Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (H) League 1 Boxing Day Friday 26/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Duke
Site Addict

Re: Stockport County (H) League 1 Boxing Day Friday 26/12/08.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:58 am

Whats going on 2 games unbeaten 2 clean sheets :shock:.

Seriously though , a very pleasing and unexpected win .

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:18 am

Echo many of the comments

Ince was my MOTM just ahead of Weston

Didn't see the same Jabo as Pleck. Some good hold up play but on more than one occasion he delayed the pass and lost possession, and then claimed to have been fouled

Thouught Ricketts first yellow was very harsh and the second, though could be argued dangerous was a genuine attempt. Interesting that both players had their feet high going for the ball. A fraction of a second was the difference between Ricketts being the one on the deck.

Agree with the balance of the side once Bradley went off and Sansara settled down.

No one has really mentioned Mattis - I thought he was awful and along with Deeney and Bradley caused the midfield to be overrun in the first half. Yesterdays midfield was lightweight and but for a decent final ball the game would have been over by half time.

The defence played well considering the amount of possesion Stockport had. Palmer was better when switched but his distribution was not great. Mulllen should tell him that it's OK for the ball to stay on the grass.

The atmosphere was dire in the first half, matching the performance ( take note Mullen - the way the team plays has a bearing). 37 minutes before the first audible song "Walking down the Wednesbury Road" went up. For 15 minutes in the second half we were the better side and during that period the crowd woke up and the atmosphere was much better up till the end of the game.

I thought the Reich substitution was weird. His mind must be in the departure lounge so why put him on when defending a 1-0 lead with 10 men. Is he likely to "die for the cause"?

Finally the ref...what a knob. Not sure I agree that he was biased though (otherwise he would have awarded a pen / sent off Sansara towards the end of the first half, deservedly). He was just fat and useless.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:05 pm

My ears are still ringing from all the passionate "Mullen Out" chants.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:02 pm

Funny moment in the first half when the ref went over to Mullen and gave him a telling off.
Stockport fans chanted "off, off, off" and some of ours joined in! Hilarious.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:My ears are still ringing from all the passionate "Mullen Out" chants.

I thought Metfan was gonna get him the sack like he did merson.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:32 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:My ears are still ringing from all the passionate "Mullen Out" chants.

I thought Metfan was gonna get him the sack like he did merson.

They'll all get him the sack with constant barracking, and vociferously making their feelings known like they did yesterday.

Power to the people!

H

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Today s game was changed totally by the substitution of Bradley. Whether he was injured I m not sure but he was so far off the pace, we were getting murdered in Midfield. Taundry gets stuck in and is not as ponderous as the aforementioned.

The balance also improved with Sansara at left back who I thought showed alot of promise amongst quite obvious moments of garbage. As was refered to previously, he does look comfortable on the ball and got in some decent blocks; only problem being is very lightweight (as for the penalty that never was)

It was nt a great performance but 2nd half the Lads "dug in" and I thought the Fans gave them good backing and stayed with the Team for the entire Match.

I doubt this is a turning point but at least it s 3 points nearer safety!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:12 pm

H wrote:Today s game was changed totally by the substitution of Bradley. Whether he was injured I m not sure but he was so far off the pace, we were getting murdered in Midfield. Taundry gets stuck in and is not as ponderous as the aforementioned.

Todays game?!

Bradley was limping badly for at least 5 minutes before he was taken off.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:21 pm

Bloody hell, how long did that first half last? I've known whole seasons pass quicker than that first 45 minutes. Tedious in the extreme. Second half was better, but still didn't deliver any hope of an improvement anytime soon. Dull, clueless football delivered by a dull and clueless manager. A win's a win I know but we'll never amount to anything with this baffoon pretending to be in charge.

Weston got man of the match for playing well and getting the goal so fair enough. Still thought it should've been Ince's mind.

sj
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:24 am

What about the shot from the halfway line by Sansara-- nearly went in.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season