Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 22/11/08

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: MK Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 22/11/08

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:53 am

Exile wrote:That was an entirely predictable defeat, although the nature of it is the sad part. Here's hoping the lads can regroup for next weekend.

How about Oldham away on Tuesday :oops: ?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:39 pm

It was embarrassing to watch Walsall being outclassed by MK Dons - and the Dons were really only average. They had the distinct advantage in being able to pass to each other. They seemed to be able to keep the ball at will, but with only one player up front did not really threaten our goals very often.

I have to take my hat off to the the FTG crowd who had a spell of cheering each time Walsall completed a pass - I think we managed four passes in a row, each accompanied by an ironic cheer. The "Ole" cheer at a pass, which normally only occurs when your side has domination over the opposition was a fitting rebuke to the team's inability all afternoon to string passes together. I think that is the first time I have heard the Walsall crowd indulge in ironic cheering for us simply making a pass.

I find it odd that nobody has mentioned that the first goal was down to abysmal defending by Weston who gave a funny little crab-dance away from Jemal Johnson that allowed him time and space to score with a good shot.

Was it Evran Wright who celebrated so loudly Mark Wright's goal; opening the window of the box near the centre of the TextOAP stand to give the biggest cheer of the day?

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:17 pm

That does surprise me about the WM reporter ... i thouht they gave their fully impartial honest opinion :wink:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Exile wrote:Can I just add that this season I'm really loving the impromptu comments on the match threads regarding potential supporter actions at the match. A totally unique feature, having visited many oppo sites this season, and very, very funny.

Thanks, fans - that's part of what makes Walsall become The Saddlers. OUR club.

I have been a big fan of this feature this season, big thanks to Pedro for starting it :D

Even if they are a bit random :D

Dynamo Souffle wrote:Evo to walk around the Stadium Suite in a white Bra at half time

I tell thee, the match was that shocking I was tempted to do that the whole game. I can't think of one possitive from yesterdays shambles. Comfortably beaten by a very average team. Apologies to Blazing for dragging him along.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Their first goal whilst being a cracking hit, was down to two defensive errors.

Manny smith didnt get his header away, infact it was pathetic. Then Weston slipped, which gave The dingle reject the space to shoot.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:39 pm

I cant be bothered to talk about the match except to say that Mullen is worse than Merson, that is some feat.

Fair play to Jorge14 and WFC_Rob because I wholeheartedly agree with what they said.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:40 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:That was an entirely predictable defeat, although the nature of it is the sad part. Here's hoping the lads can regroup for next weekend.

How about Oldham away on Tuesday :oops: ?

Shameful. Forgot that game was coming. Were I an ardent stayaway I'd make a pithy comment about not caring when games are this season, but that was a rank error on my part. :oops:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Cully wrote:Oh, and just in case anybody tuned into radio dingle, please be aware that the pitch side reporter was in the lounge with Bonser preparing the ridiculous script he read out after the match when he described our performance in the second half as 'dominant', 'unlucky', 'well on top', 'six clear cut goal chances' etc etc....

We were absolute rubbish and he [the reporter] was on drugs or the payroll.

haha, I didnt hear a report on the radio, but was it that bad?

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:47 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:Oh, and just in case anybody tuned into radio dingle, please be aware that the pitch side reporter was in the lounge with Bonser preparing the ridiculous script he read out after the match when he described our performance in the second half as 'dominant', 'unlucky', 'well on top', 'six clear cut goal chances' etc etc....

Yep, thats what they kept saying.

Also, they keep banging on about Palmer being a 'gem of a find' for a free transfer. :shock: :shock: :!:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:00 pm

KJC wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Yep, thats what they kept saying.

Also, they keep banging on about Palmer being a 'gem of a find' for a free transfer. :shock: :shock: :!:

Didn't have the heart to listen to the radio on the way home (as bad a performance as I've seen from a home side with a full complement of players, the 6-1 Coventry game is the only other one that springs to mind as being close to as bad even when down to 10), but they were bigging Palmer up before the game too. No idea why. Perhaps they only look at the highlights - and half of our goals come from his corners.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:14 am

still dire though

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:31 am

Palmer is atrocious. Certainly the worst player I've seen play for Walsall. People say he's in the team because of his corners and free kicks. Hold on, I seem to remember Richard Taundry taking vicious corners, and Marco Reich can hit a damn good free kick as we know.

As a footballer, he's weak, slow, lacks movement, lacks guts,

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 am

I spent the first half trying to work out who was playing where., we lacked shape and leadership . I Honestly feel the players were as confused as me .
Time and time Muddle leaves experienced proven players out of the team ., Reich , Boertien . Bradley and Zaboub and we are left with Taundry , Deeney and Nicolas who are clearly not ready for regular first team football.

A slighty improvement in the second half when we changed to 442 at least we ceated a few chances . however had we scored i'm convinced MK would have scored another 2.

Worse than anything i saw under Merson

MULLEN OUT

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 am

Duke wrote:I spent the first half trying to work out who was playing where., we lacked shape and leadership . I Honestly feel the players were as confused as me .
Time and time Muddle leaves experienced proven players out of the team ., Reich , Boertien . Bradley and Zaboub and we are left with Taundry , Deeney and Nicolas who are clearly not ready for regular first team football.

A slighty improvement in the second half when we changed to 442 at least we ceated a few chances . however had we scored i'm convinced MK would have scored another 2.

Worse than anything i saw under Merson

MULLEN OUT

It was basically help-yourself-time for MK yesterday. If they'd kept pressing after they scored the first goal (yet another in the first 10 minutes) then they could have been out of sight by half time. And by the end they were just waltzing through us and could easily have had more if they'd needed them - but, understandably, they were happy to save energy and sit on what they had.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:29 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Palmer is atrocious. Certainly the worst player I've seen play for Walsall. People say he's in the team because of his corners and free kicks. Hold on, I seem to remember Richard Taundry taking vicious corners, and Marco Reich can hit a damn good free kick as we know.

I've said this for ages..... Why is Taundry not taking the corners anymore, they were always straight into the middle of the box and caused problems. Unlike what we have now which is either too short or too long :? :(

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Palmer is atrocious. Certainly the worst player I've seen play for Walsall. People say he's in the team because of his corners and free kicks. Hold on, I seem to remember Richard Taundry taking vicious corners, and Marco Reich can hit a damn good free kick as we know.

I've said this for ages..... Why is Taundry not taking the corners anymore, they were always straight into the middle of the box and caused problems. Unlike what we have now which is either too short or too long :? :(

I agree. There are others who can swing in a decent corner too. Reich can. Ishmel could. Obviously, the latter is no longer an option (and the former may not be for too much longer).

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:52 pm

MK's Jason Puncheon comments in this mornings sun.

"Not many teams will come to a place like Walsall and score 3 goals "

Wrong Jason many more teams will do it .

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm

Duke wrote:MK's Jason Puncheon comments in this mornings sun.

Sure he didn't say "only 3 goals"?
:(

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:59 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Duke wrote:MK's Jason Puncheon comments in this mornings sun.

Sure he didn't say "only 3 goals"?
:(

20 goals conceded in 11 home games this season. Just shy of 2 goals conceded per game ON AVERAGE.

Puts Puncheons quote in context and shows him up to be rather dim.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season