Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 15/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Re: Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 15/11/08.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Anybody hear Mick Kearns' comment after the final whistle on WM, praising the 200 who 'bothered' to go. How about the fact that most of us have to pay to get to the matches, a lot of us can't afford it. He obviously hasn't heard of the credit crunch.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Nice one , a win!

after last week, time to rebuild some confidence and mend some bridges between players and supporters.

well done team, good result and a clean sheet, most most welcome!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:54 pm

Cracking win. Nice to get a clean sheet as well. I remember a day when we couldn't buy a point away from home let alone win with ease, but that has all changed over the past couple of years.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:Anybody hear Mick Kearns' comment after the final whistle on WM, praising the 200 who 'bothered' to go. How about the fact that most of us have to pay to get to the matches, a lot of us can't afford it. He obviously hasn't heard of the credit crunch.

It just shows how removed from reality those at the club are. However, that should not detract from an excellent three points. Those 200 or so certainly deserved it.

Northants Saddler

Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:53 pm

As predicted!
Come on you beauties
Wasnt at the game so i dont know how the team played
The fact they won suits me fine
Isnt it amazing what a victory can do
last two league games won!
Spirits have risen already
Come on you Saddlers
Wembley is still a possibility this year

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 pm

oooo a win, no my spirits havent risen.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Just got back (one of the 200). Now I don't want to dampen any enthusiam but by no stretch of the imagination did we play well. We had three chances and took two of them. Should have won 3 -0 but when Nichols - who played well and showed great pace - put Zaboub through, he hesitated and lost a golden opportunity. Colchester were poor, had 70% of the game, won every 50:50 ball but had no penetration. That said - I guess that means our defence played well. Still, 3 points. Let's hope it gives the lads the confidence to push for a play off place.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Points great - well done the lads on an away victory, only the fifth league team in eight matches to accomplish that feat. :D

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:33 pm

I thought we'd win today, although I did predict 2-1... Colchester's home record is atrocious, I think it stands at W1 D2 L6 in all competitions now. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you, question is whether we can start performing at home.

I still think folk talking about Top 6 are living in cloud cuckoo land, I don't think we've got the first XI or the XVI or the squad for it as things stand currently.

Glad to see Weston return, hope Mullen is now going to stop cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:48 pm

Stu wrote:I thought we'd win today, although I did predict 2-1... Colchester's home record is atrocious, I think it stands at W1 D2 L6 in all competitions now. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you, question is whether we can start performing at home.

I still think folk talking about Top 6 are living in cloud cuckoo land, I don't think we've got the first XI or the XVI or the squad for it as things stand currently.

Glad to see Weston return, hope Mullen is now going to stop cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Well, seeing as we're only five points off it with a game in hand I think that either we have a squad capable of competing there or Mullen is a decent manager who's getting as much out of his team as could be expected. Your call... :wink:

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:57 pm

yep im delighted to get the win and certainly relieves some pressure on Mullen .Atleast its something we can now build on.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Wahoooooo! Come on you reds! I don't know if I'm coming or going at the moment!

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Just back from Willy Travel day out, if you think we`re bad it`s a good job you dont support Colchester they`re worse than we. Plus they have the hassle to have to catch the bus to and from the ground which was a pain.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:09 pm

So now we have to take on 3rd place Dons now ................ In the words of Bobinder the Builder ............Can we do it ??????????

:D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:19 pm

adjisaddler wrote:So now we have to take on 3rd place Dons now ................ In the words of Bobinder the Builder ............Can we do it ??????????

:D

Recent home form might suggest "No we corr", however, let's keep positive!
Last edited by chestersaddler on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:Just got back (one of the 200). Now I don't want to dampen any enthusiam but by no stretch of the imagination did we play well. We had three chances and took two of them. Should have won 3 -0 but when Nichols - who played well and showed great pace - put Zaboub through, he hesitated and lost a golden opportunity. Colchester were poor, had 70% of the game, won every 50:50 ball but had no penetration. That said - I guess that means our defence played well. Still, 3 points. Let's hope it gives the lads the confidence to push for a play off place.

Cheers for the report. The emboldened bit is why we must have Michael Ricketts in the team. Call him lazy if you like, slate him all you wish, but give him a decent chance and he'll finish it.

Delighted we won.

How did Weston do?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:50 pm

[quote="Dave Gittins"]Anybody hear Mick Kearns' comment after the final whistle on WM, praising the 200 who 'bothered' to go. How about the fact that most of us have to pay to get to the matches, a lot of us can't afford it. He obviously hasn't heard of the credit crunch.[/quoteI
I think you interpreted that comment by Kearns the way you wanted to hear it.
It was a genuine praise for those who made the journey not a dig at those who didn't

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I actually quite enjoyed it and apart from a couple of jitters we won playing classic counter attack football..

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:55 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Surrey Saddler wrote:Just got back (one of the 200). Now I don't want to dampen any enthusiam but by no stretch of the imagination did we play well. We had three chances and took two of them. Should have won 3 -0 but when Nichols - who played well and showed great pace - put Zaboub through, he hesitated and lost a golden opportunity. Colchester were poor, had 70% of the game, won every 50:50 ball but had no penetration. That said - I guess that means our defence played well. Still, 3 points. Let's hope it gives the lads the confidence to push for a play off place.

Cheers for the report. The emboldened bit is why we must have Michael Ricketts in the team. Call him lazy if you like, slate him all you wish, but give him a decent chance and he'll finish it.

Delighted we won.

How did Weston do?

Played well enough to keep his place next week, but then again no one did wrong they did a job when it was necessary against a poor team.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:04 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:Just got back (one of the 200). Now I don't want to dampen any enthusiasm but by no stretch of the imagination did we play well. We had three chances and took two of them. Should have won 3 -0 but when Nicholls - who played well and showed great pace - put Zaaboub through, he hesitated and lost a golden opportunity. Colchester were poor, had 70% of the game, won every 50:50 ball but had no penetration. That said - I guess that means our defence played well. Still, 3 points. Let's hope it gives the lads the confidence to push for a play off place.

Having sat next to Surrey Saddler for the game, I can confirm his summing-up. This was a poor game between two poor teams. Luckily for us, Colchester were dire. It may well have bought Jimmy Muddle a stay of execution. Good to see Weston back in the starting line-up - why were the Colchester fans booing him - is there some "history" between them that I have missed? Nobody played superbly but nobody played dreadfully. There is nothing that a few confidence-boosting wins and more intelligent team selection won't put right!

I liked their new ground - much, much better than that pigeon-loft at Layer Road! It's very similar to the Sloppies' Prostar Stadium. However, its remote location and its limited parking facilities constitute a definite logistical problem. The free bus shuttle service to the ground was very good but I would not like to be there on 4th April when Leeds United are the visitors. I'm not sure they will be able to cope. That is not an allusion to misbehaviour, in case Beckford09 is reading this, but a worry about the sheer number of visiting fans. That said, they will have a dress rehearsal on Tuesday when the England U19 team plays there, against Germany, for an all-ticket sell-out.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:35 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Stu wrote:I still think folk talking about Top 6 are living in cloud cuckoo land, I don't think we've got the first XI or the XVI or the squad for it as things stand currently.

Well, seeing as we're only five points off it with a game in hand I think that either we have a squad capable of competing there or Mullen is a decent manager who's getting as much out of his team as could be expected. Your call... :wink:

Doesn't matter whether we're 5pts off or 50pts off, win it and we still won't be in the Top 6.

Of the 9 teams above us, we've played 6, W2 L4... The two we won were against a 9 man team who cruised past us last week and a Southend team who were in an awful run of form and have since picked up, the others quite frankly outplayed us (Leicester, Millwall, Leeds, Posh).

So, ergo, I don't think we've got a squad capable of competing with them and I maintain, as I've said since pre-season, 10th - 14th.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:49 am

King Crimson wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:An away win, and a clean sheet. It seems that our ability to score first has not diminished, and this time we held onto it.

That'll do :wink: .

It should guarantee a 3,500-4,000 crowd next week.

I agree. Hope those who travelled enjoyed the game. You deserve a win for going all that way given our recent form.

I'll be interested to see how Weston did.

Weston did very well, much as expected, but did suffer from cramp in injury time, again, as expected.

For me, him starting the game was the difference between an away win, or a draw or even a narrow away defeat.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:37 am

Willy Nilly wrote:
King Crimson wrote:I'll be interested to see how Weston did.

Weston did very well, much as expected, but did suffer from cramp in injury time, again, as expected.

For me, him starting the game was the difference between an away win, or a draw or even a narrow away defeat.

Cheers. Good to see that he made a difference. It wouldn't have been good had all the fans calling for his return been let down with a poor performance.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 am

Graydon48 wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:Anybody hear Mick Kearns' comment after the final whistle on WM, praising the 200 who 'bothered' to go. How about the fact that most of us have to pay to get to the matches, a lot of us can't afford it. He obviously hasn't heard of the credit crunch.[/quoteI
I think you interpreted that comment by Kearns the way you wanted to hear it.
It was a genuine praise for those who made the journey not a dig at those who didn't

I interpreted it the way he said it. If he didn't mean it that way he shouldn't have said it that way.

How else can you interpret 'those that bothered to come'. If he meant something different he should have it differently - 'the 200 fans that were able to make it' sounds far better.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 am

Very enjoyable day out, meeting up with fellow UTSers and old friends in the Norfolk pub. Superb entertainment on the way home by the Karoake Kids with Beaver's rendition of S Club Seven's Reach for the Stars and YGASaddler's medley of Keane hits being exceptional.

Oh, the football. Pedagogue and Surrey said it all. Three chances, two goals. We were average, they were rubbish.
Happy Days!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:45 am

good result

heading for a solid 13th place in the league

the fans wont come back

thats it

yawn

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Very enjoyable day out, meeting up with fellow UTSers and old friends in the Norfolk pub. Superb entertainment on the way home by the Karoake Kids with Beaver's rendition of S Club Seven's Reach for the Stars and YGASaddler's medley of Keane hits being exceptional.

Oh, the football. Pedagogue and Surrey said it all. Three chances, two goals. We were average, they were rubbish.
Happy Days!

Sounds like I missed a treat :(

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Stu wrote:Doesn't matter whether we're 5pts off or 50pts off, win it and we still won't be in the Top 6.

Of the 9 teams above us, we've played 6, W2 L4... The two we won were against a 9 man team who cruised past us last week and a Southend team who were in an awful run of form and have since picked up, the others quite frankly outplayed us (Leicester, Millwall, Leeds, Posh).

We did, of course, draw at Leicester.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:36 pm

yep .. sounds poor and it did on the radio but still pleased we got the win.

I heard on the radio that weston got injured though didn't he .. whats the news on that ?

MrsWS3

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Stu wrote:Doesn't matter whether we're 5pts off or 50pts off, win it and we still won't be in the Top 6.

We did, of course, draw at Leicester.

....and I don't think we've played Millwall yet or did I fall asleep for that one :)

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season