Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 13/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 13/12/08.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:15 pm

Mirek wrote:Oh dear this is becoming a pattern

The sooner JB holds his hands up and gets rid of Arthur Daley the better

Anyone know what the crowd was?

Irrate? Annoyed? Depressed? Livid?...the list goes on.

Seriousl though, 3790 according to the bbc site. That means hardly enough left at the end to boo with any great volume. :?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:17 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Can't believe it, not again! :evil:

After last week, do we learn nothing??! :x :x :roll:

sj wrote:Jolly---- yes we do

:wink: :roll:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Complete joke again. Another late goal. More crazy substitutions and ridiculous team selections.

Mullen OUT NOW.

SWS1

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Complete joke again. Another late goal. More crazy substitutions and ridiculous team selections.

Mullen OUT NOW.

Mullen out last September!
Might have made a difference.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :x :cry: :cry:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Shambles, tin pot, poll pot, crack pot, sacka the lot.

Another late goal. What do they do all week in training?

Why did Bradley go off?

Why does Deeeney play? He is never going to make it.

Mullen out now.

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:37 pm

this is a side 2nd in the league, we did OK today

Mullen just needs a bit more time Give him janurary see who he brings him and then judge him

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:39 pm

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:this is a side 2nd in the league, we did OK today

Mullen just needs a bit more time Give him janurary see who he brings him and then judge him

Nope. He is useless. We are useless. Mullen Out Now!!

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Can't decide whether I went to a football match or a pantomime.

Xmas present given away in the last couple of minutes again.

Surely principal boy Bonser can see that the glass slipper doesn't fit the two ugly sisters that are Mullen and Schofield.

Give us all a Xmas gift and sack them both tonight!!!

Shambles.

Merry Xmas to everyone.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:47 pm

Got to say gutted at the result again ... i canonly echo every one else another last minute goal and a complete joke... good to see Alex got another goal again ,only one doing the biz at the moment

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Millwall were worthy winners although we came close to snatching a point. Once again, we demonstrated our uncanny ability to throw away points in the dying minutes. At least we're consistent! :( . Quite an entertaining game. The stayaways were in good company - the Chairman couldn't be arsed to turn up either. Where was our Christmas message from our beloved leader in the match programme? Couldn't he fax or email it in from Cyprus?

Ince - very poor by his previous high standards. I'll be charitable and say that he was "rusty" after missing the last few games.
Muddle's Love Child - just about coped but still too much "hit & hope" and many of his supposed head-height crosses were too flat and low.
Gerrard & Weston - struggled against Kandol and Harris but improved as the game wore on.
Sansara - made a dreadful, nervous start (not surprisingly) but grew in confidence. After being harshly cautioned he was replaced by Boertien in the 79th minute - while Jabo was receiving treatment!!! - why? Is Muddle totally incompetent in the matter of substitutions? (That was a rhetorical question, by the way - I do know the answer! :) )
Deeney - worked hard, as usual, still not good enough. All the "huff & puff" in the world is no substitute for skill.
Hughes - fair for his half-match, without ever imposing himself on their midfield
Mattis - replaced Hughes but contributed little
Bradley - he worries me. He's only a shadow of last season's player. Some classy touches but he is not involved enough.
Taundry - came on in his best position, defensive midfield, but did not not have enough time to make a meaningful contribution.
Nicholls - awarded MotM, always looked dangerous. Why is he on the left wing?
Ibehre - see comments about Deeney
Ricketts - most of our all-too-few classy moments came through him

Attendance:- 3790. How low will this sink if we struggle over the holiday fixtures?

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:56 pm

attendence was 3790

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Mullen needs to go, give the job to the guy sitting a few away from me who showed more passion that the team or Mullen, although he did spit on his friend a lot when shouting his instructions to the team. One, two, one, two, keep it down, stay close, stay close, tighter, tighter.... he was most entertaining - better than the game :mrgreen:

Getting sick of Mullens bizarre team choices, we all know what they are, so no point going into them again.... gor be bothered!

adjisaddler
Glitterati

yea i heard on the radio that Sansara had a nightmare and that the midfield were poor and uninterested. Apparently they didnt want the ball very much either

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Got out of bed today at 2.15pm and was very close to staying put but decided to go. After that shambles together with the closure of one of the kiosks I was not best pleased.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Some decent play at times going forward

All completely pointless if your defence is a shambles

Always look like conceding

I've been sticking up for Deeney but today he was worse than palmer, some feat indeed

This season is a complete waste of some talented players careers, such a shame, we could have really done something this year with a good manager

Bonser is a cretin

Diehard

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Most of the match was dire. Hughes was absolute rubbish and Millwall were able to play the ball straight through the middle without any resistance. Ricketts was dreadful - just couldn't be bothered most of the time, even losing out on balls that he should have kept hold of. Deeney was awful and should have been subbed by 60 min. Ince and Weston were culpble for Millwalls first goal. Utter tripe. Mullen spent most of the match, as usual, with arms folded. He did applaud at times, but probably because his hands were cold. No communication between players, Gerrard blaming everyone but himself for errors. The only one who showed any passion was Nicholls. About as low as we can get.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Another game lost - could've held on for a point but that would've been an injustice as far as Millwall were concerned. It amazed me it took them so long to score their second. That said, we did spend the second half seemingly hanging on for the point.

Ince - a typical performance, generally sound with odd hair-brained moment or two thrown in for good measure.
Palmer - another performance that proves he's no full-back. I'm pretty sure he didn't make a tackle on their winger all afternoon. Yes, he pings the odd good ball in ten but that just isn't enough to warrant continued selection.
Weston - outmuscled for their first goal but recovered well enough to have a generally sound game.
Gerrard - see Weston, generally sound with a few dodgy moments thrown in.
Sansara - was given a torrid time by his winger, and caught out of position a number of times. Improved slightly in the second half but isn't good enough to be picked ahead of Boertien (in my opinion).
Deeney - had the groundsman left the fork in the pitch as he did when he nipped for a piddle at half time, it would have offered more than Deeney did all afternoon. In fact, it probably would've controlled the ball better too. I've seen him have reasonable games but I just can't understand his continued selection, especially as a wide player.
Hughes - steady and dependable, his presence was missed in the second half.
Bradley - showed a few glimpses of the Bradley of last season but struggling to make an impact.
Nicholls - one of the few positives at the moment.
Jabo - huff and puff, not much else.
Ricketts - a few nice touches but not really in the areas where they were going to cause Millwall problems.

Mattis - busy. Put himself about a bit but had little influence on the game.
Taundry - his presence on the pitch was definitely needed, but why bring him on for Bradley? I think Palmer, Sansara, Deeney and Jabo should have been replaced before Mullen even thought about bringing off Bradley.
Boertien - should've started. Came on and sured up the left-hand side but why wait so long?

Being as there's nothing to celebrate about the Walsall performance, i'd like to congratulate Neil Harris. Love or loathe Millwall, you can only admire his feat - especially when you consider he has had to overcome testicular cancer in the process.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Hear hear Four Oaks, congratulations to Neil Harris. About all we can do at the moment is admire the feats and performances of others.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Better today than in the last couple. Especially the first half. Team selection was dire, deeney why?. Palmer over taundry at right backWHY?..taundry instead with weston in the centre?..erm YES PLEASE. Biggest insult for the day feel to paul boertien, who is the best left back at the club by a country mile. HUghes was crap & mostly has been all season, bradley shows no signs of the promise he did last year. Jabo & ricketts did ok, but lacked the service yet again. Gerrard's attitude is god darn awful,blaimg incey for things he was mostly at fault with. Nicholls however was excellent & is looking promising for good things in the future ( if we can keep hold of him). AWFUL, school boy defending as per,cost us 2 goals. The tactics mullen plays are truly crap, he will be like he already should be, out of a job in the non to distant future.

Ince- Ok, dealt with crosses, kicking improved slightly,tipped a kandol chance around the post in the 2nd,top save.
Weston- Caught for the first, was generally better. Mullen dropping him early in the season has affected him,like many others, lacking in confidence, mullen has obviously lost him.
Gerrard- AWFUL,AWFUL attitude,blaming incey for his lack of talking and communication. Did ok, but looks nothing like early season.
Palmer - NO , yes NO postional sense, skinned by grabban all over the place, set piecs weren't brillant either. CRAP.!
Sansara - Awful posotioning, some decent distribution , probably rusty, was ok as soon as he got to grips.
Hughes - Crap again, never the captain of this football team, can't pass forward, shows no skill,pace or atacking invention, the fact he's the holding defender and we've coneded far too many goals says it all really. What does he do? Nothing, bring back dobbo :o .
Bradley - See hughes, went on a couple of runs today though, better than of late, but generally poor & un-involved.
Deeney - Huffs & puffs, but has the skilly of my grandfather. Slow,doesn't read the game,doesn't really contribute to anything, get rid.
Nicholls - Superb stuff 4 in 4 now, fast,energetic, was involved in all our good moments, with a bit more composure he could have set a couple of goals up. I really hope we keep him , because good things & money will come off him.
Jabo - Better than last week,still has awesome close touch control, sometimes makes slightly the wrong decision in distributuion.
Ricketts - Started brightly, but eased off. Looked to have gone into one of his "i can't be bothered" phases that he has once every erm..5 minutes. Still showed some brillance,one piece of skill in the first half where the ball was dying out to be hit. Booing him though or lowering his confidence wont help, we need this man interested because he will score most of our goals this season.

Taundry - Did ok when he came on. Should have started either a right back or centre midfield
Mattis - Got stuck in & did the simpe things, could have got forward a bit to, probably to scared to leave fragile bradley alone though.
Boertien - Should most definetely have started, did ok to when he came on.

Things have to change & now muddle.
3 wins in 13 games, is a stat speaking for itself.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:28 pm

I felt our first half performance wasn't too bad today, but as usual, other teams adapt and adjust, we never seem able to maintain any momentum and impose ourself on the game. Hughes, once again, couldn't manage a full 90 minutes. Like Roberts, he's a decent player, but limited in his effectiveness because he's so injury-prone; which probably explains why they've ended up playing for us.
Deeney had a decent first half but was totally anonymous in the second. Surely we should have had someone one on the bench to replace him - no Reich or Zaboob!
Sansara was tidy and creative in possession but, like Palmer, he was given lots of work to do by Millwall and didn't come out on top.
Jabo's still not back in the groove. He played some good stuff but didn't pressurise defenders enough for me. Ricketts played in fits and starts but has to do so much of his work outside the danger areas his effectiveness is limited. Nicholls performance was the highlight of the day for me - another good finish. He seems to be the one player who plays with 'attitude' at the moment and along with his willingness to run and challenge, he stood out for us today.
I'm very disappointed we got nothing again today - whether or not we deserved anything is open to question but when you play as timidly as we did you don't even get to make your own luck. Millwall didn't impress me that much but they've got a winning mentality - we, on the other hand, seem to be expecting, and accepting, defeat.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, what a load of utter rubbish that was today. From the moment that I heard the team on the radio on the way in it was clear what was going to happen. The only surprise was that it took a(nother) last minute goal to win the game for them.

Weston switched to centre back to cover for Roberts, fair enough I suppose (although his effort on their first goal was comical) - but surely that means that Boertien has to play. Yet instead we get the non-footballer at right back (and even his set pieces were poor today - yet still he managed to play the whole 90 minutes) and a young kid at left back, while an ex-Premier League full back sat on the bench for 80 minutes (in fariness, Sansara actually looked looked promising - if not as good as Boertien). So, that's one of our best back four playing and in the correct position. Ridiculous. Then in midfield we have Alex Nicholls on the wing despite scoring three in three, primarily from central positions. And he scored again today when he got into the box following a corner. Imagine the damage he might have been able to do if he'd been played through the middle, rather than being marginalized on the wing. An honest, lower league centre forward was once again preferred to a German international on the other wing - I think that sentence says it all really.

Given all of that, we got the predictably disjointed performance that I expected. The defence were, by and large a shambles. We needed a big game from Gerrard with everyone else in there being weak - and he was awful. Seemingly more interested in passing the blame for his errors onto others than in sorting things out. I don't know why we worry about him leaving in January - nobody else is going to want him on the basis of displays like that. Palmer might as well not have been on the pitch for all the effect that he had in stopping their winger going past him and delivering crosses. Weston got better as the game went on, but cost us a goal through unfamiliarity with the position early on. As a full back you can look to let a player bring the ball down but push him into a safe area in the process. There aren't any safe areas as a centre back - and Neil Harris demonstrated that with a tidy finish from a tight angle. Ahead of the back four, nobody in the midfield put a tackle in all game (perhaps not surprising given that two of them were strikers and Hughes was, presumably, feeling his injury from early on).I didn't think we were too bad going forward when we could actually manage to get the ball, but Millwall controlled the possession to such a degree that our strikers were an irrelevance. They had the freedom of the pitch to do what they wanted in the first half. We were incredibly fortunate to go in level and the more even second half was more to do with Millwall coming down to our level than any improvement on our behalf (although Mattis did at least look to occupy the centre of the pitch).

Did Mullen's subs help us at all either? I'm guessing that Hughes was injured, so that sub probably had to be made. But did Taundry touch the ball (other than taking throw ins) after he came on? The lad can't play in central midfield and every time we try putting him there it hurts us. And what was the point of putting Boertien on for Sansara? Yes, he should have played from the start, but switching them around with ten minutes to go just looked like a change for changes sake. It was hardly going to alter the game. Perhaps if Mullen had selected an attacking player on the bench (Zaaboub or Reich) he would actually have had options to make positive changes to try to win the game.

The other week we played Boertien and Reich and beat Swindon pretty comfortable. They were then inexplicably dropped for last week and we lost. Anyone else would have thought that putting them back in the team for today might have been a good plan, but not Mullen. Oh no, much better to drop Reich from the 16 altogether (leaving us with no attacking subs at all) and leapfrog Sansara over Boertien into the starting eleven when a space became available at the back due to injury. The guy is completely clueless and needs to be relieved of his responsibilities at the club as soon as possible - and certainly before the transfer window, when a manager with some awareness of the game might actually be able to start to move us in the right direction.

There are plenty of teams worse than us, so relegation isn't likely to be an issue - but we have the potential to do so much better than we are at the moment. That we are not is down to one man (two if you count the guy who appointed him).

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:04 pm

I never want to criticise our young players, but can anyone give me a reason why Deeney has now started 14 matches this season and come as sub in nearly all the others?

Did Jimmy sound a bit tired and perhaps emotional in his interview on WM after the match? He was shouting obscenties at our players during the second half, with such vehemence and frequency that would have led to a supporter being thrown out. After shouting at Sansara," You're a F___ing idiot," the lad had to be physically restrained by Weston from reacting directly back - Mullen immediately brought Boertien on in Sansara's place.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 pm

One other point, in the first half some guy in the F2G Lower shouted out "hey, Clayton, tell Mullen he's a t**t". Clayton turned round, grinned and gave him a thumbs up in return. If an experienced professional, who's gone through his career without causing any trouble feels that is an appropriate reaction then how much more proof do we need that the guy's lost the confidence of the players (if he ever had it)?

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Bernie wrote:I never want to criticise our young players, but can anyone give me a reason why Deeney has now started 14 matches this season and come as sub in nearly all the others?

Did Jimmy sound a bit tired and perhaps emotional in his interview on WM after the match? He was shouting obscenties at our players during the second half, with such vehemence and frequency that would have led to a supporter being thrown out. After shouting at Sansara," You're a F___ing idiot," the lad had to be physically restrained by Weston from reacting directly back - Mullen immediately brought Boertien on in Sansara's place.

If Sansara's a f***ing idiot, then what does that make the guy who decided that it was a genius decision to pick him (a 19-year-old with four career starts who hasn't played a first team game in three months - and who got sent off after half an hour of that game) over a 29-year-old (i.e. should be at his peak) who's been a professional for twelve years, mostly at a higher level and including several years in the top flight?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Bernie wrote:I never want to criticise our young players, but can anyone give me a reason why Deeney has now started 14 matches this season and come as sub in nearly all the others?

Tired and emotional? Not for the first time on a matchday if what I've been told is true (at another club he managed).

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:19 pm

I clearly heard Mullen shouting at Weston and Weston shouting back "I f**king heard you the first time"

the Directors are there, they can see this happening, they know the players who must be making noises about it

Our board of directors are an absolute DISGRACE!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:30 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:

Tired and emotional? Not for the first time on a matchday if what I've been told is true (at another club he managed).

That a euphemism for totally drunk or massively hungover?

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Words to describe our style of play - Awkweard, Bungling, Gauche, Inept, Unproficent. We used to have moves, build up play where has it gone, we are wooden, boring, drab, uninspiring, cloying, colourless, humdrum, lifeless losers, spineless, wearisome, perhaps preoccupied with something other than the game ? Can't concentrate Can't think more than one pass ahead. Obviously not fit. Total Joke

As for Jimmy Mullen, Frank Spencer, David Cameron, Jethro, John Major, Roy Chubby Brown, William Hague, Peter Kay, Joe Pasqualle, Lee Evans, Des O'Connor, Freddie Starr - he joins a long list of jokers who i can't stand.

Club needs a lift, we won't go down under Mullen i don't think.

BUT.... We are in danger of slippin back to the early 90s, crowds of 3-4k, slumming it in lower two divisions, accepting mediocraity. The right name, the right players can put us back up to 5-6k. Means we maintain the ability to bring in the likes of Mattis, Hughes, Ricketts. We won't sustain such wages on 3-4k.

Bill Bones

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:48 pm

The whole thing that's criminal is just the wingers being Nicholls and Deeney. Both supposed to be centre forwards and are now seemingly our best wingers. What a bloody hoot. I feel so sorry for Reich; he's an honest player, and with a baby daughter and wife in Germany what is the point of him still being here? Mullen even said that he had been training well... (I don't really care for Zaaboub, though, even though if he was given a run in the team he might be okay, but is he injured? - too much of a showboater)

We go round and round in circles. Nothing will happened until it's too late with Mullen; they've still got the defence that we're 11th. But if we have a bad Christmas we'd really be in the quagmire.

I was looking at the Leyton Orient game today against Cheltenham. You look at Cheltenham's team and they've got experience throughout the team - Barry Hayles, Scott Murray and Ian Westlake in midfield, Kenton at centre back, because of Martin Allen's contacts - they wouldn't have been inspired to go to Cheltenham without the figure of Allen there. Real contacts in football. We've got a used car salesman whose last four teams have been Sligo Rovers, Colwyn Bay, Telford Utd (now defunct) and Bromsgrove Rovers. What loan signings could we get from that? It'd've been a picture to see Mullen on the phone to Championship managers, who'd have probably never heard of him.

Talk about him losing the dressing room is extremely worrying. I mean, DD lost the fans in parts, but I don't think he ever really lost the support of the players, in the main.

Bill Bones

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Burnside wrote:
Club needs a lift, we won't go down under Mullen i don't think.

That's the problem; the board just sit there and wait for the sh*t to hit the fan in about March/April and then get another cheapo choice (i.e. Broadhurst) to drag us further into the mire.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season