Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 13/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Bill Bones

Re: Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 13/12/08.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:54 pm

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:this is a side 2nd in the league, we did OK today

Mullen just needs a bit more time Give him janurary see who he brings him and then judge him

He's brought in some decent players like Reich, Zaaboub, Roberts when fit is a decent player, I think, Ibehre, Ricketts. The problem is that players'll look at the sack of cack that he's comparably treated Reich to and think that it's no worth their while.

In relation to the late post. His contacts brought us Keigan Ayre. Wow. And saying that, we did have Suffo who looked okay and scored a few goals. Then he released him.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:00 pm

saddlerken wrote:I clearly heard Mullen shouting at Weston and Weston shouting back "I f**king heard you the first time"

the Directors are there, they can see this happening, they know the players who must be making noises about it

Our board of directors are an absolute DISGRACE!

Sums it up if true, and I have no reason to doubt your word. That "Team" is not a team. I feel really sorry for the few players that do seem to be trying. I just hope they can sort out this mess quickly enough to save some of the talent. If Gerrard thinks he will get a dream move based on that idiotic performace then he is kidding himself. His dispute with Ince seems to make him think he should try to make him look an idiot. Stupid back passes and leaving balls that are clearly his to deal with... idiot. Weston, obviously he doesn't want to be here, talks to no-one unless shouting and bickering, and his only tactic today was to shove his opponent in the back, lucky on 2 occassions to get away with it. Ricketts, another who appears to have lost all hope. This "team" needs to become a team and fast, otherwise we are relegation fodder, especially with the numpty in charge. Only players who deserve praise today IMHO are Nichols, Ince (great save late on), Bradley (faded, but good first half).

MULLEN OUT, and fast!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:04 pm

He's just an absolute clown.
In the Merson era, things were bad but the players were all either too young end inexperienced, his mates, or just grateful to be getting a game for anyone.
The players we have playing for us now aren't like that - most of them have the experience of having played for some top managers. They know Mullen's just a joke. I can't begin to contemplate the thoughts that must go through the heads of the likes of Ince, Weston, Boertein, Reich, Ricketts & Hughes when Mullen opens his mouth.

I'm not going to give any sort of match report - there are some accurate accounts on here already. What I will say is that I looked at our side today and just felt disappointed and angry at the fact that we have very good players in our team and yet we look so disjointed, we sometimes resemble a Sunday League team playing together for the first time.
Would Weston have made the mistake he made for their first goal this time last year? I very much doubt it.
Would Gerrard have sliced so many clearances into the stand/out of the ground this time last year? Probably not.
Even a matter of months ago when we found ourselves in the top four, the players at least looked like they had some sort of idea, some sort of clue as to how best to play to get results.

I said earlier in the week that I didn't think we'd go down because the players are good enough in terms of their basic ability to overcome any difficulties caused by our joke of a manager. I take that back now.

H

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:13 pm

The sitation has nothing to do with Mullen's Contacts (or lack of them)

The Summer Transfer Dealings were the best I can remember for Walsall FC in a very long time. The opinon of the majority of Fans is that we have the Players to do be doing MUCH, MUCH better than we are.

However what cannot be defended are ridiculous team selections, appalling substitutions and the obvious lack of respect the Players have for their Manager.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Exile wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:Tired and emotional? Not for the first time on a matchday if what I've been told is true (at another club he managed).

That a euphemism for totally drunk or massively hungover?

Drunk - did you never read Private Eye? :D :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Really does make you angry, doesn't it?
The fact that he says "it was cruel on us once again" suggests just how clueless he is. He's in denial.
When it happens to you in 7 out of 8 games, it's not 'cruel' any more.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:32 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Really does make you angry, doesn't it?
The fact that he says "it was cruel on us once again" suggests just how clueless he is. He's in denial.
When it happens to you in 7 out of 8 games, it's not 'cruel' any more.

Exactamundo dudes.

The more he opens his mouth at the moment the more he makes himself seem clueless.

That picture of him and schofield is just crying out for a cracking caption competition, pity it can't be hoicked off the page. Anyone good at pinching pictures?!! :wink:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:41 pm

saddlerken wrote:Image

Go and order....At half time i'll have 3 pints please.

cletus

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:43 pm

This is awful...we're going to have to make a change for the second half...For the love of god, will somebody get palmer a pair of tighter shorts and would it kill him to wet his t-shirt a bit?!?
Last edited by cletus on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:46 pm

saddlerken wrote:the Directors are there, they can see this happening, Our board of directors are an absolute DISGRACE!

Once again the club's majority shareholder and landlord was notable by his absence.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:21 pm

"Then all that's left is ...................... after the matches, big fat Franksie interviews ya , holding the mike like this.

Don't worry , you'll soon get used to this managing lark"

Zippy
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:35 pm

"As soon as it's full time, can you phone Exile with a match report for the UTS front page"

:wink:

H

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:56 pm

Zippy wrote:

"Listen Schofield - if you say one more thing about Chris Palmer, you re gonna get one of these"

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:10 pm

This IS WORSE than the Merson Era. Complete shambles.

And the parasite wasn't even at the game today. How can he act when he aint even there? Didn't see him in his usual seat that's for sure. Im sure Pedogogue or some other could clear it up. Mullen should have been weeks ago, but if he isnt on monday then its a disgrace.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:And the parasite wasn't even at the game today. How can he act when he ain't even there? Didn't see him in his usual seat, that's for sure. I'm sure Pedagogue or some other could clear it up. Mullen should have been sacked, weeks ago, but if he isn't on Monday then it's a disgrace.

I have it on good authority that Uncle Jeff had flown out to Milan to sign up the "Special One" as our new manager. Remember - you read it here first! :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:23 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:And the parasite wasn't even at the game today. How can he act when he ain't even there? Didn't see him in his usual seat, that's for sure. I'm sure Pedagogue or some other could clear it up. Mullen should have been sacked, weeks ago, but if he isn't on Monday then it's a disgrace.

I have it on good authority that Uncle Jeff had flown out to Milan to sign up the "Special One" as our new manager. Remember - you read it here first! :mrgreen:

There's two sorts of 'special', and we've got one of them already...

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:05 am

WFC_Rob wrote:He's just an absolute clown.
In the Merson era, things were bad but the players were all either too young end inexperienced, his mates, or just grateful to be getting a game for anyone.
The players we have playing for us now aren't like that - most of them have the experience of having played for some top managers. They know Mullen's just a joke. I can't begin to contemplate the thoughts that must go through the heads of the likes of Ince, Weston, Boertein, Reich, Ricketts & Hughes when Mullen opens his mouth.

I'm not going to give any sort of match report - there are some accurate accounts on here already. What I will say is that I looked at our side today and just felt disappointed and angry at the fact that we have very good players in our team and yet we look so disjointed, we sometimes resemble a Sunday League team playing together for the first time.
Would Weston have made the mistake he made for their first goal this time last year? I very much doubt it.
Would Gerrard have sliced so many clearances into the stand/out of the ground this time last year? Probably not.
Even a matter of months ago when we found ourselves in the top four, the players at least looked like they had some sort of idea, some sort of clue as to how best to play to get results.

I said earlier in the week that I didn't think we'd go down because the players are good enough in terms of their basic ability to overcome any difficulties caused by our joke of a manager. I take that back now.

I agree with all that totally.

Can't be bothered to put anything that hasn't already been said. It comes to something where - and I honestly believe this - we'd do better with no manager at all.

See you Boxing Day.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:43 am

No Manager... cost savings... Bonser might just go for that, and I agree, we would be better off!

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:59 am

Didn't make the game yesterday , more of the same by all accounts poor tactics poor team selection .

How much more do we have to take .

Muddle out

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:51 am

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:36 am

To be honest, I didnt think we played too badly - second half especially we picked up, but it was obvious we were playing for the draw, which was a very dangerous game to be playing when you've conceded so many late goals.

I really dont understand the team selections - why was Sansara ahead of Boertien? Is it financial? Is Boertien on a pay as you play? Surely no one is stupid enough to make that selection?

Palmer was poor, as usual, his set pieces were average, to be generous, although his cross did lead to our goal. Of his 7 set peices I think 4 were caught by the keeper, and the other 3 were headed away. He was atrocious defensively, the lad he was up against didnt like using his left foot - so it's obvious to anyone that Palmer should have been showing him on to his left, but Palmer was beaten hands down every single time for pace and strength. Just get him out of the side.

Weston was pee poor, he's half the player he was this time last year.

Gerrard had a poor game by his standards.

Nicholls was the one shining light in the team. Guess he'll be sold then.

Mullen out, lets get a proper manager

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:57 am

Agree with that, phil. Deeney, Palmer and Sansara are not good enough.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:29 pm

We all agree with that but they will be left in the team all the time as Mullen does not have a eye for potential and class.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:18 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Nicholls was the one shining light in the team. Guess he'll be sold then.

I'm not going to disagree with that, but the fact that he must have only touched the ball about 3 times in the second half speaks volumes about the way we (don't) play and the manager's tactics. He looked a real threat in the first half and has done for the previous few games by all accounts. If you've got a player with pace, skill, an eye for goal and bundles of confidence, you give him the ball as much as you can. That just didn't happen.

Red Adair

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:13 pm

Does anyone know how many goals we have conceded in the last 5 minutes of a game this season? It seems to be almost every game! The opposition must be as aware of our weakness and know that, if they are drawing with a few minutes left to play, that they will surely win. What a shambles!!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:20 pm

Red Adair wrote:Does anyone know how many goals we have conceded in the last 5 minutes of a game this season? It seems to be almost every game! The opposition must be as aware of our weakness and know that, if they are drawing with a few minutes left to play, that they will surely win. What a shambles!!

The stat I heard last week was 6 times in the last 7 games, which has now turned into 7 times in the last 8.

Over the course of the season so far however, I'm not sure.

bigste

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:30 pm

southend 87 mins
carlisle 83 mins
h-pool 83 mins
leeds 86 mins
mk dongs 87 mins
oldham 89 mins
swindon 90 +1
huddersfield 90 +3
millwall 89 mins

FA cup - Scunthorpe 90+2 mins

These are the goals concieded during the last 7 mins of a match. (we hav'nt lost all these games by the way)
Last edited by bigste on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michal
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Red Adair wrote:Does anyone know how many goals we have conceded in the last 5 minutes of a game this season?

They know:
http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/teams/Walsall.html

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season