Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 6/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Re: Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 6/12/08.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:53 pm

adjisaddler wrote:since when do fans need badges to critisize anyone? its there job to have opinions :D

marco reich on for hughes

Since Sid Swifty said so!!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:56 pm

All Over

:(

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:58 pm

More appalling tactics, with more appalling team selections. Mullen Out.

In fact, I cannot believe he is even our managerl. Pathetic.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:59 pm

Last minute tactical substitution by dimwit manager seemed to do the trick.
Defensive midfielder off, attacking, non tackling midfielder on.
Give me strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:59 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:More appalling tactics, with more appalling team selections. Mullen Out.

In fact, I cannot believe he is even our managerl. Pathetic.

Its bloody depressing :(

Lone Striker

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:03 pm

How many times this season has Mullen made the tactical change of taking off Hughes late in games and we go on to concede goals, nobody else has the discipline required to play the role that he does. If Hughes was not injured our manager should again take the blame.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:03 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Last minute tactical substitution by dimwit manager seemed to do the trick.

Making a substitution to waste time was probably a sensible thing to do - something Mullen's been criticized for not doing so far. Obviously, putting on a more attacking player than the one he was taking off (and leaving us with only one central midfielder) probably made the move counter-productive - but the realization that he can change a game with substitutions is still quite new to JM, so he's going to make some mistakes...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:04 pm

The thing is, from a more general point of view, we've lost in the third minute of added time having had a header cleared off the line minutes earlier.
Lost in the last minute again, just as we did at Oldham.
Kearns suggests we were unlucky, but you've got to wonder whether luck comes into it now it's happened on multiple occasions.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Mullen out, Keane in.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:06 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
Goose277 wrote:What the hell is Muddle's problem?? Was he not watching last week? Did he not see how better we palyed with a proper left back and an actual footballer instead of headless chicken?

The last bit is maybe a bit unfair on Deeney as he did quite well last week but he aint as good as Reich and that really is a fact. Palmer for Boats is nothing short of stupidity and I'd convinced myself Muddle wouldn't make this decision but he's proved once again how clueless he is. Why should I spend my hard earned money when the manager is picking inferior players for what can only be personal reasons? I think that's me done!

Your not allowed to critersize our manager...have you actually got coaching badges??? :roll: :oops:

I must admit I was a bit surprised at sid's response. Palmer is nowhere near as good a left back as Boats, it's not even close for gods sake, and all the coaching badges in the world won't change that fact.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Disappointed, but not surprised.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:Last minute tactical substitution by dimwit manager seemed to do the trick.

Making a substitution to waste time was probably a sensible thing to do - something Mullen's been criticized for not doing so far. Obviously, putting on a more attacking player than the one he was taking off (and leaving us with only one central midfielder) probably made the move counter-productive - but the realization that he can change a game with substitutions is still quite new to JM, so he's going to make some mistakes...

Can I blame Bonser instead then? :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:12 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The thing is, from a more general point of view, we've lost in the third minute of added time having had a header cleared off the line minutes earlier.
Kearns suggests we were unlucky, but you've got to wonder whether luck comes into it now it's happened on multiple occasions.

It's not luck, it's fitness - and some of us have been saying it since the very start. Our pre-season was a joke and it's haunted us ever since.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:15 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:CONFIRMED...THE BLOKE IS AN IDIOT
He's the guy who will get the sack if it doesn't work out,so why should he listen to a bunch of (how many coaching badges have you got again?)fans who dont want him there whatever he does? I'm sure if my job depended on how i do it (and it does) i wouldn't take any suggestions from people who have nothing at all to lose by the suggestions they make to me,give the guy a chance.Its not the fact that you criticise him that gets me,its the fact that you all think you are better at picking teams than the guy who has a lot more information to hand then anyone on UTS ever will.

serious question:

have i missed something? are you related to mullen or are you his mate?

its the only explaination i can think of for defending that team selection, specifically boertian being left out for palmer!

EVEN MORE SERIOUS QUESTION; GOT A COACHING BADGE,NO? BUT YOU THINK YOU CAN DO A BETTER JOB ANYWAY.We can all stand on the sidelines and throw stones,but you,along with a lot of others on UTS,some,who even slated him off before he even played one game,would s**t yourselves if you were in his position,at least he has the guts to do the job,no matter how much you all get6 on his back.Ignore them Jimmy,they are all a bunch of amatures mate :lol:

Hey Mr Touchy! You weren't so vociferous in your defence of Money! :wink:

That was because i couldn't stand the football his team were playing,and he was a big headed so and so,i wouldn't dream of making out that i knew more about team selection and tactics like you,stick to printing,thats your game,i dare say Jimmy wouldn't dream of telling you how to run a printing press.... :wink:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:The thing is, from a more general point of view, we've lost in the third minute of added time having had a header cleared off the line minutes earlier.

It's not luck, it's fitness - and some of us have been saying it since the very start. Our pre-season was a joke and it's haunted us ever since.

And it's been all downhill from there. Disappointed but certainly not surprised

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:16 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Can I blame Bonser instead then? :wink:

Certainly.

JB's only got himself to blame for the points Mullen's cost us (another one to chalk up today - there really are enough to have taken us to the edge of the play-offs). The guy's doing the best he can and he's got a method that sort of works when the opposition don't change their tactics, but it's clear that he's not got it about him to adapt to different situations (or even to learn from what went right last week), so he's only ever going to fall short of getting us into the play-offs.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:19 pm

That was because i couldn't stand the football his team were playing,and he was a big headed so and so,i wouldn't dream of making out that i knew more about team selection and tactics like you,stick to printing,thats your game,i dare say Jimmy wouldn't dream of telling you how to run a printing press.... :wink:

I wouldn't dare tell Mullen how to sell a car, which is what he should stick too, at least he knows something about that

stig231
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:36 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Lost in the last minute again, just as we did at Oldham.

Luck doesn't come into it when we have conceded goals in the 87th min or later in 6 of the last 7 games.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:53 pm

yep generally very poor .. uninspiring stuff ,nearly dozed off while listening to it..commentators are flat and dull sounding.. does nothing to lift your spirits when you have Kearn's droning tone defending Walsall with excuses most of the time... even he must see we are going nowhere fast

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:06 pm

adjisaddler wrote:yep generally very poor .. uninspiring stuff ,nearly dozed off while listening to it..commentators are flat and dull sounding.. does nothing to lift your spirits when you have Kearn's droning tone defending Walsall with excuses most of the time... even he must see we are going nowhere fast

Of course he does, but he probably likes his job

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:20 pm

before the game kearns was saying that all we needed for a bit of consistency was the players to apply themselves better... the problem isnt players not applying themselves its the fact that some of our best players find it hard to apply themselves sitting on the bleedin bench!!

i wish mullen would apply himself to finding an alternative form of employment!!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, by the sounds of that post-match interview, Mullen doesn't seem to be able to put his finger on anything.
He didn't mention anything to do with fitness, or even the personnel on the pitch, but merely hinted that we didn't concentrate. It's happened too often now and the fact that something hasn't been done about it stinks.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:33 pm

sid swifty wrote:That was because i couldn't stand the football his team were playing,and he was a big headed so and so,i wouldn't dream of making out that i knew more about team selection and tactics like you,stick to printing,thats your game,i dare say Jimmy wouldn't dream of telling you how to run a printing press.... :wink:

Its not being big headed if you can actually do it, which 80% of the time he delivered. It's fans like you who helped Dosh on his wayand its fans like you who have all they've deserved in Mullen.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
sid swifty wrote:That was because i couldn't stand the football his team were playing,and he was a big headed so and so,i wouldn't dream of making out that i knew more about team selection and tactics like you,stick to printing,thats your game,i dare say Jimmy wouldn't dream of telling you how to run a printing press.... :wink:

Its not being big headed if you can actually do it, which 80% of the time he delivered. It's fans like you who helped Dosh on his wayand its fans like you who have all they've deserved in Mullen.

Thats a tad harsh. Money caused most of his own problems, and in all honesty it wasn't about ambition, it was just about him being a sulky little man.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Thats a tad harsh. Money caused most of his own problems, and in all honesty it wasn't about ambition, it was just about him being a sulky little man.

Sorry Saus, shouldve expanded on it. He was touchy - Yes. His football wasn't the most pleasing on the eye - True. (Mostly, some of our play under Money was a delight.) But, most of the time he DID get results. For a club like ours we can't afford to be like Arsenal or WBA and be preachy about nice football, we need results and it's attitudes like Sid's that cock us up. Now look what we've sodding well got.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:46 pm

My point really, I don't think the fans had anything to do with Money leaving, infact I'm not exactly sure why he did, but he always seemed to be leaving an escape route for himself. You can't blame Sid for Mullen :D That one lies on Bonser's shoulders

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:57 pm

Well done Muddle you complete frigging idiot. Everyman and their dog could see the defence was a lot more solid last week. So what do you do? Shoehorn you're little teachers pet back into the side.

How stupid are you?

Just go now you pathetic excuse for a football manager :evil:

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:00 pm

“I am not the type of manager who likes to change things for the sake of it, but every time I have been forced to do a lot of things.”

A direct quote from our manager last Tuesday in the Express and Star.

So Jimmy, what "forced" you to change the back four and bring Palmer back in today? Simple question.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:30 pm

tinned wrote:Well done Muddle you complete frigging idiot. Everyman and their dog could see the defence was a lot more solid last week. So what do you do? Shoehorn you're little teachers pet back into the side.

How stupid are you?

Just go now you pathetic excuse for a football manager :evil:

Never a hint of "it might have been partly (or completely) my fault" in his post-match interview. Pathetic cretin hasn't got a clue! :evil:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:57 pm

what a flaming idiot. What the hell did Boertein and Reich do wrong last week to warrant being dropped today??

Like people said last week, these two played perfectly well down the left.

The inconsistency isnt from the players, its from the manager. He should have kept the same team and IMHO we would have got the same result. If there was a time when we saw Muddle was out of his depth, its now.

Get out of this club.
Last edited by Whitti Steve on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season