Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham Town (A) League 1 Saturday 20/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Cheltenham Town (A) League 1 Saturday 20/12/08.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:08 pm

A point's better than nothing. Glad we kept a clean sheet.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Bangor said "Rubbish performance again according to all. Mullen OUT. Think a protest is being planned by myself and others for next week, PM me for details."

So you didn't go?
Will you be going to the protest you organise or will you be doing that in the same manner?
It's an away point my friend.
I suppose you think our "weight" is top of the Premier League or is that not good enough?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:28 pm

Whitters wrote:Bangor said "Rubbish performance again according to all. Mullen OUT. Think a protest is being planned by myself and others for next week, PM me for details."

So you didn't go?
Will you be going to the protest you organise or will you be doing that in the same manner?
I suppose you think our "weight" is top of the Premier League or is that not good enough?

What a silly person you are. I was there at Brentford when me and my fellow friends got rid of Merson. I will, and I hope many will bring banners and put signs up around the ground. An away point against crud like Cheltenham ? Rubbish.

I think we should be aiming to become a lower level championship club. That is called ambition. However our completely inept management and awful chairman will never make that happen. I stood up and was counted earlier in the week, I just hope people like you finally work out what the game of football really is, and what's going on at OUR football club.

Bonser OUT, Mullen OUT.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Whitters wrote:Bangor said "Rubbish performance again according to all. Mullen OUT. Think a protest is being planned by myself and others for next week, PM me for details."

So you didn't go?

Well I did go.

An away point, obviously, but with a bit of nous by our "best man for the job" manager it could and should have been three. We shouldn't, for example, have played an out-of-position, lightweight, 5'7" 'utility' player at right back against a much taller and stronger, wide left player that Cheltenham had. Do we not do any scouting of our opponents now?

Palmer was outmuscled, outfought and knocked off the ball far too often and far too easily today, imho. I'm told he takes a good corner? Only problem with that is that you need to playing well enough to get a corner in the first place. How many corners did we get today?

If I (and many others) can see very simple and obvious faults with the team selection, such as this, why can't Jimmy Muddle?

Only my opinion, of course. :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:46 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:

So you didn't go?

Well I did go.

An away point, obviously, but with a bit of nous by our "best man for the job" manager it could and should have been three. We shouldn't, for example, have played an out-of-position, lightweight, 5'7" 'utility' player at right back against a much taller and stronger, wide left player that Cheltenham had. Do we not do any scouting of our opponents now?

Palmer was outmuscled, outfought and knocked off the ball far too often and far too easily today, imho. I'm told he takes a good corner? Only problem with that is that you need to playing well enough to get a corner in the first place. How many corners did we get today?

If I (and many others) can see very simple and obvious faults with the team selection, such as this, why can't Jimmy Muddle?

One - in stoppage time.

It did look dangerous though... :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:06 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Willy Nilly wrote:

So you didn't go?

Well I did go.

One - in stoppage time.

It did look dangerous though... :wink:

...and good enough to make Championship clubs sit up and take notice, so he must really be our best player. :roll:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 am

Kiwi Saddler wrote:Interesting comparision today with the game in the Mickey Mouse cup two months ago. On that occasion we worked hard and had sufficient quality to overcome poor opponents. Cheltenham hadn't improved but we lacked both motivation and a coherent game plan. Bradley and Ricketts sporadically showed their ability but Ricketts was largely isolated up front and needed more support. Deeney is not a wide player, although his confidence won't have been helped by some of the abuse from the crowd.

Such abuse, whether aimed at players, manager or chairman and whether justified or not will never help us win football games. All it does is further damage individual and team morale. Can we not support the players wholeheartedly for ninety minutes and vent our frustration at the final whistle?

It seems pointless to hurl abuse at Mullen as, we all know, that Bonser will not remove him unless we a) fall into the relegation zone or b) he finds a way of doing so without having to pay up the contract. I don't think Mullen is as bad as Merson, a comparison with Kenny Hibbitt is more apt and remember that Hibbitt was given four years, in a lower division.

Normally I would be satisfied with our points tally from away games at this stage of the season but, given our inability to win at home, the concern is that we are falling into a relegation battle.

I disagree to an extent, I think the MULLEN OUT chants were justified during the game and the majority of the players know that MOST of the frustration is aimed at baffling team choices not them, infact they were clapped off at the end while the fans were still singing for Mullens head?!?!?!

MrsWS3

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:08 am

Cheesebag wrote:
Kiwi Saddler wrote:Interesting comparision today with the game in the Mickey Mouse cup two months ago. On that occasion we worked hard and had sufficient quality to overcome poor opponents. Cheltenham hadn't improved but we lacked both motivation and a coherent game plan. Bradley and Ricketts sporadically showed their ability but Ricketts was largely isolated up front and needed more support. Deeney is not a wide player, although his confidence won't have been helped by some of the abuse from the crowd.

Such abuse, whether aimed at players, manager or chairman and whether justified or not will never help us win football games. All it does is further damage individual and team morale. Can we not support the players wholeheartedly for ninety minutes and vent our frustration at the final whistle?

It seems pointless to hurl abuse at Mullen as, we all know, that Bonser will not remove him unless we a) fall into the relegation zone or b) he finds a way of doing so without having to pay up the contract. I don't think Mullen is as bad as Merson, a comparison with Kenny Hibbitt is more apt and remember that Hibbitt was given four years, in a lower division.

Normally I would be satisfied with our points tally from away games at this stage of the season but, given our inability to win at home, the concern is that we are falling into a relegation battle.

I disagree to an extent, I think the MULLEN OUT chants were justified during the game and the majority of the players know that MOST of the frustration is aimed at baffling team choices not them, infact they were clapped off at the end while the fans were still singing for Mullens head?!?!?!

I agree with you Cheesebag, I was there yesterday and I think the supporters made it quite clear it was Mullen who we are angry with. I actually thought the players seemed to agree with us judging by they way they came over at the end of the game to applaud us. (IMHO)

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:29 am

MrsWS3 wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:

I agree with you Cheesebag, I was there yesterday and I think the supporters made it quite clear it was Mullen who we are angry with. I actually thought the players seemed to agree with us judging by they way they came over at the end of the game to applaud us. (IMHO)

Couldn't agree more, most of the players have NO respect for Mullen, I think they too are frustrated with his "lottery" systems, the sooner he goes the better. I mean, if you had Weston, Gerrard, and Boertain available surely you MUST play them.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 am

Suppose we should be happy with a clean sheet and a point .
We can foget any hopes of making the play off , if we cannot beat struggling teams.

Stockport and Tranmere will be much tougher tests.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Duke wrote:Suppose we should be happy with a clean sheet and a point .
We can foget any hopes of making the play off , if we cannot beat struggling teams.

Stockport and Tranmere will be much tougher tests.

I think Cheltenham papers will be saying the same this morning ! :?

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:29 pm

to true .... it was a poor result in honest .

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:31 pm

MrsWS3 wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:

I would also add my confirmation to that. Sitting behind Cheesebag and the mini cheddars for the game, Ricketts and Deeney quite happily came over and gave their shirts to two members of the away support. Weston and Gerrard came and applauded the fans (they were at our end for our one and only corner in the 92nd minute) and Incey joined in having made his way from the far end.

The game was there for the taking after the first half hour but as somebody said above there was absolutely no cohesion about our play at all. Netan seemed paralysed with fear in the first half and didn't tackle or I think even touch the ball - but he did seem to improve in the second half. Clearly their huge no 10 was put on Palmer and Bradley and Taundry worked overtime to support Palmer to try and contain him.

I think it is fair to say all the players put a shift in and worked hard to secure the point but quality was scarce and for the Sporting Star to descibe it as entertaining was journalistic licence one step too far !!!

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:32 pm

"We weren't great but easily had the best of the chances and really should have won the game. Ricketts hit the bar, Deeney shot wide when he should have scored and Nicholls had two chances he should have buried. On the other hand, despite Ince having a fair few saves to make, we never looked seriously threatened at the other end."

totally agree. there's no need to start harping on about racism again though.

the series of:
"Martin, Give us a wave" to MA from the CT fans,
followed by:
"Martin Allen, What a winker, What a winker" from us,
followed by:
"Jimmy Mullen, What a winker, What a winker" was, erm, interesting.

i really can't bring myself to call for his head. although the shouts of "Mullen Out" were plenty load enough without my contribution. i just can't help feeling sorry for him, and that must have been tough for him yesterday. it ought to have already been taken out of our 'hands' by now really, although accepting that some of our squad are less committed than we would like i can't really see how he could have selected a stronger team in a stronger formation. expect perhaps boertien. and i have to say i didnt see any point in making changes when those around me were calling for them...as i kept thinking a goal would come, and there was noone really letting the side down who needed to be hauled off.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:16 pm

As an innocent bystander in the war zone, I can confirm that the "JM - what a winker" chant was originated by "Steve", one of the main culprits going berserk at Deeney was "Kevin", and the idiot who thought it was amusing to bellow that Mullen is a "f****** c***" was "Joe".
Steve did have a word with Kevin at half-time, telling him it was unfair to have a pop at Deeney, or any of the players, since it wasn't their fault they had been selected ahead of "better" players - totally agree.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:54 pm

After 20 years of JB's glorious reign we now have a team which is the match of mighty Cheltenham in ability, ambition and support. Ah happy days!

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:58 pm

geoff skillet wrote:"We weren't great but easily had the best of the chances and really should have won the game. Ricketts hit the bar, Deeney shot wide when he should have scored and Nicholls had two chances he should have buried. On the other hand, despite Ince having a fair few saves to make, we never looked seriously threatened at the other end."

totally agree. there's no need to start harping on about racism again though.

the series of:
"Martin, Give us a wave" to MA from the CT fans,
followed by:
"Martin Allen, What a winker, What a winker" from us,
followed by:
"Jimmy Mullen, What a winker, What a winker" was, erm, interesting.

i really can't bring myself to call for his head. although the shouts of "Mullen Out" were plenty load enough without my contribution. i just can't help feeling sorry for him, and that must have been tough for him yesterday. it ought to have already been taken out of our 'hands' by now really, although accepting that some of our squad are less committed than we would like i can't really see how he could have selected a stronger team in a stronger formation. expect perhaps boertien. and i have to say i didnt see any point in making changes when those around me were calling for them...as i kept thinking a goal would come, and there was noone really letting the side down who needed to be hauled off.

I haven't been since the Luton game but I don't see how you can feel sorry for him. It's not as though the answer to our problems lie in some deep, inaccessible place where only those with superhuman powers can reach.

All he has to do is play the right players in their correct positions like against Swindon. If he did that a lot of the abuse would stop. Unfortunately he is either too stupid, or too stubborn to realise that, and as a result in my opinion he deserves no sympathy whatsoever.

Most of his problems are self inflicted. I would rather feel sorry for the hundreds of thousands of people who were good at their jobs but lost them recently through no fault of their own, rather than for one man who has a well paid job, but doesn't seem to be making much of an attempt to keep it.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:57 pm

fair point. and can't argue.

although i do know, as MMF has said elsewhere, that some of the players are doing their best to rule themselves out, without any help from JM.

and that somehow i just can't see myself hurling abuse at him in a thousand years. he just seems too 'nice' for that.

presumably it won't be long now though, anyway.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:23 pm

PJD wrote:After 20 years of JB's glorious reign we now have a team which is the match of mighty Cheltenham in ability, ambition and support. Ah happy days!

A club transformed don't ya know!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:19 pm

tinned wrote:
PJD wrote:After 20 years of JB's glorious reign we now have a team which is the match of mighty Cheltenham in ability, ambition and support. Ah happy days!

A club transformed don't ya know!

Yeah, TRIFFICK ay it !! :?

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 am

Cheltenham are certainly a club transformed compared to the 1988 version

blobbyh

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:29 am

Well said Whitters - Yes the Premiership is where we belong ...........
You have to remember these are the same people that shouted sack the dingle when we were in the Championship under Colin Lee and who moaned non stop when we went up as champions - out whatever they call that league now - a few short seasons ago. One thing Walsall can lay claim to is that we can really and I mean really and truly turn on our own team and Club. I don't know the stats but we are truly exceptional at sacking managers.

When I was a kid in the St End there was a bloke at every home game who stood at the back and shouted how bad we were continuously. I always used to ask my old man why he bothered coming if he thought we were so bad - and all he ever said was well he's paid his money just like us - and his mrs was probably a right cow and this was his only chance to vent his frustration.

We have always underachieved - maybe always will - the Club has in my memory always had a chairman that has done us over. But we faced the adversity with humour and genuine love of Walsall. No one said supporting Walsall was easy - take a look how Aldridge empties when Villa play or how many are round the Sky screen in the pub when Man U are on. They have made their choice and we have made ours now either support the team or go. I would rather have 500 at home games if they all got behind the team.

By the way I happen to think a point away against anyone will do right now thank you. Who are we to say that we should beat the likes of Cheltenham - because we are such a big Club!!!!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 pm

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:39 pm

blobbyh wrote:Well said Whitters - Yes the Premiership is where we belong ...........
You have to remember these are the same people that shouted sack the dingle when we were in the Championship under Colin Lee and who moaned non stop when we went up as champions - out whatever they call that league now - a few short seasons ago. One thing Walsall can lay claim to is that we can really and I mean really and truly turn on our own team and Club. I don't know the stats but we are truly exceptional at sacking managers.

When I was a kid in the St End there was a bloke at every home game who stood at the back and shouted how bad we were continuously. I always used to ask my old man why he bothered coming if he thought we were so bad - and all he ever said was well he's paid his money just like us - and his mrs was probably a right cow and this was his only chance to vent his frustration.

We have always underachieved - maybe always will - the Club has in my memory always had a chairman that has done us over. But we faced the adversity with humour and genuine love of Walsall. No one said supporting Walsall was easy - take a look how Aldridge empties when Villa play or how many are round the Sky screen in the pub when Man U are on. They have made their choice and we have made ours now either support the team or go. I would rather have 500 at home games if they all got behind the team.

By the way I happen to think a point away against anyone will do right now thank you. Who are we to say that we should beat the likes of Cheltenham - because we are such a big Club!!!!

What an absolute bag of cack!

The vast majority of Walsall fans don't care where we are in the league pyramid (obviously preferring us to be as high as possible) as long as everyone at the club is pulling in the same direction. As long as that is happening then most will applaud their efforts, even if it does end in disappointment.

The reason that many, many fans are so criticial now is that is patently obvious to anyone that cares to open their eyes and take a long hard look at reality that not everyone at the club is doing their all for the greater good. Some people are slowly strangling the club for the benefit of their own ends ..... and why shouldn't they?

You keep kidding yourself that it's just a few fans that demand Premier League football that are moaning if that makes you feel better :roll:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 pm

tinned wrote:
blobbyh wrote:Well said Whitters - Yes the Premiership is where we belong ...........

What an absolute bag of cack!

The vast majority of Walsall fans don't care where we are in the league pyramid (obviously preferring us to be as high as possible) as long as everyone at the club is pulling in the same direction. As long as that is happening then most will applaud their efforts, even if it does end in disappointment.

The reason that many, many fans are so criticial now is that is patently obvious to anyone that cares to open their eyes and take a long hard look at reality that not everyone at the club is doing their all for the greater good. Some people are slowly strangling the club for the benefit of their own ends ..... and why shouldn't they?

You keep kidding yourself that it's just a few fans that demand Premier League football that are moaning if that makes you feel better :roll:

It also ignores the fact that the TV revenues have long ago made sure that a club doing another Wimbledon is virtually impossible and, if anyone does think we could get into the Premiership, they're delusional. What's worse, this season is crucial, because the same thing is just about to happen with the new TV deal for the Championship. Not going up this season just makes it far more difficult in the future.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Neil is spot on , the new TV deal will see a huge gap open between the championship and league 1.
we've or should i say our owner as missed the boat.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:09 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:It also ignores the fact that the TV revenues have long ago made sure that a club doing another Wimbledon is virtually impossible and, if anyone does think we could get into the Premiership, they're delusional. What's worse, this season is crucial, because the same thing is just about to happen with the new TV deal for the Championship. Not going up this season just makes it far more difficult in the future.

Spot on Neil. This season is crucial.

Where we differ in our views is that I honestly believe that the quality of players we brought in was geared towards a promotion push (if not the quantity!) and I also happen to think that Mr Bonser believed Mr Mullen was the man to lead the team in that push. Let's not forget the credit which we all (or vast majority at least) gave Mr Mullen for the long unbeaten spell last season. I remember many posters commenting on the fact that the run coincided with his appointment.

However, it's now fairly clear that he isn't the right person to lead us to those giddy heights. And either Mr Bonser admits that quickly and makes a "miracle" appointment, or we are indeed going to miss that boat.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:26 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:It also ignores the fact that the TV revenues have long ago made sure that a club doing another Wimbledon is virtually impossible and, if anyone does think we could get into the Premiership, they're delusional. What's worse, this season is crucial, because the same thing is just about to happen with the new TV deal for the Championship. Not going up this season just makes it far more difficult in the future.

Spot on Neil. This season is crucial.

Where we differ in our views is that I honestly believe that the quality of players we brought in was geared towards a promotion push (if not the quantity!) and I also happen to think that Mr Bonser believed Mr Mullen was the man to lead the team in that push. Let's not forget the credit which we all (or vast majority at least) gave Mr Mullen for the long unbeaten spell last season. I remember many posters commenting on the fact that the run coincided with his appointment.

However, it's now fairly clear that he isn't the right person to lead us to those giddy heights. And either Mr Bonser admits that quickly and makes a "miracle" appointment, or we are indeed going to miss that boat.

Agree about the quality and the quantity of players in the squad, but do you really believe that Bonser thought Mullen was the best man for the job of getting us promoted??!! Did you believe he was the best man for the job? Did anyone on this board believe he was the best man? That's a genuine question, by the way. I am willing to be corrected, but in the lead up to the appointment of Muddle i can't remember one voice saying he was the best man for the job.

In actual fact he was the only man for the job, because he was the only one so desperate to get back into management, after 10 years in the wilderness, that he would have taken the job under any conditions that JB wanted to impose. Others have more ambition and pride.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 pm

PJD wrote:Agree about the quality and the quantity of players in the squad, but do you really believe that Bonser thought Mullen was the best man for the job of getting us promoted??!! Did you believe he was the best man for the job? Did anyone on this board believe he was the best man? That's a genuine question, by the way. I am willing to be corrected, but in the lead up to the appointment of Muddle i can't remember one voice saying he was the best man for the job.

In actual fact he was the only man for the job, because he was the only one so desperate to get back into management, after 10 years in the wilderness, that he would have taken the job under any conditions that JB wanted to impose. Others have more ambition and pride.

No PJD, in answer to your question,I personally didn't believe he was the BEST man for the job.

But you have to look at Mr Bonser's history in appointing managers. We were never going to get a "big name". He loves to appoint what he regards as "hungry" managers with a point to prove. That applies to Mr Graydon, Mr Lee, yes even merson, Mr Money and now Mr Mullen.

Of course, he also looks to appoint someone who will work within the structure and limitations of the club. If he personally believes in that structure, it would be odd if he were not to appoint someone who would fit in with it.

Therefore in those circumstances, yes I DO believe that Mr Bonser thought Mr Mullen was the right appointment and could guide us towards play-offs at the very least.

It's been said before, but I'll reiterate it......it's most definitely in Mr Bonser's interests to get into the championship next season. Assuming he is looking to cash in at some point, the business will be worth far more at that level and, even if that didn't happen, the one season up in the next league would provide huge amounts of income which would see us through several years.

Taking all that into account, I see the current situation as a mistake, but nothing more sinister. The test of the chairman is whether he will see the error of his ways quickly enough. He must feel under pressure, assuming that the above scenario is correct, as the goal of promotion slips away and we head towards the wrong end of the table.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Bangor said "I will, and I hope many will bring banners and put signs up around the ground."

When you're making the banners Bangor, don't forget that you shouldn't make the name of the person you want out permanent.
That way you can re-use the banners on the next manager or chairman.
Oh, and thanks for getting rid of Merson for us all.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season