Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 13/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Duke
Site Addict

Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 13/12/08.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:05 am

Second in the table in form Millwall visit the Banks's Stadium on this festive fun day.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,, ... 53,00.html

Form guide The Lions last 6 league games.

Hereford - home -won 1-0
Brighton - away - lost 1-4
Stockport - home - won 1-0
Orient - away - drew 0-0
Carlisle - home - won 1-0
Brisrtol Rovers - home - won 3-2.

The defeat at Bighton was Millwall's only defeat in 13 games in all competitions , 39 points fron 19 games see's Kenny Jacketts team just 2 points behind leaders Leicester .

Prediction - Heart 1-0 home win , head we'll get hammered.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 13/12/08.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:08 am

Bunch of homers from those stats. We'll batter 'em.

1-1

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Millwall 2 - Walsall 0 :(

gerryhatrick to protest to Bonser through the medium of Bulgarian folk dancing.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:Bunch of homers from those stats. We'll batter 'em.

1-1

:lol:

2-2. Nicholls with both of ours.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Walsall 1-2 Millwall

Geoff Whiting's brass rubbing outing to Stowmarket to end in calamity after local rubbers realise he's actually frotting, not rubbing, and denounce him to the church vicar, who realises he's not paid any contributions to the church fund and runs him out of town.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:31 pm

"let em come let em come let em come, let em all come down to the Den.

Let em come let em come let em come, so we can beat them all again.

I've had my jellied eels and I've had my pint of beer

I come from London town, so I'm from the South Transval and invariably queer,

so let em come let em come let em come

And ooooooohhhhh I'll come with them...."

(no doubt to be modded)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5KTNVppG1rc

Well camped up by Max Bygraves anyhow, with Liberarchie on the old Joanna.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Yet another defeat for us with Jimmy muddle shoe horning Palmer and Taundry in positions that don't suit them.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Walsall 0 Millwall 0. Familly fun day turns out to be anything but fun, as a drab draw sends everyone home gloomy.

Pedagogue, jorge 14, and Pedro to lead the occupants of the Text 999 OAP stand in a rousing rendition of Chris de Burgh's "A spaceman came travelling", which briefly boosts the atmosphere and spurs the home side into 5 mins of light attacking play :)

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:50 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Walsall 0 Millwall 0. Familly fun day turns out to be anything but fun, as a drab draw sends everyone home gloomy.

Pedagogue, jorge 14, and Pedro to lead the occupants of the Text 999 OAP stand in a rousing rendition of Chris de Burgh's "A spaceman came travelling", which briefly boosts the atmosphere and spurs the home side into 5 mins of light attacking play :)

:D :D :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 pm

Should be an interesting comparison to the same tie last season which was also held in December. As I remember it we walloped them 3-0 and they were lucky to get the nil (as they say), with 5433 in attendance. They were dead and burried by half time, thanks to great first half performances from Ricketts and Mooney.

Let's see how things have changed since last season - here's hoping for the same result.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Walsall 0 Millwall 0. Familly fun day turns out to be anything but fun, as a drab draw sends everyone home gloomy.

Oh God - it's not really another family "fun" day, is it? That means a guaranteed defeat if past experience is anything to go by... :( :(

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Walsall 0 Millwall 0. Family Fun Day turns out to be anything but fun, as a drab draw sends everyone home gloomy.

Pedagogue, Jorge 14, and Pedro to lead the occupants of the Text 999 OAP stand in a rousing rendition of Chris de Burgh's "A spaceman came travelling", which briefly boosts the atmosphere and spurs the home side into 5 minutes of light attacking play :)

Sadly, Evo, I won't be there but I'm sure that the brothers will more than compensate for my absence! :D In any event, my singing would guarantee a torrential downpour to add to the depressing atmosphere. I do have some talents but I'm afraid that singing is definitely NOT one of them!

I agree it will almost certainly be a drab anti-climax - these family fun-days always are - it's a jinx! :shock:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

Oh God - it's not really another family "fun" day, is it? That means a guaranteed defeat if past experience is anything to go by... :( :(

Its the kiss of death, the same as Radio Dingle broadcasting us live.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Brother Jorge will not be there , and I'll have to get Ned Kelly to give me a hand ...... but we may kick off if they run out of pies and pasties before kick off again

Walsall 1
Millwall 0

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:57 pm

2-0 Millwall. Palmer and Taundry o.g

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:59 pm

"family fundays" are like every other trite re-enactment of something that should be, and probably used to be utterly normal. Like "real ale pubs", " no frills paint", "regular sized cups of tea".

Its like life has become so shamefully guano that paying customers now have to have "special days" just to achieve the basics that should be taken for granted.

When we played at Fellows Park every match day was a family fun day, thats why generations of families carried on the tradition of watching and supporting Walsall FC, because whatever the result or the level of performance it was a fun thing to do with your family.

What a pathetic world we live in, if by definition one accepts that Saturday is designated family fun-day, surely there is some logic in the assumption that every other Saturday is somehow lacking in the family fun department?? If so why?????

Few more years of this and we'll have designated "this week we're really going to try and win the game today day", "drink as much as you want like you did in your mid-20's day", "let's all get stoned, listen to The Happy Mondays and hide behind the toilet block day"....

Maybe we should just open a new theme bar called Whalleyspoons.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 pm

To be fair geordie, the club lay on a lot more than the football match for families on a fun day, so there's more on offer at such an occasion. If they did nothing, yet called it a family fun day, then i'd agree with you, but they at least make an effort.

This Saturday's being advertised as a 'Festive Fun Day', with Beacon Radio turning up, radio-sponsored competitions (god knows what the prizes are - bumper stickers?!), a play bus, santa's grotto, and turkey rolls and christmas pud from the food kiosks (although that'll probably run out just before the pies do).

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm

I know they do Exile, maybe they should do it every game, maybe do a hell of a lot more than a token effort every few monthts to ensure that paying customers enjoy their matchday experience.

To me this is just basic common sense from any organisation so woefully under-patronised that it's now the norm for the ground to be around 25-33% capacity for an average match-day.

They should be absolutely busting a gut not making token gestures.

Only then, as you rightly pointed out on another thread could the playing budget seriously improved

Problem is, when mediocrity is not only acceptable - but actively aimed for - an increase in the playing budget and anything that might lead to it is seen as an alien concept.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 pm

Good idea, at least in part. The club do quite a bit on match days for kids, including the mini reds programme, birthday specials and the like, although it's difficult to extract any information about this from the official site at first glance - parents may know more than me!

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:55 am

Millwall's away record.

4 Wins

Leicester 1-0
Swindon 2-1
Tranmere 3-1
Colchester 2-1

2 Draws
Northampton 0-0
Leyton Orient 0-0

3 Defeats

Oldham 3-4
Scunthorpe 2-3
Brighton 1-4

Goals for 14 - Against 14

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am

I'd like a win as its my last game until January 10th but can't see it happening.
2-0 to them

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Exile wrote:Good idea, at least in part. The club do quite a bit on match days for kids, including the mini reds programme, birthday specials and the like, although it's difficult to extract any information about this from the official site at first glance - parents may know more than me!

Just been reading about an MSP suggesting kids should be let in free to all games - good idea?? Seems so on face value - we have lots of empty seat at the moment.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 pm

PJD wrote:
Exile wrote:Good idea, at least in part. The club do quite a bit on match days for kids, including the mini reds programme, birthday specials and the like, although it's difficult to extract any information about this from the official site at first glance - parents may know more than me!

Just been reading about an MSP suggesting kids should be let in free to all games - good idea?? Seems so on face value - we have lots of empty seat at the moment.

It is a good idea, although I think that a nominal price (£1 or a couple of quid) is a better idea. If they're free then people are more likely to get a ticket in advance even if they're not sure that they'll go on the day. That could lead to a lot of empty seats on match day that could otherwise have been sold (I know we have a lot of empty seats already). Get people to pay money and they feel that they have something invested in the event and are more likely to go, even if it becomes less convenient. For example, it's well known that people will sit through rubbish films in a cinema rather than getting up and leaving to do something else because they've paid for the ticket, whereas if they don't like a film on TV (free) then they'll change the channel.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:47 pm

A 2-1 defeat, Ricketts to get ours. A 'Family Festive Funday' crowd of 5,100, with around 700 visitors [much more than they usually bring].

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:40 pm

BathSaddler wrote:A 2-1 defeat, Ricketts to get ours. A 'Family Festive Funday' crowd of 5,100, with around 700 visitors [much more than they usually bring].

Can't remember if it was the league or FA cup game last season - but they really could have come in a taxi - they didn't bring many to the other fixture either as I remember.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:42 pm

PJD wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:A 2-1 defeat, Ricketts to get ours. A 'Family Festive Funday' crowd of 5,100, with around 700 visitors [much more than they usually bring].

Can't remember if it was the league or FA cup game last season - but they really could have come in a taxi - they didn't bring many to the other fixture either as I remember.

With Millwall, it's usually better that they don't bring many. Assuming that he got out alive, then there's still a ballboy from the LDV area semi-final (or whatever it was called then) in the Sorensen season that has nightmares about Millwall fans massed behind the goal in the away end.

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
PJD wrote:

With Millwall, it's usually better that they don't bring many. Assuming that he got out alive, then there's still a ballboy from the LDV area semi-final (or whatever it was called then) in the Sorensen season that has nightmares about Millwall fans massed behind the goal in the away end.

Not just behind the goal - they were all around me in what at the time was the HL Fellows stand. How many times did they come on the pitch in that game. They should have been thrown out of the competition.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
PJD wrote:

I take it you know that ballboy? :wink:

It was the area final wasn't it? not the area semi-final.

I remember walking to the Saddlers Club after the game and a bunch of knife wielding Cockneys chasing us across the carpark. A copper asked us why we were running. When we pointed at the direction of the knifeman the copper scurried off in the opposite direction.

God knows what the Millwall fans would've been like if they'd lost the bloody tie :shock:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:51 pm

PJD wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
PJD wrote:

Not just behind the goal - they were all around me in what at the time was the HL Fellows stand. How many times did they come on the pitch in that game. They should have been thrown out of the competition.

Now, that would've been nice for us! Looking at it again, it was the first Graydon season, not the Sorenson one, and the Area Final. So, Millwall getting thrown out would have meant a trip to the final (would it still've been at Wembley in 1999?). I'd totally forgotten that we had another run in that competition that season - thought it was just the year before.

:D :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
PJD wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
PJD wrote:

Now, that would've been nice for us! Looking at it again, it was the first Graydon season, not the Sorenson one, and the Area Final. So, Millwall getting thrown out would have meant a trip to the final (would it still've been at Wembley in 1999?). I'd totally forgotten that we had another run in that competition that season - thought it was just the year before.

:D :D

Yes the tame surrender against Bournemouth - Walsall are clearly never destined to play at Wembley! I think it was the Bournemouth season that we beat Cambridge on penalties in one of the earlier rounds and it was Martin Butlers first game back at Bescot. He took stick all night, but calmly slotted his penalty at the Gilbert Alsop end - that's when I thought "hello - he is gonna have a good career in football after all"

Next
Return to 2008-09 Season