Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Atheltic (A) League 1 Tuesday 25/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Re: Oldham Atheltic (A) League 1 Tuesday 25/11/08.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:52 pm

Going to be an interesting game on Sat, I will be bringing my son again who has not see us lose this year yet...... fingers crossed.
Still looking forward to a few pre match beers more than the game though.

EDIT

Ment to post this in the Swindon thread.
Last edited by tape66 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:57 pm

As if proof were needed regarding my "what ARE the issues" point? :D Have a look at the last 10-15 posts.

Caldy, you seem like a decent, intelligent poster and please don't take this in any way as being against you.........but you're not "with me" :) Your assessment that Mr Mullen is doing the best he can with what he's been given is, in my opinion, incorrect.

However, conversely, I don't believe that the problem is Mr Mullen not playing Reich, Boertien, Bradley....or even Weston at times, since none of those players has done enough so far THIS season to demand that they be picked.

My perception of the current situation re the football side of things is that we have a squad capable of doing quite well in this league. It's a small squad and we're in a bit of trouble now because of injuries. But notwithstanding that, we have quality in there and if the manager employs the right tactics and motivates the players correctly, we can be up somewhere near the play-offs at the end of the season.

At the start of the season, we played some great football and all looked rosy. Since then, we have, for some inexplicable reason, decided to play hoofball and try and sit and defend leads when we get them. Wrong tactics for the players we have. And that seems to have affected motivation and team morale. Possibly there are arguments in the dressing room about the way we're playing. Certainly, if you look at Ricketts' body language when another ball is hoofed in his direction, he's not happy with it!

Although I don't agree with certain team selections, I don't think this is the biggest factor. Even with Palmer, Taundry, Deeney, Nicholls in the team, we could be doing a lot better than we have recently.

It feels to me as though a "clear the air" team meeting is needed, but I'm not sure if Mr Mullen's managerial style allows for this?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
My perception of the current situation re the football side of things is that we have a squad capable of doing quite well in this league. It's a small squad and we're in a bit of trouble now because of injuries. But notwithstanding that, we have quality in there and if the manager employs the right tactics and motivates the players correctly, we can be up somewhere near the play-offs at the end of the season.

At the start of the season, we played some great football and all looked rosy. Since then, we have, for some inexplicable reason, decided to play hoofball and try and sit and defend leads when we get them. Wrong tactics for the players we have. And that seems to have affected motivation and team morale. Possibly there are arguments in the dressing room about the way we're playing. Certainly, if you look at Ricketts' body language when another ball is hoofed in his direction, he's not happy with it!

It feels to me as though a "clear the air" team meeting is needed, but I'm not sure if Mr Mullen's managerial style allows for this?

Bang on .

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Lovely. Still doesn't hide the fact that we're paddling up shyte creek.

There is enough in the side to perform better, this we know. But, he continues with players who are too inconsistent, and at the same time we are rapidly approaching a time when our numbers will be further down. Reich will be gone at this rate, Gerrard most likely to move on, and Bonser that there isn't any further funding available.

A diminishing squad size that's having the confidence knocked out of it left right and centre combined with obsecure tactics is a major worry.

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Have we got a few players causing problems in the ranks? If we have Mullen needs to sort it. Gezza's outbursts to the fans may lie deeper than we all think. Shrops I meant your overall sentiment that's all.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:46 pm

caldy wrote:Have we got a few players causing problems in the ranks? If we have Mullen needs to sort it. Gezza's outbursts to the fans may lie deeper than we all think. Shrops I meant your overall sentiment that's all.

If you mean Mullen has lot the dressing room , yes I think he has.

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:50 pm

His doing or in fighting? I know it is his responsibility but has he caused it or are there a few trouble makers within?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:01 pm

caldy wrote:His doing or in fighting? I know it is his responsibility but has he caused it or are there a few trouble makers within?

My feeling is the players are just as frustrated and confused as us with tacticts and team selection that shows in matches at times.
Plus the fact that Mullen has publicly slagged players off in the press , that sort of thing will upset any dressing room.

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:06 pm

I think you are dead right. Public slagging off solves nothing. Have you noticed this doesn't happen now? I also think that Gerrard and possibly Weston do not help. Reich strikes me as a mercenary and is not bothered where he is playing just so long as he is earning. Can't blame him. Best thing Mullen can do is play players in their own positions for a run of games and reassess who should be playing on match days. We don't see the lads in training, could be a different kettle of fish.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Weston and Gerrard caused no problems before Mullen's appointment , clearly along with several other players they are unhappy now.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:07 pm

I was dissapointed with our fans. No atmosphere at all, which suprised me as we're usually loud away from home and on a cold night it would have warmed us up abir.

Oldham are a decent team, looked very good first half. Knocked the ball around well. In the second I think we could have won it, but it wasn't to be and the scum of the earth scored the winner.

I was finally impressed by Zaaboub when he came on. He finally did well in a match. I was also impressed with Ricketts, Nicholls and Taundry who all had good games.

On the other hand, Deeney was woeful. His finishing is crap. We need another striker as back up for times like this when Jabo (or Kabo according to the back of the programme) is out.

Also, according to Oldham's programme, we also still have Tommy Mooney and Mawete Junior. Almost as bad as the sky sports website!

I thought we deserved atleast a point, but it wasn't to be. We are alot better away from home, atleast today we played well. Up The Saddlers

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:I was dissapointed with our fans. No atmosphere at all, which suprised me as we're usually loud away from home and on a cold night it would have warmed us up abir.
Oldham are a decent team, looked very good first half. Knocked the ball around well. In the second I think we could have won it, but it wasn't to be and the scum of the earth scored the winner.

I was finally impressed by Zaaboub when he came on. He finally did well in a match. I was also impressed with Ricketts, Nicholls and Taundry who all had good games.

On the other hand, Deeney was woeful. His finishing is crud. We need another striker as back up for times like this when Jabo (or Kabo according to the back of the programme) is out.

Also, according to Oldham's programme, we also still have Tommy Mooney and Mawete Junior. Almost as bad as the sky sports website!

I thought we deserved atleast a point, but it wasn't to be. We are alot better away from home, atleast today we played well. Up The Saddlers

Wyrley, I echo your comments re the fans! Seemed to me that we had a fair proportion of our "senior" followers there last night and that, coupled with the cold may have been the reason. When OAF FC equalised they sang "your not singing any more"! We weren't singing to start with.

I must have missed what you saw with the Boob, I thought we were comfortable until the change and struggled a bit after it. I can't remember much of a contribution from him to be honest, however, thats only an opinion not a fact.

Agree totally with Deeney as already stated in my earlier post

kevin
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:28 am

moanin old git wrote:We scagged 'em

:D Ain't heard that phrase used, since Dale Banton was regularly knocking em in.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:03 am

kevin wrote:... since Dale Banton was regularly knocking 'em in.

.... for York City? :mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season