Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (H) League 1 Boxing Day Friday 26/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
mel58
UTS Veteran

Re: Stockport County (H) League 1 Boxing Day Friday 26/12/08.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:26 pm

I drove 80 miles, from the in-laws, to see this game, arrived 20 minutes late and, at half time, it still seemed I'd got there too early!

The second half was better.

Ince, MOTM for me, though given that Weston scored and played well I won't begrudge him the award.
Ricketts unfortunate to get two yellows, especially given the three equally bad challenges by County players that the ref ignored. One, on Deeney, was very, very late.

Plenty of spirit following the sending off. I thought Nicholls played well again. I must say Palmer did well, a couple of really skillful bits of play. I'm worried that Bradley left the field so early - hope the injury is not too serious. Gerrard had a great 2nd half. Sansara is very good with the ball but still, understandably, lacks presence.

Hope the spirit is maintained for the visit to Tranmere.

Louise
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:51 pm

Just back from the match - god it was cold !
Anyway the good news as you all know is we won - I expected Stockport with their away record to turn us over but amazingly we got 3 points.
First half fairly dire,second half more spirited and we played much better.
Clayton for me was man of the match - he made some great saves and in my opinion kept us in the match.Hope the cries of Sign him up were heard by those that make these decisions.
Ricketts was never really at the races and his sending off annoys me when he should know better as an experienced pro - although we didnt really miss him and it seemed to galvanize the lads more.
Reich came on for his usual 5 minute cameo at the end - expect him to be gone in January.

All in all if the result is what mattered then we have the 3 points and Mullen has a stay of execution.
The performance was marginally better than Ive seen before but not enough to get me excited to think things are on the change.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:11 pm

Like Mel58, I arrived midway through the 1st half and North Staffs Saddler told me that I had missed nothing. Stockport were the better footballing team, even when it was 11 v. 11. Luckily for us, they lacked an end-product to their approach play although full credit must go to our defence.

Ince:- back to his best. 3 superb saves in the second half to keep us in it.
Palmer:- had a decent enough game and made only a few mistakes
Gerrard:- usual performance, i.e. sound and reliable, no frills
Weston:- sponsors' MotM - deserved it, just ahead of Ince.
Sansara:- dreadful 1st half. Settled down to play well after the interval
Deeney:- his usual performance, but I will say again, all the honest endeavour in the world cannot compensate for a lack of skill
Bradley:- had gone off injured by the time that I arrived
Mattis:- I have yet to be convinced by him. Not enough impact on the game
Taundry:- another honest workhorse
Nicholls:- another promising performance. He needs an extended run in a settled position (i.e. striker)
Ricketts:- Pillock to get himself sent off when already on a (harsh) yellow card
Ibehre:- fulfilling all the predictions of the Orient fans
Reich:- on for Deeney. Why?

No sign of Boertien - ill? injured? didn't send Jimmy Muddle a Christmas card?
What sort of an idiot manager sends his defensively-worst player (Reich) on for a hard-working young player (Deeney), 10 minutes from time, when trying to defend a 1-0 lead against the team with the best away record in the division? Answers, please, on a £10 note to Mr. J.W.Bonser, c/o Bescot Stadium.
What struck me today was, whenever JM and JS were shouting advice and instructions to the players, the latter just "blanked" Mullen and ignored him, while paying attention to Schofield. Now, what does that suggest to you about the players' respect for their manager?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Weston is better than roberts at centre back end of story, how many CB's at this level have the pace that rhys has, not many if any. Troy Deeney is dyer end of story.

Thats all im commenting about this match although he played better i admit im also saying on another day stockport would of tore us apart.

Glitterati

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Good win.

2 brilliant saves from Clayton Ince meant we kept a clean sheet.

We played much better once Bradley went off - he is half the player he was last season. If it wasn't for Bradley's injury, it would have been a brilliant tactical substitution by Muddle!!

Funny moment of the match when the referee was warning Muddle about something or other and the Walsall fans were chanting 'Off, Off, Off' :D

The referee was a complete idiot but why should he be different from the rest of them.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:38 pm

No point in rating the players when we had to witness the worst refereeing display of the season from an officious, tubby troll like creature that showed appalling favouritism to a jumped up bunch of cheating, diving ponces from Stockport who together with their objectional manager who apparently has been watching 'How to pretend to be a thoughtful, thrusting and dynamic manager whilst strutting along the touchline etc' were totally undeserving of any reward apart from having their coach windows broken. Jim Gannon, what a prick!

Apart from that I enjoyed the result although the rest of the game was rubbish and my legs were cold.

I would rather have spent my time discussing vascular malformations including the effect of cavernous venous malformations on brain function and behaviour together with associated treatment with Metfanwy than watch that load of Mullet inspired unorganised drivel on the pitch.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:41 pm

We weren't much cop, but three points is three points. Kudos to Ince, Weston and Gerrard for major contributions in earning them for us.

Stockport weren't a bad side, but them being 5th (or whatever they were) before kick-off just emphasizes that this really is a piss poor division this season. And we're no better than average in it. :(

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Don’t know how we managed to win that one but somehow we did even playing against 12 men for the whole of the match!!!! The ref got two bookings right but missed a blatant penalty for County and should of sent off Sansara. Thought Rickets was unlucky to get a second yellow card given some of the challenges the ref let go without even a word to the offending players.

A bonus 3 points in my book as we were completely out played in the match and only some fantastic keeping by Ince stopped us from getting a hammering.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:31 pm

Am i the only one at the match that thought Jabo was brilliant !!
For gods sakes the bloke never stopped !
And after Ricketts, the penis head, went he worked even harder !

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:33 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:Finished 1-0.

Keeps us in mid table and a much needed home win. Takes a bit of pressure off Muddle too.

There you go with the negatives just after we've won! :lol: :lol:

SWS1

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:38 pm

I've never known a season where we seem to be such a shambles off the pitch and with selection. Luckily, the lads on the pitch seem to holding their own, somehow, anyhow. Saddened though I am, I do not blame any of the players (Ince, Boertien, Gerard etc) for wanting out.
WITH A DECENT MANAGER THIS SQUAD COULD HAVE ACHIEVED SOMETHING.
Now I just hope for survival and mid-table obscurity.
I am urinated off.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:We weren't much cop, but three points is three points. Kudos to Ince, Weston and Gerrard for major contributions in earning them for us.

Stockport weren't a bad side, but them being 5th (or whatever they were) before kick-off just emphasizes that this really is a pee poor division this season. And we're no better than average in it. :(

I agree.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:49 pm

I didn't attend (working my taxi in Port Talbot) but kept tuning in my mobile phone to the latest scores. It says something for the general mood of UTS'ers that my reaction to seeing that Rhys Weston had scored for us was "There you go, another incredible Jimmy Muddle bit of positional selection, playing a full-back at centre-forward!!!" :wink:

If I was wrong in that assumption then I beg forgiveness, but I'm sure you can see the logic of it..... I still can't see us getting a result at Tranmere.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:57 pm

A comment or two on the match now on the front page.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... stockport/

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:I didn't attend (working my taxi in Port Talbot) but kept tuning in my mobile phone to the latest scores. It says something for the general mood of UTS'ers that my reaction to seeing that Rhys Weston had scored for us was "There you go, another incredible Jimmy Muddle bit of positional selection, playing a full-back at centre-forward!!!" :wink:

If I was wrong in that assumption then I beg forgiveness, but I'm sure you can see the logic of it..... I still can't see us getting a result at Tranmere.

Port Talbot, Welsh.....what are you doing there. I thought you were from Abergavenny. My brother in law used to work for British Steel - or whatever they are called now - in that place. As for me - even though my mother in law, who I am quite fond of (age 92) lives in Llanishan - I find Wales a tiresome place, particularly the road signs in two languages. Road signs are difficult enough in one language, but two is political correctness gone mad and an obstacle to road safety. I can't help but notice that all fish and chip shops in Wales (and there are a lot) restrict their shop front signs to one language, and that, of course is English. But I like Offa's Dyke and Abergavenny. :D

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:03 pm

Exile wrote:A comment or two on the match now on the front page.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... stockport/

This is just beyond the call of duty, Exile. You have become a hero of mine. Exile for Pope. :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Nothing to do with the thread, just a reply to Surrey..... yes, glorious Port Talbot, also known by many of the locals as Port Toilet - British Steel (as was) was taken over by the Dutch conglomerate Corus, and they still trade under that name despite having ben taken over again by the Indian company Tata. The only tangible result of Tata's influence has been to increase by a power of something approaching 1,000 the number of colonial faces we see in Port Talbot. Not that I mind - we get a lot of taxi business out of them, as the steelworks is about three miles from the railway station!!!

Fish and chip shops - yes, they are abundant. One of the best is in the next valley, the Rhondda valley, where in the town of Treorchy there is a huge chippie which goes by the proud name of "A fish called Rhondda".

Road signs in two languages you get used to - when I drive to England it seems strange only seeing one language! If you go to Welshpool from the south, there'e a lovely example of "minus" graffiti, where the green road-sign directing you to Welshpool has had the final letter painted out in exactly that shade of green, and it therefore says "Welshpoo".

Happy days, I'll get back to lurking, I think!!!

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Because of her advanced age - of my mother in law, that is - I am more in Llannishan than in Pleck. I like fish and chips. So, are those in Trechorchy worth a go, Welsh. Please don't send me on a long journey for a plate of grease.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:32 pm

First half, we were second best all over the pitch, apart from in areas where Gerrard and Weston were organised and alert enough to get us out of trouble. I think Bradley's injury helped us out, because their number 7 and number 10 were running the game in the midfield. Taundry might not be a lot of things, but what he does give you is a tenacity and a doggedness. I've been a critic of Taundry in the past, but I thought his fight and battle at times in the second half gave us a bit more belief.
Palmer swapping over to the right also helped us out in many ways for the simple fact that Weston covers across to the right better than he does the left. That means that he was more comfortable mopping up the pieces Palmer couldn't deal with. As for Sansara, he should have been sent off and conceded a penalty, but thanks to the poor refereeing we often see in League One, he got lucky. He's definitely a better option than Palmer because he looks to put his foot on the ball and run with it rather than hoofing it. He's not in the same league as Boertein though unfortunately, not that that looks like it will matter now.

I still don't know what happened at the start of the second half for things to improve so dramatically. I still wasn't too impressed at the way we bypassed the midfield from the back, but at least when the ball was in the final third we kept it there for a bit longer. Jabo looked like he'd found his feet again after a niggly few weeks which helped us a lot, particularly once Ricketts had seen red.
I also thought Mattis looked like he had a bit more about him today. Perhaps playing with Taundry frees him up a bit more than when he plays with Bradley.
We rode our luck at times and had Ince to thank for a really safe pair of hands and some great saves. Gerrard was also on hand to put his body on the line and make some last ditch blocks, whilst Weston had the awareness to sweep things up.

A word on the man of the match. I thought Weston was excellent today. His sheer awareness meant that he was able to clear things up from the back without causing too much panic amongst the back four. He won a lot in the air, and comfortably managed to cover Palmer at fullback, who isn't the best at defending (and that's being very kind to him). The way Weston plays however seems to opitomise the way we play as a team. He often found himself at the back, taking a couple of touches and looking for a pass before realising that the hoof was the only option. It's the fact that we're unable to make the most out of footballers like him that sees us sit in mid table rather than the playoffs. Now, if we played a couple of extra footballers rather than a bricklayer and his mate, we might start getting somewhere.

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:39 pm

I just wanted to add my thoughts to the sound opinions already given. First half we were terrible, and the ball just didn't seem to fall our way but our second half performance was from a new team I'm sure! The referee annoyed me no end and if he were in earshot would have heard some of my more colourful language, having said which, his sheer incompetence meant Sansara was let off for a dead certain penalty decision and red card from a disgusting last ditch challenge. Weston deserved his yellow card too, Ricketts' first was unfair but his second was IMO deserved but never a red card was warranted.

I was delighted when after building up a head of steam and fans getting firmly behind the team in the second half Jim Gannon did exactly the right thing and brought on a substitute to slow the momentum and we scored; the golden rule in Football/Championship Manager is NEVER make a substitution when defending a corner so they must have got it right when programming the game!

1-0 to us was a very good result for us against a good footballing team.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:47 pm

Papering over the cracks.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:29 am

Oh yeah, and just to add, 2 consecutive clean sheets. :D
Didn't think I'd be saying that at any point this season a couple of weeks or so ago.
We've had to ride our luck at times in the last couple of weeks, so I'm not going to pretend all is back to how it should be, but at least we're giving ourselves a bit more of a chance in matches.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:42 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Papering over the cracks.

Ever the doom merchant !!!
Win is a win for god sakes !
The better team lost, i will admit that, but jesus the way we dug in after Ricketts went !

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:50 am

Oh and another note, was really impressed with the Stockport support today !
Fair few there !
And on a side note i was sat with my step dad ( who is a Stockport fan for his sins ! ) and even he was IMPRESSED with Jabo !!

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:00 am

Pedagogue wrote:Like Mel58, I arrived midway through the 1st half and North Staffs Saddler told me that I had missed nothing. Stockport were the better footballing team, even when it was 11 v. 11. Luckily for us, they lacked an end-product to their approach play although full credit must go to our defence.

Ince:- back to his best. 3 superb saves in the second half to keep us in it.
Palmer:- had a decent enough game and made only a few mistakes
Gerrard:- usual performance, i.e. sound and reliable, no frills
Weston:- sponsors' MotM - deserved it, just ahead of Ince.
Sansara:- dreadful 1st half. Settled down to play well after the interval
Deeney:- his usual performance, but I will say again, all the honest endeavour in the world cannot compensate for a lack of skill
Bradley:- had gone off injured by the time that I arrived
Mattis:- I have yet to be convinced by him. Not enough impact on the game
Taundry:- another honest workhorse
Nicholls:- another promising performance. He needs an extended run in a settled position (i.e. striker)
Ricketts:- Pillock to get himself sent off when already on a (harsh) yellow card
Ibehre:- fulfilling all the predictions of the Orient fans
Reich:- on for Deeney. Why?

No sign of Boertien - ill? injured? didn't send Jimmy Muddle a Christmas card?
What sort of an idiot manager sends his defensively-worst player (Reich) on for a hard-working young player (Deeney), 10 minutes from time, when trying to defend a 1-0 lead against the team with the best away record in the division? Answers, please, on a £10 note to Mr. J.W.Bonser, c/o Bescot Stadium.
What struck me today was, whenever JM and JS were shouting advice and instructions to the players, the latter just "blanked" Mullen and ignored him, while paying attention to Schofield. Now, what does that suggest to you about the players' respect for their manager?

No offence pedagogogo thought Jabo play out his skin today. Best player on the pitch. He never stopped. Agree with mel aswell, Nicholls played well.
And can you please explain to me why you are moaning about Reich coming on ? We was closing the game down for gods sake ! Deeney was doing nowt ( as per normal ) !

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:23 am

pleck_saddler wrote:... and can you please explain to me why you are moaning about Reich coming on ? We were closing the game down for God's sake! Deeney was doing nowt (as per normal)!

I am no fan of Deeney, as you must realise from my comments, and I do recognise Reich's undoubted skills - but defending definitely ain't one of 'em! He is even worse than Ishy in that respect! :D If you want to close a game down to defend a lead then, believe me, Reich is the LAST person that you would bring on. The groundsman or a programme seller would do a better job at that than Marco! :lol: We could easily have thrown away the game in the dying minutes - AGAIN! I don't recollect Reich closing anyone down or winning any tackles.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:37 am

As our resident ref, Pedagogue - could you please tell me what offence was committed by Ibehre near the end when he took the ball to within two yards of the corner flag? I couldn't see anything against the laws of the game that merited a free kick. He didn't have his arms flailing about or anything, just had his foot on the ball, with his back to the two defenders. The assistant didn't flag for anything. I know refs sometimes give free kicks when players start 'digging' for the ball, but there was none of that even.

:?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:56 am

Sorry, but I can't recall the incident that you describe, KC. However, if Mr. Moss got it wrong then it wouldn't have been the only time that happened during the game. He looked overweight and his decision-making was inconsistent. He was far too "card-happy" in the early stages (which is indicative of poor player-management skills) and is was inevitable that someone would be sent off.

Having said that, my sympathy for Ricketts is limited because of his crass stupidity. He had already been (harshly) cautioned yet he lunged in with a wild tackle, right in front of this referee. Despite what many Saddlers fans may have said, it WAS an unnecessary, crude tackle and the Stockport player was substituted, almost immediately.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:53 am

King Crimson wrote:As our resident ref, Pedagogue - could you please tell me what offence was committed by Ibehre near the end when he took the ball to within two yards of the corner flag? I couldn't see anything against the laws of the game that merited a free kick. He didn't have his arms flailing about or anything, just had his foot on the ball, with his back to the two defenders. The assistant didn't flag for anything. I know refs sometimes give free kicks when players start 'digging' for the ball, but there was none of that even.

:?

I thought that was a strange decision too. Fair enough to add the rule to the game as it can be an anoying tactic, but unless I have missed it, sheilding the ball is still permitted.

As others have said, I thought we did OK second half. Stockport we impressive when moving forward and Ince was my MOTM for that one save alone. I thought Ricketts was way off the pace and why oh why is he our captain??? He isn't a "talker" on the pitch. Muddle keeps his job for a while longer I guess.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:56 am

Pedagogue wrote:
pleck_saddler wrote:... and can you please explain to me why you are moaning about Reich coming on ? We were closing the game down for God's sake! Deeney was doing nowt (as per normal)!

I am no fan of Deeney, as you must realise from my comments, and I do recognise Reich's undoubted skills - but defending definitely ain't one of 'em! He is even worse than Ishy in that respect! :D If you want to close a game down to defend a lead then, believe me, Reich is the LAST person that you would bring on. The groundsman or a programme seller would do a better job at that than Marco! :lol: We could easily have thrown away the game in the dying minutes - AGAIN! I don't recollect Reich closing anyone down or winning any tackles.

But closing down and winning tackles is only as important as keeping the ball - no more.
I have to admit, he barely touched the ball when he came on. The one thing he did however, was float a free kick into the corner, which I'm pretty sure led to Nicholls seeing his cross deflected behind for a corner. If we can keep the ball in the final third anyway, having players who close down and win tackles become less important.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season