Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Atheltic (A) League 1 Tuesday 25/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Re: Oldham Atheltic (A) League 1 Tuesday 25/11/08.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:12 am

Well, it's 4:10am and I can't sleep for some reason. Is it because of my worry of the plight of Walsall FC? Nope, I thought about this game at about 5:30pm yesterday afternoon - then completely forgot we were playing. Never even considered checking to see how we were getting on. Perhaps that says something about WFC at the moment. I would normally have spend a dull evening glued to the computer to see how were were getting on. Oh well, the result was as expected - so nothing new there.

MULLEN OUT

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:14 am

Graydon48 wrote:How does Bonser sleep at night?

Yeah, I know G48. I mean, all that worrying about whether one is getting the maximum return on one's pension nest egg during the "credit crunch", the maintenance of one's Cypriot villa, the fuel and running costs of one's helicopter, is it possible to fit in some yachting lessons, etc. Life's a bitch, really, with all these stresses. Maybe he could do a part-time job to take his mind off it all? I know - how about running a football club - PROPERLY? :twisted:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 am

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 am

Went to the game last night.

Starting at the back, Gilmartin was steady, although if I was being critical, I thought he might have saved the third, admittedly it was at the other end so my view wasn't perfect. Spent much of the first half playing sweeper as a result of what I thought was the main problem....an incredibly flat back four. Time and time again Oldham played balls on the ground behind our defence for Hughes, Byfield annd Taylor to run onto. The warning signs were there but we did not learn. Both goals in the first half were created this way.
Weston was poor for me, Palmer OK and Gerrard and Smith were OK when the strikers had their backs to them, but struggled to pick up their runs.

The Midfield played some decent football at times and competed well.

Up front, we scored two good goals, but hardly made the keeper work in the second half, given the amount of possession we had. Ricketts was frustrating at times seemingly refusing to shoot when in good positions and Deeeny for all his industry comes up short at this level. The difference in class between Lee Hughes and Deeny was there for all to see.

As for subs, Bradley did well but when Zaboub came on it was as if we had gone down to ten men and I have no idea why Mullen wasted time making the third substitution (unless he thought it was us that was winning)

Overall, we played some decent stuff and competed, however, the defensive tactics (flat and high up the pitch) played into their hands. Does Mullen not check on the opposition's style of play? (rhetorical question). It's difficult for any team when you need to score four goals in order to win.

Bonser out
Mullen out

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:55 am

Zippy wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Mullen is a joke. WTF!!!!! does he keep leaving Riech on the bench? NNUMPTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Some were saying this when Weston wasn't being played. Now he figures in the team.

Next you call for Reich.

Sounds to me like clutching at straws.

Zippy, are you for real? Im sure your sole purpose of posting on here is just to wind people up, and thats just what you are doing to me!

Do you actually KNOW whats happening at WFC? Or are you just adamant on dissagreeing with the OBVIOUS just for the hell of it?

Riech is a class above the majority of our squad, and i couldnt believe how well the club did to obtain his signature as a player. We are slowly but surely pushing him out to another club, who will certainly come back to haunt us, and why? Its due to Mullens either:- stubborness to play him for whatever reason, or is too blind to see class when its staring him in the face, and im afraid its the latter.

Now run along back to Geoffrey and Bungle, in the rainbows of cloud cuckoo land, because thats obviously where you are living! NUMPTY

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:58 am

Willy Nilly wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Mullen is a joke. WTF!!!!! does he keep leaving Riech on the bench? NNUMPTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

He didn't leave him on the bench though, Wayne. He came on in injury time. :? :roll:

Dave, thanks for the good news. Im gonna send a letter to Mr Mullen thanking him for finally seeing the light! :?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:33 am

chestersaddler wrote:Went to the game last night.

Starting at the back, Gilmartin was steady, although if I was being critical, I thought he might have saved the third, admittedly it was at the other end so my view wasn't perfect. Spent much of the first half playing sweeper as a result of what I thought was the main problem....an incredibly flat back four. Time and time again Oldham played balls on the ground behind our defence for Hughes, Byfield annd Taylor to run onto. The warning signs were there but we did not learn. Both goals in the first half were created this way.
Weston was poor for me, Palmer OK and Gerrard and Smith were OK when the strikers had their backs to them, but struggled to pick up their runs.

Up front, we scored two good goals, but hardly made the keeper work in the second half, given the amount of possession we had. Ricketts was frustrating at times seemingly refusing to shoot when in good positions and Deeeny for all his industry comes up short at this level. The difference in class between Lee Hughes and Deeny was there for all to see.

As for subs, Bradley did well but when Zaboub came on it was as if we had gone down to ten men and I have no idea why Mullen wasted time making the third substitution (unless he thought it was us that was winning)

Overall, we played some decent stuff and competed, however, the defensive tactics (flat and high up the pitch) played into their hands. Does Mullen not check on the opposition's style of play? (rhetorical question). It's difficult for any team when you need to score four goals in order to win.

Thanks for a balanced report chestersaddler.

However, surely you've got the highlighted bits wrong? I'm sure I've been told it's FACT that Gilmartin is useless, Weston is our saviour if only the manager would play him, Palmer's the worst footballer ever to put on a Walsall shirt and Gerrard is destined for much greater things. Is that not right? :roll:

I think we can all agree on Deeney though. I can't dislike the lad because he does give 100%, but he's clearly not good enough for this level.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 am

Mullen out .

he's gorro gew

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:38 am

Another poor result. Didn't go, but when you're losing more games than your winning the first step to sorting things out is to defend, defend properly and defend some more. Get confidence back in the defenders, get some clean sheets and then the results will come.

In the last 7 games we've conceded 14 goals. That is atrocious. No other word, simply atrocious. 2 goals a game. That means on average, we have to score 3 to win.

In our last 9 we've conceded 19! Over 2 goals a game!

We've only scored 32 goals in 21 games, thats 1.5 goals per game.

As 4143 said, this is a results business, and whichever way you look at it, Jimmy Mullen is not getting results. Lets no leave it 22 months like we did with Merson, because I really fear Mullen could kill Walsall FC.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:46 am

swiftyboy wrote:Zippy, are you for real? Im sure your sole purpose of posting on here is just to wind people up, and thats just what you are doing to me!

Do you actually KNOW whats happening at WFC? Or are you just adamant on dissagreeing with the OBVIOUS just for the hell of it?

Riech is a class above the majority of our squad, and i couldnt believe how well the club did to obtain his signature as a player. We are slowly but surely pushing him out to another club, who will certainly come back to haunt us, and why? Its due to Mullens either:- stubborness to play him for whatever reason, or is too blind to see class when its staring him in the face, and im afraid its the latter.

Now run along back to Geoffrey and Bungle, in the rainbows of cloud cuckoo land, because thats obviously where you are living! NUMPTY

Swiftyboy - I don't know zippy, but I'll give you my take on this. I suspect zippy, like myself at times, IS deliberately disagreeing for the simple reason that all the hype and hysteria around the "issues" with the club is way, way out of hand and we're fed up of hearing it. Things aren't great, anyone can see that. There are issues with the owner of the club (although they've been there for many, many years and I personally don't see that anything's changed), there are issues with the falling crowds and there are clearly issues with the management of the team.

BUT we are NOT bottom of the league, we are mid-table in the division which is probably our "correct" place. That's not "disaster" or "doom and gloom". Until a viable alternative to Mr Bonser comes along, I cannot see what anyone hopes to gain from moaning constantly about the situation. Easy choice - if you still enjoy going to the footie, go. If you don't enjoy it anymore, don't go. I'm coming close to the latter just because the standard of football is dire and I can watch it on the parks at no cost.

As for the comment about Reich....this perhaps highlights a good part of the problem with the club and with message boards such as this. Do all the "disaffected" fans agree on the issues that need to be resolved? It's all very well reallying around "Bonser out" and "Mullen out" - but does everyone have the same reason for wanting both of those? I've heard people saying they want "Bonser out" for very valid reasons relating to the purchase of the freehold. Conversely there are far too many who want "Bonser out" because he's got a boat and a villa in Cyprus :roll: Others want him out because he doesn't spend £200,000+ on a player each summer! Same applies with the "Mullen out" comments and the team selection. For every person such as yourself who thinks Reich should be playing, I think you'll find another fan (including me) who thinks that when he's had chances, he's made himself look the laziest person ever to put on a Walsall shirt (and that includes merson!). Others say Boertien should be playing every game when the alternative view is that your 90 year old granny could turn him the way he's played this season.

Clearly, results-wise, things are not good of late. And,from my point of view, I want to be entertained by good football so again, things are not good of late. But a bit of perspective and a bit of healthy debate where we might be able to agree on issues without name-calling, wouldn't go amiss.

The final word of your post to zippy does you no favours at all. As someone who is clearly intelligent, who is passionate about the club and had the balls to try and engage in some dialogue, I'm disappointed in that.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:47 am

looking at last nights Subs: Boertien, Sansara, Zaaboub, Reich, Bradley.
Unbelievable 3 players that would walk into to most side in this league.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:51 am

Difference is Shrops that some of us can see whats coming. It's called foresight.

A few of us saw it early on with Merson.

It's an uncanny ability to weigh up the manager. You can judge him by lots of things, the way he talks, the way he acts on the sidelines, his mid-game reactions, his team selections, the attitudes of other players, his tactics etc.

Everything suggests he's completely useless, and things will only get worse with him at the helm. Many of us said the decision to appoint him was a very poor one, and it was clear it was because he's cheap - those same people gave him a chance, and they've been proved right.

Mullen must go.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:54 am

Duke wrote:looking at last nights Subs: Boertien, Sansara, Zaaboub, Reich, Bradley.

And you missed out Zaboob who was a regular last season for Swindon, tore us apart at Bescot, is a traditional winger who can take on his man and cross...and we play Deeney on the wing instead.

Mullens team selections aren't just baffling, they're Marks & Spencers extraordinary home-grown hand-reared baffling.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:08 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Went to the game last night.

Thanks for a balanced report chestersaddler.

However, surely you've got the highlighted bits wrong? I'm sure I've been told it's FACT that Gilmartin is useless, Weston is our saviour if only the manager would play him, Palmer's the worst footballer ever to put on a Walsall shirt and Gerrard is destined for much greater things. Is that not right? :roll:

I think we can all agree on Deeney though. I can't dislike the lad because he does give 100%, but he's clearly not good enough for this level.

What I wrote is how I saw the game. Others may have a different view. On Gilmartin, I want to see the goals on TV as I may be doing him a disservive re: the third goal. Otherwise he was fine, particularly his judgement of when to come off his line.

Weston struggled possibly because of the tactics employed and the guy he was marking (Taylor), played well. Oldham quickly realised by playing the ball inside Weston allowed Taylor to easily get round the back. The same tactics worked down the centre, and in fact it was only Palmer on the left who was able to cope with this.

Smith and Gerrard tackled well and coped well with any aerial threats but struggled to cope with the runners.

This was a game we could have won and should have drawn. The overall performance was not that of a relegation side, but again I have to seriously question the manager and his tactics.

Although it would not have been easy on the eye we should have defended more deeply so as to nullify their slick pass and move game. On the few occassions we were penned in our half (eg free kick, corners) we coped easily. It was when we were pushing up the pitch we were vulnerable. Surely a guy whose living it is can see this!

On Deeney, he does not have the goalscorers instinct. I agree with many on this site - we need someone who picks up the layoffs and makes space in the six yard box. Lee Hughes two goals were classic examples of what we are short of.

Above all, we have to sort out the defensive tactics.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:10 am

philthesaddler wrote:Difference is Shrops that some of us can see whats coming. It's called foresight.

A few of us saw it early on with Merson.

It's an uncanny ability to weigh up the manager. You can judge him by lots of things, the way he talks, the way he acts on the sidelines, his mid-game reactions, his team selections, the attitudes of other players, his tactics etc.

Everything suggests he's completely useless, and things will only get worse with him at the helm. Many of us said the decision to appoint him was a very poor one, and it was clear it was because he's cheap - those same people gave him a chance, and they've been proved right.

Mullen must go.

See, there you go again Phil. Because YOU have one point of view, you think people who have a different view can't see it :roll: Which just divides the fans again....and makes any agreement on issues nigh on impossible. That's what gets tiresome :(

Does not the fact that I suggest I'm getting to the point where I may not bother going to certain matches not indicate that I also know that the manager's not doing a great job? :roll:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:13 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:looking at last nights Subs: Boertien, Sansara, Zaaboub, Reich, Bradley.

And you missed out Zaboob who was a regular last season for Swindon, tore us apart at Bescot, is a traditional winger who can take on his man and cross...and we play Deeney on the wing instead.

Mullens team selections aren't just baffling, they're Marks & Spencers extraordinary home-grown hand-reared baffling.

Agreed , like Reich Muddle just won't give Zaaboub a chance.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:16 am

chestersaddler wrote:Weston struggled possibly because of the tactics employed and the guy he was marking (Taylor), played well. Oldham quickly realised by playing the ball inside Weston allowed Taylor to easily get round the back. The same tactics worked down the centre, and in fact it was only Palmer on the left who was able to cope with this.

Smith and Gerrard tackled well and coped well with any aerial threats but struggled to cope with the runners.

This was a game we could have won and should have drawn. The overall performance was not that of a relegation side, but again I have to seriously question the manager and his tactics.

Sorry chester, I was making a point based on your posting :oops: Despite the clamour for Weston to play (and I accept that he's probably demotivated and possibly lacking match sharpness), he hasn't impressed me in the games he's played. He's most certainly made mistakes which have cost us goals. Now,of course, because I don't get hysterical :wink: I know that, having been one of the best players last year, he hasn't suddenly turned into one of the worst. But the fact remains that on performances this season alone, he barely deserves his place.

Same applies to Boertien as far as I'm concerned. He is a smashing player when he's playing well. But, to be fair, some of his defending this season has been dreadful and he's been beaten far too easily.

As for Palmer, no I don't like him and can't believe someone who's scared to tackle can be a pro footballer....but to suggest he's the "worst footballer ever to wear the shirt" is utter tripe and your comments on his performance last night indicate that he does have decent games.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:27 am

Shrops

Having re read my post it appears a little curt towards your response - it was in no way meant to. I take your point about some of the varying opinions about different players and was trying to point out that my review is only my opinion about one match.

If we had a competent manager we might get to see the real potential of players and the team rather than what we are seeing at present.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:32 am

chestersaddler wrote:Shrops

Having re read my post it appears a little curt towards your response - it was in no way meant to. I take your point about some of the varying opinions about different players and was trying to point out that my review is only my opinion about one match.

If we had a competent manager we might get to see the real potential of players and the team rather than what we are seeing at present.

No worries chester, I took it in the right spirit. I do appreciate that, despite the fact that you clearly want the manager out, you are able to post a balanced, intelligent review of the match giving praise where praise is due. I get rather fed up of the completely biased views that some hold that influence everything they say.

I don't think anyone could argue against the fact that the whole is less than the sum of the parts right now :( But I don't understand why some revel in saying defeat last night was "inevitable" when the fact is that we were minutes away from a very creditable draw against a team above us in the league and with us missing several key players.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:49 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Zippy, are you for real? Im sure your sole purpose of posting on here is just to wind people up, and thats just what you are doing to me!

Swiftyboy - I don't know zippy, but I'll give you my take on this. I suspect zippy, like myself at times, IS deliberately disagreeing for the simple reason that all the hype and hysteria around the "issues" with the club is way, way out of hand and we're fed up of hearing it. Things aren't great, anyone can see that. There are issues with the owner of the club (although they've been there for many, many years and I personally don't see that anything's changed), there are issues with the falling crowds and there are clearly issues with the management of the team.

BUT we are NOT bottom of the league, we are mid-table in the division which is probably our "correct" place. That's not "disaster" or "doom and gloom". Until a viable alternative to Mr Bonser comes along, I cannot see what anyone hopes to gain from moaning constantly about the situation. Easy choice - if you still enjoy going to the footie, go. If you don't enjoy it anymore, don't go. I'm coming close to the latter just because the standard of football is dire and I can watch it on the parks at no cost.

As for the comment about Reich....this perhaps highlights a good part of the problem with the club and with message boards such as this. Do all the "disaffected" fans agree on the issues that need to be resolved? It's all very well reallying around "Bonser out" and "Mullen out" - but does everyone have the same reason for wanting both of those? I've heard people saying they want "Bonser out" for very valid reasons relating to the purchase of the freehold. Conversely there are far too many who want "Bonser out" because he's got a boat and a villa in Cyprus :roll: Others want him out because he doesn't spend £200,000+ on a player each summer! Same applies with the "Mullen out" comments and the team selection. For every person such as yourself who thinks Reich should be playing, I think you'll find another fan (including me) who thinks that when he's had chances, he's made himself look the laziest person ever to put on a Walsall shirt (and that includes merson!). Others say Boertien should be playing every game when the alternative view is that your 90 year old granny could turn him the way he's played this season.

Clearly, results-wise, things are not good of late. And,from my point of view, I want to be entertained by good football so again, things are not good of late. But a bit of perspective and a bit of healthy debate where we might be able to agree on issues without name-calling, wouldn't go amiss.

The final word of your post to zippy does you no favours at all. As someone who is clearly intelligent, who is passionate about the club and had the balls to try and engage in some dialogue, I'm disappointed in that.

Shrops, you know my general dislike of Bonser, but the point i was making, is that Zippy only seems to post to dissagree with someone. Its that that is tiresome to ME. All the other negative points about the general negativity at the club are dotted in and around hundreds of other posts on other subjects, hence the reason i was only commenting on Riech. For Zippy to say im "clutching at straws" as if im deperate to find something to moan about, is what gets by back up!

The fact is, that Riech is proven at a much higher level than this, showed class in the games he played earlier in the season, and would provide untold experience if he was given a "real chance" in the team, instead of rotting on the bench, or making 2 minute appearances at the end of games. This happens time and time again with players this season, and what good does it do? The only plus point is if we are winning or drawing, and we make a change to run the clock down. The times when Mullen does it (i.e. Reich and Ishy on several occaisions) we are LOSING or chasing the game, hence my ridicule as to why Mullen keeps bringing subs on for the last minutes. Its embarrassing!

It must boil down to either JM not having a clue, or he has poor man management. Zabboub is the other prime example. As mentioned earlier, he ripped us apart last year when we played Swindon, and he looks a completely different player now. WFC's fault? You decide....

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:12 pm

latviancheese wrote:Never want walsall to lose, but if we lose saturday he should get the sack surely.

Im gnna get me tickets for the text OAP stand, just so i know he can hear my abuse. Cretin.

Looks like i'm gonna need to get in early on saturday as there may not be many seats left in my usual stand :( :D

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:25 pm

i may go im not sure yet .. if i do it will be my 2nd of the season

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Never want walsall to lose, but if we lose saturday he should get the sack surely.

Im gnna get me tickets for the text OAP stand, just so i know he can hear my abuse. Cretin.

Looks like i'm gonna need to get in early on saturday as there may not be many seats left in my usual stand :( :D

Bet they sell out of Pies and Pasties at 2.50 like they did Saturday

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:36 pm

I'm withShrops on this one.

I for one am sick of the negativity surrounding WFC at the moment. Some people are obviously hacked off with our Chairman and Manager. I for one am to but Bonser ain't gonna let go just because of a few moaning fans and letters to the club. He is a hardened business man. He has not made money by being everybodies best mate. As for the manager I am not a fan of Mullen or his tactics and must admit I have posted on here saying Mullen out but with hindsight who would do a better job for us. Kelly, unproven, Bothroyd would not touch us. Billy Davies will be setting his sights higher. WFC is important to us, the supporters to out of work managers we are just another mid table lower league club.

Our head is above water (just) and things can only get better. The bottom line is that Mullen is playing with as many cards that the board will give him. I am trying to see my glass as half full not half empty.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:40 pm

caldy wrote:I'm withShrops on this one.

I for one am sick of the negativity surrounding WFC at the moment. Some people are obviously hacked off with our Chairman and Manager. I for one am to but Bonser ain't gonna let go just because of a few moaning fans and letters to the club. He is a hardened business man. He has not made money by being everybodies best mate. As for the manager I am not a fan of Mullen or his tactics and must admit I have posted on here saying Mullen out but with hindsight who would do a better job for us. Kelly, unproven, Bothroyd would not touch us. Billy Davies will be setting his sights higher. WFC is important to us, the supporters to out of work managers we are just another mid table lower league club.

Our head is above water (just) and things can only get better. The bottom line is that Mullen is playing with as many cards that the board will give him. I am trying to see my glass as half full not half empty.

No he's not. He's frozen out at least two of the cards that the board have given him (Reich and Boertien, plus he did the same to Weston earlier in the season and Zaaboub's not had a proper run) and sacked another one of them (probably correctly).

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:53 pm

caldy wrote:I'm withShrops on this one.

Caldy, although all of the issues ultimately lie at Bonser's door, it is possible to disect them.

The players, with one or two additions to the squad are good enough to push for a playoff place. They are clearly underachieving under Mullen and I do not see many arguments on this site contrary to that view.

Some of the negativity is because of the frustration around team selection, tactics, favouritism etc.

If Bonser sacks Mullen and appoints a decent replacement (of which there are many), I believe that a lot of negativity will disappear, particularly from the people who are more interested in the state of the current team and less interested in how Bonser stole the future of WFC.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:17 pm

caldy wrote:

Thats the point he isn't ., why week after week does insist on playing Palmer , Nicholls , Deeney and Taundry when

A) 3 Of Them are nowhere near ready for regular first team football

B) We have better options , he Mullen is the one who signed the likes of Zaaboub and Reich yet won't use them .

Its not working , poor performance after poor performance and he won't change it.

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:21 pm

This is what I had intended from my post, a constructive discussion about matters rather than MULLEN OUT and BONSER OUT. I take the points made to my post and perhaps Mullen could do things better. We all know about our Chairman and it does not take me to repeat it here. I AM NOT MULLENS BIGGEST FAN. The point I was trying to make was that if Mullen went for instance and a another manager came in and results didn't go well from the off how long would it be before fans start calling for his head and then you are in a vicious circle on and on it goes.See Newcastle. His team selections are baffling and at one point I nearly turned the car round on the way to the game having heard the team announced on WM. I takes a few people to air well constructed views on Mullens tactics etc... and people jump on band wagons. My main critisism of Mullen is his team selections. They worry me especially last night where 2 left backs were on the bench and a jack of all trades in their place but although we lost it seems as though we didn't play badly. I listened to the game on Saddlers World and it seemed we held our own. Swindon Saturday will be a massive game. I am with holding judgement on Mullen till January when we can see our position, see if any loan players have been bought in by Thursday night and see how he deals with the January sales. I'll reitterate my point I see my glass as half full not half empty.
Last edited by caldy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:35 pm

Like many fans I was not happy with Mullen appointment , but I was more than prepared to give him a chance.
His signings have impressed me , our performance against Carlisle impressed me .
Its clear to me he has no plan B I'm begining to think he has no plan A , something has to change and quick we are now just 6 points from the bottom 4 if that dosen't set the alarm bells ringing nothing will.

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Duke wrote:Like many fans I was not happy with Mullen appointment , but I was more than prepared to give him a chance.
His signings have impressed me , our performance against Carlisle impressed me .
Its clear to me he has no plan B I'm begining to think he has no plan A , something has to change and quick we are now just 6 points from the bottom 4 if that dosen't set the alarm bells ringing nothing will.

Again the glass half full approach is if we win our game in hand we are six points off the play offs. What you have stated is fact and nobody can argue with fact, what I have stated is circumstance, I hope circumstance wins in this case!!!!

And I agree with your other points, his signings have been good and we have performed brilliantly in some games, although other games have more than let us down in both performance and result. The 3-1 win over Northampton was an odd one for me. We won 3-1 and people left deflated as we had played badly. I will take winning and playing badly every day of the week.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season