Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham Town (A) League 1 Saturday 20/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Cheltenham Town (A) League 1 Saturday 20/12/08.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
PJD wrote:Agree about the quality and the quantity of players in the squad, but do you really believe that Bonser thought Mullen was the best man for the job of getting us promoted??!! Did you believe he was the best man for the job? Did anyone on this board believe he was the best man? That's a genuine question, by the way. I am willing to be corrected, but in the lead up to the appointment of Muddle i can't remember one voice saying he was the best man for the job.

In actual fact he was the only man for the job, because he was the only one so desperate to get back into management, after 10 years in the wilderness, that he would have taken the job under any conditions that JB wanted to impose. Others have more ambition and pride.

No PJD, in answer to your question,I personally didn't believe he was the BEST man for the job.

But you have to look at Mr Bonser's history in appointing managers. We were never going to get a "big name". He loves to appoint what he regards as "hungry" managers with a point to prove. That applies to Mr Graydon, Mr Lee, yes even merson, Mr Money and now Mr Mullen.

Of course, he also looks to appoint someone who will work within the structure and limitations of the club. If he personally believes in that structure, it would be odd if he were not to appoint someone who would fit in with it.

Therefore in those circumstances, yes I DO believe that Mr Bonser thought Mr Mullen was the right appointment and could guide us towards play-offs at the very least.

It's been said before, but I'll reiterate it......it's most definitely in Mr Bonser's interests to get into the championship next season. Assuming he is looking to cash in at some point, the business will be worth far more at that level and, even if that didn't happen, the one season up in the next league would provide huge amounts of income which would see us through several years.

Taking all that into account, I see the current situation as a mistake, but nothing more sinister. The test of the chairman is whether he will see the error of his ways quickly enough. He must feel under pressure, assuming that the above scenario is correct, as the goal of promotion slips away and we head towards the wrong end of the table.

Come on Shrops, have a day off!

Do you really think Bonser took 5 weeks to appoint Muddle because he was the best candidate for the job? Bonser himself said he was thrilled with the quality of the candidates. He even told us there was a late application that was so impressive that it deserved delaying the announcement for. After all that you really believe that Bonser decided Muddle was the top candidate? Muddle was pure and simply the best candidate that would accept the pathetic restrictions imposed (i.e. he was probably way down the list).

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:35 am

tinned wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:
PJD wrote:Agree about the quality and the quantity of players in the squad, but do you really believe that Bonser thought Mullen was the best man for the job of getting us promoted??!! Did you believe he was the best man for the job? Did anyone on this board believe he was the best man? That's a genuine question, by the way. I am willing to be corrected, but in the lead up to the appointment of Muddle i can't remember one voice saying he was the best man for the job.

In actual fact he was the only man for the job, because he was the only one so desperate to get back into management, after 10 years in the wilderness, that he would have taken the job under any conditions that JB wanted to impose. Others have more ambition and pride.

No PJD, in answer to your question,I personally didn't believe he was the BEST man for the job.

But you have to look at Mr Bonser's history in appointing managers. We were never going to get a "big name". He loves to appoint what he regards as "hungry" managers with a point to prove. That applies to Mr Graydon, Mr Lee, yes even merson, Mr Money and now Mr Mullen.

Of course, he also looks to appoint someone who will work within the structure and limitations of the club. If he personally believes in that structure, it would be odd if he were not to appoint someone who would fit in with it.

Therefore in those circumstances, yes I DO believe that Mr Bonser thought Mr Mullen was the right appointment and could guide us towards play-offs at the very least.

It's been said before, but I'll reiterate it......it's most definitely in Mr Bonser's interests to get into the championship next season. Assuming he is looking to cash in at some point, the business will be worth far more at that level and, even if that didn't happen, the one season up in the next league would provide huge amounts of income which would see us through several years.

Taking all that into account, I see the current situation as a mistake, but nothing more sinister. The test of the chairman is whether he will see the error of his ways quickly enough. He must feel under pressure, assuming that the above scenario is correct, as the goal of promotion slips away and we head towards the wrong end of the table.

Come on Shrops, have a day off!

Do you really think Bonser took 5 weeks to appoint Muddle because he was the best candidate for the job? Bonser himself said he was thrilled with the quality of the candidates. He even told us there was a late application that was so impressive that it deserved delaying the announcement for. After all that you really believe that Bonser decided Muddle was the top candidate? Muddle was pure and simply the best candidate that would accept the pathetic restrictions imposed (i.e. he was probably way down the list).

Or, what Bonser said was an out and out lie.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:30 am

Its obvious the best candidate for the job was not Jimmy Mullen , Bonser made it the clear any new manager would have to be prepared to work with Mullen and Taylor . nothing to do with budgets or managers wages .
Kelly would have signed had he been allowed to bring in his own back room staff and players.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:20 pm

saddlersam wrote:..or, what Bonser said was an out and out lie.

No, surely not? 8) :wink:

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season