Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 6/12/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 6/12/08.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Duke wrote:After 2 defeats Mullen is forced to make changes against Swindon a much improved performance see's us win 2-1.
We travel to Huddersfield Mullen makes changes for the sake of it , we return to the hoof ball tactics and lose 1-2.
This idiot some call our manager is worse than Merson , if it aint broke don't fix it.

Mullen out.

Or to take that principle and extend it to the JB's actions from his appointment of Merson through to last January, "now that you've fixed it, please don't break it again".

I'm looking forward to JB being man enough to go before every Walsall supporter in the press and apologise for getting this appointment so horribly wrong.
It was afterall his well considered decision following months of sifting through the pile of 30 quality applicants.

I expect this event will take place the day after Satan's frostbite clears up.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:12 pm

moanin old git wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:After 2 defeats Mullen is forced to make changes against Swindon a much improved performance see's us win 2-1.
We travel to Huddersfield Mullen makes changes for the sake of it , we return to the hoof ball tactics and lose 1-2.
This idiot some call our manager is worse than Merson , if it aint broke don't fix it.

Mullen out.

Or to take that principle and extend it to the JB's actions from his appointment of Merson through to last January, "now that you've fixed it, please don't break it again".

I'm looking forward to JB being man enough to go before every Walsall supporter in the press and apologise for getting this appointment so horribly wrong.
It was afterall his well considered decision following months of sifting through the pile of 30 quality applicants.

I expect this event will take place the day after Satan's frostbite clears up.

In 'never never land' via 'Middle Earth' when the Sun implodes, the day after the day after tommorow, when it's PC
to be a Christian in Britain.

...and rubbish realitive tv shows are no longer on our tvs!

[modded - quote problems resolved]

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 am

Apalling first, i dont think any of our midfielders touched the ball in our half. Never a penalty however.

Picked up 2nd, ricketts dropped into midfield & showed hughes ( who has been our bigget let down of the season so far) and bradders , what creativity is. They huffed and puffed, we broke, ricketts slipped jabo in and jab finally showed us why he'll never make it above this level. We had a header off the line & for the first time in the game we actually had some pressure. Still cack defending, let them in for a very dissapointing last minute goal.

Gilmartin - Had a reasonable solid afternoon, only had one save to make.
Palmer - Below his usual standard of set piece taking, his defending doesn't even need mentioning, muddle & palmer's gay relationship needs ending now.
Gerrard - Looked a bit of the boil on occasion, but was generally his usual self.
Roberts - Roper the 2nd?. No pace, no agility, no flexibility, lacks composure on the ball. Put in a couple of good tackles though.
Weston - Still looks abit out of from, not surprisingly, he must have had his confidence shot watcing from the bench, another player mullen has done his best to wreck!. Put some decent tackles in though, won some headers, and on ocasions got up the pitch abit.
Hughes - I still think, hughes does the bare minimum & has under performed alot this season, especially for a man who was supposedly still fit to walk the parks of championship sides!. Did well defensively, looks scared to pass the ball forward, cant run forward with the ball, is far to negative & makes it into the box about as frequently as derby won last year!.
Bradley - well the less said about mark bradley the better, barely touched the ball & when he did he mis controlled it in a good position. Looks under confident, slow, off the pace, scared. Half the player from under dicky!.
Deeney - The lad puts his effort in dont get me wrong, but if he wears the shirt, so can i!. He's slow, lacks ideas, cant beat his man, makes no attempt to cross the ball and when he does he doesn't do it very well, i worry for his future after someone finally sorts this side out.
Nicholls - One of the days bright spots, looked pacey, gave there defenders problems. Scored a brillant goal , 3 in 3, i said at the beginning of the season, this was make or break for him!. Well isn't he making his name!. Rapidly turning into one of our more influential players.
Jabo - You could tell he hadn't played for 3 weeks, poor touch, not really much hustle and bustle, missed a one on one to arguably miss the game, he showed no composure, no brains & could have probably squared it to nicholls for an easier option. First time this season, he's really showed he wont make a name at any level higher than this.
Ricketts - Best player on the pitch, intelligent in possession, disciplined, creative, hard working, he's so inluential on the pitch for us, our goals come from him, our creativity comes from him, our skill & class come from him. Big big big loss when he goes elsewhere.

Subs -
Boertien - Came on and did his bit, got forward a bit as well, didnt deserve to be dropped in any way shape or form.
Mattis - Really gave us some legs when he came on, that was when we started creating a few chances, missed him from the start. Crucial player.
Reich - Well ask mullen his impact!. Brought on in stoppage time!.

Poor tactics, poor team selection. These players DO NOT want to player under jimmy muddle!.

Palmer and deeney should never have started.

Hughes shouldn't be captain for me, considering he has played in the premier league, he has so much experience, he hasn't showed anything at all, well not for me & a lot of others ive been listening to. Roberts is a slower version of roper, that's easily as mistake ridden. Why didnt boertien star?. Palmer should never have been on that pitch, what an insult from mullen to boest, 10x's the player palmer will ever be.

Too much is wrong with this side week in week out, when we're good, we're very good, when we're bad , we're apalling!. That's why were going to finish between 16th & 10th.

Suppose at least you'll never see the same performance twice.

:D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 am

Graydon48 wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Sorry for posting on a match thread, as I don't go to games and have only a passing interest in the meaningless drivel that masquerades as football at Walsall these days.

However, having visited to see what transpired this afternoon I noticed some conjecture as to why Richard Money left Walsall. Just to inform that there was an extensive interview with DD a few weeks ago in the Newcastle Evening Chronic(le) where he said in response to a direct question regarding his reason for leaving Walsall .......he left because he didn't feel his ambitions for the football club were matched by those running the club.

Sorry I don't have a link for those that require watertight, courtroom style proof of anything that might cast aspurtions upon the wonderfulness of the Bonser regime. However what I have posted here is entirely 100% acurate, so if anone at Walsall FC wants to sue me I'm sure I can get hold of back copy of the Chrony for my five minutes in court.

Geordie whats the point of that post?
Your only quoting what most of us worked out ourselfs the day he quit. But thanks for confirming the obvious.
On to the game, went to today. Thats it to depressed to make any comment on the game.
Ok just one comment we were rubbish 1st half, slightly less rubbish second. Nice ground though just a shame so few of us make the effort.

Errr... the point of the post is entirely self-explanatory in so much that many Walsall fans, although evidently not your good self, continue to argue the toss as to why DD departed. Good-oh that you spotted the obvious reason why at the time, my faith in human kind is warmly restored.

Sorry your depressed. Why do so few bother? In answer to your question, as one of the few that bothered to attend many more difficult and far flung venues than Huddersfield for many more years than I can care to recall, its because the football is tedious garbage, and the football club has become a meaningless appendage of a souless chairman's pension fund.

Whats this post about now ? I've travelled further in the past to watch WFC in the past than you have ?.
I think we are both passionate about our club but if you went to any game now home or away you will be saddened by the decline of this club.
Bonser or not this Club is dying a slow death no doubt about it.

Sorry I don't agree. Geordie isn't passionate about Walsall, not any more anyway, Just seems to take great delight in running the club down. It is quite frankly boring, and doesn't belong in the match thread anyway, So called lesser posters would have been reminded of this fact.

Geordie. the fact you believe what Richard Money says religously really makes me worry about your state of mind.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:40 pm

There's really no need to be so touchy.

I assume I have the right to reply?

I am no longer passionate about what happens on the pitch, and have explained why, that does not however mean that I am anything but extremely passionate about the future of Walsall Football Club, and the fact that one day (I hope) it will become once more, a football club in more than name only.

I have barely made any posts on match threads this season, the one that I made on here was in direct response to someone elses posting on the DD subject - relevant to the match, and I began with an apology for being on the match thread, but surely to heaven we can do so? its the nature of debate that points made about the game and team-selection etc. will broaden out to some extend by the time we reach page 5 or 6 to some discussion about the manager. I think your point about the mods is pretty childish as is the comment about "lesser posters".

As for what Richard Money says, don't shoot the messenger!! I'm sure he's as capable of being as ecconomical with the truth as the next man.

There's nothing remotely religious about my views on DD, I think he was a pretty good and successful lower division manager end of.

Its pretty clear who has the pre-concieved philosophies when it comes to DD, ie the ones who never miss a trick to slag him off. Well congrats, you got what you wanted, great isn't it??

As for running the club down, I tell it how I see it easy as that. there's plenty of times I've defended the club AND JB to the hilt, at the moment I think the football club is being run diabolically, and it would seem from what "still goers" generally post on the match-threads that is being reflected (as predicted) by a season of turgid, mediocre football.

Or have I got that wrong?

Ian Gittins

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:31 pm

No, fair do's. Personally speaking, I still find it utterly bizarre that any Walsall fans slag off Richard Money, a man who inherited a cartoon shambles of a club, won us a title in his first season, and had us in play-off contention before having our promotion chances sold off from beneath him.

There again, these are the same fans who credited Mullen for Walsall's mid-season improvement when he was hired by Money last year, complained long and hard when he was given the manager's job, applauded him for good pre-season signings, and are now portraying him as the worst manager in existence, despite the fact that we sit in the top half of the table.

You know what, Geordie? I don't blame you for staying away! :)

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season