Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Oldham Athletic - 2/12/08

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Oldham Athletic - 2/12/08

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Walsall Reserves 1 2 Oldham Athletic

Walsall (4-4-2)

Albin Kajtezovic

Darryl Westlake
Manny Smith (Capt.)
Hassan Bacchus
Netan Sansara (Mark Cartwright, 84 min.)

Mark Lowe (Tom Overfield, 65 min.)
Richard Davies
Sam Adkins
Sofiene Zaaboub

Marco Reich
Josh Craddock (Sean Geddes, 69 min.)

Unused Substitutes;-
James Travis
James Belshaw (gk)

Manager:- John Schofield

Goal Log:-
9th min. - 0-1 - Chris O'Grady (a Karl Hawley lookalike) saw his shot rebound off the post for Dale Stephens to seize on it and slot the ball home.
40th min. - 1-1 - Reich on target, direct from a free-kick, just outside the penalty-area.
49th min. - 1-2 - Bacchus fouled Lewis Alessandra and Stephens doubled his tally from the spot.

Comments:-
Oldham were good value for their win after a disappointing Saddlers showing. It would be churlish to criticise Kajtezovic for either Oldham goal but he is unlikely to give Clayton and Rene sleepless nights. Sansara was the pick of the defence; Westlake and Smith were adequate while Bacchus struggled, at times.

In midfield, only Davies shone. Lowe and Adkins were largely anonymous while Zaaboub was poor (why does he wear gloves with a short-sleeved shirt? - tart!).

It would not be a Walsall game without at least one player out of position and it was Reich's turn tonight. He may well have a wealth of Bundesliga experience and an International Cap but he ain't a centre-forward! It is amazing that his off-the-ball movement and positioning is so poor. Craddock just looks like another Deeney - all huff, puff and honest endeavour but no end product.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Re: Reserves v. Oldham Athletic - 2/12/08

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Great report Pedagogue. I am glad I have you as a witness on tonights events. The highlight for me was Evo going to the bar (nothing unusual there you might think) however he returned empty handed and then had a look of actual horror on his face as he realised he has left his pint at the bar. I am starting to worry about the poor fellow.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:10 pm

tape66 wrote:Great report Pedagogue. I am glad I have you as a witness on tonights events. The highlight for me was Evo going to the bar (nothing unusual there you might think) however he returned empty handed and then had a look of actual horror on his face as he realised he has left his pint at the bar. I am starting to worry about the poor fellow.

Quick Ev, make an appointment at the quacks. :wink:

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Jockey wrote:
tape66 wrote:Great report Pedagogue. I am glad I have you as a witness on tonights events. The highlight for me was Evo going to the bar (nothing unusual there you might think) however he returned empty handed and then had a look of actual horror on his face as he realised he has left his pint at the bar. I am starting to worry about the poor fellow.

Quacks? If Evo's forgot his pint, it's a shrink he needs to be making an appointment with. :mrgreen:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:23 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:
Jockey wrote:

Quacks? If Evo's forgot his pint, it's a shrink he needs to be making an appointment with. :mrgreen:

I dunno about that. He's a pint missing tonight.

QUICK GET THE DRIP.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:38 pm

I can confirm tape66's shock revelation, as I witnessed it with my own eyes. Matters at Bescot Stadium have truly sunk to a new low! :lol:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 pm

:mrgreen: :wink: 8) :lol:

It's not as bad as it sounds. My side. I went to bar, ordered a fermented vegetable drink, and when it was served, I shoved it to the end of the bar, and went for a wazz. Then slipped into automatic pilot and headed back to me seat.

Sadly I only realised something was missing about a split second before tape and Pedagogue also noticed this, and I jurried back to the bar. Our former phsyio Marc Czuczman also witnessed the incident :) .

Onto the match, nowt to add really.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 am

What happening with Richard Bryne thought he was on trial with us. ?

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 pm

where are the reserve s the league now ?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Duke wrote:What happening with Richard Bryne thought he was on trial with us. ?

I might be wrong, but I think you might be being completely wooshed.

Richard Bryne could be translated to Dick Bryne who was Father Teds nemisis, and Jimmy Mullens nickname is Father Ted...

He could be on trial, and I could have been wooshed, but I've lost interest in the club now so thats my excuse for not paying attention

retired

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Does anyone know how Charlton davies is getting on or has he left the club. Hav'nt seen him play from star of the season and heard he was injured but is he still with us

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:36 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:What happening with Richard Bryne thought he was on trial with us. ?

I might be wrong, but I think you might be being completely wooshed.

Richard Bryne could be translated to Dick Bryne who was Father Teds nemisis, and Jimmy Mullens nickname is Father Ted...

He could be on trial, and I could have been wooshed, but I've lost interest in the club now so thats my excuse for not paying attention

No woosh for me this time Phil.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,, ... 79,00.html

Which makes a nice change :wink:

Return to 2008-09 Season