head and shrugged his shoulders, raised hands etc in disbelief, as if to say, "hey guys at least come and applaude the fans" but others weren't interested. The togetherness Sansara mentioned the other day looked a mile off to me. I have also noticed players showing emotions and 'communicating' to the fans a lot more recently. Ince shaking his head a lot whilst turned to the fans, Gerrard distanced himself on the pitch and air kicked the ground in deep frustration after the final whistle. It seems to me like these actions are trying to tell us something more than just their feelings about the result or what is happening in the game.

Very disappointing again. I'm still off to Carlisle next weekend, more to see a mate for the weekend than for the football to be honest, but you never know!

Oh yeah... Mullen OUT!

UTS

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:22 pm

After Friday's ref, I was horrified to see Lee Probert on the whistle today. Surprisingly he was OK and gave us a pen which you often would not get away from home due to the fact that Jabo most likely would not have reached the ball.

I am still in shock at losing the game in the 93rd minute to be honest. It looked like we had dealt with the final assault by Tranmere and indeed spent a fair bit of time in their half during the last ten minutes.

Having said the above, overall we were absolutely dire again today.

Ince was good - no chance with either goal

The full backs were dreadful, particularly Sansara. There is no way he is a first team player.

The centrebacks both played OK, particularly gerrard who handled the big fella up front pretty well most of the time

Taundry was the pick of the midfield for me. Deeney was useless...no way is he league 1 standard. Reich was mostly anonymous and Mattis drifted in and out. It doesn't help though that the tactics take out the midfield when we are going forward.

Up front, Nicholls was poor today, Jabo was man of the match but had to try to do it on his own as he had very poor support.

Their first goal was pub team defending from a short corner which we failed to prevent and then watched the ball travel right across the box for a tap in which I could have converted.

Our equaliser was a long punt which resulted in the pen.

The winner, to be fair was a decent finish

The first half was as bad as Friday and the second only slightly better than the first. Tranmere were also poor but at least could pass the ball to each other on the floor, something we seem unable to do.

The worst thing of all for me is the total lack of entertainment from our lot. It's bloody painful watching this, particularly when we keep getting kicked in the nuts right at the death.

As for Mullen. Can he really be happy with that performance that he sees no reason to bring on subs during the game? Also, most of the players played 2 days ago so you would think he might want to introduce some fresh legs during the last 20 minutes. The inexperienced bench is no excuse. If he doesn't want to risk them he should leave them at home. As Reich was already playing he couldn't even make his customery 91st minute switch.

His brand of football reminds me of the old third division of the 70's, tough tackling, kick and rush. Jimmy , the game has moved on and even at this level the fans are used to seeing a decent game of football

He's got to go and now

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:25 pm

As I sat watching it, one word kept hitting me; Disorganised. Nobody really knew what anyone else was doing summed up by the time a loose ball trickled into our box and 3 defenders and Ince all stood looking at it, expecting somebody else to go to it.

Weston was a good stand-in captain and tried to keep the defence organised along with Gerrard who was decent. After that however it went downhill. There wasnt so much a battle going on in midfield as a Tranmere training session as Deeny surrenderd possesion more often than not, Taundry ran a lot but didnt seem to have a specific orders, Mattis didnt look interested and at one point seemed on a one man mission to break some legs (and who can blame his frustration after every single time we had possesion we hoofed it over his head). Jabo didnt really have a great deal to feed off, and when he got the ball had virtually no options.

The sad thing is there were glimpses of so much more. Mattis in the opening spells, Taundry late in the first half, Nicholls had a few spurts. Reich was ok. But again, they dont know what they're doing, they dont know what to do when they have the ball, dont know what to do whe they lose it, dont know where anyone is when they win it back. Around the 80 minute mark we started knocking it around on the deck, and looked more threatening in those few minutes than we did all game. If only someone would organise it that way.

I dont know if it was just my view, but away support was flat. I used to look forward to away games but most people seemed to sense an inevitable outcome. Aside from a few "Jimmy Mullen, What a *******" chants, there wasnt really much. It seems Mullens killed it.

As I left the ground I was talking to a Tranmere fan. He said to me "that wasnt really football you guys played", and to be honest I went to disagree but then realised he was probably right, I'm just so used to it.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:With all that said, I don't think we defended that badly today and aside from a couple of Ian Moore chances and them hitting the post, we kept them to long shots. As said, Weston and Gerrard cleared well on the main. It's midfield where we seriously lacked today. Wingers that just aren't that and so are hardly ever in the game and a centre midfield where there isn't enough quality.

Completely agree with that bit.
There were glimmers of hope in the side. It's those glimmers which make things all the more frustrating. The likes of Weston and Gerrard are putting in very good performances every single week, but are completely cancelled out by a few of their team mates.
My worry is that we'll lose them before we get a manager in who can have them playing as part of a team who at least look like they have a clue.

Jolly Johnny wrote:The togetherness Sansara mentioned the other day looked a mile off to me. I have also noticed players showing emotions and 'communicating' to the fans a lot more recently. Ince shaking his head a lot whilst turned to the fans, Gerrard distanced himself on the pitch and air kicked the ground in deep frustration after the final whistle. It seems to me like these actions are trying to tell us something more than just their feelings about the result or what is happening in the game.

Agree again.
The odd thing is that when we score, the players all celebrate together as one and genuinely look like a happy bunch. Once things go against them, as they are more often than not, they look lost as to what to do. My guess is that they just feel at a loss as to what they should be doing. Let's be honest - the manager makes it clear every time we lose that they get a rollocking. If he had the foresight to look at himself as much as he looks at his players, he might start to see why things are going wrong.
And a word on Ince - he did plenty more than shake his head at some of the goings on today. I'm surprised the goalposts are still standing after the kicking he gave them. The expletives he screamed when we conceded the first goal summed up a lot for me.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:38 pm

yoda wrote:I dont know if it was just my view, but away support was flat. I used to look forward to away games but most people seemed to sense an inevitable outcome. Aside from a few "Jimmy Mullen, What a *******" chants, there wasnt really much. It seems Mullens killed it.

Better than at Huddersfield though wouldn't you say?

Agree about the support in terms of numbers and vocals being sadly a lot less than a couple of years ago. We were in League 2 then as well!

Lone Striker

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:40 pm

Agree with WFC Rob's views on the game. Why Mullen did not take off Deeney in stoppage time just to waste 30 seconds is beyond belief, every other manager in the football league would have made the change and we would have had a point that our battling performance just about deserved. We again showed that we are just a battling average side with a real shortage of quality, we must have the weakest, least effective players in both full back and wide midfield positions in the league.

Palmer, incapable of winning a tackle or winning a header of any kind, distribution very poor and limited to hoofing the ball forward in the vicinity of Jabo.
Sensara, positional sense poor, gets caught out far too often and not a surprise that the winning goal came from a cross from that side of the pitch.
Deeney, not sure what his role in the team is. Cannot beat a player to make room for a cross, in fact, never produces anything of any quality at all. Runs around a lot and blocks a few clearances from their back four.
Nicholls, weak and ineffective and again very little quality where it really counts. Gives no support to his full back as looks terrified to make any kind of challenge.

The spine of the team looked okay today, Ince competent as usual, Gerrard and Weston solid, Taundry and Mattis competed well but limited options when we had the ball linked to limitations mentioned above, Jabo competed well and held up the ball well.

Lets see what happens in January, however, unless we can get some quality into the side by either using the current squad more effectively, or acquiring a couple of good loan deals I fear it may be a difficult couple of months as it is inevitable we will slip nearer the bottom than we currently sit.

Over to you Mr Mullen!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Lone Striker wrote:Why Mullen did not take off Deeney in stoppage time just to waste 30 seconds is beyond belief, every other manager in the football league would have made the change and we would have had a point that our battling performance just about deserved.

Out of interest, which of our ultra-lightweight youth selection from the bench would you have put on in his place?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Exile wrote:
Lone Striker wrote:Why Mullen did not take off Deeney in stoppage time just to waste 30 seconds is beyond belief, every other manager in the football league would have made the change and we would have had a point that our battling performance just about deserved.

Out of interest, which of our ultra-lightweight youth selection from the bench would you have put on in his place?

In all seriousness Exile, I'd like to think any of my 6 a side team at University could have done a better job than Deeney, let alone a player signed to a professional League One club.
I'm not going to be too scathing of Deeney. It's the manager who puts him out on the pitch after all.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:57 pm

He only came on for four pointless minutes in the one game I've seen, so I can't comment more than to concur based on Saddlersworld reports, which usually consist of "and the pass goes to Deeney, who loses possession", or "Deeney..passes...and it's [insert opposition team name here] on the attack". That says a lot I suppose. That and his two league goals so far this season from a total 26 appearances (including off the bench). Stuff it, I agree with you. :D

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:07 pm

Not that I enjoy putting the boot in, but its also important to be aware of the situation of Deenys goals.

A 96th minute consolation goal against a side already 2 to the good, and scoring when we are already 2-0 up (and, ya know, the other team are all down the other end trying to get something back) say a lot.

I dont enjoy rubbing it in, but they're not exactly match winning goals are they?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:17 pm

But his grand total of 1 all season last season was :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:59 pm

The only reason we really are not in the bottom of the table is because there a few teams who are worse than us, and that says alot about the league this year.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:00 am

latviancheese wrote:The only reason we really are not in the bottom of the table is because there a few teams who are worse than us, and that says alot about the league this year.

Fundamentally, that's the reason why all teams (except for one) are not bottom in any league...

:wink: :D :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

latviancheese wrote:The only reason we really are not in the bottom of the table is because there a few teams who are worse than us, and that says alot about the league this year.

I'd make a different argument actually, Latvian.

I've said a few times that I think we have some really handy players at this level playing for us. The likes of Ince, Weston, Gerrard, Hughes, Jabo & Ricketts are easily good enough to be playing for a side chasing promotion. It's the rubbish mixed in amongst them and the manager who see us take up a position in the bottom half of the league.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season