Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham Town (A) League 1 Saturday 20/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Jockey
UTS Legend

Re: Cheltenham Town (A) League 1 Saturday 20/12/08.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:37 pm

Away fans are shouting

Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring
Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring

:lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Jockey wrote:we've had five two second visits to whaddon road on WM. Cheers boys

:shock: Considering there are only us, Wolves and Coventry playing. They are a disgrace

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:42 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Jockey wrote:we've had five two second visits to whaddon road on WM. Cheers boys

:shock: Considering there are only us, Wolves and Coventry playing. They are a disgrace

WM don't cover Coventry, which makes it even more of a disgrace!

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:42 pm

i'll take a point now.....be nice to nick one though :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

WM don't cover Coventry, which makes it even more of a disgrace!

:o They used to when i lived "at um"

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:50 pm

grigg for mattis....

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm

WFC_Jimmy wrote:i'll take a point now.....be nice to nick one though :D

5 mins to go..Time to hide behind the sofa.......
Last edited by chestersaddler on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm

another bizzare substitution :?

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:52 pm

FT 0-0

at least we didnt lose 8)

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:54 pm

WFC_Jimmy wrote:FT 0-0

at least we didnt lose 8)

It feels like a lose. We should be beating crup teams like them. If we had a decent manager!!
Last edited by Macca on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm

We didnt lose and kept a clean sheet at cheltenham.....

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:59 pm

On recent form (both teams) I'll settle for that.

Looks like we must have battled well (defensively) for the point

Very few attacks and one corner in 90 mins - must have been painful viewing for those good souls who made the trip

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Macca wrote: It feels like a loss. We should be beating crup teams like them.
Exactly what the Cheltenham fans are no doubt saying.

Shows how far we have gone down the pan when I am quite pleased that we've gained an unexpected point at Cheltenham !

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:03 pm

chestersaddler wrote:On recent form (both teams) I'll settle for that.

Very few attacks and one corner in 90 mins - must have been painful viewing for those good souls who made the trip

Is it just me, or do WM watch a competely different game all the rest of us :?: :?:
Apparently we so many chances in the second half.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:04 pm

All the 400 fans were singing 'WE WANT MULLEN OUT' and 'YOU'RE EVEN WORSE THAN PAUL MERSON'.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:07 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:All the 400 fans were singing 'WE WANT MULLEN OUT' and 'YOU'RE EVEN WORSE THAN PAUL MERSON'.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats the chant of the season!! Lets sing that Boxing day.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:39 pm

chestersaddler wrote:On recent form (both teams) I'll settle for that.

I agree. Not fantastic, but hardly doom-and-gloom, considering how leaky our defence has been of late. Well done guys.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Rubbish performance again according to all. Mullen OUT. Think a protest is being planned by myself and others for next week, PM me for details.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm pleased with a point given our form, particularly as we managed to keep a clean sheet in the process.

That feeling of pleasure comes with some concern however:
1. We missed a few really good chances, from how they were described on WM.
2. As negative as it sounds, any hint at positivity on the pitch will keep Mullen in his job for that bit longer.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm

We weren't great but easily had the best of the chances and really should have won the game. Ricketts hit the bar, Deeney shot wide when he should have scored and Nicholls had two chances he should have buried. On the other hand, despite Ince having a fair few saves to make, we never looked seriously threatened at the other end.

Our "supporters" weren't very impressive on the whole. Shouting Mullen Out is one thing (and nothing would make me happier than reading on Monday morning that he's been sacked), but the kind of personal abuse hurled at him was out of order, and the chap who shouted "you're a f------ c---" at Deeney during our pre-match warm-up, and then did so every few minutes during the game (stopping only when he wanted to shout the same thing at either Ince or Ricketts - hmm, what have those three got in common?) sadly got some of his friends doing the same thing by the end.

Nice to keep a clean sheet, but very disappointing that the manager failed to replace Deeney who had clearly picked up a knock and was very poor in the second half, and mystifying that Boertien was on the bench again. The game was there for the taking, but we didn't.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:All the 400 fans were singing 'WE WANT MULLEN OUT' and 'YOU'RE EVEN WORSE THAN PAUL MERSON'.

344 Saddlers according to the Cheltenham OS. Another poor away following, and further evidence, as if it were needed, that our fan base is thoroughly demoralised by an inept manager and hostile owner.

Relieved about the point, though, and a fourth clean sheet of the season.

Stockport will be a different matter, however, and on their current form I can see a bit of a boxing day hiding for us.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 pm

It show's how low we've sunk when we're pleased with a point at Cheltenham. A decent team would have taken it's chances and buried us. Ince my MOTM for two excellent 1st half saves and his high standard throughout the game.
No lack of individual effort, but no cohesion and still too much reliance on long ball, especially as our best moments came when we played a shorter game. One of those games that could have finished in a high scoring draw - if either side had got their shooting boots on.
Sporting Star report says it was "An entertaining draw". Entertainment in the comedy sense, I presume.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:We weren't great but easily had the best of the chances and really should have won the game. Ricketts hit the bar, Deeney shot wide when he should have scored and Nicholls had two chances he should have buried. On the other hand, despite Ince having a fair few saves to make, we never looked seriously threatened at the other end.

Our "supporters" weren't very impressive on the whole. Shouting Mullen Out is one thing (and nothing would make me happier than reading on Monday morning that he's been sacked), but the kind of personal abuse hurled at him was out of order, and the chap who shouted "you're a f------ c---" at Deeney during our pre-match warm-up, and then did so every few minutes during the game (stopping only when he wanted to shout the same thing at either Ince or Ricketts - hmm, what have those three got in common?) sadly got some of his friends doing the same thing by the end.

Nice to keep a clean sheet, but very disappointing that the manager failed to replace Deeney who had clearly picked up a knock and was very poor in the second half, and mystifying that Boertien was on the bench again. The game was there for the taking, but we didn't.

Yep - spot on.

Anyone who's pleased with the point, don't be. Cheltenham were abysmal and there for the taking. They started brightly and Ince did keep us in it a bit in the first twenty minutes, but then they ran out of ideas and we really should have had enough to take the points. But nobody seemed interested in forcing the issue (least of all the manager). Maybe at least one substitution before stoppage time would have helped on that score!

As for the fans, what do you expect? I didn't hear too much personal abuse of Mullen (lots of "Mullen Out", "You're even worse than Merson" and "You don't know what you're doing", but only the occasional isolated shout that was worse). Yes, the guy shouting at Deeney was a tool, but he was pretty much on his own.
Last edited by Plastic Hawk on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:We weren't great but easily had the best of the chances and really should have won the game. Ricketts hit the bar, Deeney shot wide when he should have scored and Nicholls had two chances he should have buried. On the other hand, despite Ince having a fair few saves to make, we never looked seriously threatened at the other end.

My heart sinks when I read stuff like that, it really does.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Our "supporters" weren't very impressive on the whole. Shouting Mullen Out is one thing (and nothing would make me happier than reading on Monday morning that he's been sacked), but the kind of personal abuse hurled at him was out of order, and the chap who shouted "you're a f------ c---" at Deeney during our pre-match warm-up, and then did so every few minutes during the game (stopping only when he wanted to shout the same thing at either Ince or Ricketts - hmm, what have those three got in common?) sadly got some of his friends doing the same thing by the end.

That's disappointing to hear.
I have problems with both Mullen and Deeney, but they all stem from the fact that both are sub-standard at what they do on and around the football pitch - nothing personal.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Thought the Mullen out and Worse than Paul Merson songs were justified but some moronic supporters near the front that just slagged Ricketts every minute need shooting (especially when they went to try and get his shirt at the end :? :lol: )

Well done the fans, more vocal than the few that went to Huddesfield and hopefully the message might start getting through.

Boertain on the bench with Sansara starting????? Dear me, another Muddle masterpiece. My 7 year old girl could have knocked Sansara off the ball today.

Please, Mullen, all I ask for 1 match is Players in CORRECT positions. Nicholls worked his socks off again today and at times was playing, Left back, left wing and up front!!!!!

Ahh welll rant over. :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Please, Mullen, all I ask for 1 match is Players in CORRECT positions.

Closest we've come by my reckoning was the first half against Swindon (due to Palmer being unavailable, Taundry 'rested' etc.). Guess what? We played some decent stuff and went in at half time 1-0 up.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:00 pm

This is the season the club's stated intention is to get promoted to the Championship. The fact that it's only December and we're seeing posts saying that people are happy with a draw at Cheltenham shows what a false promise that was and what a complete and utter balls up he's made of this club.

Mullen out, Bonser out.

Kiwi Saddler

Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Interesting comparision today with the game in the Mickey Mouse cup two months ago. On that occasion we worked hard and had sufficient quality to overcome poor opponents. Cheltenham hadn't improved but we lacked both motivation and a coherent game plan. Bradley and Ricketts sporadically showed their ability but Ricketts was largely isolated up front and needed more support. Deeney is not a wide player, although his confidence won't have been helped by some of the abuse from the crowd.

Such abuse, whether aimed at players, manager or chairman and whether justified or not will never help us win football games. All it does is further damage individual and team morale. Can we not support the players wholeheartedly for ninety minutes and vent our frustration at the final whistle?

It seems pointless to hurl abuse at Mullen as, we all know, that Bonser will not remove him unless we a) fall into the relegation zone or b) he finds a way of doing so without having to pay up the contract. I don't think Mullen is as bad as Merson, a comparison with Kenny Hibbitt is more apt and remember that Hibbitt was given four years, in a lower division.

Normally I would be satisfied with our points tally from away games at this stage of the season but, given our inability to win at home, the concern is that we are falling into a relegation battle.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Cheltenham started brightly & made incey make a few saves, the had most of the ball but were abysmal upfront. We played football for 1 3 period second in which deeney hit the bar, when he really shoulf have absolutely buried the chance,ricketts hit the bar intercepting play a couple of minutes before. Second half we pretty much hammered them chances wise, nicholls could have had a hatrick, there were lots of close calls & plenty of moment that it just didnt quite happen. We were mostly poor otherwise though, although as a positive whenver we went forward we looked like being creative. Cheltenham had lots of possession agian and a lot of corners but were awful with thoose. NO substitions, no co-oridnation through the team, no drive, no sense of direction, no tactics, just god darn awful management. Martin allen if an inbred ,over rated idiot, but he used 3 substitutions at the right times to his team's advantages.

Deeney was awful, ricketts was back to his usual self, bradley looks scared, palmer was crud.

Get rid of the manager, get rid of the chairman, before things go awfully wrong.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season